Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have You Ever Felt Uncomfortable In The Men's Department?

I always enjoy shopping for clothes. It isn't really a big thing for me if I 'm in the mens or the ladies, although I'm not yet totally confident in the ladies. The thing about men's clothes for me is that I'm very metro in my male dress. I can choose jeans that make my ass look good, dress shirts that are nicely fitted, t-shirts that are good and tight. The atmosphere for shopping for androgynous or "gay" clothes is so open now, I love it.

I guess what it boils down to is that I want to look sexy as a man or a woman.
    [SIZE="3"] + = Kayla Glass[/SIZE]

I am not uncomfortable, mostly disappointed in color, choice, and style........boring. When you are lager like I am then it is only the basics that are available, I much prefer the clothes in the ladies section.
    Super Mod

Oh God, Thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

The Breton Fisherman's Prayer was engraved on a brass plaque and presented to President John F. Kennedy by US Navy Admiral Hyman Rickover.

Daintre, gone but not forgotten, R.I.P. Angel xx

Tamara

Silver Member victoriamwilliams1's Avatar
    Hey it get worst, I know all of my female clothes sizes and I have no clue to my male sizes! I Find it easier myself to shop in the womens department and I buy minor items such as hose and a few outfits as my male self and now I am beginning to shop more en fem and that I find interesting, I have not done the fitting rooms yet.
    Last edited by victoriamwilliams1; 04-01-2008 at 06:38 PM.

I have no problem with male outer clothing but male underpants, especially Y-Fronts and Boxer Shorts make me go PUKE!
    [SIZE="5"]Helen[/SIZE]

Only If

If I saw a guy in the corner wearing a trenchcoat...flashing me.....and he was reallllllllly hairy.

I have no problem shopping in the mens section, it just that I prefer women's clothes more. I don't see why a man's suit should be worth more than $400, sometimes expensive men's suits look similar to thrift store stuff! Plus men's suits are so boring! And it very hard to find small sizes, like less than a 36 R and 28 pants! I prefer skirt suits a lot and they are so varied and look tons better! I now recently bought a $100 man's suit, and that's all I ever need for interviews! I'd actually prefer to interview in a skirt suit if that were possible!

Smile Variety in Women's Department

[SIZE="4"]I hardly pay attention to men's clothes now. It's the total opposite of what I used to do. I find so much more variety in the women's department. I still buy some men's clothes but I could shop all day in the women's department.

Gennee
    [/SIZE]

I'm getting better with age. I may have started late, but better late than never!

"Don't let anyone define who you are".

Pausing To Femme-flect melissacd's Avatar
    I was thinking more about this discomfort that I had and I finally figured out why I felt that way. I realized that 90% of the male clothes that I have my ex purchased for me. I always hated shopping for male clothes and so - the aha moment - I was paralyzed because I do not know what my sizes are in male world. I understand women's clothing to a T but I do not understand male clothing styles and sizes and so on...of course since my ex and I had the falling out she no longer buys my clothes (makes sense since we are no longer together) and my male stuff is wearing out and needs to be replaced and I am lost in buying those things. Shame on me for allowing her to buy most of my stuff for 25 years. So the fear and anxiety I was feeling was because I did not know what to do.

Mystery solved! Thanks for all your wonderful replies.

What stop do I get off at? Hmmm...

I used to feel the same way when I shopped for women's clothes. I was sure everyone was watching me. Now, I don't really care if they are. The sales people certainly don't care, they just want to make the sale. With my trepidation asuaged, I found I was able to enjoy the experience much more. Instead of looking over my shoulder all the time, I was able to truly experience the wonder of women's clothing.

So, when I go to the men's department, I feel empty. There is nothing there for me that in the least way interests me. Yes, there are times when I have to buy male clothes, but they are so boring, that I make the experience as quick and painless as possible. I can't say I have felt uncomfortable doing it, just not interested in prolonging the pain anymore than necessary. Then its back to the world I enjoy:-)

Avatar Isn't Me......duh Alana65's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChanDelle View Post
    No, not uncomfortable, just don't particularly like men's clothing. I especially hate men's suits. But I do like women's suits--go figure. I only go there when I have to as I, too, find the clothing boring, shoes drab and uninspiring. I'm not a particularly snazzy male mode dresser as I just don't feel inspired by male clothing. My wife tries to get me there when we are shopping but only rarely will I comply.

ChanDelle
    ChanDelle,

You echo my thoughs exactly.

I think this shows that your identity is starting to hinge on your female rather than your male persona. I have felt the same. Frankly,I liked the feeling.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Men's department? ... I know this might sound fake, but I honestly never go there. I have a few male t-shirts and long sleeved tops that my Mother sent me in the mail for my birthday and Christmas over the years, and I sometimes wear these to work, but I never wear men's clothes at any other time. I never have a reason to go in the mens department.

Actually I take that back. About a year ago I was in the male department when I was shopping with my wife Marla because she had to get some jeans for her 17 year old son. Like you, it was not a good feeling at all. I totally felt like a "fish out of water" ... I definitely felt like this place was not for me!
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joann07 View Post
    Women shop for men's clothes all the time so it's not uncommon.
    They certainly do. I always see them wandering the racks, usually more numerous than men, and think to myself, "Damnit! Why can't I get the courage to reverse the situation and wander to the ladies' racks?"

I agree with you Melissa - my wife took me guy shopping a few weeks ago and it felt really strange - I was on the opposite side of the store to where I normally shop and I felt self-conscious

Mitch