Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Women from where are more accepting of crossdressers

Girlygirl Tomboy Wannabee Toni_Lynn's Avatar

Women from where are more accepting of crossdressers

I don't mean this question to be the cause of an insternational incident -- but -- just a thought starter on opinions.

My wife is Canadian. I am USA-ian (but hope to be a Canadian someday).

This got us to thinking -- where are women more accepting of crossdressers. Our thoughts are that out of the UK, Canada, and the US that the UK would have women most open to crossdressers, Canada next, and the USA last. This purely opinion

But what about that list -- and what about elsewhere.

Again -- no international incidents here -- and no bloc voting -- (can you believe that Russia won Eurovision this past weekend!!!!!!) -- just thoughts

Huggles

Toni-Lynn

I think theres a lot of stuff to factor in some areas have more people into religion or different cultural values. If you are from the middle of no where Wyoming you might feel that its hard to find a girl accepting of it. However if your from Ny your chances will open up a little more. I do agree that in other countries it does seem they are more accepting. However the younger generations of women are more accepting of it in my opinion. It also goes how you bring about yourself as well, if you go up to someone you meet and are like I wear panties you may scare them off however if you take better judgment to how you explain your situations it could change the out come of what the person will think a great deal.

My wife is from the US as am I and she is very supporting of my Transsexualism.

I don't know how you've based your assumptions, but as a member of a TV/CD club called Northern Concord here in the UK, I dont think that UK women are particularly accepting of TV's.
    At our annual weekend away, I'd say that of 200 people, perhaps 20 of us are male/female couples - my wife and I being of them.
    It seems the same sort of ratio at other organisations events - organised by the Beaumont Society, for example. Most of the attendees are married/in a stable hetero relationship, whose SO is either unaware of the reason for her spouses weekend away (fishing?, paint-balling?, golf?), or they want nothing to do with the CDing
    Our people generally are far more inhibited than other nations, hence my opinion. I have little scientific fact other than the above, however.
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]"You can have my stilletoes when you can prise them from my cold, dead feet"

....My individual swag is:

1. UK Most accepting og the three listed
    2. Canada next accepting
    3. USA the least accepting....hummmm,
    maybe because I have spent all of my life in the USA and only passing through the UK and Canada?

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Hard to say. My wife was born in Japan, immigrated to Canada, so if she is relatively accepting, which country does that count for?

Maybe it's exposure to Monty Python and all their crossdressing at an early age or the extreme Canadian cold?? I'd say that if you did a statistical study... if one could ever be done... that country of origin or the country you currently reside has almost zero to do with tolerating crossdressing.... Except for maybe middle eastern countries.....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Now me being a GG, you may not want my opinion, but here it goes. I agree little bits on the above posts.
    1. Country of origin may have little to do with acceptance.
    2. The way it is approached may have more to do with it.
    Mostly, I think it has more to do with people coming more to terms with diversity over the years than anything else.
    PUTZ

I've only had one Canadian girlfriend in the past, and none from Britain, so am no authority on those GGs. But, one thing that I do assume is that the smaller geographic area is a factor. I think it's a good assumption that GGs from liberal areas, like San Francisco will be more tolerant than GGs from more conservative areas, like rural Michigan. But, there are always exceptions. I dated a woman from SF once who was not "down" with CDing, and one from the U.P. of Michigan, who thought it was cool.

So, I throw my hands up at the whole generalizing thing and go person by person.
    -Sedona

Down into the Easy Chair SweetCaroline's Avatar
    From my observation, it depends upon where you go with-in a country. The Untied States is a big country and contains every thing from back woods south to San Francisco. From Utah to New York City. I'm from New England, between the mid-Atlantic US and Canada, and don't see very much difference between where I am and Canada, and have found New England girls to be very acceptant of cross dressers, except for some rural areas..

