Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: i have a question,

Quote Originally Posted by Petra1 View Post
    . . . The only difference it seems to me is that a transvestite acts & dresses like a woman, while a cross dresser merely dresses like one. . .
    And see, I would have said exactly the opposite.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Natalia View Post
    Lol nice one ;-)

but i do find myself agreeing - labels pah !!

its all about what works for you ( for the time being ) society is messed up wuth all the other crap around just dont let them make you feel like a minority or a victim ok ?

J xx

TXKimberly has my feelings on this if and when I let the cat-outa-the bag Trans-gendered well be my label, I see this as my life and not just a hobby, as for it being 24-7 probably not but this is the way I feel in my heart and sole, I'm Jennifer, I'm trans-gendered, and not a cross dresser, not that there's any thing wrong with that.
    Jennifer
    xoxoxoJennifer Easton
    Mighty bold talk for a one-eyed fat girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Petra1 View Post

cross-dress /ˈkrɔsˈdrɛs, ˈkrɒs-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kraws-dres, kros-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –verb (used without object) to dress in clothing typically worn by members of the opposite sex.

—Related forms
    cross-dresser, noun

trans·ves·tite /trænsˈvɛstaɪt, trænz-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[trans-ves-tahyt, tranz-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun a person, esp. a male, who assumes the dress and manner usually associated with the opposite sex.
    The word "Transvestite" is a French word and the above definition is correct. Trans means "cross" and "vestite" or vestage refers to clothing. In summation they mean the same. I personally think the term transvestite was used more in the past and crossdress is more in vogue now.
    Vivian

Banned Read only
    I already added two tags to this thread, but somebody add this one for me, okay?

"yadda-yadda"

I think labels are important. No one wan't to be defined by a label, but without them how do you know where to find information that relates to your interests? As an occasional CD, do you want to join a club that is 90% TG? For one thing, the groups focus is on going a lot further than you might want to and your first time out might be boring to them. So, you probably want to join the CDing club where there are more people having similar experiences to you. Without having a way to classify things you would never be able to join up with like minded individuals. Also, you need a way to describe to the general public so that they can differentiate you from the undesirable stereotypical classifications the media has tought them. Like it or not...it is best to find out where you fit in, that is the hard part since most of us have never felt like we fit in anywhere and it is difficult to really evaluate yourself honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by debbeelee1 View Post
    Hmmm, I'm just a guy in a dress! I don't care what they call me!
    As long as you don't call me late for dinner . . .

Labels

A therapist I went to years ago explained that the professional's view of the definition differences of the two terms is that "transvestite" usually is now used to refer to a more festishistic dresser that uses the clothing for sexual release- usually by masturbation. A person who dresses in panties or bullet bras, or slips alone for the tactile stimulation of the material would be classified as a transvestite.

"Crossdresser" applies to individuals who dress fully and are more attuned to a full attitude/lifestyle alteration; such as dressing as completely and accurately as a woman(MtF) as possible. It usually does not involve fetishistic clothing or activities, at least not as a primary goal of dressing.

You may agree or not, but that is the current psychological therapy community's definition.

Quote Originally Posted by Christinedreamer View Post
    A therapist I went to years ago explained that the professional's view of the definition differences of the two terms is that "transvestite" usually is now used to refer to a more festishistic dresser that uses the clothing for sexual release- usually by masturbation. A person who dresses in panties or bullet bras, or slips alone for the tactile stimulation of the material would be classified as a transvestite.

"Crossdresser" applies to individuals who dress fully and are more attuned to a full attitude/lifestyle alteration; such as dressing as completely and accurately as a woman(MtF) as possible. It usually does not involve fetishistic clothing or activities, at least not as a primary goal of dressing.

You may agree or not, but that is the current psychological therapy community's definition.

And that was what I had thought the definitions were all this time.

I'm not new, just quiet lizbendalin's Avatar
    Just a picky grammatical note, transgendered (with the 'ed') is something that happens to you or someone, it's an effect; transgender is who you are, your identity. For example, the difference between being dressed and being a dress. We would never refer to any other societal group or category with the 'ed' label attached, it just wouldn't make any sense. Just something to think about.
    It's not that I want to be a girl, or I want to be a boy; I want to be me!

My Facebook profile

What's the difference? About 40-50 years I'd say. When I first started dressing, there were no crossdressers, only transvestites. Now we've become more sophisticated it seems. Go figure.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

So, given what Christinedreamer wrote, I am often a transvestite, sometimes a crossdresser, and sometimes I start as a transvestite and then spend the remaining evening as a crossdresser

little place called Delaware, southerly from Philly Pa.
    Quote Originally Posted by dhampir View Post
    I'd look for information at:
    http://www.ifge.org/

and look at their links for resources in your area.

But that is me.

Love,
    Dita Bach
    I think this is a very good source of information for you to look to if you are thinking about taking the step of transformation. All my very best to you whatever you decide. bobbie