Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i have a question,

i have a question,

probably one that can be answered easily.

what is the difference between a cross dresser and a transvestite.
    i need to know how to label myself
    thanks in advance
    Nat
    xox

Gold Member
    Honey please! Labels, BAH!

You don't *have* to label yourself anything except "you". Someone asks, just say "I am just me"

BUT, if you insist, use the label "crossdresser". It really is the best one for those who dress in women clothes but have no desire to live as a woman.

Transvestite just sounds, I don't know, tacky.

Other gender labels that are tacky and one should avoid -
    Shim, she-male, boy-girl, lady-boy.

so would crossdresser still be used if i had a desire to be a women??

Gold Member
    So want to BE a woman?

That "label" would be transsexual.

i thought transsexuals are in the transition phase sort of half way there, , I'm seriously thinking about seeing someone but it all feels a bit to much, i wouldn't know where to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Natasha2 View Post
    so would crossdresser still be used if i had a desire to be a women??
    I think so. At least inasmuch you have not yet transitioned.

Kisses

Nadia

Quote Originally Posted by MlleErin View Post
    Honey please! Labels, BAH!

You don't *have* to label yourself anything except "you".
    Natasha, I believe you have every right to know the definition, or label, that best applies to you, about crossdressing.

The fact that many people here don't like labels (and they have every right to do so) doesn't imply your question is a stupid one. Your question deserves to be properly answered, IMO.

I believe it is important to have precise and accurate definitions in any knowledgeable field.

Whenever people don't agree with each other about the definitions of the words they are using, they can't understand each other well, I mean.

I strongly feel that everybody visiting this crossdressers forum has every right to know, and/or improve through collaborative work, the accurate definition of the word "crossdresser".

Kisses

Crossdressing Nadia
    Last edited by Nadia-Maria; 05-26-2008 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Merging 2 successive answers

As you can see, even we can't agree and it appears to be open for interpretation.
    As for "Do you still call yourself a cross dresser" if you want to be a woman, that's a good question.
    Some say that being a Transsexual is based on your thoughts and feelings, IE - "I want to be a woman"
    Some say that it is based on your actions, IE - you must be taking actual steps to transition.
    As a general rule, I think a lot of us find the word Transvestite undesirable.
    Even here in this group where most of us are trans gender we can not agree on these definitions.

sorry for opening up a can of worms. i think i understand what is being said.i always thought the word transvestite carries with a sleazy connotation.
    another question
    what would be the first step that one would take to becoming a women. Who would you see, what would you do??
    Nat
    xox

is in her vest
    Natasha....labels are really useful on canned foods...apart from that they are just a hinderence......just be "you"...
    Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime. ~Potter Stewart

Crossdressing is what we do. It is the wearing of clothes that were traditionally worn by the other gender. Other labels try to categorize why we cross dress.

This does not really cover the situation of those who believe that their bodies were the wrong gender to start with. They will insist that they are wearing clothes appropriate to their gender.

sweetheart, labels are society's way of classifying people so that they don't have to think on a micro/personal level. it's much easier to stereotype and group everyone. i agree, the word "transvestite" has a slightly prostitutional association attached to it. however, don't be so quick to conform to society's definition of yourself. if someone asks, just explain to them who you are. for example, "i am a man who likes to wear women's clothing." Or, "I wish to be a woman." Or, "wearing panties makes me horny." for whatever reason you do what you like, you should not lump yourself into a group of people that you have not even met. it's like saying you're of irish decent, so you would label yourself as an alcoholic? most likely not. if someone came up to you at a barbeque, and asked where you are from, would you say, "i'm an alcoholic."? no.

as far as the other question, about where to start, i am not in the same situation as you, but you might want to check out the transexual/transgender forum on here. the people that frequent that area will definitely give you some direction. from what i've read on here, though, you are transgender, or at least wish to be. either way, welcome to the forum!

No difference, they are the same.
    Ladies have a GREAT time!
    Smile GOD LOVES you!!!
    GOD BLESS US ALL!!!
    AMY Hepker

ROSES ARE RED
    VIOLETS ARE BLUE
    I'LL BE ME
    AND YOU BE YOU

The following definitions were taken from dictionary.com. The only difference it seems to me is that a transvestite acts & dresses like a woman, while a cross dresser merely dresses like one.

cross-dress /ˈkrɔsˈdrɛs, ˈkrɒs-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kraws-dres, kros-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –verb (used without object) to dress in clothing typically worn by members of the opposite sex.

—Related forms
    cross-dresser, noun

trans·ves·tite /trænsˈvɛstaɪt, trænz-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[trans-ves-tahyt, tranz-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun a person, esp. a male, who assumes the dress and manner usually associated with the opposite sex.

