Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breast forms, to attach (glue) or not!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Breast forms, to attach (glue) or not!

[SIZE=3]I am starting this post simply as a place for everyone with breast form experience to post their findings, in an effort to help others not make the same mistakes we have made in the past.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Breast forms come in every size and material imaginable but this post is limited to the silicone forms that may be attached via some form of adhesive.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I wear my forms daily to work, they are asymetrical and fairly large but that isn't the point. I glue them on daily and have found what works for me might work for others and I wanted to share those experiences. The picture I attached with this post is of me wearing a halter top with medium sized forms, obviously no bra. (see how I always manage to work a picture of me into everyone of the posts I can...)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]For years I used Hollister 7730 medical grade silicone adhesive, a 3.2 ounce can usually lasts me 3 weeks of daily use. Then someone on this forum talked about 3M Super 77 Multipurpose Adhesive, a product found in every large home store, at Wal-Mart, virtually everywhere and the can is 16.75 ounces. I sneered at the mere suggestion that some over the counter spray on glue would do what I wanted it to do.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]One other fact that you need to know before I go on, I use Goo Gone to remove my forms daily, no skin irritation, no degradation of the forms, no problems whatsoever after over three years of hard use. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Back to adhesives. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]-Hollister 7730 is about $25 to $40 per can depending where you buy it. I usually buy it on eBay and pay about $20 per can with shipping. I generally get 23-25 applications per can. Application time is withing 5 minutes of spraying the adhesive on the forms, after letting them "kick off" a bit so they don't slide. If you wait too long another application of adhesive is needed to revive the first coat.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]-3M Super 77 is about $10 per can for the aforementioned 16.75 ounce can. 3M Super 77 lasts around 140 applications for me. Applications time (and I am still experimenting) is within 10 seconds to 15 minutes spraying only the breast forms, which is the same for both products. The adhsesive is just as aggressive as the Hollister and actually seems to hold better, tighter to my skin. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Both clean up easily with Goo Gone. My procedure to remove breast forms after wearing them.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]-I place a few sheets of paper towels on the edge of the kitchen sink, I lean over until my chest immediately below the breast forms is against the papertowls holding them in place. I spray Goo Gone onto my chest above the breast forms and let it trickle into the glue. I help it along a bit by spraying and gently prying up an edge of the form to allow the Goo Gone to seep into the glued area. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Once the glue starts to break down, I let gravity drop the forms onto the paper towels while spraying Goo Gone on the freshly exposed glue line. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Never try to pull them off too fast, you will regret the tears and abrasions on your skin for weeks to come. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Once the forms are lying on the paper towels, I take a brush of some sort and spray a bit more Goo Gone onto the freshly exposed surface of the breast form and scrub gently to emulsify the remnants of glue. Then I add Dawn or whatever liquid dish detergent to the flat surface of the form and rub it with my hands until all the Goo Gone is emulsified and has broken down. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Then rinse in warm water and take them into the shower and wash with hair shampoo to get the remains of any chemicals off them. Lay nipple down and let the form dry. I pat them dry with a towel and let them sit, until the next time I wear them. If they are not going to be worn for more than a couple of days I put them back in their shaped box for storage and safety.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]None of my forms shows any degradtion of the outer layer at all, in fact they look as good as the day I received them.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Self adhesive breast forms. I have two pair that I have worn many times. Both pair suffer from slippage if I don't wear a bra, and I rarely do. When I get warm and start to "glisten" (remember women don't sweat, they "glisten") the forms will sometimes start a gentle slide down, pretty noticable. that is just my experience, some people wear them with no problems whatsoever.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Other adhesives: CharleneT just suggested a product named Stick it available from a medical supply sales company. I have no experience with this product and cannot comment other than to say the expense is greater than the 3m but less than the Hollister. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]OK, thats my $4 worth, anyone else that has more experiences please post so that we all can see what works for others.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Your wordy sis,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Tami[/SIZE]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am a licensed Cosmetologist (hair stylist, not cosmonaut), work as a hair and wig stylist, makeup artist and permanent makeup artist, dressed as you see in my avatar and albums.

