Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still Living in the Dark Ages

Unhappy Still Living in the Dark Ages

Now that I've calmed down a bit, I can talk about it.

Last week I went to a local Social Security office and talked about changing my name and gender on their records, just as I did on my driver's license. I presented all the evidence in my arsenal: my license, letters from work, therapist, doctor, etc. and tried to calmly explain what the situation is.

I was told in no uncertain terms that no changes can be made until I have "the operation". I explained that there is no such thing, and that the particular surgery they're requesting is not possible, but the woman told me that's their policy and there's nothing they can do. So it's the same problem as with the passport office.

The disturbing thing is that she also suggested I commit fraud - this from a government worker. She said I should get a letter from a surgeon confirming that I have had such surgery ("no one is going to examine you to prove it")! I told her that's fraud, both me and the doc can end up in jail and I'm not going to add legal problems on top of everything else.

So now I've been half-seriously considering moving to another country where the government doesn't have its head up its ass. Why should I be loyal to a country that doesn't want me?
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lex, that sucks.

I wish there was some way to sue them. Policy won't change unless it's forced.
    Remember always that you have not only the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one. - Eleanor Roosevelt

The most universal quality is diversity. - Michel de Montaigne

You do not truly own anything you cannot carry at a dead run!

‘Them as can do, has to do for them as can’t. And someone has to speak up for
    them as has no voices.’ - Terry Pratchett, The Wee Free Men

Quote Originally Posted by Cai View Post
    Lex, that sucks.

I wish there was some way to sue them. Policy won't change unless it's forced.
    Don't think that didn't cross my mind too. How does one find a lawyer willing to take on the U.S. government? Where's Denny Crane when you need him?
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Platinum Member
    god your system seriously needs to change its rules! ive said this before, there are thousands of NON op girls and boys in your country alone i bet, that for whatever reason cant or wont ever have surgery.....you are legally male in one sense but not in another thats just effing stupid

Quote Originally Posted by CaptLex View Post
    Don't think that didn't cross my mind too. How does one find a lawyer willing to take on the U.S. government? Where's Denny Crane when you need him?
    Considering where you work, I figured you would have thought of that already if it were possible.
    Remember always that you have not only the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Banned Read only
    Lex, have you taken that low level civil servant's word as the final say-so?

I'm thinking that a trans-phobic paper pusher just might be trying to give you a run around because 'it' just doesn't want to deal with you!

Ask for their supervisor...and if still no joy, consult an immigration lawyer.

It seems to me that in the big apple you should be able to find someone to help you with this kind of quasi-bureaucratic crapola!

You're right about the fraud. Putting fraudelent statements on a Federal form is worth a prison sentence, not just a slap on the wrist. Whoever gave you that suggestion, needs reporting! They're not doing their job and encouraging a felony...

Quote Originally Posted by Cai View Post
    Considering where you work, I figured you would have thought of that already if it were possible.
    Nah, I think they'd be afraid the publicity could cause them to lose big clients.

I did ask one of them, "How does one go about taking the government to court?" He said, "Well . . . it's been done." Big help that was.

Quote Originally Posted by deja true View Post
    Lex, have you taken that low level civil servant's word as the final say-so?

I'm thinking that a trans-phobic paper pusher just might be trying to give you a run around because 'it' just doesn't want to deal with you!
    Well she didn't just give me a routine answer. She asked me to wait while she made some phone calls and spoke to someone higher up. Then she came back with an "official-looking" paper that said that. It's exactly what the passport office told me, so it sounds like it's the official U.S. policy.

I know there are some organizations working hard to overturn this, but who knows when or if progress will be made. I don't want to wait 20 years for things to change, but it looks like I have no choice.

What surgery do they consider "the surgery"? The top one? And ugh yeah this is all a bunch of bs.... stupid gov't.......

Ah ya got to love a country that judges you by your genitals but arrests you if they see them in public ! I wonder if a FTM having Top surgery (I think that's a PC term) is "The Operation" to the government or are these rules made up on the spot ? You maybe entering uncharted waters Capt' . When someone invents the device they used in the old Star Trek show to swap Kirks and the evil women's bodies, that's really going to foul things up for the bureaucrats . I personally want trade with Daisy Fuentes.

I find it quite humorous Lex that the very ones who should be following the law to the letter are often the first ones to suggest breaking it. Typical.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Quote Originally Posted by Salandra View Post
    I find it quite humorous Lex that the very ones who should be following the law to the letter are often the first ones to suggest breaking it. Typical.
    I thought the same thing - crazy, huh?

Sorry I wasn't clear before: "the surgery" is phalloplasty, in the case of FtMs (vaginoplasty in the case of MtFs). It doesn't matter to them that it's not possible for most of us guys. The other procedures (top surgery, etc.), I was told, are not enough.

I thought the same thing - crazy, huh?

Sorry I wasn't clear before: "the surgery" is phalloplasty, in the case of FtMs (vaginoplasty in the case of MtFs). It doesn't matter to them that it's not possible for most of us guys. The other procedures (top surgery, etc.), I was told, are not enough.
    Wow, really? That does suck. Which is a bit weird, because I can get a court order to change my gender on my birth certificate I think without the bottom surgery. I wonder how they can deny it then... dunno... what a strange deal...

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    Wow, really? That does suck. Which is a bit weird, because I can get a court order to change my gender on my birth certificate I think without the bottom surgery. I wonder how they can deny it then... dunno... what a strange deal...
    But things like birth certificates and driver's licences are decided state-to-state (or sometimes by counties) - they don't have to adhere to the federal policy.

