View Poll Results: Do you have, or have had, either a beard or other facial hair?

Voters
206. You may not vote on this poll
  • I currently have a beard or other facal hair.

49 23.79%
  • I occasionally have a beard or other facial hair.

23 11.17%
  • I did have a beard or other facial hair.

85 41.26%
  • I have never had a beard or other facial hair.

49 23.79%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To beard or not to beard

I used to have a beard, and what a beard it was...

We're talking Old Testament prophet here. I used to be called "Eric the Viking" and "Fuzzy". I could wipe my hands in it like Rasputin. I think it was compensation. I have a face that can go either way. With long hair, I can almost pass. I grew the beard and got a #2 cut all the way round in order to look more "manly".

Well two things happened. I got into reenacting, and I had to lose the beard in order to better portray the era. I also got sick of seeing the beard en femme. You can guess which reason was more important.

M

Ridiculous Beard

I have never gone more than 5 days without shaving since I started over 20 years ago. I saw a gentleman on my flight last Friday in his 30's with a really ridiculous looking beard that must have been at least 12 months old. If I am being perfectly honest, unless you are a trapper in Alaska, there is absolutely no reason for any man to have a beard. I just think they are gross.

Deedee

I've had a mustache since I started growing one when I was 16. I always thought it hid my rather dorkey protruding upper lip. This was also a time when I let my hair grow down to my shoulders. Everybody said I looked like Jimmy Page. After that I grew a beard but it looked too 70's Bee Gee's so I trimmed down to a goatee. I had let the goatee and mustache grow down to my chest but then I realised it made me look like I didn't deserve to earn my wage. After trimming that down it's now a blondish grey that really doesn't stand out. Many people have commented how much better it looks. I've been considering shaving off the goatee but not so sure about the "stache"

I had a moustache for twenty years and a beard for ten. I was hiding deep in the closet then so my facial hair was not an issue. New regulations at work forced me to shave the beard and I did the moustache with it. A few years after shaving the beard I started going out en femme. I was in the hospital a few years ago and grew some muttonchops which I shaved as soon as I got out. I've fond that makeup is much easier without the beard.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

Billye, I have been dressing seriously since 1960 and in 1971 I grew a beard and kept it until February 2008. I had been in the closet all that time, also I worked as a carpenter in the building trades, and the beard had become my identity. I gradually started coming out after my wife passed away last August. Now that I'm clean shaven I can blend in with women in any setting, and I can be in public with confidence. Luv and Jill
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

girl next door
    I gotta say "I hate shaving!!!" Well... my face anyway. That, and I have rather sensitive skin which gets pretty raw if I shave too often. So, I often have a day or three of growth. Often after a couple of days I'll shave my neck and cheeks, leaving just the goatee. That rarely lasts more than a week or so, then I shave it all off and get all girlied up.
    [SIZE="3"]
    my wish for you is peace
    [/SIZE]

lo·gom·a·chy /loʊˈgɒməki/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[loh-gom-uh-kee] –noun, plural -chies.
    1. a dispute about or concerning words.
    2. an argument or debate marked by the reckless or incorrect use of words; meaningless battle of words

I had a mustache for years but I couldn't grow a beard because the hair was too thin. Now that I'm old, the hair on top of my head has moved down to make my beard thicker and onto my back and chest. Yuk! I spend all my time in the shower shaving.

Beard or no Beard

I shave off everything except my arm hair and pubic hair (I do trim it). I am working on getting the arm hair off; but don't want to rush that. For me; I don't want to be a girl; but when I dress, I do feel like a girl and want to look like a girl. If you want to go out in public, then you better do all you can to look like a girl! If you feel like being a man, just underdress and you still get a little of the feelings. I always underdress.

Hugs

Nicole

Silver Member
    I had a full beard for several years during my period of denial of being a cd. I thought that looking as manly as possible would somehow make me want to stop being a cd. During this time I did a complete purge to force myself to stop dressing. Of course this did not work so the beard was shaved off and the wardrobe was replaced. Like the saying goes, 'live and learn'.

I had a full beard for about 30 years until I decided to dress alot. I haven't grown it back once in the last 3 years and don't really miss it!
    beard.jpg
    Sally

My wife and I have made a compromise. I underdress 24/7, outerdress when the stepson is not home (which is alot) and I keep a goatee. Unfortunately I hate the goatee and dont like to see myself in a mirror dressed in pink lacies and a hairy face. But she has too have something her way and when I am in my male persona I have a weak chin and the hair does look better than not.

I've had a beard for many years. I've shaved it 3 different times when my wife and I went to Chicago to attend the CGS xmas parties. It's a catch 22 for me. I like my look as a man much better with the beard (as does my wife), but naturally when I dress i would prefer not to have it. My wife also insist that I keep it and I think the main reason is she is afraid I will be more caught up in dressing and wanting to go out locally if I shave (she's probably right).

I didn't shave my mustache off until I knew I was going to be able to dress and go out. To a TG holiday party My wife really really didn't want me to shave, and she was going out with me.

I told her about another couple that went out, and the husband didn't shave, at his wife's insistance. She had a miserable time at the party the year before, and spent a good bit of it in tears. She then asked him to shave.

So my wife relented.

Note that she knew that if I shaved, I would be more prone to go out more often, which is the real reason she didn't want me shaving.
    DonnaT

I had a full beard and mustache for 28 years. 2 years ago I decided to get rid of both and don't ever plan on growing them back.

