Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do They Need To Know? Answer If You Have Children

Do They Need To Know? Answer If You Have Children

Should you tell your kids that you dress or is it better not to burden them with it?

Hmm...mine are too young really, (6 months, 3 and 6) but the elder two have seen me dressed en femme so to speak. They just think it's funny but don't have anything bad to say about it. In fact, someone was laughing about a crossdresser around our house and the 6 year old piped up with 'There's nothing wrong with people wearing whatever they want, so there!'
    'I swear on tomorrow if you take this chance, our lives are the moment the music, the dance...' - Savatage

Fearlessly Independent RebeccaLynne's Avatar
    I have two daughters, ages 20 and 23. Neither lives with me, and unless there becomes a compelling need to disclose my CD'ing, they'll never know.

Unless my ex-wife or my GF tells them.

And if the latter in the above sentence occurred, my GF would be an ex, too.

My daughter's image of me is as their dad.

And that's my responsibility to uphold.
    Last edited by RebeccaLynne; 04-23-2008 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Clarified consequences of GF blabbing!

My daughter is 15. She has no clue about dadd'y part-time life, and she has no need to know.
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

My two are in their 20's and still live at home. I told them a couple of years ago. My daughter didn't care and has seen me a couple of times, she even said I look nice. My son just had a goofy grin and has never said anything and has never seen me. I told them to save us all the embarrasement of being caught. Now if I'm caught, it's not as big of a shock. I hope!

I never told my kids, but I think they may know. After all, if you have panties in your dresser and slips hanging up in your closet like I do, chances are they have snooped while your not home and have seen what's in there. But I would not tell them unless there was a reason too. Like it or not, poeple DO look at you differant once they know.

Senior Junior Member Lisa Renee's Avatar
    I really don't know if kids actually need to know about your cding. I have 2 daughters one will be 32 next month, and the other will be 27 in Aug. I told both of them when they were about 15. Neither one had any problem with it. My yougest sells Avon and Mary Kay, and I have bought items from her for me. My oldest has bought jewlery and clothes for me a time or 2. So in my case no problems have come up.
    Lisa Renee

Neither one had any problem with me. there great kids only problem is they still call me dad ... i don't care as long as they just call me
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

do they NEED to know

NO!!! however, if done at the right time in their lives and done properly, I see no reason to keep it from them and it is definately a burden off your shoulders if they do know. the question, DO THEY NEED TO KNOW? SIMPLY ANSWERED IS NO THEY DO NOT.
    Both of my boys know. Both accept it and me as I am. One kind of encourages it the other just doesn't want to deal with it but he talks to me more about it than the other.
    No these are not womens clothes!! THEY ARE MINE, EVEN THE HEELS. (update 4/01/10) THEY ARE NOW ! ! !

My kids know, my daughter is now 20 and my son is 13, they both have known since they were both real young. My X used to yell at me about it and it was not possible for them not to know. She used to call me everything you can think of. I do not believe in my mind that it has done any damage to either one of them and my son is going through conseling and my dressing is not the problem.
    Ladies have a GREAT time!
    Smile GOD LOVES you!!!
    GOD BLESS US ALL!!!
    AMY Hepker

ROSES ARE RED
    VIOLETS ARE BLUE
    I'LL BE ME
    AND YOU BE YOU

No I think that thay do not need to know it is my life. Yes I know that thay are mine but it is still my life. My daughter is 18
    going on 19 she may all ready know about me, I think she outed me about 6 weeks ago but did not say any thing to me.
    Pam

Now that my kids are in college (and less affected by peer judgment) I am willing to consider telling them (before someone sees me out and beats me to telling them)

I don't think so. Mine don't.
    Angie

When my son and his family moved in with me, I decided to tell them after being caught in my heels by the daughter in law. As for the grandkids, the oldest is 2, I have been trying to avoid having them see me dressed until they are older and able to understand better but they will know eventually and I would rather that they found out from me before they catch me.
    Sister will you…
    Make believe…
    Play dress up…
    Let me be the Princess…
    Tell me stories in the dark…
    Always be my friend?

It all depends on the people and the situation. Last year I felt that my daughter, 27 and lives at home, probably knew something. I was concerned that she knew just enough to be worried about me and her mother. So I eased into it and eventually told her. She's had no problem with it and started borrowing my clothes and lending me hers. The three of us go out together and have a great time shopping.

Granted, it is about your life, but your children ARE a big part of your life too. I will tell my son when he is ready, not because I want to tell, but because I don't want to lie. The kids deserve to hear it from me and not find out by accident some time.
    Sally

I have two kids, both living at home, son is 26 and daughter is23 and both know dad crossdresses.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76795368@N07/

International Men Can Wear A Dress Too Day, Tuesday, May 15 2012

Aspiring Member
    my life is my life,that being said, its not only my life that i effect. there is a time to tell all and not such a good time too.we will all know when its time to educate not indoctrinate.Educate our children to be aware of the things in life we cant change, to deal with the things that cannot be overcome. to live life to the fullest we ourselves can be.like they say, make lemonade!!

No. It's none of their business and I can't imagine what good it would do. I don't think they would care that much but since they already think I'm crazy (in a good way) I can go without adding stuff.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Mine's 13

Quote Originally Posted by Jodie_Lynn View Post
    My daughter is 15. She has no clue about dadd'y part-time life, and she has no need to know.
    Ditto!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Aspiring Member
    Ohh, but it is their business. You are the Parent, You have total control of all of their feelings.What you do effects everything in their lives. i'm not getting on to you but just think about it. What you do now will effect their life. If they see it and are a part of it. They cannot understand that we have a different view of life "cause we been there".

Quote Originally Posted by Sally24 View Post

Granted, it is about your life, but your children ARE a big part of your life too. I will tell my son when he is ready, not because I want to tell, but because I don't want to lie. The kids deserve to hear it from me and not find out by accident some time.
    Only you know when it's the right time to tell. I've told all 5 of my children, at different times as the need arose, and all my grandchildren also know that grandpa likes hi-heels. To me it is an honesty issue. If you expect your children and/or loved ones to be honest with you, You have to be honest with them. Honesty is the biggest issue with my wife and I now tell her everything. In the long run your children will respect you more if they aren't lied to or decieved.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Shine On You Crazy Diamond
    Luv Jamie

Finally Liberated :)
    Only IF you are confortable telling them and only if you can help them understand properly.

That kind of member Jamie Parks's Avatar
    I have a 13 year old step daughter we told her about a year ago and she is actually more supportive than my SO... she kinda already knew she has caught quick glimpses of me over the years. For us telling her has been no drama at all

Jamie

My step son is 10 he's seen me dressed for new years parties a few times... I think he's seen a few other times too.
    My kids eldest boy is 3 and my youngest daughter is 3 months so they're not really old enough to know but just because the eldest is around it's best they all not know what dad does.
    i am what I am, I do what I do..
    i do not seek approval from others.

Depends on a lot of things. I told my daughters (in a moment of weakness - I didn't mean to) last year.

Eldest (18) thinks its cool and has no problem with it
    Twins (15) find it hard to cope with and hate the thought, even now they are sixteen

It was a mistake which I regret. One thing i wouldn't do in retrospect is tell them while they are still living with you.
    I strut my stuff, I feel so proud,
    I need to shout, to scream out loud,
    I am Tricia I am she,
    I am who I want to be

http://tricia-dale.blogspot.com/