Thread: OMG, Buying Gowns for $2

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

OMG, Buying Gowns for $2

Ok, I talk a lot about shopping at my favorite store, a big Goodwill center about 7 miles away. Well, someone left a big box of clothes next to our dumpster. I threw it in the back seat with idea of taking it up there tomorrow. But it started to smell up my car. There's a small, local SalArmy store that I was going by. I dropped the clothes off there.

I walked inside for the first time in years. While wondering around the sparse ladies dept, they announced all clothes were $2 for the next hour! I asked the clerk if that meant the gowns marked $25 and $35, too? She said everything but the wedding gowns!

The store was filled with ladies. All going for the kids things, every day dresses, and coats. I bundled 6 fab gown/prom dresses up to the counter before she could change her mind! Needless to say, this MADE MY DAY!

Question: Does this happen often at SalArmy? Maybe I won't wait 2 years before going back again!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Silver Member
    I shop the Sal Army store here very often but have never heard of them offering such a sale. Can't blame you I would have jumped on that deal right away. Actually the local SV store is a great place to find really great clothes at a cheap price. They have never questioned me about my purchases and I always have a good expierence when I go there. I would recomend the SA stores and thrift stores in general to anyone who is looking to find a good deal on clothing.

Many, if not most, thrift shops have various sales. Typically, "senior citizen" discounts one day each week and clothing tags of a certain designated color may be 25 or 50 percent off for the week for everyone. We had a local SA store that occasionally offered the colored tag clothing sales at ten cents each. Do you know how many garments you can purchase for ten dollars at that price?

Quote Originally Posted by Eva Marie View Post
    We had a local SA store that occasionally offered the colored tag clothing sales at ten cents each. Do you know how many garments you can purchase for ten dollars at that price?
    Yes. About 1000 (minus taxes and such).

The salvation army near my place has sales I'd say once a week, seemingly randomly where they mark everything as 50% off. Its usually like "until 6pm" or something, which means I usually miss it. Value village has that sale a few times a year too, but at value village people go crazy when the sale is on.

Silver Member
    Shopping at SalArmy is always a good place to find unusual and sometimes vintage items at very reasonable $. Trying on clothes is not a problem either, but on big sale days you may have to wait to get into a changing room. I have found many cute femme outfits that fit well and even had a SA offer to help me match up skirts and tops, even though I was in guy clothes. Wonder if she could tell I was "underdressed"?

Enjoy life, Chari

With the sizes I need to wear I don't seem to find much in places like that (SA or Goodwill), however I do go to a " big gals consignment" shop nearby and their prices are a little higher, but not much, I can buy size 3x dresses for about $10 that are great looking and fit. Not once have it been treated with anything less than respect, by the other patrons and the staff. It does bother me though when the other patrons bring their kids along and they wander around the store.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

I live within an easy driving radius of several thrift stores in the Buffalo/Niagara Falls NY area.

At certain holidays, most of them have some kind of sales.

A lot of them regularly offer discounts on certain color tagged items.

I'm retired and 57 so I qualify for the senior citizen discount.

Goodwill generally has a 25% senior discount on Tuesdays.

Amvets has a 25% senior discount on Mondays. They also give 10% off to people with armed forces ID every day.

At 2 Salvation Army stores Wednesday is Family Day with clothing 50% off all but one of the 5 different tag colors.

There are also 2 Buffalo City Mission thrift stores which have a senior discount of 10% all the time and 20% on 2 days a week (Mon & Wed), plus a lot of other discounts.

Our SA store has 50% off the whole store at least 2 times a month. Good will has it too some times, but their sales are usually some % off colored tags. But my all time favotites are, The Christian Foundation has 5$ a bag days on Wednesdays and Saturdays. You can stuff an awful lot of clothes into a brown paper grocery bag.
    There is a local hospital thrift store that has on occasion 2$ a bag sale, They have short daily hours, so I don't get to take advantage of that sale too often. The litttle old ladies that run this shop are very nice and helpful. They take your clothes up to the register and fold them nice and neat, put them in the bag, and tell you how much room is left in the bag, so you can keep shopping til it is full. They have never said anything about all I ever buy is women's clothes. It is such a treat to shop there, I just wish their hours were longer so I can stop in more often after work.

