Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does the media ignor us

Aspiring Member Sasha Anne Meadows's Avatar

Why does the media ignor us

The Internet has confirmed that the number of cross dressers around the world is vast and varied. We come from all occupational, social, religious and political catagories. Yet almost nothing is ever written about us in the media. True there is an occasional story about someone adopting to living as the opposite gender as part of going through SRS and an perhaps a bizarre story about the high school principal arrested for DUI in drag. But for the most part we are merely ignored. Why haven't the media discovered us?

Not sensational enough Sasha. We are only trying to understand ourselves and others, where's the headline grabber in that? Not to mention most people don't get it unless it appears to be an abberation. Now, how many people got killed today in war, disasters or accidents or which public official or movie star jaywalked--that's news! Sad really.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

We are gradually being featured more and more in television programs

It also seems we are in more normal roles
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha Anne Meadows View Post
    The Internet has confirmed that the number of cross dressers around the world is vast and varied. We come from all occupational, social, religious and political catagories. Yet almost nothing is ever written about us in the media. True there is an occasional story about someone adopting to living as the opposite gender as part of going through SRS and an perhaps a bizarre story about the high school principal arrested for DUI in drag. But for the most part we are merely ignored. Why haven't the media discovered us?
    Welcome to the real world of women Sasha. You get used to it in the end. Lets face it how many CDs want media attention any how, most of them prefer to be anonymous and live in the closet.
    Bev

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly Preston View Post

Which is a little boring of television.
    Dana Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by danar View Post
    Which is a little boring of television.

I did say more nornal not completely

Things like some CD ending up in hospital after an accident
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Platinum Member
    Personally i think it would be a GOOD thing if the Media DID ignore us and let us merge into society, because the type of attention CDs usually get is bad press anyway

I think unless one of us does something to get attention we aren,t regarded as newsworthy. I would doubt the headline "Man walks down the street dressed as a woman!" would sell any extra newspapers.
    Also the Agony Aunts don,t seem to regard what we do as being a particular problem in itself, normally saying something like "lots of guys dress as women in private".
    Maybe we are just slowly being accepted as not that unusual or anything special!!

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deborah jane View Post
    Maybe we are just slowly being accepted as not that unusual or anything special!!
    and of course thats a good thing! right?

Quote Originally Posted by Kieron Andrew View Post
    and of course thats a good thing! right?
    Exactly!! I think thats what most of us would prefer!

well look at it this way, they just think we are normal woman having normal lives. love lucya, xxxxxxx
    i am lucya even tho i was born male, under the thin skin you will find a ture woman. a woman sole is stuck in a man body, i really cant wait until next year or so, when i finnaly become my ture self 100% woman.

Do we need the media? I think yes because it would help the young transgendered people coming behind us understand what we didn't.

How do we do it? Advertise ourselves if we are brave enough. The media love stories about us because nobody really understands us.

I don't think were ignored. I just think we need to do it better and be more organised
    I strut my stuff, I feel so proud,
    I need to shout, to scream out loud,
    I am Tricia I am she,
    I am who I want to be

http://tricia-dale.blogspot.com/

They don't ignore us they try to exploit us and show the world how bad we are.
    Ladies have a GREAT time!
    Smile GOD LOVES you!!!
    GOD BLESS US ALL!!!
    AMY Hepker

ROSES ARE RED
    VIOLETS ARE BLUE
    I'LL BE ME
    AND YOU BE YOU

Like Salandra has said , not sensational enough plus the fact that you have so many different types of CD all wanting their own type of freedom , if you take out the closet Cd and the fetish Cd at one end then the Tg at the other end it leaves you with a few in the middle which on the most part want to merge in quietly, in one sense it is the diversity of cding that is the one thing against us all wanting something slightly different.
    I know from the past that i should not make comparisons so i am just using this group of people for a lose comparison, if you look at the gay scene you are ether gay or not so when they are fighting for gay rights it just means one thing , but if you started to fight for cross dressing rights it would mean different things to different people so could you ever get everyone to agree where to start and how .

joanne
    Last edited by Joanne f; 04-03-2008 at 04:34 PM.

There was a nice long paper on crossdressing in "Paris Match" in December 2005". Were featured members of the ABC (Association Beaumont Continental) which is primarily for crossdressers even though a few members are also transsexuals.

Recently the French and the Belgian television have independently produced programmes on crossdressing which were portraying it rather positively.

