Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you use women or men bathroom? what are the laws?

Do you use women or men bathroom? what are the laws?

I have yet to go in public, but wanted to know when I do, and do need to use the restrooms, do I go to the women or men's bathrooms? If i enter the women's bathroom and get "uncovered", will i be thrown in jail? vice versa? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgirlinva View Post
    I have yet to go in public, but wanted to know when I do, and do need to use the restrooms, do I go to the women or men's bathrooms? If i enter the women's bathroom and get "uncovered", will i be thrown in jail? vice versa? thanks
    That depends which country and, if the US, which state you're in?

See this recent thread for the last discussion of this..
    Last edited by Nicki B; 03-27-2008 at 06:50 PM.
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]

Personally I've never had a problem. But there is a chance if you do, that you could get arrested. In Ohio it's called "Disorderly Conduct." The code is much too long for me to post here. Basically, if you upset a female ("of ordinary sensibilities"). You can be subject to arrest. If I were you, go in get it over with, and don't stay around, in case someone calls the police. One girl here claimes to have been arrested for such an offence.

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    I've always used the ladies restroom, but be careful and respectful. Most of the time I'll try to go with a GG, and she would probably look after me a little bit. I couldn't imagine using the mens room, this would be more of a problem.
    Dana Ryan

Having a Bubblegum Crisis Priss's Avatar
    If you're presenting youreself as female, at some point in time you will have to go to the bathroom... I recommend using the ladies. Just rember it's a normal bodily function that everyone has to get done. Keep in mind that you need to do it like a female, ie you don't stand up to pee... Just go in, try not to be paranoid about it, choose a stall and sit down and do your thing. When you're finished, do the things that you would normally do, like washing your hands, check your face or clothes or whatever and depart. I wouldn't recommend getting chatty, unless you're really confident in your voice or unless there's someone you know. Afterall, this is not a place to be picking up chicks, it's a place to get your bidness done and move on.

I found my first experiences to be similar to buying female clothes the first several times. Nervous, self conscious, paranoid... Once you've done it several times, you eventually get over it and it's just old hat.
    Priss

I want to live bravely and love without fear.
    I want always to feel the wings of grace near.

We all will be Christed when we hear ourselves say...
    We are that to which we pray...
    Jewel

Banned Read only
    It depends on the state and country as stated by the above,

Also, it depends on how well your mannerisms and passability and respectfulness, and the enviroment. Try the girls going to the bathroom in comittee thang when you're with yer friends to make it more comfortable in a club or bar atmosphere (which is very informal of course) at first. That makes your more comfortable, and when you got your T down on everythang then you're ready to use it 24 7.

You can't go in there looking a hot mess though.

If your state has backwards legislation cops are evil. They will arrest you. I have been to jail and state prison. It's not a good place to T-girls, transgendered, or even homosexuals.

Where is that, Tessa?
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Tessa View Post

If your state has backwards legislation cops are evil. They will arrest you. I have been to jail and state prison. It's not a good place to T-girls, transgendered, or even homosexuals.
    Yeah cops. All of them are evil alright. Especially when you break the law and are caught.

As I've been doing a little research on Las Vegas, I understand that you cannot legally use a female restroom if your ID indicates you're male in Nevada. IMHO if you go into a female restroom with another GG you shouldn't have much problem.
    ...just your average 30 something trying to find the woman inside me and let her out to play for a bit ...

Wow... going for a pee can't be such a big deal surely??? OK I guess it helps that in Western Autralia there is no law that segregates female and male toilet facilities and the signs on the door are merely a formality and legally we can use which ever we like. I have to admit though that except at nightclubs I rarely see boys in the ladies and I have never been to the mens since going fulltime.

Seriously though, being arrested for taking a leak?????? I thought the US was supposed to be "the land of the free"?

Cathii
    [SIZE="1"]* I use the words trans-people / trans / trans community as interchangeable terms all meaning the same thing... CD's, TV's, drag queens, drag kings, transsexuals (MtF, FtM, post-op, pre-op), those that identify as gender queer, and those that don't identify as anything in particular... I just can't be bothered typing that out _all_ the time... [/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lord of the Toesocks Fire Falcon's Avatar
    Actually, I just avoid public bathrooms altogether.

I cannot go in the men's room. It scares me, and I'm further scared by an incident my friend had when he left the men's bathroom and got assaulted. However, I refuse to go into the woman's bathroom... It feels utterly wrong.

So, I keep a little thing of that hand sanitizer in the car and take it with me, use it before I eat. :) Much less stress.

Quote Originally Posted by tgirlinva View Post
    Well, you really need to check local laws. 13 states and over 300 major US cities have protected the rights of transgendered people. If you are in a major city, most likely you may use the ladies restroom. Many states don't even have laws regarding this and many businesses are going to Unisex bathrooms to avoid these issues.

Here in CA it's perfectly legal to use the restroom of the gender you are expressing. In fact, the Los Angeles Sherriff's Department recommends this, as crossdressers may be harassed or physically harmed in the well hidden men's restroom. Just follow etiquette. Go in, take care of your business sitting down with feet pointing the correct direction. "DO NOT STAND TO PEE!!!!!". Also remember that most girls start reeling off the TP as soon as they sit down. Wipe, flush and make sure you left nothing on the seat. If you did wipe it away. Wash your hands and leave. Don't spend a lot of time in there primping, unless you pass flawlessly. Walk with your head up like you belong there and exit with grace.