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that acceptance of cross dressers, be it male or female, may be more of a regional thing within a certain country rather than a national thing. Not trying to excite any arguments, just saying. Cross dressing might be more accepted in X country than Y country overall. But there may be parts of Y country where cross dressing is more accepted than in parts of X-country.
    Last edited by SweetCaroline; 05-27-2008 at 08:35 PM.
    Caroline Emily
    Co-Moderator
    SISTERS FAMILY

Gardner Chapter
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sisters_of_gardner/
    Worcester Chapter
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sisters_of_worcester/

Family is the most important thing in the World.

I agree with Putz, in that it is dependent on the level of open mindedness of people in a peticular locale, than pinpointing any one country, etc. as being more accepting than another.

Bilinda the housekeeper! Bilinda's Avatar
    Well, what your actual question was, where do most WOMEN seem to be accepting of cd's. That's not the same as what place seems to be more overall CD friendly.

The place that seems to be most CD friendly seems to me to be the UK. BUT, as for where the women seem to be the most accepting of cd's, I think it's about the same everywhere.
    Don't put lipstick on dry lips unless you want it to stay on for 3 days!

I live in the UK & have a partner who loves "Katie", I have told all my lady friends about my dressing and on the whole they are cool with it. But I run a dressing service for gentlemen who for what ever reason can't tell their wives, girlfriends, mothers and there are a lot of them so I don't think that I can say that it is more exceptable to GGs in the UK than any where else.

Cereal Killer Ashley in Virginia's Avatar
    Prison. Women in prison are often just happy to have a guy on the outside.
    If I ever get real rich, I hope I'm not real mean to poor people, like I am now.

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley in Virginia View Post
    Prison. Women in prison are often just happy to have a guy on the outside.
    This is one I hadn't thought of!
    Dana Ryan

Let me add another question. What aged women are more accepting? I can only speak for my own experience but women my age group (50 something-60 something) are not very accepting.

What do you all think?
    Dana Fleming

Hayride

I can imagine a young woman wanting to play with a crossdresser in any era. I never allowed the opinions of my relatives or peers to turn me away from the idea of having a crossdressing friend, or gay friend. I am wired to be different from the herd, I suppose. (yay !) As a GG and a writer, some of my favorite tales would involve GG's and people who are Crossdressers. As I said : Any era. Hayride 1879, gangster car 1945, flying saucer 2009, basement 1900. You name it. Perhaps the open mindedness can be related to having empathy, and imagination. I think some GG's know what it's like to deal with insensitive men, and cd'er's tend to be more sensitive. And they will share an appreciation for make up and clothing. I know what it's like to try and shop for make up with a "nervous nelson" non cd who looks like he would rather be elsewhere. But, a crossdresser would "talk shop", and that can be a turn on.
    Accepting GG's are potentially everywhere, but you have to seek them out. Luckily, we have a better way to search than our 1800's Great great relatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Maybe it's exposure to Monty Python and all their crossdressing at an early age or the extreme Canadian cold?? I'd say that if you did a statistical study... if one could ever be done... that country of origin or the country you currently reside has almost zero to do with tolerating crossdressing.... Except for maybe middle eastern countries.....

Yes, but Canada has all those lumberjacks that are mentioned in that Monty Python song ~ surely that has something to do with it ?

Also Karren, those blinking eyes are freaking me out by the way !

I've only ever been to the Eastern seaboard of the USA (one of my favourite countries on Earth, by the way), but I always imagine that the West coast - California etc., being highly cosmopolitan and tolerant of non-mainstream lifestyles would have a high concentration of equally tolerant GG's - girlfriends, wives etc. Is this the case, or is all that stuff in the movies untrue?
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]"You can have my stilletoes when you can prise them from my cold, dead feet"

Banned Read only
    Quite honestly, I don't think geographical location or origin has anything to do with it. It's more a question of openness of mind, and an awareness that society is built around conventions which each and every one of us should seek to question.

There are crossdressers everywhere and people everywhere who accept or dislike them. As far as laws and public tolerance is concerned, I would be happier in New York or another big city instead of this snobby town outside of Allentown where the neighborhood is overrated and overpriced. My employer would fire me if they knew. I can't go to my family's church. There are a few places for people like me, but I have difficulty finding them. I don't want to sneak around or be segregated.