My web site www.apparentlyfemale.com

I have over 2,500 pictures on my Flicker site located at http://www.flickr.com/photos/9315394@N02/

Hi Tamara

I just started wearing the glue-able forms and I Love them. I had PALS before and they were not attachable, eventhough they gave me a wonderful feelings while wearing them in my bra. The first time I used Hollisters it was wonderful. I could do most everything for 2 days with no bra. The only problem I had was that when I sprayed the forms a bit of it was still wet, HINT:Follow the directions on the can !!! I came away with 2 dime-sized spots that resembled chemical burns. WAIT FOR THE GLUE TO DRY A BIT BEFORE ATTACHING THEM !!! Other than that 1 mishap, I love the way they move, and feel. I'm looking forward to putting them on tonight so my SO and myself can play abit of dress-up. Hugs, Amber

3m 77

Great idea for a post Tami. Good start on the advice and I'm looking forward to seeing the advice develop.

I searched high and low for 3M super 77 in the UK and concluded that here it's branded as 3M Scotch Weld 77 Multi Purpose Adhesive and comes in a 500ml can which I reckon equates to 16.75 ounces. Goo Gone can be bought here though not everywhere. I finally got some of both.

I'm working towards glueing my forms on. So far, I've tested it by sticking some plastic to my chest and sure enough, no skin reaction and the Goo Gone cleans it up - so far so good.

I'd be interested in hearing more about the best way to use 3M. The instructions say - for normal hold, spray 1 surface and for strong hold, spray both. I'm not sure I've got the timing right though as it seems to stay wet for longer than Hollisters and then doesn't stick so well as I've probably not waited long enough.

Any advice on using 3M particularly (or any glue) would be gratefully received. Hopefully I can add my tuppence soon.

Marina

Unhappy Chemical burns

What can I do about the chemical burns? It has been over 6 months for me and I stil have some round long red chemical burns. There ugly red marks. What can i do please help!

Quote Originally Posted by amber 07 View Post
    Hi Tamara

I just started wearing the glue-able forms and I Love them. I had PALS before and they were not attachable, eventhough they gave me a wonderful feelings while wearing them in my bra. The first time I used Hollisters it was wonderful. I could do most everything for 2 days with no bra. The only problem I had was that when I sprayed the forms a bit of it was still wet, HINT:Follow the directions on the can !!! I came away with 2 dime-sized spots that resembled chemical burns. WAIT FOR THE GLUE TO DRY A BIT BEFORE ATTACHING THEM !!! Other than that 1 mishap, I love the way they move, and feel. I'm looking forward to putting them on tonight so my SO and myself can play abit of dress-up. Hugs, Amber

It appears that some of us are more reactive to the chemicals in the adhesives than others. That was one reason I started this thread, to find out what others had done and hopefully dispell rumors of one thing working and another not working.

One of the concerns I keep hearing is the degradation of the plastic covering on silicone forms. My original triangle forms have been in almost daily use for two years and fairly heavy use for two years before that and have not shown any signs to date of deterioration or the plastic degrading. It could just be that the pair I have are covered with a different type of plastic than others.

I want to thank all of you for including your experimentation with adhesives and the impact. As far as chemical burns, I have never experienced actual chemical burns but have had massive chest skin damage due to impatience on my part, trying to remove the forms too fast. (and I was not using any chemicals to remove the glue residue) Many of the skin tears were visible for over two years until they finally grew out.

I now use Goo Gone in its thin yellow form religiously and have not a mark on my chest. I do use about a quart of Goo Gone per 3 months and about 2-3 cans of Hollisters. Now that I am trying the 3M product the Hollisters has been shelved for awhile.

As another addition to the alterntives, I have used toupee adhesive "Topsol" no-Tape Silicone bonding agent from Vapon of West Caldwell, NJ with limited success. While it may hold a light weight toupee in place it does not appear to be designed to hold a weighted object against a vertical surface. It held initially for about 20 minutes and then started a slide south. I had to remove them and use traditional adhesive to continue.

Keep those cards and letters coming folks, the more information we have the better decisions we can make.

Your sis,

Tami
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am a licensed Cosmetologist (hair stylist, not cosmonaut), work as a hair and wig stylist, makeup artist and permanent makeup artist, dressed as you see in my avatar and albums.