One begins with a c,the other begins with a t.
    Claire en femme,smart,casual and sexy!

Oh boy another label thread!

Sorry, there was one of these almost a month ago. You can see more responses here: What's the difference?

The problem with labels is that they are trying to affix a single point along a continuum of observed behavior.
    Everybody's normal until you get to know them. - Tracy Schapes

An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Blog: Tracy's Happy Place

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    What this thread has hopefully taught you is that peoples definition of these terms is not consistent. You were not even sure of the definitions. How can you expect others to know them? What you really need to do is educate eveyone else what the words mean before you use them - or not use them at all.

Skip the confusing terms. A simple explanation can be more meaningful and more accurate.

Gen

What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Natasha2 View Post
    another question
    what would be the first step that one would take to becoming a women. Who would you see, what would you do??
    Nat
    xox
    I'd look for information at:
    http://www.ifge.org/

and look at their links for resources in your area.

But that is me.

Love,
    Dita Bach

I always include this on my label for easy sorting

question????

You said that you wanted to talk to someone about how you feel and about where to go from here, speak to a gender therapist(a good one ) and then make your decision based on knowledge and information.

Mollyanne
    "To thine own self be true"

Silver Member victoriamwilliams1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Natalia View Post
    I never thought about the bar code.

The best label is Transgendered I think it covers it all.

I prefer just calling myself and others crossdressers. This is even though I would prefer to be dressed like this always. I have my doubts about that happening. At least not anytime soon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned Read only
    We're gonna keep at this 'label' argument until all the holsteins are in the barn! Sheesh!

If you're a UK girl, you might be able to call yourself a transvestite without getting the negative associations. Them UK trannies don't mind that label at all, it seems. They have a lot of fun with it. But to them, it also just means a guy who likes to feel his feminine side without going towards transition.

Here in North America (and environs), 'transvestite' does have negative connotations, probably because all news stories about sickos who hurt and rob and movies about criminals and psychos dressed as women carry the transvestite label.

To the clinical mind, transvestite and crossdresser are the same. To the drooling, bovine public they may be not.

IMHO, all who feel that they are women, no matter their usual presentation or no matter whether they intend to take hormones or go under the knife or not, are transexuals.

You'll probably soon be getting the opinions of several of the many non-op trans women here, who'll agree with that.

On the whole, this bunch here are pretty open and liberal when it comes to all these labels, that's why there are so, so many people here from all different denominations in the church of gender.

Go see a therapist/psychologist with a good background in gender issues. Don't tell him what you think you are, just tell him honestly how you feel. Let him give you a label if you want one. But also keep in mind that many of us will and do revise our labels from day to day depending on our moods, our issues and what color panties we're wearing.

Good luck figuring it out by yourself after all this muck.

Now just get out there and "let you be you"!

deja

(Now...whose turn is it to put up the next panties thread?)

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar

Labeling Yourself!

This has been covered in threads before, but I will try to answer once again!

Transvestite: One who dresses in the clothing of the opposite sex primarily for sexual purposes. Transvestites are frequently referred to as Male prostitutes.

Crossdresser: One who dresses in the clothing of the opposite sex. This may be for any reason, including sex. Thus a crossdresser can also be a transvestite. But most of us on this forum dress simply because we like to! I know that is why I dress and I don't consider myself a transvestite in any sense of the word.

Transgender: Usually a person who thinks their sexual identity is different then their actual biological in dentity. A crossdresser may think of himself as a woman, and therefore could be called a transgendered person. I just like to look feminine, not be one!

Transsexual: A person who wants to become a different sex from the one they were born as! Sometimes going as far as having surgery!

Having been a CD for over 60 years, I have done a lot of research into the labels applied. Putting all the definitions together, the above is what the so-called experts really think!

I am a CROSSDRESSER, plain and simple!! Nothing more, and nothing less!

Sissy/Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!
    Last edited by sissystephanie; 05-26-2008 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Spelling and additions!

Smile question.?

i think you may find that transvestite, was first coined by the medical fraturnaty, as a medical term, i asoom that crossdresser is more of a term used by crossdressers themselfs, i my self prefer trannie for no other reason than it sounds more like me, i am neather transvestite or transsexual, i also take the meaning of transsexual to mean that a man in all fisical atributes; feels inwardly that his whole personer is that of a female, and wishes to amend the fisical being to more resemble that of the female he feels she is.
    stevie 0

Shoes, a woman's passion! debbeelee1's Avatar
    Hmmm, I'm just a guy in a dress! I don't care what they call me!
    Hugs and kisses,
    Debbee!