First I am glad you made it out

My 2 cents:

Believe it or not I have found that height is not a major factor as we think based on the following.

If you dress for the time of day as well as the day. No evening wear in from 6am-5pm and casual on weekends unless you have an event.

Dress your age or if you look younger go for the younger look, I know people who are older than they look and they pull off the younger look! this is both GG and TG.

Make you first outing to an ATM, Car Wash or Gas station, however do this before dark.

Before going out make sure you used the restroom and avoid any drinks and food. Drinks because you may have to go and it is not advised to go outside in public or you may also be nervous in the ladies room. Do not eat, you could be so nervous and cause you to have an upset stomach.

Go someplace where friends and family will not go to. When I started I drove 60 miles or more away from home and family, I still do this now. This works real well since in most cases people will never see you again.

Try going out early in the morning and run simple errands like to the post office or bank. If you brave again leave you area and visit 24 hours stores. Note make sure your dressing the part, no fancy clothes at 7am.

I did this and now I am more comfortable dressed and being out during all hours of the day or night. My start was to a mall that was on it death bed and one time the upset stomach hit me and it was off to the ladies room and that was nerve wreaking at first. Now I prepare and only go to the ladies room in office buildings or as needed, which is very seldom since I basically fast for about 12 to 24 hours before an outing.