I have over 2,500 pictures on my Flicker site located at http://www.flickr.com/photos/9315394@N02/

I have a pair of Breastform Store triangular forms, the Gold quality ones. The backs are made from a tough but flexible plastic material which takes spray glue such as Hollisters, and the excellent double-sided adhesive patches that BFS also sells. I've had no trouble with peeling the old patches off, although I experimented with using a couple of chicken fillets and the patches at one point. When it came to peel them off, I tore the back of one of the fillets in 2 places, rendering them useless. BFS also sells adhesive refresher wipes. Although not nearly as strong as the patches, they provide enough tackiness to keep your boobs in place under a strapless, fitted dress for example. If I use Hollisters - and I think its very expensive - more than £20.00 here in the UK - I use WD40 to clean the backs of my forms. As long as you wash the forms thoroughly (I use washing-up liquid), they are as good as new after each clean.
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]"You can have my stilletoes when you can prise them from my cold, dead feet"

Banned Read only
    Gosh girls..I'd be very, very careful about using any adhesive that's not made specifically for medical use.

Even if you do not have an allergic or burn reaction the first time that doesn't mean it won't happen, eventually.

We can easily develop allergies from repeated use of materials that are not intended to be so close to our skin. I know many med folks, nurses and emt's who have developed allergies to latex, from having worn them for such a long time...and latex is a natural product!

Also, even trace amounts of industrial solvents will be absorbed throught the skin, especially the thin skin of the chest and sensitive skin of the nipples, and possibly affect us badly in years ahead due to a toxic buildup...

Importantly for some, industrial chemicals are also very likely to damage reproductive organs and sperm health...

Be careful, my dear ones. It'll be hard explaining to your lawyer how you got that toxic chemical related disease in later years when you get around to suing 3M.
    Last edited by deja true; 05-12-2008 at 01:53 PM. Reason: spelling...

Thank you Tamara. You always offer such wonderful ideas for all of us to use and employ.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Nice thread Tamara.

I hope they don't move it! This is great info for everybody.

I can only add the following, because I wear forms for about 2+/- hours at a time:

I don't do glue ons unless I'm wearing bikinis, etc. Have only used Hollisters and still have my first can! I only spray it on the forms. Perspiration has loosened them on several occasions.

I use paint thinner to remove Hollisters from me and the forms. However, I always jump in the shower rite afterwards, and put the silicone forms thru the dishwasher, to get rid of the smell. WARNING: this requires a lot of hard rubbing of your skin. Which could be a problem for u! I recommend Goo Off, or a similar product, as Tamara says, it works much better.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

hey babe, good post!
    A couple of years ago I got a lot of flack for telling people that I used 3M Super 77 spray. There was also negative reaction regarding the use of turpentine (a completely organic solvent, but with an obnoxious odour) and with low odour Varsol.
    Either way, you can apply your forms several times, but eventually they will need to be cleaned. I bought a little porcelain cooking tray that just accomodates the larger forms. I put some solvent into the tray, the place the form in, pushing it down in the center to force out the air and let the solvent into the centre of the form. I use Varsol, but I imagine that Goo Gone would work just as well!
    I take the forms out of the solvent after 15 or 20 minutes, and scrape the residual adhesive off with a butter knife. I usually repeat this process a couple of times before I thoroughly wash the forms under the tap with dish soap and warm water and then let them dry. I spray them with Femme spray before I put them back in their boxes. Love my forms! w.

And I took a different route. I've been using Nu-Hope Medical Adhesive, and I'm very happy with it. It comes in a container with a dauber and you simply brush a thin film around the perimeter of your breast forms. Seems to hold well, and I don't have to worry about overspray. The price is very reasonable, way less than Hollister and it seems to last a long, long, time.

The Nu-Hope is often used for attaching Ostomy devices and is intended for use next to the skin. That's my only problem with Super 77. It's not specifically for use on human skin and it may contain certain chemicals and solvents that might cause allergic reactions, or worse. A lot of people have recommended it, but I would be very careful.

Nu-Hope makes their own adhesive remover and I use it for removing The Forms. But your right, I can't find anything better that Goo-B-Gone for cleaning up the residue on The Forms.

I'm familiar with Nu-Hope and I like their prices, but I would imagine any Ostomy Adhesive would also work. You all might want to try it as an alternative. Just about anything would be cheaper than Hollister's!

Peace and Love, Joanie

well i had experimented with the double sided tape for the forms. well i tore one this morning! i want to cry about it. the tape is supposed to come off but one came off the other form ripped and the tape made little marks on my chest.

