Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Collar Gurls?

Blue Collar Gurls?

I know this question has been asked in some form before, but I was wondering how many of us work in "blue collar" traditionally male jobs? Are you comfortable working in such jobs, e.g., do you think your co-workers would beat you to a pulp if they found out, do they make a lot of homo- or transphobic comments, etc.? Just wondering 'cause I'm thinking about embarking on a new career and haven't ruled out "da trades"
    Last edited by goofus; 06-18-2008 at 10:30 AM.

Not your typical girl Lissa Stevens's Avatar
    I work in a hospital maintenance dept. I have to be very low key as the guys can be brutal. When my nails have been too shiny I have been given some shit. If you do get into a traditional male job be careful until you know what's what.
    [SIZE="2"]Melissa[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]I'm still standin'
    Better than I ever did
    Lookin' like a true survivor
    Feeling like a little kid
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Lissa Stevens View Post
    I work in a hospital maintenance dept. I have to be very low key as the guys can be brutal. When my nails have been too shiny I have been given some shit. If you do get into a traditional male job be careful until you know what's what.
    I hear ya ... before I was shown the door I worked in a field that had a lot of men in it, and many of 'em were the hypermasculine "anyone that's different is bad" types (wonder how many of 'em secretly dressed or were attracted to men??), and I kind of want to avoid that if possible...

Actually most of the blue collar guys I work with, are Christian types. I had to lean to curb my language around them. And oddly enough, I've never heard one gay comment from them.

Yep i work in an all male environment (building vehicles) and there is a guy there who is slightly camp, boy does he get a lot of homophobic remarks.

But i am comfortable working there, because i can leave 'Dee' at home, and just be in drab male mode.

If they did find out, i would'nt hear the end of it and would suffer as the other guy has.

It would ultimately cost me my job as i would have to leave, so i am very carefull not to expose my fem side.

So, the answer to your question, Yes you could work in an all male environment, just keep your fem side to yourself.

Allthough i have had a great dream of going into work dressed in some hot sexy outfit and 4inch heels to see the reaction of their faces!

Luv Dee

I used to work blue collar jobs. I was a landscaper (underdressed all the time with bra, panties, and pantyhose). I was maintenance supervisor for a vet hospital, manager knew as she was my roommate/lover at the time, but did not underdress (other than panties and pantyhose). Now I work in a "white collar" job and can only underdress (other than panties and pantyhose) on Fridays.

Kandis
    Someone once told me "Put on Your big girl panties and deal with it". If they only knew, I WAS ALREADY WEARING THEM.

I wear the bras and panties so my wife doesn't have to.

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.

Depends where you are I think. I work right in the middle of the trades. They all know or suspect. I wear bright cap sleave T shirts and 4" shorts and a lady's watch but no more than that. I don't ever get in anyone's face. When on the job I behave just like the male trades mechanic I am. I have never had to take one ounce of shit. On ocasion I get a joking remark about not getting my panties into a bunch. Good ol'e boys just having a little fun! Again; it depends where you are. This is Ithaca, NY. Just like the bumper sticker says: "TEN SQUARE MILES SURROUNDED BY REALITY"

I take it you're fairly young if you're thinking of changing careers. So, what about the medical profession? There are a lot of 'certified' positions without having to get a degree. I would think the environment would be a lot safer.

Well, it's not safe being white collar and a crossdresser also! I've had poor employment in Chicago because of this!

Quote Originally Posted by Annesah View Post
    Depends where you are I think. I work right in the middle of the trades. They all know or suspect. I wear bright cap sleave T shirts and 4" shorts and a lady's watch but no more than that. I don't ever get in anyone's face. When on the job I behave just like the male trades mechanic I am. I have never had to take one ounce of shit. On ocasion I get a joking remark about not getting my panties into a bunch. Good ol'e boys just having a little fun! Again; it depends where you are. This is Ithaca, NY. Just like the bumper sticker says: "TEN SQUARE MILES SURROUNDED BY REALITY"
    Ah, Ithaca. I'd love to live there - or the People's Republic of Madison. As it is, I live in Indiana, in one of the not-so-cool college towns

Quote Originally Posted by KandisTX View Post
    I used to work blue collar jobs. I was a landscaper (underdressed all the time with bra, panties, and pantyhose). I was maintenance supervisor for a vet hospital, manager knew as she was my roommate/lover at the time, but did not underdress (other than panties and pantyhose). Now I work in a "white collar" job and can only underdress (other than panties and pantyhose) on Fridays.

Kandis
    Um...was that a joke, you can only underdress on Fridays?

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Rose View Post
    I take it you're fairly young if you're thinking of changing careers. So, what about the medical profession? There are a lot of 'certified' positions without having to get a degree. I would think the environment would be a lot safer.
    Well, I'm definitely not as young as I used to be...but I feel like I've been 'blacklisted' out of my old profession (not for being a CD) so I need to find something new, and I have considered the medical field also...

Quote Originally Posted by KateSpade83 View Post
    Well, it's not safe being white collar and a crossdresser also! I've had poor employment in Chicago because of this!
    Bummer! I would have thought Chicago would be cooler than that...
    Last edited by Shelly Preston; 06-19-2008 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Please use multi quote button

dangerous zones

I always stayed as a closed crossdresser because of the dangerous enviroment I live in , Being a crossdresser is not acceptable , therefore I wear all my lengeries covered at home .

I worked as a panel beater for nearly 10 years and never once would i have thought to do anything that bought unnessecary attention to myself... the only "out there" thing i used to do was colour my hair, but then again everybody does that.

