Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Using a real photo for your avatar

:) Post-Op Hippie Chick CharleneT's Avatar
    Sometimes I think I should hide a little... but my feeling is that I want those who read my posts to have a clue what I look like. Makes it seem a bite less removed. I am not "out" to many in my town, so there is some risk. I figure if they find it, they were looking for CD stuff anyhow, probably friendly about it. It took me about a day to decide to put it up.

C.

Sapphire, What a lovely gem of a name. I had wanted to put a picture of myself on my avatar but didn't know how because I'm such a computer dummy. With the help of my SO Jill's profile is now proudly displayed on my avatar. Luv and Jill
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

i have been like this all my life and evry one knows so why not

Since I read this Thread I decided to return to my original avatar. Taken back in Dec 07, on my computer camera. when I get my hair done and have my GG mistress take another shot, I guess this will do.

Thanks for posting this.

xoxo, Evie
    Last edited by EveMarie; 06-26-2008 at 09:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Cereal Killer Ashley in Virginia's Avatar
    Bah goes the sheep. lol. No thanks, picture avatars aren't for me.
    If I ever get real rich, I hope I'm not real mean to poor people, like I am now.

I like Tasha68's reasons...and agree - exhiliration (sp.) and self-affirmation.
    I do like the anime avitars, and sketches too...as even though they aren't photo-real, they do give insight about the person ~ similar to art telling something about the artist.

I am NOT a junior sob sob Edwina's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BLACK STOCKINGS;
    Here is a link to a website that will take any picture and create an aviatar to the size you need it.

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/
    I just tried this site and it is so simple it is brilliant

I think it should be posted in the "sticky" about avatar photos.
    Thank you Black stockings.

Edwina

Quote Originally Posted by JennyRotten View Post
    You ladies are brave,until I get out of the military I will not show my face in my avatar.
    I can understand that, was in the military myself. Saw a "blanket party" for a couple of guys who weren't "normal".

K

Posting the avatar goes right to the heart of the issue of why this site is better than any other. We are essentially conducting conversations about our lives and how they are affected by our TG circumstances.

Since I can't sit across the table from you in a nice restaurant, have a glass of wine and talk about these things( and numerous other topics that come up), at least when I see the avatar, it allows me to think I am dealing with a real person instead of electrons scattered around the screen, and it lends credibility to the information being bandied about.

Now of course, the avatar you post might not be of you, and all of your postings might be just so much rubbish. But that circumstance is usually exposed fairly quickly and those people disappear...

We are all on a journey here, and if you don't feel comfortable showing yourself to the great unknown I can easily understand that. I hope that you can get comfortable with the whole TG thing in your life and allow this little part of you to surface
    Karen Francis

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Francis View Post
    Posting the avatar goes right to the heart of the issue of why this site is better than any other. We are essentially conducting conversations about our lives and how they are affected by our TG circumstances.

Since I can't sit across the table from you in a nice restaurant, have a glass of wine and talk about these things( and numerous other topics that come up), at least when I see the avatar, it allows me to think I am dealing with a real person instead of electrons scattered around the screen, and it lends credibility to the information being bandied about.

Now of course, the avatar you post might not be of you, and all of your postings might be just so much rubbish. But that circumstance is usually exposed fairly quickly and those people disappear...

We are all on a journey here, and if you don't feel comfortable showing yourself to the great unknown I can easily understand that. I hope that you can get comfortable with the whole TG thing in your life and allow this little part of you to surface
    Wow, very well put Karen!

how long

IT took me a few months I think and felt pretty safe putting my picture on here. Have talked to a lot of girls since then. I am glad I did.
    Janet

I just thought what the hell, and went ahead. I don't think anyone will recognise me, but if they do then I may ask what they are doing looking on this site.

I wouldn't have it any other way

As soon as I figured out how to up load pictures I got my real picture posted. The problum I'm having is posting picture in the photo gallery They never seem to up load for me. Anyway I figure if anyone I know see's my picture on this site.... Well they must be one of us girls. So God bless themDaviolin

I am just hoping that a casting director will discover me!

Former Member
    It is a risk. I figure if someone I know sees me on this site, they are here for a reason too. I look completey different in feminine mode, so the chances are small.

For me, there was never a doubt. I am who I am, and there is no shame in me. For an "oldy but goodie" I'm really rather proud of who I am, and even more proud of the fact that, in my mind, I am a good person (who is having a terrible time typing in these incredibly long fingernails) who continues to make every effort to bring happiness to my friends and family.

Blushing June '07 Bride Sheri 4242's Avatar
    It took me a couple of months to post my photo, but since I did about a year ago, nobody I know has seen it (or at least nobody has commented). I am positive this is a low-risk place to post a photo, PLUS in our femme selves we do have a relative change in appearance. It is GREAT to have a photo of who you are talking to! Like many of you, I have a high-profile job and am well known where I live, but this has not been a problem!
    [SIZE="4"]Sheri[/SIZE]

The "avatar" never struck me as a place to put a picture of myself. If I ever did take a picture of myself dressed that didn't seem awful, I would probably just upload it on photobucket. To each their own...

Never had any worries about posting a photo of myself as my avatar. I doubt anyone would recognise me from the photo (even bigger photos like the profile photo or in the Gallery), because a wig absolutely transforms my look!

Thanks for all your possitive comments. I did not want to put a picture at all in my avatar. I did ot have the confidence to do it. But I have just added my first picture. I hope you like it...

I know this may sound cowardly but I dare not put a full picture of me on the site. I travel the whole of the UK on business and it wouldn't help my career to show a full picture of me, so sorry to say I have to stick with this view of me. I'm also no where near as convincing or as good looking as the others shown in this thread so far.

Luv Alie xxx

Client Eastwood

"Ever man should know his limitations". Having a recorded image of my outer side does not truly show my inter-vision. So, please forgive me if I live in the real world and dream in the shadows.

Amazing Member
    MsJanessa, I know I am creating an image as a bit of a sourpuss, first posting a photo in the gallery that lacks a smile, and now a drawign that lacks a smile, but in both cases, technical reasons, made my natural, not-too-smiley self, look really, really unsmiley. With the drawing, there were some slips made, and then I could not figure out how to fix them, without erasing all the good drawing. I think I need a drawing pad, rather than just using a mouse and a shaky grip on its movement, but I am broke again, so that does not seem a real prospect right now. So now I have created an impression, I shall have to get a photo of myself to match the drawing! A case perhaps of life taking after cartoons.
    Last edited by Beth-Lock; 06-28-2008 at 12:27 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby B View Post
    I am just hoping that a casting director will discover me!
    Do you have an agent?

[SIZE="1"]And yes, I mean it. If it's really a dream that is possible, go for it![/SIZE]
    Stephanie

Mac - It really does Just Work

I had no problem posting a picture, except I hoped it would be a reasonable one. As I go through this CDing, it seems that my tastes change month to month. From these pictures I think it would be hard to tell whom I am, yet would be a help for the people on the forum to see who was talking.
    Charlie