Wink 3m Super 77

Great post Tami. I would have never thought of this application for Super 77. I have used it in industry for years and it's great stuff. It's non toxic, in my experience anyway I get it all over my hands, and it holds forever.One suggestion I would make would be to spray very lightly on both serfices and let dry for a few miniutes until tacky. Also it's a good idea to lay on your back until firm because the weight of the forms will cause them to slide down otherwise. It cleans up easily ( Dawn dish detergent is good) and if it doesn't harm the forms as you say I would say try it. Good job Tami what a combination beauty and brains !!
    LOVE KIM
    May everyone you love-love you
    Kimberly Ann
    www.flickr.com/photos/kimmie487

Thanks Tami!!

I have been searching for years on the right adhesive to apply my forms with and after reading your post yesterday went right out searching for the 3m 77 and oh my god this stuff is wonderful!! I envey you being able to dress for work everyday and doing the many things you do I always love to stop and read all your posts you are my true inspiration. By the way you can get all of the aboved metioned stuff right at home depot in the paint section, just ask that's all I did. This day is truly the highlight of my crossdressing years will let you know how my progress goes but once again thank you for such a wonderful post!!

Love Always,
    Wendi

Where in the UK?

KayR
    I had to search a bit and I couldn't find either Goo Gone or 3M77 in any "normal" type store. I had to buy online.

I got the 3M glue from East Coast Fiberglass Supplies http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.u...-c-49_253.html

Then I got the Goo Gone from Axminster http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-M...one-376969.htm

Bit annoying to pay the same for postage as for the products in both cases but hopefully I won't use too much of the stuff

Marina

Thanks Marina! I appreciate the effort you took.
    Kay
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]"You can have my stilletoes when you can prise them from my cold, dead feet"

Thanks so much for the info. I have been looking foor this everywhere. Your a godsend
    Amanda

Thank you, Tami. This is great advice. I have used adhesive with my forms, but when I get around to trying it, I will have some excellent information to help me.
    warmly, Linnea

Help! I can't get my breast forms off and the wife will be home in an hour!

Just Kidding.
    Actually this kind of worry is why I never dared try to glue on my forms before. How would I explain my breasts to the wife or to the people at the emergency room? After reading the great thread Tami started and all the excellent advice I gave it a shot. I used 3M77 and Goof Off.
    After a pretrial, I sprayed some cheaper forms I'd gotten at Ebay and voilla. It works. The only glitch was the glue remover stung a bit. Next time I think I'll let the glue off gas for 10 minutes before I apply the foms to my chest.
    It really felt good to have the forms glued on. It was like they were a natural part of me. I'll do it all the time now. It doesn't take as much time to do as you would think either.
    A couple of suggestions. Wiping down your skin with rubbing alcohol first would probably promote better adhesion, and an old tooth brush (used gently) does a good job of cleaning the remover and glue off your forms.
    A question. How do you keep the glue spray nozzle from clogging up between uses?

To keep the spray tip clean, after you use the glue turn the can upside down and spray it until only air exits the nozzle. Same deal as spray paint.
    -
    After trying the high tack 76, I have to say I don't recommend it because the glue dries too quickly before the tackyness is gone. The only method that works for me is to spray the form and immediately with the ht 76 press it to my chest and then remove. Wait for the glue to dry and then replace the forms. This method works similar to contact cement. Doing this, gases escape first but there is some glue that is contacting your body while the solvents are still active, but do the forms ever stick well! They are stuck and you can't remove them without using a solvent. Paint thinner like varsol works well to remove them (use a paper towel soaked in solvents and rub underneath from side to side until they come loose). Btw, this is using the breastform store supersoft forms with re-enforced back.

...obvious issue for a quickchange though. I prefer the Elmer's glue which gives me stick and peel without using solvents to take them off.

I originally used an inexpensive set of forms with the Hollister's spray adhesive. I unfortunately got lax with the removal of the residue from the forms and it had a negative effect on them prompting me to purchase new ones.
    Biting the proverbial bullet I broke down and parted with a few Ben Franklins and bought the Amoena Contact 351 forms from the Breastform Store.

Best money I have spent!!

Granted I don't go braless (at 42C I don't think that's practical anyway for me), but the ease of use and cleaning, plus the feel far out weighs that loss for me.
    They come with a cleaning kit which includes a soft brush and mild cleanser. Warm water and a few scrubs and voila, let them air dry and they are good as new.
    Just clean my skin with an alcohol wipe, position and press in place. Slip on my favorite bra and off I go. No waiting, no muss, no fuss.
    Removal is a gentle peel. I was amazed at just how stuck they became with a long day's wear and a little body heat. They warm to body temperature quickly, are incredibly soft and have wonderful movement. They feel like me and are as close to real as I can get without implants or hormones (wish, wish...).

