Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have You Ever Felt Uncomfortable In The Men's Department?

Pausing To Femme-flect melissacd's Avatar

Have You Ever Felt Uncomfortable In The Men's Department?

Now here is a reversal if I ever did see one. I had not purchased any men's clothes for at least a year. Whenever I go shopping for clothes I these days I go to the women's department and in fact feel quite at ease doing so.

The other day I noticed that most of my t-shirts were threadbare and my male shoes were falling apart. I begrudgingly went off to replace them. While I was wandering in the men's department I felt very uncomfortable, as if I were in some foreign land and I felt like people were staring at me. The feelings were very real. I realized how silly I was being because I am sure that no one was staring at me there anymore than they would in the women's department. I just felt that way.

It is strange how we can get so immersed in this thing that we do that our mental processes start to change. Most perplexing.
    Last edited by melissacd; 04-01-2008 at 06:10 AM.
    What stop do I get off at? Hmmm...

Banned Read only
    Mellisa,
    Were you dressed as a woman on your trip to the mens dept.?

No I was dressed as a man in the men's department. I was just commenting on that it had been so long since I shopped for men's clothes that I felt uncomfortable and like I was in the wrong place. It was all very odd.

Banned Read only
    I cant say I've ever felt uncomfortable in the mens dept. In fact the last time I bought anything I had a laugh with a very attractive and cheeky female sales assistant.

yes

I really hadn't thought about it but I always feel uncomfo0rtable in the men's department

No. But I feel a little disappointed that I have to be shopping in the men's dept. At least for items for myself.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Silver Member
    Melissa, I too feel a bit uncomfortable at times when I shop in a mens department and think of myself as a sister or girlfriend shopping for a guys gift even though the item is for my male side. IMO the mens fashions and fabrics have been the same for too many years forcing most guys to dress alike regardless of their age or status. Isn't it strange that it's OK if GGs wear guys clothes, but if guys wear anything femme, the public calls the police!

Enjoy life, Chari

I rarely even stop and look but the quickest way into the mall is thru Macy's Men's dept. A particular shirt caught my eye on the way out so I very nervously stopped and looked. They wanted $60 for this very thin cotton shirt.

What are they thinking? I can buy two wonderful Spring Dresses for that much money.

Aspiring Member
    If I could work up the courage, I'm sure I'd be browsing the women's sections for hours. However with men's clothing I'm the stereotype: grab and pay!

have always felt like a fraud, an imposter. have to remnd myself, just act normal, you look normal, its natural to be shopping in the mens department. only showing conspicuity will make you stand out!
    oh, the pressure,
    jessie
    butterfly girl,
    [SIZE="3"]Jessie[/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

when i have a brand new hairdo
    with my eyelashes all in curls
    i float as the clouds on air do
    i enjoy being a girl!

o. hammerstein - flower drum song

I have rarely shopped in the men's department. Very few things fit me. I'm over in the boys'. Talk about lack of selection-well...unless you want to look like a boy.Ha ha
    I'm a bit old for thtat look.

Not really Melissa. They are only clothes after all. Nothing to do with who we are inside.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Women shop for men's clothes all the time so it's not uncommon.
    Because of that, I wouldn't be embarrased because I'm assuming that they think I'm shopping for a BF, SO, guy friend, or whomever.

Hugs!
    JoAnn

I love to see a beautiful woman in a nice dress, but then again, I also want to wear that dress.

No, not uncomfortable, just don't particularly like men's clothing. I especially hate men's suits. But I do like women's suits--go figure. I only go there when I have to as I, too, find the clothing boring, shoes drab and uninspiring. I'm not a particularly snazzy male mode dresser as I just don't feel inspired by male clothing. My wife tries to get me there when we are shopping but only rarely will I comply.

ChanDelle

Aspiring Member Barbara Joanne74's Avatar
    Oregon, South of Portland, North of Salem
    I too am more comfortable shopping for my girl cloths than in the mens department. Give me a Victoria Secret store full of married men as I am shopping en drab anytime before I have to go into the mens department....thank goodness my wife does my mensware shopping for me...