That's interesting Jadeanne

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeanne View Post
    Goodwill generally has a 25% senior discount on Tuesdays.
    Our Calif Goodwills only give us Seniors 10% off on Tuesdays!
    Years ago, they used to have one day when EVERYTHING in clothing was $1 each. Much of my ladies wardrobe collection dates back to those $1 days!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Overstocked

Stores vary. I get aggrivated when they insist upon charging 4.99 for a blouse that was 2.99 in a dollar store. Sometimes, the racks are packed so tightly, the hangers won't move. Would it kill some of them to give the public a break ? They need to move the things out of there to make room for new donations, and some of the thrift shops try to be too "retail". They talk about high rent, and all, but so what ? I prefer to support the not so "huffy" shops. I like bag sales. It's kind of comical to grab something, only to find myself laughing because it is just the wrong thing. I grabbed with my emotions, not my common sense. And with flourescent lighting, the clothing may not look as good as it would flying a kite. My favorite thrift shops are in old tiny towns. Wood floors, strange, but friendly staff. The Twilight Zone thrift shop. Yes.

My wife & I visit the Goodwill store occasionally and I always check out the bin with womens socks/panties. I'm NOT into used panties but I do occasionally find some nice stocking for next to nothing. Even found some really nice hanes sheer stocking a couple of times. I've also bought a couple black slips and a really nice long black nightgown that I really love! I can't remember how much they were but probably not more than a buck or two.

I've never seen it. I think you got real lucky hun.
    Angie

The SA store in my area usually has tag sales (the normal tags being one color and the sale tags different). I have found some great bargains at Sal. Army, the kicker is they dont have dressing rooms so I can't try anything on. The good thing is, I'm old enough to qualify for the seniors discount. Luv and Jill
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

In New Zealand we call them "OP" shops, short for 'opportunity' I think.
    These shops have perfect clothes at $1,$2, up to $15. We also have $2 2nd hand clothes warehouses.
    They have regular sales and you get amazing bargains.

Just as a handy hint, these stores, and I can't think your goodwill stores would be any different, source stuff locally and sell locally. So if you pick out the wealthiest suburbs and go to the local goodwill shop, you will get the best quality clothing in the city! Rich people throw more stuff out (in better condition) more regularly than poor people!!

Go to it girls!
    Hugs Jazzmine
    PS 1 Don't worry about trying things on - if you get home and it doesn't fit just donate it back --Geez it's only $2!
    PS 2 You can shop for ages anonymously because it's a gender free atmosphere!
    Last edited by Jazzmine; 04-17-2008 at 08:46 PM.
    I'm happy being male but happier in a skirt!
    I'm a strong man on the outside and a strong woman on the inside.

Good points Jazzmine

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmine View Post
    In New Zealand we call them "OP" shops, short for 'opportunity' I think.
    These shops have perfect clothes at $1,$2, up to $15. We also have $2 2nd hand clothes warehouses.
    They have regular sales and you get amazing bargains.

Just as a handy hint, these stores, and I can't think your goodwill stores would be any different, source stuff locally and sell locally. So if you pick out the wealthiest suburbs and go to the local goodwill shop, you will get the best quality clothing in the city! Rich people throw more stuff out (in better condition) more regularly than poor people!!

Go to it girls!
    Hugs Jazzmine
    PS 1 Don't worry about trying things on - if you get home and it doesn't fit just donate it back --Geez it's only $2!
    PS 2 You can shop for ages anonymously because it's a gender free atmosphere!
    Quite often, the quality items I buy, still have the original price tags on them! Two of the gowns from yesterday had tags! I DO donate a lot of items back. Not as much as the old days tho, when I was fairly clueless about what sizes fit me!

There r no second hand stores in Russia!