Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suzy flying enfemme ?

Suzy flying enfemme ?

Well I'm seriously considering flying across Australia enfemme (5 hour flight) in 6 weeks time.

I know this isn't a new thing as several girls in the US have already done this..... but it's really new to me !

The more I think about it ~ the more I want to try. So today I've just sent this email to QANTAS to get their view on the subject.

When they reply I'll post it on this thread. I think TxKimberly sent a similar letter to another airline in the US, but didn't get a reply - lets see if QANTAS comes to the party.

Hi

I was wondering what your policy is regarding Transgender persons traveling with Qantas.

Although my ID is male and the ticket will be purchased for a male (I'm a QF Frequent Flyer too) I would like to travel in May (MEL - PER) as female. I do often present in public as a female - and use female facilities such as changing rooms and rest rooms etc with no problems or embarrassment to anyone concerned.

However to travel, I would have to use my male ID at the Qantas check in counter and I'm worried that this might cause some problems.

Can you give me some advice on the subject ?

Kind Regards
    Suzy Harrison

I would say checking in my not be a problem, it Qantas has self checking like many US airlines do. Here we just walk up to the kios, swipe our driver license or ID card, answer a few questions about our baggage, and it prints out the boarding pass. Then all we have to do is go thru security and it is a published fact that TSA will accomidate the transgender person. Not being familiar with your airport security, I can not say how they will respond.

Hi Suzy,

I think you should be fine.
    Before I went flying, I checked the U.S. TSA website about transgendered passengers and, as JoAnnDallas confirmed, they have a policy about nondiscrimination against all passengers regardless of ethicity, religion, sexual identity, etc, etc. so I felt more at ease the day I flew.
    I conducted and presented myself appropriately and had no problems whatsoever, but just in case, I left some male clothes in my car in the event that there was.

The only thing I was a little more worried about was my makeup because I was sweating pulling about 80 U.S. pounds of combined luggage (i.e. large suitcase and garment bag). It was a long way from the parking gargage to check-in and walking around in 3 inch pumps seemed like I was walking up a hill the whole time.
    It felt so much better once I had everything checked in and when I stopped in the ladies room to check my makeup everything was fine.

Go for it girl!

Hugs!
    JoAnn

I love to see a beautiful woman in a nice dress, but then again, I also want to wear that dress.

flying

Have a great flight Suzy! You should not have any problem. The airline wants you as a passenger!

Eileen

Shoes, a woman's passion! debbeelee1's Avatar
    Suzy, your biggest problem may be the flight crew hitting on you!
    Hugs and kisses,
    Debbee!

Well it been one working day and I haven't had a reply yet.

Mind you they haven't quickly replied and said that "we don't want your sort on our planes" either!

JoAnnDallas ~ It's sort of the same here, but if you have lugguge to be checked into the hold, which is usually the case of course, you still have to go to the check in desk after you have used the check in kiosk.

JoAnn07 ~ Well you're the one who inspired me to do it so you should know !

Eileen ~ Thanks, well I hope they want me as well.

Debbeelee ~ Ha! - Well I don't mind the Cabin Crew hitting on me, but I'd really prefer the Flight Crew to keep themselves occupied flying the plane !

Suzy

Last edited by Suzy Harrison; 04-02-2008 at 02:34 AM.

Banned Read only
    Suzy,
    They will most definitely want your sort.
    You're a potential paying customer.
    Your sort is their sort!

Hey Suzy, Where are you going to? Anywhere near the South East of SA? I'm coming back to Perth later this month for the Fairbridge Folk Festival near Pinjarra.
    Last edited by Brianna1; 04-02-2008 at 05:21 AM. Reason: more info

Suzy Have a good flight. I know you will make it.
    I will follow my heart

Cargo

Suzy,
    It's well established by now that certain portions of our, less than worldly, societies consider CDing outre. Even many potential relationship partners balk at what they consider Baggage.

[SIZE="2"]Good news![/SIZE]

Airlines are occasionally reputed to be experts in handling Baggage .

Good flying sweetie!

Huntress

Suzy,
    very interested in what you learn!
    and very happy for you.
    agree, you will wow them.
    and to pass through the terminal and check in and security?
    you have all my highest hopes and wishes, dear.
    hugs,
    jessie
    butterfly girl,
    [SIZE="3"]Jessie[/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

when i have a brand new hairdo
    with my eyelashes all in curls
    i float as the clouds on air do
    i enjoy being a girl!

o. hammerstein - flower drum song

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post

Airlines are occasionally reputed to be experts in handling Baggage .

someone should tell the airlines that.... as banged up as i get my luggage back sometimes

she said they are "reputed" to be experts!
    wonder if they can handle the baggage some of us carry around?
    i'm at the busiest airport in wyomng right now,
    admiring the fashions, the footwear,the haistyles,
    and sometimes wondering,
    could i look as good as she does?
    or, could she be one of us?
    could he?
    could be!
    more and more.
    you go girl!
    bon voyage!
    and please tell us what you learn!
    hugs,
    jessie
    butterfly girl,
    [SIZE="3"]Jessie[/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

when i have a brand new hairdo
    with my eyelashes all in curls
    i float as the clouds on air do
    i enjoy being a girl!

o. hammerstein - flower drum song

Sending the CD in circles

Quote Originally Posted by Suzy Harrison View Post

. . . I think TxKimberly sent a similar letter to another airline in the US, but didn't get a reply . . .
    Suzy, I did indeed send a letter very much like yours to Delta airlines where I am "Gold Elite". You know what their answer was?
    "Go ask the Transportation Safety Administration (TSA)."
    You know what? I DID, and sent them an e-mail. Guess what their response was?
    "Go ask your Airline!"