My wife had crossdresser friends long before she knew about me. Many are in Canada, Boston area, New York, Los Angeles and the UK. Europe is more accepting, Canada took a while, but they allow gay marriages. (If gays are accepted, then crossdressers are often accepted. We are clearly not in the same category except that we are not socially accepted.) The United States is STILL very backward in accepting people with gender issues.

The people in California must be going crazy with the laws being made, revoked, reinstated and changed in regards to gay marriage. Some crossdressers and/or transgendered people are gay. This issue is important. What if I decided to go from CD to TG. If I chose to be a female, could I still be married to my wife? (She asked that I don't go THAT far, because she is NOT interested in women.) It doesn't seem fair for government to say what gender we must be and who we can or cannot marry. The US needs to make changes and have equality for all.

My wife has a friend in Montreal who says they are still not accepting of her. She was a man but is a transgendered female who likes women. Remember, she was born a man interested in women. That means HE was straight, but now that he is a SHE, she is a lesbian. Why does this matter?

I will remain a crossdresser, a guy who likes to wear women's clothes and be married to a woman. I can't change that. I admire those who follow their hearts and do what they want. I can't lose my job. I have a son. I am what I am and that is that. I wish people could be more accepting. We must teach our children to accept others and hopefully the world can be a better place for them.

I have been crossdressing for decades and it really is much easier to shop and go in public now. I used to drive a longer distance to do this and now I go out in my own neighborhood. Change is slow, but I do see change. We have to stand up for ourselves. Donna doesn't want to be in the closet!

Quote Originally Posted by SweetCaroline View Post
    From my observation, it depends upon where you go with-in a country. The Untied States is a big country and contains every thing from back woods south to San Francisco. From Utah to New York City. I'm from New England, between the mid-Atlantic US and Canada, and don't see very much difference between where I am and Canada, and have found New England girls to be very acceptant of cross dressers, except for some rural areas..

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that acceptance of cross dressers, be it male or female, may be more of a regional thing within a certain country rather than a national thing. Not trying to excite any arguments, just saying. Cross dressing might be more accepted in X country than Y country overall. But there may be parts of Y country where cross dressing is more accepted than in parts of X-country.
    I agree. Well said.

Best,
    Gunda
    "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss" -The Who

"Ia, Ia, Cthulhu Fthagn!"

"After the Deluge - We!" - Savitri Devi

PVC Crazy Member iwearstockings's Avatar

Smile

out of all the GF's (14)I have told(5)who are all British,none of them ran a mile and my S/O is cool with it.. my first GF in 1985 was cool about it as i recall, although when we split up I was terrified she would tell everyone. OMFG that was 23 yrs ago!!!
    She did tell her best friend though and I went out with her for two years lol
    so british ladies are quite broadminded IMHO :^)
    Peace through superior dress sense..

Sweet Southern Girl looki Alicia_lynn419's Avatar
    I've often wondered the same thing, but have come to the same conclusion time and time again.... there is no ONE place or age that is more accepting than another. I've known accepting and non-accepting GGs from all areas of the world, and all ages. Everytime I think to myself I need a european lady in her mid to late 20's, I end up meeting a domestic GG in her 30s or 40s to prove me wrong.

Guess its a matter of faith....

Girlygirl Tomboy Wannabee Toni_Lynn's Avatar
    Thanks everyone for your observations. I guess I was basing my assumptions on another assumption, that being that the UK seems to have a greater tolerance of gender bending over the years -- what with a history of panto, crossdressing on television, Boy George et al .. well you catch my drift.

I placed Canada second on the list because of the large amount of British influence there -- and because the love of my life who accepts me totally is Canadian

Then I suppose I placed the USA third because well I grew up here and it wasn't always happy -- and the fact that the states seem to be more conservative about such things.

I am curious about Australia, Japan, and Western and Eastern Europe

Huggles

Toni-Lynn