Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feel ridiculous

Aspiring Member

Feel ridiculous

Recently had a job interview and decided I would have to cut my hair. Normally I wouldn't but this job would have been a big break. Now I feel completely ridiculous. I absolutely hate how I look. Anyone else ever feel like this? Sad thing is, they have no idea the sacrifice I made for the opportunity.
    Women who wear pants and skirts are shocked, just shocked a husband would do the same thing.

I might be facing the same thing, Noname, and I'm cringing at the idea. Sure hope you get the job and it wasn't all for naught.

The good thing is that for most of you it will grow back. I, on the other hand, miss out on that.
    Dana Fleming

Fearlessly Independent RebeccaLynne's Avatar

Unhappy Sorry To Hear...

that you weren't hired. I know the decision to cut your hair was a difficult one. However, it WILL grow back!
    Three years ago, I agonized over cutting my past-shoulder-length hair in order to present the "appropriate image" to my prospective employer. It was a difficult decision for me, as well. I feel your pain.
    Fortunately, I landed the job.
    Six months into it, I decided to let it grow back. Two and a half long years later, my hair is once again past my shoulders, and I'm glad to have it again.
    Noname, don't let it get to you. Get out there and get hired, then grow it long again.
    In the interim, wear a wig to achieve "the look".
    That's what I did.
    So land a good job, and remember "what's worth having is worth waiting for".
    All the best to you in your efforts.

I have a similar problem...I would love to pierce both ears, but being in management it could fall under the unprofessional category. It is a hard decision to make.
    Once in awhile, right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairytale.

Many of us are follicularly challenged so the hair stays short anyway.
    For me, Ruth is a total work of creation, including wig, make-up, forms etc., so the male me does not look in the least feminine, and doesn't need to.
    I'm not saying this should be your way, just that if you keep the two separate, there is no question of looking or feeling ridiculous.
    Anyway, I hope you get the job.
    [SIZE="2"]Always be true to yourself because the people who matter don’t mind, and the people who mind don’t matter.[/SIZE]

You have hair? How I envy you!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie C View Post
    You have hair? How I envy you!
    That was my sentiments exactly.

Gold Member
    That does kind of suck, but on the other hand, at least now you can do other interviews with a "male" haircut. After you land a good job that you want, you can probably let it grow back out.

I I know I won't have to cut mine for my next interview cause it is for a promotion within the company I am already at, so it is not like they don't know what I look like...
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

At first, I was reminded of the old saying: "I cried because I had no shoes and then I saw a man who had no feet."

I can feel your pain, however. I have always had a hair fetish, so I can't imagine how terrible it would be to have to cut your hair. You have my sympathy. But, it will grow back. I have grown to reluctantly accept my lack of folicles.
    Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right.

It is not unprofessional. Are there any women in management and do they have pierced ears? That is the questions that needs to be answered. They cannot discriminate in this manner.

Quote Originally Posted by crystal5551 View Post
    I have a similar problem...I would love to pierce both ears, but being in management it could fall under the unprofessional category. It is a hard decision to make.
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.

Lightbulb

There are plenty of women that have male haircuts (short) and they still get the job. I wouldn't cut my hair for anyone. Just ensure that you hair is neatly styled in a fem style. That is what I do and I am in upper management. I had no problem landing the job three months ago in a computer software and hardware development company.

Quote Originally Posted by MlleErin View Post
    That does kind of suck, but on the other hand, at least now you can do other interviews with a "male" haircut. After you land a good job that you want, you can probably let it grow back out.

I I know I won't have to cut mine for my next interview cause it is for a promotion within the company I am already at, so it is not like they don't know what I look like...
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.

With my work have to keep hair short. Had my ears pierced noe i have to put a flesh colored tape over them to cover. even thogh there are workers in the factory males that have on covered and hoop type in there ears. Oh i work security. I hope you get the job Girl. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Why do you have to keep your hair short? The only reason that I can think of if it is a hazard because it could get caught in a machine, but then you could wear it up so that it doesn't cause problems. It is not legal for a company to discriminate against you for hair lenght.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalece View Post
    With my work have to keep hair short. Had my ears pierced noe i have to put a flesh colored tape over them to cover. even thogh there are workers in the factory males that have on covered and hoop type in there ears. Oh i work security. I hope you get the job Girl. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Jamie I also getting a little thin on top. Unfortantly it is still part of the Male body of mine. And as far as the company I work for it is part of there grooming standards for Males. YEECH.

