Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Still Living in the Dark Ages

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKat View Post
    I'm expecting it to catch up with us at any time, and then we can go to the Supreme Court, you think?!

We'll see you there!!
    You said it . . . I'll bring the rum.

Quote Originally Posted by TxKimberly
    I'm pretty sure that's part of the definition of "Government" - any and all governments. IE - head well and truly up it's ass.
    Haha, well said.

Quote Originally Posted by C.J.
    Man, sorry to hear about this situation Lex. This government worker needs a serious slap.

- C.J.
    Thanks, C.J., she sure does.

Quote Originally Posted by tess-leigh
    I in no way mean to imply that anyone should "have to" have such surgery to be considered to have changed their gender; but the Captain seems to be implying that many physically cannot get it done if if they wanted to, and I am presently unaware of the reasons for that?
    You're right, Tess-Leigh, I did mean that phalloplasty is not just any surgery and that's why it's not an option for many of us. Thanks for asking, I sometimes forget that not everyone is aware of this stuff, and your question gives us the opportunity to educate people. Feel free to ask anything else you'd like to know.

As Zen and Cai stated, it's very expensive because it's really a series of complicated procedures, and it usually doesn't look or work like it's supposed to. So it's not a viable option - at least not for me or the majority of transguys.
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptLex View Post
    I know there are some organizations working hard to overturn this, but who knows when or if progress will be made. I don't want to wait 20 years for things to change, but it looks like I have no choice.

So Captain, who, what org, is working on overturning this blatantly unconstitutional policy? It denies "freedom of expression"to a portion of our population. It is obviously sexist, though probably not in the way that equal rights legislation proponents intended.

I sure hope it's not those so called allies of ours that left us all hanging when it came to keeping T-folks included in ENDA.

How can we help? Donations? Case studies? How?

Also, can your "honorary" Canadian citizenship be used to eventually get where you need to be? Researched Canadian policy on this issue? Mind being a real Canadian? Our neighbors to the North have a great history of taking our "huddled masses yearning to breathe free."

Good Luck to you Captain. You're gonna need it if you're gonna have to fight this bigoted policy of the "Land of the Free". Ha!

respect & love (for those who strive)

deja

Quote Originally Posted by deja true View Post
    So Captain, who, what org, is working on overturning this blatantly unconstitutional policy? It denies "freedom of expression"to a portion of our population. It is obviously sexist, though probably not in the way that equal rights legislation proponents intended.
    I know the National Center for Transgender Equality is working on it (http://www.nctequality.org/), and they have other allies. A representative came to our LGBT Center and spoke of it. But she said it's getting harder to get the changes we need because of tighter security issues post 9/11. So it's not gonna be an easy fight. What can we do? I suppose we can make our collective voices heard at places like the NCTE, for starters.

Also, can your "honorary" Canadian citizenship be used to eventually get where you need to be? Researched Canadian policy on this issue? Mind being a real Canadian? Our neighbors to the North have a great history of taking our "huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    Don't think I haven't thought about it, Deja. The "honorary" status is in jest (unfortunately), but I'm not kidding when I say I would consider going elsewhere. I've always liked our friendly neighbors to the north.

Good Luck to you Captain. You're gonna need it if you're gonna have to fight this bigoted policy of the "Land of the Free". Ha!

respect & love (for those who strive)

deja
    Thanks, hon.
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

I just wonder why it's necessary to put gender on our passports. I mean if we read male, isn't having our passport say female a flag anyway? Feel the same for a driver's license, it just seems like unnecessary info.

And why is it necessary on so many forms, like when I enter a sweepstake or something, like they can guess what I'm thinking by checking that box!! It really ticks me off that I'm entering to win a GMC Yukon and I have to check male or female, why?
    It gets my blood rolling everytime!!
    [SIZE=3] KRAZYKAT [/SIZE]

Cuddling with my spouse of 18 yrs., GypsyKaren makes me Happy!!

something's fishy

[SIZE="4"]That's really weird, Lex. Wonder if she knows what she's doing? Do the right thing. Happy Tranniversary!

Gennee

P.S. I need a shot of rum.
    [/SIZE]
    I'm getting better with age. I may have started late, but better late than never!

"Don't let anyone define who you are".

Quote Originally Posted by gennee View Post
    [SIZE="4"]That's really weird, Lex. Wonder if she knows what she's doing? Do the right thing. Happy Tranniversary!

Gennee

P.S. I need a shot of rum.
    [/SIZE]
    Here you go, Gennee . . . thanks for your good wishes.

Sorry to hear you're still fighting the moronic system Lex.

