Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Even Further Out There

Smile Even Further Out There

Well my two close GG friends at work already know about me, but today the situation took a massive leap forward.

For a long time the thought of transitioning has been at the front of my mind. What has held me back was the ability to be out in public with no problems and also the thought of employment. I really can’t see my employer giving me much support ~ in fact I could see them finding a way getting rid of me since I deal with all of our customers on a face to face basis.

After coming out to my friends, I was encouraged by the fact that they felt there was no reason why I shouldn’t carry on doing the same job if I did take the plunge. They even offered to smooth the way over with management and customers in the future.

Over coffee this week one of them offered to approach our (female) HR Manager/Director, who is based over the other side of Australia. With she being good friends with her, the idea was just to ask generic questions to get an idea of what sort of reception I could expect if I went ahead. I accepted her kind offer, but wasn’t expecting too much from the company.

So yesterday evening she made the call, basically asking if someone in the company wanted to transition, what would be the reaction by management.

The answer was surprising.

She replied that the company would be fully supportive and would do all it can to help – even to the point of educating the staff and customers if need be. My friend told her she would be very impressed and proud of our company if they could be as accommodating as that. The Manager went on to say that this sort of thing isn’t new to her as her friend transitioned from Male to Female some years ago.

But the manager then said, “Can I ask who is it?” – my friend said, “Sorry no, I promised not to pass that on. Then the manager said, “ Well is it xxx? (my name). My friend was stunned that she guessed it in one and was stuck for words. So the cat was out of the bag.

By the time she gathered her composure there was no point in denying they had been talking about me.
    My friend mentioned to her that she has seen me; we’ve all been out together at a restaurant, shopping and the movies had a wonderful time and that I’ll be able to interact with customers with no problems. Once again the manager was very supportive saying how good she thought that was and couldn’t see why there should be any problems.

When all this was passed on to me, I phoned the manager up for a chat. I told her of all my thoughts and plans. I mentioned about the shopping trips and generally being out in public… when I told her about me flying enfemme I could hear her gasp over the phone!

The main thing is that I’m not going to do anything until I get back from the SCC in Atlanta in October. Again she was so supportive saying the company wouldn’t be 90 or 95% behind me, but 100%. What ever I decide to do they will do all they can to help and support me. She told me not to worry about the job as I can carry on as before and they will smooth the way ahead of me. Our call went on for 40 odd minutes and it was clear she meant ever word.

I’m sure I’ll wake up in a minute and realise I’ve been dreaming !

Suzy

Last edited by Suzy Harrison; 06-18-2008 at 06:46 AM.

Banned Read only
    Darling Suzy! What a JOY!

I could see the fireworks going off between your words...

I'm so happy for you for such wonderful news.

I think you should start a correspondence with the HR manager, e-mail or letter, and get all that down in writing.

And don't forget a journal... your recollections and those of your supportive friends are very important.

Congratulations, brave one...

respect & love,

deja

Absolutely fantastic! Are you working in wonderland?
    Ali Cats Creameries

Home is where the cream is.
    I was born into a life of cream.
    Cream is Forever.

Boy, Suzy, this is getting a little scary, eh? It is as though all the pieces are falling into place for you. It's as though fate is falling into some kind of alignment. All your barriers are evaporating. One would almost begin to think that this is meant to be for you.

I'm sure that there are many more details in your life that will require your attention before you reach your final decision. But the last hurdle for you lies in the eight inches between your ears. Only you can seriously answer that last question. But I'm excited and happy for you....and even a little envious. There but for the grace of God go I, as they say.

Wow! What an exciting (and nervous!) time for you!

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Silver Member
    Your post is fantastic news and gives hope to many that may fear loosing a secure job position through transition. You are one giant step closer to being the real you! Although the company "talk" is encouraging, it is best to legally protect yourself with written signed/dated documentation as some may deny this or any other conversation related to your situation ever took place. Please continue to take care and protect yourself!

I feel very happy for you. Congratulations !

Love

Nadia

BRAVO SUZY... The stories of your adventures get more and more entertaining as they go along. I cannot wait for the next installment sometimes.

Kandis
    Someone once told me "Put on Your big girl panties and deal with it". If they only knew, I WAS ALREADY WEARING THEM.

I wear the bras and panties so my wife doesn't have to.

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.

As the twig is bent... Leslie Foxx's Avatar
    It's encouraging to see there are some enlightened employers that will come to bat for their people. Awesome!
    [SIZE="3"]Leslie[/SIZE]

"In these shoes?"

wow thats so cool suzy . just take your time i wish you all the best remember i am a phone call away my friend
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Great experience! Your friends sound wonderful!

