Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Explaining the expression "crossdresser"

Question Explaining the expression "crossdresser"

I would love to know the thoughts of anyone who would like to see the word "crossdresser" changed. Here's why, most words, we use are compound words, 2 combined into one new one, example TRans-Gender, Trans-sexual, Bi-Sexual, etc., Now maybe this is petty but crossdresser just doesn't support a meaning, for me anyway because..1) it doesnt really describe ME, and 2)it also is used to pertain to the OTHER compund names I've mentioned.
    Now I understand if you are in a TRANSition to something else thats fine, BUT what if you LIKE BEING BOTH? Then there needs to be a distinctive word for it,... Petty am I? Maybe but my long hard thought on this subject has gone on for years. Whats your thoughts? Oh by the way my choice for a word to fit this >>> BI-GENDER !

Interesting topic -

Most of the time, the terms used to describe people's characteristics and maladies are selected by observers, professional or otherwise, and then find their way into the language. Transvestite and crossdresser are good examples, and there are a great many such terms in psychology: narcissistic, from the Greek legend of Narcissus; sadism, from the Marquis de Sade, and so on. Way, way too many to list here.

The only example I can bring to mind of a term that was promoted for use by the group it purports to describe and subsequently adopted for general use, is "gay." Unless I'm way off base, that term was originally used within their community and gradually became used by the general public.

Personally, I don't particularly like the term "crossdresser" either, yet it seems better than "transvestite," which is truly archaic. And this raises an important point. On an individual level we can truly assert that it doesn't matter what people call us, that it matters who we are. On a collective level, terminology is important. People who have no direct experience with those in our community form their initial opinions, at least partly, from the terms that are in common use. If those terms are clinical, or strange, or old fashioned, then people can't easily connect with the concept or the identity of our group. Terms that are used to highlight differences (and pathologies) also promote separation. I don't know about bi-gender. What do the rest of you think?

When I told my wife, I didn't use a label because I thought that it could easily imply things to her that I wasn't aware of. I just told her that I liked to wear women's clothing.

Sorry if this is a bit long winded. Seems you can take the professor out of the lecture hall, but you can't take the lecture out of the professor.

Banned Read only
    OK, fine by me.
    If I'm a crossresser or a cross-dresser, I'm still a man who loves dressing as a woman and I don't think any punctuation will ever change that.

my nic says it all obsessedwithpantyhose's Avatar
    i to think "we" need a new word for those of us who are not transitioning.........we just like to wear the clothes,,women wear male clothes every friggin day,shit i even seen tv ads pointing this out..to promote them wearing mens clothes even more.....

the word gay used to mean your wer very happy,,,,

in old england male members of the government wore white tights and wigs...

Banned Read only
    Women wearing mens clothes?
    Heaven forfend!
    Whatever next?

I believe that with a lot of folks, especially the folks here, the original terms have become misnomers, especially with regard to one's personal evolution. A more apt description would seem to be alternative dresser or choice dresser in many cases.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I always settled for transgender but bigender sounds more accurate. I've always thought crossdresser and transvestite simply refer to the activity driven by a wide number of motivations. I don't like the medical connection of the following but I feel it is the clearest description of my point... These words relate to the symptom not the cause.
    Yes I feel Bigender is one of the best descriptions I've heard.
    Love Modesty
    Last edited by Modesty Blaise; 03-14-2008 at 09:51 AM. Reason: misspelling vyrus

This is a very interesting topic and one worth considering for a poll. I think we all carry "labels" throughout our lives. Some are benign, some are descriptive and some are downright derogatory. I believe that both labels, crossdresser and transvestite were intended to be derogatory when they were originally used. Both terms have become common usage to describe a certain group of individuals but still carry derogatory overtones.

I think homosexual is a derogatory term just like some of the other labels placed on gay people. Webster's dictionary defines gay as joyful and happy, and I know a lot of gay people who are happy to be themselves. We need a descriptive non derogatory name to show who we are and that we're proud that we can display both sides of our personalities. Just a little food for thought here girls, perhaps we can start a movement toward a new descriptive name and new public awareness and understanding. Luv and Jill
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

I actually disagree with some of the comments made so far

Crossdresser is a fairly gently word and is not as harsh as Transvestite
    The majority of the public if asked would say they are both the same
    and would most likely mix them up with transexuals too

I can remember when Gay was a word used for fun and happiness and was not used for to describe homosexual people
    At one time Punk Rockers had a bad name but they were some of the nicest people you can meet

Language evolves over time and who knows in the future we may have a different description or the public will be better informed and not be so quick to jump to the wrong conclusions
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly_P View Post
    Crossdresser is a fairly gentle word and is not as harsh as Transvestite
    I definitely agree. And I think the term "bi-gender" has sexual connotations that may or may not be relevant for any given practitioner.

Happenin' Train Wreck Sonia Kiss's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    The only example I can bring to mind of a term that was promoted for use by the group it purports to describe and subsequently adopted for general use, is "gay." Unless I'm way off base, that term was originally used within their community and gradually became used by the general public.
    Another group that seems to be off to a good start at naming themselves is the brights.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurelanne View Post
    ...what if you LIKE BEING BOTH? Then there needs to be a distinctive word for it
    Yes, yes. Back on topic, there was a good discussion in this thread:
    http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...ad.php?t=78350

Sonia
    Public journal at wordpress.com: soniakeys.wordpress.com

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

U can call yourself, "Macaroni", for all I care

Quote Originally Posted by JessieB View Post
    I definitely agree. And I think the term "bi-gender" has sexual connotations that may or may not be relevant for any given practitioner.
    I like to dress up as a woman, nothing else that I'm aware of. So "bi" or "trans" doesn't apply to me.