The urge to try this is killing me as well but much like yourself, my travel is for work. Can you imagine what would happen if I miss a flight to a customer because they wouldn't allow me through the check point? My other fear is that these days, air travel in the US is pretty hit and miss. I can't recall the last time I traveled where there weren't delays, canceled flights, lost bags, etc. I was making a 6 our trip to Detroit once that wound up being a 16 hour trip with no luggage at the far end. Can you imagine what I would have looked like at the end of that? The thought sends chills up and down my back! lol

Day 2

2 days and no reply yet from Qantas - I'll give it another day and follow it up - they won't escape me!

Angela ~ you are right of course and the company I work for spends thousands with this airline each year flying me around.

Brianna1 ~ sorry no, I'm going to Melbourne

Dalece, Huntress, lu-bunny ~ I used to work for a famous British Airline - they actually sacked a pilot who wore a bra while flying !

jessielee ~ Thanks keep an eye out for me too!

TxKim ~ This will be for work too, but it's the return journey which makes it a little easier. Flying over here is still pretty easy. In all the years I've flown here I've only ever been delayed 1 hour so that's okay.

But knowing my luck the plane will be hi-jacked to the middle east, probably Iran or Syria !... That's a point I wonder what I'll look like in one of those black hijab numbers

Last edited by Suzy Harrison; 04-03-2008 at 07:47 AM.

Platinum Member

Dalece, Huntress, lu-bunny ~ I used to work for a famous British Airline - they actually sacked a pilot who wore a bra while flying !
    Something similar happened to a VERY good friend of mine in 2001 you can read it here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1527954.stm
    Last edited by Kieron Andrew; 04-03-2008 at 08:30 AM.

Aussie girl enjoying life Michelle (Oz)'s Avatar
    Hi Suzy

I have flown many times now en femme with Qantas and staff from check in to flight attendants are exceptionally professional, courteous and friendly. In fact, I would rate Qantas as one of the most accommodating of organisations to cross dressers. As a frequent flyer just show your membership card at check in. You won't get "funny" looks or be made feel uncomfortable. As always in public be confident.

I did change my seating preference from aisle to window and I board early if en femme to give me a chance to recognise people I might know and to control my environment a little. I also check in my roll on to avoid having to worry about bags. If I have a computer I put it in a satchel which I carry on plus my hand bag of course.

The airport security people are similarly very professional and friendly. I am called "m'am" even though I don't pass.

Don't worry if you don't get a response from Qantas. Their performance speaks for itself. I did check into having a female boarding pass issued but that wasn't possible for security reasons.

You will get a great buzz from flying. It is very intense being exposed to a lot of people with time on their hands to people watch and in close proximity to your fellow passengers. Flying en femme remains my favourite outing and gives me a great high.

I look forward to you telling us about your experiences.

Michelle (Oz)

Michelle ~ Hi Michelle - and I do remember you writing to me on this subject some time ago. What worried me a little, is when you said you didn't pass, which implies that maybe they can tell who you are from your male ID cards. Well my male ID cards look like they are for someone else ! - and that's a concern for me.

Kieron Andrew ~ Wow - and did you see the date? - before 11 Sept 2001.
    Mind you the $50,000 would come in handy !

Kieron, I am

not surprised at the airline response since in general, the great American public is obsessed in negative ways about sex. One proof is the rate of teen age pregnancy exceeding many European rates.

I see our TSA has to do some more senstivity training after the pericing incident.

Quote Originally Posted by JoAnnDallas View Post
    I see our TSA has to do some more senstivity training after the pericing incident.
    Yeah. I heard about that incident
    But, the passenger should also be smart enough, or have common sense, to know that if she's going to fly that she should take them off prior to going to the airport, or going through security, so as to avoid such an event.

Me, I make sure to take off anything that's metallic whether is my watch, keys, pocket change, etc, etc. It's better to be safe than sorry.
    Last edited by joann07; 04-03-2008 at 10:24 AM.
    JoAnn

I love to see a beautiful woman in a nice dress, but then again, I also want to wear that dress.

Accent

But knowing my luck the plane will be hi-jacked to the middle east, probably Iran or Syria !... That's a point I wonder what I'll look like in one of those black hijab numbers
    Just make DAMN sure you lay the Australian accent on thick and heavy - you wouldn't want them mistaking you for an American. Funny thing, they aren't real fond of us over there. . .

Quote Originally Posted by joann07 View Post
    But, the passenger should also be smart enough, or have common sense, to know that if she's going to fly that she should take them off prior to going to the airport, or going through security, so as to avoid such an event.

I fly every month and the TSA agents are always telling people to leave their jewelry on that it wont bother anything.... i wear 3 rings, my tongue ring and up to 8 earrings through and have never had a problem...

The only problem I could foresee is if you pass so well you don't look at all like your id. If you look like a female version of yourself you should do fine. If you look like an Arab or Persian, then you have a problem.

Pamela

Aussie girl enjoying life Michelle (Oz)'s Avatar
    Suzy

Not passing to more than the casual observer perhaps makes the "Mr" on the booking and the "en femme" more easily reconcilable for the check in staff. It also heightens the excitement.

It isn't the TG policy of Qantas that is of concern (my experiences are relevant there)but how to prove your identity.

Michelle (Oz)