-Paula-
    "Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self." - Wizard's Tenth Rule:
    "Life is the future, not the past." - Wizard's Seventh Rule
    "Deserve victory." - Wizard's Eighth Rule
    "Be justified in your convictions. Be completely committed. Earn what you want and need rather than waiting for others to give you what you desire."

There is just one life for each of us: our own - Words from a fortune cookie

Do or Do Not. There is no try - Yoda

Semi Sane innocent angel
    I hate shaving, so I get electrocuted once a week.
    Business is the the art of extracting money from another mans wallet with out resorting to violence

9 out of 10 Dr say I'm sane. The 10th one never made it to the hearing. Did you know that California has drop bears ?

First a groom then a bride. Never again.

I stay clean shaven most of the time; I also shave other parts of my body than my face: underarms, legs, chest. I'm actually not a person with a heavy beard, so when I shave, the clean-shaved look lasts at least a day. However, I would like to find a way (other than electrolysis) that would give me an unbearded look.
    warmly, Linnea

I had a moustache for a while. I never dressed when I had it. That was an image that I just couldn't wrap my head around. Once I shaved it off, I realized that dressing was more important to me. I have never had one since.
    Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right.

I only shave once a week, Friday nights.. any more often than that it starts to burn. I've been threatening my wife that if my weight loss program doesn't work and i balloon out too much that i'll grow one, she's not keen on that idea, something about me, depression and anger in the same sentence worrys her.

I can dress during the week whenever i want, just no photos.
    i am what I am, I do what I do..
    i do not seek approval from others.

Quote Originally Posted by Angie G View Post
    I have a mustache that my wife insists I keep and the Grandkids want me to keep it so it stays.
    Angie
    Yes but what do YOU want?

Yvonne
    Always remember you're unique... Just like everyone else.

I had a "full set" of wiskers untill 2&1/2 yrs ago, As a "hairy biker" it was what was expected, I dressed and unless I loked in a mirror it didn't matter, The excuse I used to myself and friends to shave it off was that it made me look older than I was (it was totaly grey) but the truth was I wanted to look more fem. when dressed, when I did shave I did look younger! I now wish I had done it years ago

I started growing a mustache when I was 18. I had a large mole on my upper lip, which I cut almost every time I shaved, and I used that as an excuse. In reality, I was trying to deny my inner self and be a "real guy". When that didn't work too well, I tried more of the same thing and added a beard -- how stupid is that! I was then stuck with the darn thing, as it became somehow a part of my self-image.
    Earlier this year I had an irresistible urge to shave. Once I started, I could not stop. I started with my under-arms (what a stupid place to have hair if you don't want to stink!). Then my legs, my arms, my chest, my -- you know, down there -- then the beard, and the very last thing to go was that stupid mustache. I saw the mole again for the first time in ..... gasp! ... 44 years! Only now, it was a big evil-looking lump. A doctor took that off with a scalpel in 5 minutes with no pain.
    All those wasted years ... sigh...

Now I shave and/or epilate everything. I can't stand having body hair. A few weeks ago I met a very attractive and obviously smart GG, whilst hiking in the woods on a warm spring day. She was wearing a sleeveless top, and had thick tufts of hair under her arms, and I could smell her BO from 6 feet away! Why would anyone want that?

Unhappy

I in my 30's and 40's was clean shaven and went out, and as we say always passed. In 1990 a deer decided to jump in front of my motorcycle, and I wound up with a case of road rash, and a few scars. Not bad, but I no longer cared for my appearance, and makeup didn't help. That was the end of my outings. At the time of the accident I had on full underdressing. Was lucky to get back home and remove it before going to hospital. Wife had to cut off my bra and slip as my arm was also messed up. DeeDee3

Pleased to be a member! Anita1day's Avatar
    I have had a full beard and moustache... my entire body was completely covered in black hair, which was tough as wire. I shaved my entire body, but it was terribly uncomfortable when it started to grow back in... it was impossible for me to keep up with the shaving and I required so much makeup to cover it, that I decided upon permanent hair removal... Last year I began laser treatments (nose to toes) and am now following up with electrolysis. The initial pain was intense, but the hair is really thinning out... I look forward to the day when I throw out the razor for good. I have started to treat my skin with much more respect... proper cleansing and tons of daily moisturisers... The results: SOFT, SMOOTH, TOUCHABLE SKIN FROM HEAD TO TOE! If I had known how enjoyable the results would be, I would have done this thirty years ago! However, we all have different needs and life situations, but if you feel you need it, DO IT NOW!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Why is "bra" singular and "panties" plural?

Dress well and dress often!
    Your supportive TG sister,
    Anita Marie
    http://www.facebook.com/anita.marie.edwards

I have had a moustache since I was 18. It is just part of me. A couple of years ago, my wife talked me into shaving it off for a few days. I hated not having it and grew it back. I guess I am just a guy who likes to wear womens clothes and a little make up. If society would just accept cross gender dressing, I would be a happy guy.

Quote Originally Posted by StephanieT View Post
    I guess I am just a guy who likes to wear womens clothes and a little make up. If society would just accept cross gender dressing, I would be a happy guy.
    Pretty much sums it up. But I wish it was just as simple as being a man that likes to wear womans clothes. I thinks its a little more complicated. I have discovered I am not sure what gender really is!!
    yin/yang