I like Sal's, "alternative dresser"! Sounds better than "crossdresser", and is to the point! OK, that's my 2 cents.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

If it was not "crossdresser" it would be something else.

Why is everyone so concerned about what "society" chooses to label us.........just enjoy being you...........life is too short.

Xx Vicky xX

My definition for crossdresser is a person of either sex that dresses in the clothing of the opposite sex, and nothing else. It may be full time, part time, that doesn't matter. It has nothing to do with the sex or gender of the crossdresser, and it is not a sexual thing. That does not mean that an individual crossdresser does not care about or is not involved in a sexual situation while crossdressing. I consider myself to be a heterosexual, transsexual, mtf crossdresser. If I eventually have srs, then I will consider myself to be a homosexual female. Descriptive terms are only useful if everyone is using them with the thought of the same definition. That is why myself, as most others here, tend to stay away from using labels to describe. If we have trouble following the definitions, imagine the general public that is not involved with anything related to crossdressing or gender issues.

the problem here is that we seem to forever wish to distance ourselves from anyone who is slightly different.
    the term crossdresser applies to all of the above. if you had a word to describe every possible sub section of the transgendered, then no one would possibly be aware of them all, so it would have no point.
    We are all so different that it takes conversation before anyone can really get any kind of notion as to what motivates someone else.

Oh Oh Oh!!!!!!!!!!!!! I Got It..............BI-DRESSER.............:d

...it doesnt really describe ME
    Well it wouldn't - it simply says what you do, nothing about why and who you are because of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Carrie f View Post
    We, ‘being crossdressers.com’ are probably the single largest association of crossdressers on the planet. At the very least we could come up with a short list of possible names.
    Anyone else see a potential problem, here...
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]

Just trying be who I am. Byllie's Avatar
    First off, I'm answering this without looking at the other replies. To me, the term crossdressing is an action, something we do. The motivation for doing so is different for each of us. And that's where terms such as transgender, transsexual, etc, come into play. These terms speak to the reasons we CD. At least, that's my take on the term.
    Life comes in all colors ... so please be kind to all you meet.

Call me what you want I just love doing it.
    Angie

Even something like ‘dressing progressively’ (progressive dresser etc) gets away from all the trans, bi, sexual etc stuff). What if the term was picked up by the media and became trendy. That's not hard to accomplish. Dressing progressively (crossdressing) could go from a subculture to mainstream over night. What an excuse to wear my flats or low heels and actually say to a friend or acquaintance, ‘hey, you should try this progressive dressing deal, these shoes are definitely different but they feel so cool’. Even if he doesn't want to he's not going to think you're a pervert. Or, more to a close friend. 'I just bought some lacy panties -- I'm wearing them right now. They're great, totally comfortable'. 'Don’t think there aren’t several million men in our countries who’d love the chance to wear at least some articles of women’s clothing. Maybe a new name and a fresh start for an old activity could make the difference.

I'd be willing to toss the idea around a bit if anyone's interested. I bet there's more marketing, media and communication expertise on this site than you can shake a stick at. Carrie

And now a word from our sponsor : Progressive Wear

"Hi Jane, is that your new athletic supporter ?"

"Why yes, Carol, I bought it at my local "Progressive wear outlet. They even provide free hot coffee during the custom fitting"

" I'll have to get one. It certainly looks roomy enough for my Gerbil, Hartogs"

"And they are on sale. You know, back in 2008 this kind of purchase would have made people very nervous. But there were gender rights pioneers on websites who just kept pushing until men were allowed to wear ruffled panties to Wall Street, and leave the trousers at home. And of course, WE get to wear athletic supporters !!!"

Carol and Jane giggle, give one another high fives, scene switch to a quick shot of a fat Gerbil diving into the athletic supporter, a loud scream, followed by more giggles....and a cup of steaming hot coffee.

Call my agent.
    Last edited by Stargirl; 03-15-2008 at 12:18 AM. Reason: tidied up

Great response

I like being an instigator for dynamic output of thoughts and ideas... welll, anything else let's keep going.

Lingering Member
    Here's why, most words, we use are compound words, 2 combined into one new one, example TRans-Gender, Trans-sexual, Bi-Sexual, etc., Now maybe this is petty but crossdresser just doesn't support a meaning, for me anyway because..1) it doesnt really describe ME, and 2)it also is used to pertain to the OTHER compund names I've mentioned.
    Now I understand if you are in a TRANSition to something else thats fine, BUT what if you LIKE BEING BOTH?
    Quote Originally Posted by obsessedwithpantyhose View Post
    i to think "we" need a new word for those of us who are not transitioning
    You both make it sound like you think the word "crossdresser" is more applicable to someone who is transitioning. That's not conventional usage - when someone says "crossdressser", they usually aren't using it to describe a trans person. In fact, I'm pretty certain that the overwhelming majority of people who are transitioning do not consider themselves crossdressers.

I'm legally and anatomically female. The only way you can term me a "crossdresser" for wearing women's clothes is to completely refuse to accept my gender and sex as legitimate...

I am always happy when I wear women's clothes - not 'cross'.

Sorry for the pun. :P

crossdresser-sounds like the name of the person who dresses crosses

when you look at all the clothing ads, they are ALL listed for their specific gender, <womens, mens, boy, girl> this in lies the problem, till we can get them to just advertize clothes for HUMANS the old caveman way of thinking, double standard is never gona change

how about <unisexdresser>

how about <ill wear what ever i feel like wearing dresser> or is that to long of a word

It doesn,t matter what label we give it, we,ll still be known as crossdressers to everyone else in the world!!