I have never had any problems and I have been full time for 4 years. Good luck

Love always,
    Elizabeth
    [SIZE=3]It is always our choice, who we are-Waking Life[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Cathii View Post
    Wow... going for a pee can't be such a big deal surely??? OK I guess it helps that in Western Autralia there is no law that segregates female and male toilet facilities and the signs on the door are merely a formality and legally we can use which ever we like. I have to admit though that except at nightclubs I rarely see boys in the ladies and I have never been to the mens since going fulltime.

Seriously though, being arrested for taking a leak?????? I thought the US was supposed to be "the land of the free"?

Cathii
    more like the land of the free as long as you follow the rule's.

I know I've accidently went into the girl room in male mode b/4 at the end of a long day behind the wheel of my truck, but i've never gotten in trouble for it. I think that like a lot of things that i do that are outside society's norm's here in the US. most of the people just assumed i was gay and left it at that. no big scenes, no pottie police.
    [SIZE="3"]"All I Know is that the choices we make dictate the life's we live, to thy ownself be True." Danny DeVieto Reinassance Man[/SIZE]

Ashley Lynn

This link was removed as we do not allow personal business websites without permission

Quote Originally Posted by Ami View Post
    As I've been doing a little research on Las Vegas, I understand that you cannot legally use a female restroom if your ID indicates you're male in Nevada.
    Now you tell me... Still, I wasn't male, in Nevada.

Quote Originally Posted by taylor View Post
    most of the people just assumed i was gay and left it at that.
    Eh? Why would a gay man want to use the ladies' room?
    Last edited by Nicki B; 04-05-2008 at 12:15 PM.
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Nicki B View Post
    Eh? Why would a gay man want to use the ladies' room?
    I was wondering that too.
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by CaptLex View Post
    I was wondering that too.
    you may laugh but i know some gay men that are so afriad of straight men that they refuse the men's room
    [SIZE="3"]"All I Know is that the choices we make dictate the life's we live, to thy ownself be True." Danny DeVieto Reinassance Man[/SIZE]

Ashley Lynn

This link was removed as we do not allow personal business websites without permission

Quote Originally Posted by taylor View Post
    you may laugh but i know some gay men that are so afriad of straight men that they refuse the men's room
    I'm somewhat more afraid of the reaction of the straight women, honestly. Even as partially-passable FtM, I've been stared at repeatedly and told off once or twice for being in the women's restroom.
    Remember always that you have not only the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one. - Eleanor Roosevelt

The most universal quality is diversity. - Michel de Montaigne

You do not truly own anything you cannot carry at a dead run!

‘Them as can do, has to do for them as can’t. And someone has to speak up for
    them as has no voices.’ - Terry Pratchett, The Wee Free Men

Lingering Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cai View Post
    I'm somewhat more afraid of the reaction of the straight women, honestly. Even as partially-passable FtM, I've been stared at repeatedly and told off once or twice for being in the women's restroom.
    Yes. I know butch women (who look pretty clearly like women to me (just masculine), and who *haven't* been taking testosterone) who have been hassled in women's restrooms. Sometimes, butch women get asked to leave the premises for going to the women's room.

I've never seen a gay guy in the women's room, but I can't imagine he'd be welcome there.

Hi peeps I've probably on and off but more on using the mens for the past year. I still only use the ones I feel safe in though. I did start getting funny looks off women in the ladies and I started to feel uncomfortable so I made the switch. For the first time a couple of weeks ago some young gay men questioned why I was going into the mens I was well mmmed off!! and they made a big deal of it telling others that there was a woman in the toilets. I thought if they are there when I come out I'm gonna confront them and say it how it is. Luckily they wasn't. It upset me cos its the one place I have felt totally safe. Now I have gone back to asking my gay male friends to come in the loo's with me again so I don't get hassle. It's a bummer cos if ya need to go ya need to go. Its cos my hair is longer than usual and my binders ain't working as well as they was. Just waiting for my new ones. Good luck with this one Hun it's hard I know xx Felix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Me, Myself and Felix!!

Content and Happy
    The unisex bathroom is where I feel most comfortable.

Lanore
    [SIZE="3"]Lanore[/SIZE]

Oh for more unisex toilets in this country backwards England lol!!! xx Felix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Me, Myself and Felix!!

Sejd
    If you are out and about as a woman, don't use the men's room, you might get killed. If you use the ladies room and you look like a guy in drag, you have a problem. If you feel pretty comfortable that you pass as a woman, by all means, us the ladies room. you'll be fine.
    I always use the ladies room and have never had a problem.
    hugs
    Sejd

:) Post-Op Hippie Chick CharleneT's Avatar
    Ok, well, I am in Iowa .... so there are no unisex bathrooms. I just called the Police station and asked. According to two different officers, it is illegal for a genetic man to use the ladies bathrooms here. The exception, they said, was for a Post-Op transgendered person.

So far I've been out dressed only once (well, for an extended period). That time I lined up for the men's. I did not feel I was "passing" that night, I figured it safer. As it turns out, the bathrooms at this place have only one spot anyhow..... so I could have used either. I'm going out again at the end of the month, so this issue will likely come up again. For me, when I go out, I want to stay out for quite a while and enjoy myself. Hence I cannot expect to "hold it". I really do not think that men will beat you up in a bathroom over a dress. I do not want a screaming drunk woman yelling "get that sickoo man in a dress out of the bathroom"....

In the other thread (mentioned above) there was a similar discussion to this one, I will re-ask a question from there with few answers:

If you have used the women's room, AND you caused some trouble (of some sort) by doing that, how did it go ??

C.

Semi Sane innocent angel
    I've always used the womens bathroom. Not once have I had an issue. The only time I have used the mens bath room was when the line at the womens bathroom was way to long.

But yes for safety use the bathroom you are dressed for.

Banned Read only
    I always you use the Ladies' room and have never had a problem.