We had a guy there who was very homophopic and we used to make him feel as uncomfortable as we could, mind you, the rest of us were all married with kids, or adult kids so nothing untoward going on there. If they only knew what i did in my spare time!!!! (not the gay part)

Now with my current job, (truck driver) there are some guys there who you would swear would be as camp as a row of tents but they're not.. they're top blokes.
    We all poke fun at it at each other most of the time.
    i am what I am, I do what I do..
    i do not seek approval from others.

Yeah, the guys I work with would be in prison if not working at that moment, so I know all about this. You just have to be meaner and tougher than they are, or at least act like it

PM me if you wanna know more
    DanaJ

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have been a tool and die maker since 1982. For the last 3 years I have been in design. The guys on the shop floor can be very brutal. They would make my life miserable. One guy in my department knows I dress, he saw my panty waistband one day. He is completely cool with it and has not said anything to anyone. He has known for over a year. But typically, in this trade there can be some real a$$holes. I would never be able to work here and walk through the shop with visible bra straps or cami straps under my shirt. Michigan is an "at will" state and my employer really does not need a reason to terminate someones employment. If anyone here works in the metro Detroit area and knows of a place that I can do plastic mold design as Karyn.......let me know.

blue collar

I work in an extremely blue collar job. I am the manager of a towing co. and I am sure if the owners ever found out I would be no longer employed. I work with all kinds of people and all kinds of situations. Some of the people I have to deal with can be quite rough, but that does not bother me too much. What bothers me is the lack of time I get to have with Bethany and my wife. I sometimes underdress but have to be careful not to let it be known. If anyone in this industry found out my secret I would never hear the end of it. Not worried about being beat up though because I can become a serious bad ass bitch if I have to be. I hopw some of this helped answer the ? Good luck everyone, you girls the greatest.

Goofus, I've been a blue collar girl all my life, a four year hitch in the navy and then "da trades" as a carpenter followed by some dump truck driving. All those fields were pretty macho and I doubt would be very accepting of our lifestyle. I don't know if I would have been beaten to a pulp but I may have ended up as part of a building foundation if I would have shown up at work in hot pink short shorts and sequined halter top. None of the guys at work knew about my dressing and I was only too glad to keep it that way. I'm retired now and can dress whenever I want and if I ever meet any of my former co workers when I'm dressed, I'll just flash a big smile and say "now you know the rest of the story" Luv and Jill
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Quote Originally Posted by goofus View Post
    Um...was that a joke, you can only underdress on Fridays?
    Nope, no joke there. I work in an industry that requires me to be in a suit/tie most days. While I do not want to always wear a jacket (Houston Texas and summer - 90+ degress with a minimum of 30% humidity on a daily basis), so on Fridays which is when I can get away with wearing my leather vest over my t-shirts, I can wear a bra.

Kandis
    Someone once told me "Put on Your big girl panties and deal with it". If they only knew, I WAS ALREADY WEARING THEM.

I wear the bras and panties so my wife doesn't have to.

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.

I'm a carpenter and I wear women's tee shirts, shorts and anklet socks to work in the warmer months and women's sweats and sweat shirts (hoodies) in the colder months. Always have panties and sports bras underneith it all.
    I've gotten questions about the sports bras, only because they are easily seen, but never any bad commentsor hassled in any way.
    I'm sure my panties have been seen on numerous occasions but again nothing has ever been said about them.

I work in a foundry. I wouldn't show up there en femme, but I have made enough wisecracks about CD'ing to make some of them wonder. But then again, we're a pretty strange lot. Lots of homoerotic banter, talking about putting coworkers in a gimp suit, etc.

Everyone is in on the joke, but an outside observer would be horrified.

M-hoping they have a Halloween party this year....

Great responses, everyone. I wonder - with so many blue collar guys admitting here that they crossdress, how many of the macho posturing types secretly want to do (or actually do) the same thing??

Is it just me or......... Carroll's Avatar
    My job is kind of unisex, I work retail but I am not a sales associate. I basically set up sale signs, change prices, and set up new displays in the hardlines area (Tools, lawn and garden, electronics)
    Drumming, My other hobby

Although not currently a blue collar worker, I find it rather amusing to visit lumberyards, hardware stores, landscape supply centers, etc., in heels and a skirt, with my nails done.

Pretty much no one bothers me about it, because I am solidly built for a smaller guy, and I radiate toxic gamma rays.

Once in a while someone will say, "nice skirt," and I simply reply, "thank you."

Never have I had to physically threaten anyone, nor resort to violence.

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    I posted a brief thread last summer (don't know if it is still around) about a road construction worker I passed (here in Winnipeg) who had big earrings, not what you would think of as masculine style. I no longer recall if he was wearing anything femme. In any case, he looked perfectly at ease with the rest of the crew.

If I recall correctly, several responses I received at the time were along the lines of "Yes, construction guys often wear big earrings or other 'outrageous' apparel, and that is quite acceptable in the industry as long as you have the personality to stand up for yourself."

I work in the rescue industry. Macho bullcrap abounds and the possibility of me ever revealing is impossible for me to stay employed. I have contributed to this macho scene in an active sense and enjoy the banter that it creates. Adrienne is my alter ego and I enjoy the fact that she is a secret from my mainstream life!

Quote Originally Posted by Adrienne CD View Post
    I work in the rescue industry. Macho bullcrap abounds and the possibility of me ever revealing is impossible for me to stay employed. I have contributed to this macho scene in an active sense and enjoy the banter that it creates. Adrienne is my alter ego and I enjoy the fact that she is a secret from my mainstream life!
    Wow...proves my point that sometimes the macho posturing is actually a cover...