I think I read somewhere that Austraila has laws to protect CDers so it shouldn't be a surprise that an employer will try to protect themselves. I'm happy to hear your HR manager is supportive. Like the other's say, keep records just in case the HR manager is replaced and things change. It is an insurance (actually same goes for any employee...documentation is a powerful negotiating tool when looking for a good termination package). Actually, it may even be a good idea to consult a lawyer before your major change at work.

Suzy that is wonderful news. You will find you will really start enjoying your life so much more. In my case most do not know, but everyone other employees and customers are great! You do work for a great company.

Eileen

Suzy, I am

SOOOOOOOO happy for you; more good reports from Australia.
    I hope to meet you at SCC.
    Janet

Great news Suzy. It looks like hurdles are quickly falling by the wayside. Follow your heart in wherever you go from here and know we are always here for you.

-Paula-
    "Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self." - Wizard's Tenth Rule:
    "Life is the future, not the past." - Wizard's Seventh Rule
    "Deserve victory." - Wizard's Eighth Rule
    "Be justified in your convictions. Be completely committed. Earn what you want and need rather than waiting for others to give you what you desire."

There is just one life for each of us: our own - Words from a fortune cookie

Do or Do Not. There is no try - Yoda

That truly is tremendous news. Really great. There are in fact truly enlightened people in the world. I presume, however, that it will be a huge commitment from you as well as your company, as I imagine they will expect you to transition to fulltime, all the time, no switching back and forth, at least on the job. Is that correct? But even so, it's wonderful, and I'd do it in a hearbeat.

Very cool, Suzy, it sounds like it's clear roads ahead. Congratulations both for your bravery and for your employer as well.
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    Marilyn Monroe

Semi Sane innocent angel
    Funny thing. When I read this title I thought hell, the only way you could go further is to go full time..

Ops can I say hell ??
    Business is the the art of extracting money from another mans wallet with out resorting to violence

9 out of 10 Dr say I'm sane. The 10th one never made it to the hearing. Did you know that California has drop bears ?

First a groom then a bride. Never again.

Suzy your life is changing for the better because you have shared your desire to dress as a woman with your friends/coworkers. I am so happy for you, and am looking forward to reading your progress as you transition after you attend southern comfort. I will be attending southern comfort and hope to meet you there. I think it is wonderful that we can wear the clothes that makes us feel better about ourselves. When you finally transition what will you wear to work? will it be skirts and dresses, or womens pants?

Happenin' Train Wreck Sonia Kiss's Avatar
    What a fantastically happy story Suzy! I'm so excited for you. It sounds like absolutely like this will work for you. Just take time to work with HR and everybody you need to to make it all go as smoothly as possible. You're going to love it! Sonia
    Public journal at wordpress.com: soniakeys.wordpress.com

Outdoor girl seeking..... Sam-antha's Avatar
    Congrtulations on your choice of friends and employer and their understanding. Your bravery too. Things really did fall into place during that phone call. Just imagine you are a long distance celeb.

Higgzzes to you from ~Samm

Boy-o-boy-o-boy-o-boy.

Does your company have any branches in The States? Great story Darlin', I am so happy for you.

I would only counsel to go a little slower than you think necessary. The One Manager has said it's fine, but don't give them anything to think you have "stepped over the line." As quickly as the privileges are given, they can be taken away!

What would be cool, is if you can find some type of written company policy about the situation. Things in writing always seem to carry "weight."

By the way, I'm going to try and make plans for Atlanta. At least to get up there by the weekend. I know Joann will be there, so if you don't see me representing for Tri-Beta, say Hi to our mutual friend.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Congrats

I am so happy for you. You sound so exciting. I'm sitting here getting excited with you.

Wow how VERY cool Suzy! I've got my fingers and toes crossed for you that everything will turn out well and you will be happy.
    I think transitioning in the work place happens more often than you might think. In my job, I've visited some very male oriented companies (Caterpillar, Cummins, etc) and they have had people transition there. You could you imagine the courage it would take to transition in an ultra male evironment like that?
    I also know that MY company has several that work at our corporate head quarters in MA. Of course I know about them by hearing others talking trash, but none the less, the company supported them.

You just don't do things half arsed do you? :-)

They call me quiet girl.. Sarah...'s Avatar
    Wow, Suzy! Your post sounded so happy, excited, full of wonderment, awe and surprise that I was positively fizzing with excitement for you. I'm desperate to hear how it all goes...

Sarah...

That's great news Suzy and I wish you all the luck in the world it works out for you if you go there hun.
    Angie