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChanDelle View Post
    No, not uncomfortable, just don't particularly like men's clothing. I especially hate men's suits.
    Hmm I thought only I hated men's suits.

I am not nervous in the men's dept, but I still hate being there. Men's clothes SO suck! Especially the socks and underwear, there is always a photo of some thin goofy guy grinning on the package.

In most stores I don't even know where the men's crap is.

BLEH!
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Quote Originally Posted by TGMarla View Post
    No. But I feel a little disappointed that I have to be shopping in the men's dept. At least for items for myself.
    I am right there with you girlfriend. I so would rather be shopping for my suits in the womens section. (I HIGHLY doubt my work would understand CDing at all. They would accept it of course, but I doubt they would truly understand it).

Kandis
    Someone once told me "Put on Your big girl panties and deal with it". If they only knew, I WAS ALREADY WEARING THEM.

I wear the bras and panties so my wife doesn't have to.

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.

Quote Originally Posted by MlleErin View Post
    Hmm I thought only I hated men's suits.

I am not nervous in the men's dept, but I still hate being there. Men's clothes SO suck! Especially the socks and underwear, there is always a photo of some thin goofy guy grinning on the package.

In most stores I don't even know where the men's crap is.

BLEH!
    Yeah. Men's clothes suck and are boring.
    I'm rarely in the men's department for than 10 minutes because I can find what I need in a flash, but when I'm in the women's department it's like being a kid in a candy store.
    There's so many different styles of clothes, you can spend hours upon hours browsing and trying all the lastest in fashion.
    Now, I understand why women take sooooooooooo long to shop.

Hugs!
    JoAnn

I love to see a beautiful woman in a nice dress, but then again, I also want to wear that dress.

I would not say that i was uncomfortable in the men's department as i never seam to go there , well that is until today as like you i found that i was in real need of some jeans and tea shirts for the summer just in case i need them, i made up for it thou as i also got 2 pairs of fem trousers (pants)

joanne

There's a men's department?
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

My first thought is why am I in this department wasting my money

Sometimes we dont have a choice
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Wow this is so cool, I love all of your responses.

The point that I was trying to make and I did not state this correctly so I will try adding more and see what happens.

Up until a few years ago I always shopped in the men's department and I would never have shopped in the women's department because I would have been too nervous, too afraid that I would be discovered as a cross dresser (go figure), Eventually, as I came to accept my cross dressing side, I became very comfortable with shopping in the women's department to the point where that was the only place that I would go.

The part that I found very odd was when the other day I was shopping in the men's department I felt oddly uncomfortable in the same manner as I used to feel when I shopped in the women's department. I just felt that to be a very strange turn of events. Yes I agree that it sucks to shop in the men's department, I hate it. But there are times, because I still have to live in male mode at times, that I need to go there and get some things. It just felt very uncomfortable this time, as if I were doing something wrong and as if people were staring at me for being there.

It's funny Melissa, I was thinking this very thing when you were here and we were at Sears that day. Geez, maybe if the guy clothes were a little more colorful, we would really not be so hesitant. I mean when we were kids they had all kinds of neat colors for boys and when my boys were little, they had all of these neat underoos and things.

I was just looking at some pics of the Dauphins of France (heir apparants). I come from French nobility, so I was wondering just how much of this may be in my jeans (!).Some of those guys looked pretty hot in their dresses and wigs and stuff. You call this progress? Ah, for the good old days, sword in one hand, petticoat in the other.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

The Unlucky
    I feel uncomfortable for the sheer fact that I can NEVER find ANYTHING I like in the men's dept.

Their just isn't that much variety in mens clothes.

Shirts with logo's and stupid stuff on it.

Shirts, Plain

Jeans with stupid stuff all over them

Jeans, Plain

That about covers it.

But I only really have the PX to shop at on post, those of you who know...they only have the baggiest, saggiest clothes. But if you don't want to dress ghetto well then your screwed.

To slightly change the subject. Ive always wanted to be in the girls/women's department buying clothes, when I had to be in the men's.