Crossdressing was also mentionned in another television show on "What is virility today?" Among the examples of different virility was a crossdresser. Again the presentation was rather positive.

In Belgium there is also a reality show about a makeover destined to women who would like to improve their look. One of the participants is a crossdresser... I call that real mainstreaming, that is, having a crossdresser participating in a television show that isn't about crossdressing.

These TV shows definitely have an impact on the public. A couple of month ago I went shopping "in drab" at C&A in Brussels. When I mentionned that the skirt and the top were for me, the sales attendent told me" Ah yes... I know, I have seen a television show about people like you..." And she became very friendly with me, giving me plenty of advice on matching the skirt and the top ...

Eugenie

Banned Read only
    because most are to busy hiding to be found.
    Hiding from partners, society, work.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieron Andrew View Post
    Personally i think it would be a GOOD thing if the Media DID ignore us and let us merge into society, because the type of attention CDs usually get is bad press anyway
    i think your right ... as people become more open minded as things become more accepted one day it will be no big deal if you want to dress as the opposite gender or for that matter become the opposite gender..........

Because we are almost invisible! If a Cd works it right, he can have the best of both worlds. Be a CD when he wants, be all male when that suits the situation. And Most Cds want this situation to remain The Status-Quo...it's in their best interests.

TS Sista's haven't got any choice. 24/7 means you have to be visible. The Gay Community simply got tired of hiding and being harassed. So they got politically active and now they have a general grudging tolerance.

I have said it before, we could have instant recognition. It's real simple, tomorrow or some day next week, millions of us suddenly hit the street and proclaim our status. Then, we start asking for our Rights!

However, don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen. Things are going to have to get lots worse, before most anybody will do anything. A few brave individuals, a scrimmage here or there, but 99.999% will hide and do nothing. Don't get fooled by Daytime Talk Shows either. Aside from our value when "Sweeps Week" rolls around, " Wow martha, look at The Freaks," the media has no use for us. And,THAT'S WHY WE GET IGNORED!

Peace and Love, Joanie
    Last edited by sterling12; 04-03-2008 at 05:37 PM.

I am surprised the media have not gone hell for leather to find as many CDs who are in positions of power as possible, to out and ridicule. Surely this would be easy money for the paparazzi. If they can chase minor celebrities there must be a few politicians in this country (not the New York mayor whose name slips my memory and I can not be bothered to look up) that are CDs . Maybe the Media people are all CDers and that is why they do not chase us. Are there any Media people reading this who are CDs, I guess they would not own up for fear of being chased and photographed. Are there any politicians who are reading this that would like to make a comment.

The other year A.B.C. had a show on from N.Y. about a place called lighthouse. it was about TGs But thy did a good job about
    it and not a butcher job.

Pam

Get fully dressed and then go out and do something really stupid. Then the media will notice. Otherwise just enjoy being who you are, when you can.

Down into the Easy Chair SweetCaroline's Avatar
    I have a feeling that, it time, it will happen. We will get positive media exposure. As long as it's on our terms, and not on theirs. And as long as it's not of the Jerry Springer variety of exposing transgendered, that only leads to further ignorance and miss-education.

We're out there. We're proud. But we ain't in the news because we ain't breaking laws, but behaving ourself, and the media has no interest in that sort of thing.
    Caroline Emily
    Co-Moderator
    SISTERS FAMILY

Gardner Chapter
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sisters_of_gardner/
    Worcester Chapter
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sisters_of_worcester/

Family is the most important thing in the World.

Thinking about this, I do recall some years back when they used to hold the "Paradise in The Poconos" annual CD event near where I live. I wasn't "out" at the time but a local TV news station did have coverage of it and talked with some of the folks. I felt it was done in a very tasteful, informative and professional way. The event has since been moved to Maryland, so I'm not sure if it gets any coverage there.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

As some one that works in marketing, it all comes down to money. If they can't find an angle that makes them money or rating them media does not care about it.

Kimberleigh Ann

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly Preston View Post

Certainly on television in the UK, more and more trans people seem to be popping up, whether on Big Brother, quiz shows, Dirty Sexy Money (which just started over here) or this week's latest reality show, Breaking Into Tesco? (See the comments about Winnie, at the bottom - do I need to explain Lily Savage?)

Don't we just want to be part of the ordinary fabric, rather than the freak show?
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]