Not sure if we're all that much better up here. The current government kinda thinks highly of the dark ages themselves, but you're more than welcome to come on up and add to the sanity.

Sounds like you definitely need to find advocates and allies and band together and start eroding that wall of insanity that exists.

It strikes me as being patriarchal and sexist too, in not recognizing the differences in SRS procedures, and their availabilty and cost and success rate, between MTF and FTM.

I still think you just need more pirates and rum and reckless abandon. The presidency is wide open. Who says you need to be on the ballot to take over?

hahaha... I just got put on a watchlist...
    "I dwell in possibility."

"Say what you want and be who you are, because those who matter don't mind, and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
    George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by kerrianna View Post
    Not sure if we're all that much better up here. The current government kinda thinks highly of the dark ages themselves, but you're more than welcome to come on up and add to the sanity.
    I'm gonna have to learn all new spellings, though, right? And give up my Amstels for Molson?

Well, as long as you still have rum north of the border.

Girl in disguise Emily Ann Brown's Avatar
    Keep in mind that I'm blond here, but is it possible that they are afraid to change the law for transmen fearing us girls will then be able to be "women" without a surgery that is more successful?????

Emily Ann
    Living with a heel in each world.

Quote Originally Posted by Emily Ann Brown View Post
    Keep in mind that I'm blond here, but is it possible that they are afraid to change the law for transmen fearing us girls will then be able to be "women" without a surgery that is more successful?????

Emily Ann

I'm not sure what you mean, Emily, but I don't give the gov't that much credit. I don't think they're thinking at all . . . I believe they're just not bothering to learn the facts and couldn't care less how this affects us.

Well, as long as you still have rum north of the border.
    We have Screech! Rum fit for a pirate. You like it to taste a bit like tar right?

"I dwell in possibility."

"Say what you want and be who you are, because those who matter don't mind, and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
    George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by tess-leigh View Post
    For my education, could someone briefly summarize the physical limitations on phalloplasty that make it "not possible" ? I know that in general any kind of major surgery is counter-indicated for various health reasons (e.g., you'd avoid it for hemophiliacs, or for people likely to react badly to anesthesia), but it sounds to me as if you might be implying something else, such as "not enough tissue for success" ?
    What everyone else said on this subject, and then I'll add that there IS another surgery, that some states accept, that some transmen are lucky enough to be able to use, that DOES give a completely satisfactory, realistic-looking, functioning result: metoidoplasty. However, my state (Illinois) does not consider it to be 'a sex-change operation,' and neither do the feds.

[SIZE="1"][Icky medical details: if you're lucky enough that testosterone hypertrophies your clitoris to 2-3 inches long, you can have a (much more minor than phalloplasty) operation to cut loose a few ligaments on the inside and rotate out the 'hidden' erectile tissue at its root, to give the whole thing a more phallus-like appearance. However, even this is often more expensive than MtF GRS surgeries -- if an order of magnitude cheaper than phalloplasty, and much more useful in its outcome.][/SIZE]

I must fit into some strange loop-hole, could be from being adopted at birth? The state here will allow me to change my name and gender just by petitioning the Family Court, appearing before a judge to explain why I want a name change. No "red" stamped papers needed

Maybe Family Court instead of any other entity?????

We are working on getting Blue Cross to change this on our policy so they will cover Karen's mammograms, etc. They keep telling us they are checking with the state legal dept, which means they are trying to figure out how to screw us out of coverage, I'm thinking.
    I keep tellin' ya Kat...we all need to take another vacation!!!

This one slipped through the cracks, I'm expecting it to catch up with us at any time, and then we can go to the Supreme Court, you think?!
    LCF comes to mind. If anyone has fought to get laws changed regarding sex and gender in front of the supreme court - he and his attorney know every tile on the floor by heart.
    hmmmmmm..........
    The Dream Factory screwed up again. ~kerrianna~

The couple rented the room, and the fish do not like me anymore.
    The fishes name was george and he still liked me because I always give him cherios in the mornings.
    By the way the fish are no longer mad and me and the couple had a great wedding.
    ~brendaisagirl~

I find this most disconcerting Lex I hope you can find a way round it I really do xx Felix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Me, Myself and Felix!!

Gold Member
    Don't think that didn't cross my mind too. How does one find a lawyer willing to take on the U.S. government? Where's Denny Crane when you need him?
    Might try Alan Shore, Denny has mad cow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tina Dixon View Post
    Might try Alan Shore, Denny has mad cow.
    Haha, you're right! Nice to see you around, Tina.

I tried to sneak an "F" into my name change request and was firmly shot down. Who knew there were actual people who processed the SSN paperwork?

Ahh well, at least the moniker is mine.
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    Marilyn Monroe