On another note, Tristan just reminded me . . . today is my tranniversary. I started taking T two years ago today . . . drinks on the house (or the ship).

Cheers on your 2nd T-versary!!

Wow, how time flies, well, for me anyway!!

Can't believe the fed worker suggesting that, wow, could lose their job, must've really liked you!!

Hugs, so sorry, how do we change the rules? Sign me up, I'll help!!
    [SIZE=3] KRAZYKAT [/SIZE]

Cuddling with my spouse of 18 yrs., GypsyKaren makes me Happy!!

But things like birth certificates and driver's licences are decided state-to-state (or sometimes by counties) - they don't have to adhere to the federal policy.

On another note, Tristan just reminded me . . . today is my tranniversary. I started taking T two years ago today . . . drinks on the house (or the ship).
    Well NJ requires SRS to get a gender change -- not sure how they define srs though for that. But still weird that I could get a birth certificate that says I'm male.... so you'd think if I waited till I had that and applied for one how could they not go by it... my birth certificate would say male lmao but yeah gov't's messed up. It all comes down to a fear I think. That they need to know whats under our pants even if it's none of their business.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKat View Post
    Cheers on your 2nd T-versary!!

Wow, how time flies, well, for me anyway!!
    Yes, time flies when you're having rum.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKat
    Can't believe the fed worker suggesting that, wow, could lose their job, must've really liked you!!

Hugs, so sorry, how do we change the rules? Sign me up, I'll help!!
    I know you can kick ass, so I'd always want you in the fight.

Well, Tristan, some places (like NYC) still won't allow birth certificate changes, and it's my opinion that it's because this will lead to legalizing gay marriages (or at least civil unions) here.

It's really confusing (and frustrating) that things are not universal in our country, so lots of things depend on where you live. At least NY state sees me as a boy.

Happy tranniversary!

But what they heck do they mean "the operation," there's about a dozen very expensive ones and the results are not all that great... I think the U.S. policy on that seriously needs to get amended on that.
    Story of my life –>

Quote Originally Posted by ZenFrost View Post
    Happy tranniversary!
    Thanks, dude!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenFrost
    But what they heck do they mean "the operation," there's about a dozen very expensive ones and the results are not all that great... I think the U.S. policy on that seriously needs to get amended on that.
    I tried telling them that, but it fell on deaf ears.

Aww, yes, state to state. Karen can't get her birth cert changed as it's from Illinois. We've heard and seen how the current Illinois Congress laughs at gender issues in session, and they are probably secretly wearing some lace underneath!!

In the sate we live in, Indiana, we are still legally married, all though that could change anyday. We are working on getting Blue Cross to change this on our policy so they will cover Karen's mammograms, etc. They keep telling us they are checking with the state legal dept, which means they are trying to figure out how to screw us out of coverage, I'm thinking. Or trying to figure out how to make us not legally married(2 legal females married), which always makes me snicker anyway, because this is such a arse backwards bible thumping state, we still can't buy alcohol on Sundays!!This one slipped through the cracks, I'm expecting it to catch up with us at any time, and then we can go to the Supreme Court, you think?!

We'll see you there!!
    [SIZE=3] KRAZYKAT [/SIZE]

Cuddling with my spouse of 18 yrs., GypsyKaren makes me Happy!!

Moving wont solve that particular problem . . .

. . . So now I've been half-seriously considering moving to another country where the government doesn't have its head up its ass. . . .
    . . . because I'm pretty sure that's part of the definition of "Government" - any and all governments. IE - head well and truly up it's ass.

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Sorry I wasn't clear before: "the surgery" is phalloplasty, in the case of FtMs (vaginoplasty in the case of MtFs). It doesn't matter to them that it's not possible for most of us guys.
    For my education, could someone briefly summarize the physical limitations on phalloplasty that make it "not possible" ? I know that in general any kind of major surgery is counter-indicated for various health reasons (e.g., you'd avoid it for hemophiliacs, or for people likely to react badly to anesthesia), but it sounds to me as if you might be implying something else, such as "not enough tissue for success" ?

I in no way mean to imply that anyone should "have to" have such surgery to be considered to have changed their gender; but the Captain seems to be implying that many physically cannot get it done if if they wanted to, and I am presently unaware of the reasons for that?

Quote Originally Posted by tess-leigh View Post
    For my education, could someone briefly summarize the physical limitations on phalloplasty that make it "not possible" ? I know that in general any kind of major surgery is counter-indicated for various health reasons (e.g., you'd avoid it for hemophiliacs, or for people likely to react badly to anesthesia), but it sounds to me as if you might be implying something else, such as "not enough tissue for success" ?

I in no way mean to imply that anyone should "have to" have such surgery to be considered to have changed their gender; but the Captain seems to be implying that many physically cannot get it done if if they wanted to, and I am presently unaware of the reasons for that?
    1. There are many operations involved.

2. They cost more than many can afford.

3. 'Success' is relative, the results don't work properly so many avoid it altogether because often a prosthetic is better for many guys.

4. Also, for some it is physiologically not possible to have a successful phalloplasty, such as for reasons you mentioned.

The cost is the big one, $150k is a bit more than most call affordable, especially since insurance does not cover it 99% of the time.
    Story of my life –>

Quote Originally Posted by tess-leigh View Post

Simple version: Because it's very, very expensive, and the results are not (usually) functional or all that aesthetically pleasing. Plus there's extensive scarring on the abdomen and forearm (where the tissue is taken from), and the results take multiple revisions to get correct.

Man, sorry to hear about this situation Lex. This government worker needs a serious slap.

- C.J.