I also have long hair and love it. but have had it short also it's not the end of the would
    but hopefully new chapter in your life the hair wll come back hun
    Angie

I understand about the thinning, but it is not legal for the company to have grooming standards for males that are different from females for example, regarding hair length. This is simply discrimination.

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by Dalece View Post
    Jamie I also getting a little thin on top. Unfortantly it is still part of the Male body of mine. And as far as the company I work for it is part of there grooming standards for Males. YEECH.

bEEb
    Mine don't grow either. Revel in having a pretty face. I am hopeless in all of those regards.

bEEb
    They supposedly "can't" ..... but you can bet they will.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie001 View Post
    I understand about the thinning, but it is not legal for the company to have grooming standards for males that are different from females for example, regarding hair length. This is simply discrimination.

Jamie

No, it isn't discrimination. Many companies, and especially uniformed security Officers, have grooming and appearance requirements.
    Usually for males, it means hair length is above the collar, NO earrings (not even one in one ear), and IF facial hair is allowed, it must be neat and well groomed (NO ZZ Top beards, boys).

For Female Officers, hair must be worn up, no dangling or big hoop earrings.

LOL One Officer I knew, back when I was a P.O. in NY, used to have a long ponytail. He ALWAYS wore his uniform hat though, and myself and the other tour sergeants pretended not to notice the big lump under his cap. And he was NOT a CD-er.

Aspiring Member
    Hair expectations / requirements can of course vary by field. I thank goodness often that in mine (IT), long hair is very common so a simple tie-back will work for interviews.

Awww Noname,
    Dont fret, short hair can be feminine honestly. My partner has several wigs and my favourites are the shorter styles. I know that men associate femininity with long hair, but hey how many long haired blondes are their in comparison to short haired mousy's.
    I love my hair short. I am sure all you need is a bit of makeup, jewellery and bobs your uncle.
    Take care
    Bev

Aspiring Member
    Thanks for your replys all.

I did not get the job. According to someone I know who worked there. They knew I had the ability to perform the job, and I had great answers to their questions. I was not hired because I appeared nervous, and the thought was, if I'm nervous for a job interview I can't handle on the job stress. This is for an IT job FYI.

Sad thing is, with IT I could have pulled my hair back, but my bangs didn't quite reach. In any event I figure in six months I can do the mouse hair if you will.

On a positive note it wasn't all bad. At least my hair dresser gave me a trendy cut. I have a few more interviews coming up, one with the State. So while I don't like my hair cut, I will live, it will grow back.

You guys are awesome, thanks for the support.
    Women who wear pants and skirts are shocked, just shocked a husband would do the same thing.

That is one of the main reasons I will not cut my hair. If getting a job hinges on my hair then that company really needs to reexamine their priorities. The length of ones hair does not indicate ones ability to do the job. I have not cut my hair in almost 11 years and have been with the same company the same amount of time and have received a number of promotions over those years (4 to be exact). I am now looking up the ladder and with any luck will again be moving on up.

Kandis
    Someone once told me "Put on Your big girl panties and deal with it". If they only knew, I WAS ALREADY WEARING THEM.

I wear the bras and panties so my wife doesn't have to.

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.

Exactly Kandis! I couldn't agree more girl. There is no reason that anyone should have to cut their hair for any job unless the hair is a hazard, but in most cases the hair can be "worn-up". As long as we go-along with this crap that they are trying to impose on us, the longer we will have to deal with it. There is no reason at all to have a different hair-length requirement for a male and a female security guard; no reason at all! It does not affect the security guards ability to do his/her job. Other physical attributes may be considered such as level of physical fitness, but hair length or hair style certainly isn't one of them. If someone doesn't want to hire me because of my hair style, then I don't want to work from them anyway. As in the country song "they can take the job and shove it!".

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by KandisTX View Post
    That is one of the main reasons I will not cut my hair. If getting a job hinges on my hair then that company really needs to reexamine their priorities. The length of ones hair does not indicate ones ability to do the job. I have not cut my hair in almost 11 years and have been with the same company the same amount of time and have received a number of promotions over those years (4 to be exact). I am now looking up the ladder and with any luck will again be moving on up.

Kandis