The original forms would begin to feel uncomfortable after about 8 hours, but these I've worn for over 16, and actually hated to have to remove them for bed (it's not good to sleep with them on...they might rupture).

Just my $10....considering gas prices and all these days...
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

[SIZE=4]Two things: [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]First, ingredients in the 3M 77 glue, label indicates that all dry ingredients "are listed as indirect food contact additives when used in food packaging with minimal opportunity for exposure". Not sure of the whole definition but when I talked to a neighbor who is a chemist that works on food stuffs, additives. He stated that the contents shouldn't hurt you if you let the high ends of the aerosol evaporate first, usually about 3 minutes. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]Secondly: while looking at 3M 77 in the store a woman was holding a can of i Intertape AC50 and saw me reading the label on the 77. She said that it was a good substitue for the 3m 77 and cheaper too. I bought a can and took it home to experiment. DON'T USE IT FOR BREAST FORMS. It is entirely different and has a high VOC content. I ordered the MSDS and found that it is not good on human skin at all, too many ingredients that aren't good fo us, or any living thing.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]i Intertape AC50 is readily available at low lot prices on eBay but it is not for use with breast forms. Scratch this one off your list if it was on their.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]I notice a lot of reservations on many people's part about using adhesive to adhere breast forms. I started using the hollister when advised by the manufacturer of the forms. I ventured out and read what I could find on other adhesives when I couldn't get Hollisters quickly, I failed to order in time. For a completely feminine feeling, attaching the breast forms is second to none. It is the most realistic thing next to your own real breasts. That is the reason I use adhesive and will continue to do so.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]Plus, you can't wear a skimpy halter top wearing a bra, every nuance shows so you have to very careful with the placement of the forms to make sure you can cover all of the forms. Picture attached ([SIZE=2]snuck another one in didn't I?)[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]Your sis,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]Tami[/SIZE]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just started a new thread about adhesive forms

Ladies,

I just started a new thread about my experiences using TrueKare self-adhesive forms. It's at:

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...ad.php?t=84915

Hugs,
    Susie

Tami...I love the thread and advice!

I use Amonea forms and my most recent ones have a velcro back so I use either a cloth cover or I buy the Amonea Active Supports which are nothing more than a Velcro piece shaped like the form with really sticky tape on the back.

Basically, you use their special wipes that come with the supports - it's like an alcohol wipe with glue in it and very strong. Wiped own your skin, peel off the label on the form and stick it in place. They the form just Velcro's on.

I've worn these all day without issue and no bra is required. However:

- The supports are meant to be worn long term so when you remove them your skin will be red for a while although it's not painful at all.
    - The supports come in different styles, thin active, thicker and so on but they're pricey at about $28 for 5 supports
    - They hold even large heavy forms like mine perfectly well but they don't keep the forms so tight to the skin that the seem isn't noticeable like I imagine glued-on forms could be.

While we're on the subject...I noticed at SCC last year that everyone was wearing large nipples with their forms. I love this look but after a while, even I was worn out of seeing so many (1000s) of huge protruding nips - I never thought I'd say that.:-)
    When my wife came down one night for dinner, she mentioned that too many girls went overboard with their nipples and it was obvious. On retrospect, I agree and now I wear no fake nipples or very inconspicuous ones.

Girl underconstruction Paulette's Avatar
    Tami, I just tried the 3M super 77 and the goo gone method taking your advice about letting the glue air off the solvents before attaching them. I let them sit for about 30 minutes after spraying them and then attached them and wore a bra for about 30 minutes to make sure that they adheared properly. Took the bra off and was able to go bra less with confidence for the first time. I have been using Hollister after a while but they would slip (hell they fell off) once I took off my bra. No fun to wear your nightie with a bra or with out forms to lounge around the house. I am going to a pool party Saturday night and I really need to be able to go bra less and still have my forms on so my swim suit will look good.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with all of us on this forum. Every bit of advice I have recieved from you has work just like yu said it would. Using your instructions I fitted a wig for my size 7 5/8 inch hat size.

Sis your the best

Big Northern Calif. hugs
    Last edited by Paulette; 07-25-2008 at 02:09 AM.