Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Movies

The Movies

I haven't been here in awhile, so forgive me if this topic has been discussed recently.

A. Do you think a 'true' crossdressing story has been fully addressed in America through a wide release film?(Exclude England and any film where crossdressing is really a man in disguise, like 'Tootsie' or 'Mrs. Doubtfire', or any transexual, or drag queen subjects. I'm talking about a 'classic' crossdresser, if there is such a thing. Married, straight, ect...)

B. If such a film were made, what issues would you like to see addressed? (Work issues, problems in marriage, going out for the first time, buying girl stuff, ect.)

C. How much specific detail about crossdressing do you think 'Mainstream America' can handle? (Buying breast forms, going into a woman's public restroom, ect.)

D. Would you rather see a semi-light romantic comedy about crossdressing be on major screens (that deals with the issues of CDing in an 'easy to take' way, that's honest and positive about CDing, yet accessible to the general public -- along the lines of 'To Wong Foo') OR would you rather see a dramatic indie that deeply explored the issue with gritty detail?

Thanks for your thoughts.

S.
    Last edited by susandrea; 06-23-2008 at 11:06 AM.
    ....we are all made of stardust

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I've written a few scripts and have attempted to develop a few with a crossdresser theme embedded in the story. I think in a romantic comedy it would work best if the character is as comfortable with their dressing as Clinger was in M.A.S.H. The recent Transamerica did well, using the lead character's gender change as a means of doing Shakespear's mistaken identity ploy, allowing the lead character to interact with his son, but as a stranger. In more dramatic stories there would be more conflict surrounding that crossdresser and it would have to be part of the character arc needing to be resolved. There are a lot of options, but I agree it is a void in the system.

To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar (1995)

Ed Wood

Glen or Glenda, a 1953 Ed Wood film, was probably the closest.

On TV there was Steve Cary, Drew Cary's crossdressing brother.

But I can't think of anything that has been done about a CDing husband and his wife (negative, supportive or semi-supportive).
    DonnaT

A. "Normal" was quite good, it was in a rural setting.
    "Breakfast on Pluto" was an excellent film that dealt with a transsexual.

B. I would like to see something in an urban setting, the struggles through youth and onward, the difficulty in buying clothes, first time out, meeting other CDs, online forums and friendships, marital issues - acceptance and non-acceptance, struggle with sexuality, mtf as well as ftm,...

C. There should be more stores for CDs where one can try things on, why aren't there more? Washroom issues, definitely. Many, if not most, CD shopping sites are aimed for those interested in boudoir attire, not day-to-day wear, and the clothes look like they are for women, fitwise. For example, many of the bras expose too much and since we wear forms it doesn't look right.

B. Both styles could have their place depending how they were handled. The comedy should have some drama and the drama (inde) should have some comedy. Sometimes a tragedy will shake people up and there has been enough of that to write something about.

Bonnie

'To Wong Foo' was about drag queens. I know it seems like splitting hairs to some, but the motives and life-styles are portrayed quite differently, as they should be.

And Ed Wood was about a director who happened to be a CD, and that issue wasn't exactly 'explored'.

'Normal' is close, but it was about a transexual, and pure drama.

NOT a character. Klinger only dressed to be declared insane enough to go home -- not exactly a positive image (and not a true CD), although it was done gently and with humor.

I'm talking about a story where the lead is a down-to-the bone, modern day CD, and the issues he faces coming out to the world.

Perhaps the closest thing done so far is the British film -- I forget the name right now -- where a CD was kicked out by his wife and lived in a boarding house, eventually falling in love with his landlady. That was done way back in the 80's I believe, and I never even saw it on DVD, so I'd hardly call it Mainstream. Especially here in the U.S.

Aspiring Member Sasha Anne Meadows's Avatar
    The British film about a CD being kicked out by his wife was called Just Like a Woman. Its protagonist in the plot is an American. I submit that this is probably the most accurate firm ever made that focused on what true cross dressing is all about. The film introduces its auidience to such CD terms as "passing" and "being read." Though the sub plot gets a little silly (taking over the company) its main premise is quite good. I rented the film in the late 1990s (I now own it) and it appeared to be a fairly recent release so I would guess it was released to theaters (if released at all) in the mid 1990s. I highly recommend this to both CDs and non CDs alike. Has anyone else here seen it?

I had the movie Just Like a Woman, thought it was very well done. After my wife passed away I was dating a gal and could see that it was becoming serious. One evening I played it on the VCR for her and at the end asked her what she thought about the film. She said, 'that's kind of interesting.' I told her, 'I am one of those persons.' This was an easy introduction to my crossdressing and enabled us to have a lot of discussion about it, what it meant to me, and how it would affect our relationship. She has been very accepting of me although she says she doesn't understand it. I tell her that is ok, neither do I. We have been married ten great years now.

Just Like a Woman

By all means rent or buy this movie. It is based on a true story and it is quite heartrending in some scenes in ways many of us can identify with. They have fun with it, explore the serious soul searching side of an SO and even add some silliness at the end to satisfy the fantasy crowd. It is very well acted and the protagonist is Adrian Psdar who has mae many appearances in Anmerican films and IMO oneof the best actresses today- Julie waters.

Julie also starred in Billy Elliott as the ballet teacher. She presents a most believable portrayal of a woman conflicted by her original misunderstanding of the concept of CDing and her love for the en drab side of the main character-Gerald.

A mainstream movie in America about a hetero CD? Don't know of one. "the Crying Game" is probably the most well known movie about a CD, but she was not a person interested in GG's. "Breakfast on Pluto" by the same filmmaker is a story about a CD, but again not someone involved romantically with a GG.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

As was said, the problem with Just Like a Woman was the plot. The guy makes a hostile takeover of his company by making a high-powered presentation to the board of directors, all while en femme. Yet not one of them suspected that he was a CD, much less a guy who worked for them. So it fell apart for me there as a movie that was addressing the CD issue.

I liked that his best friend knew, and it didn't phase him. I liked the beginning, where his over-reactive wife tosses all his stuff out their second story window into the street. Not that I would like that to happen to me, but I thought it was an accurate depiction of how women respond when they learn of their husbands' crossdressing. I also liked that his new circle of aquaintences had no problem with his crossdressing as they got to know him.

But we have yet to see a really well made film that directly deals with crossdressing in relationships.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Wow Sus, Pretty deep stuff, but very legit. I have seen the movies you mentioned and it's true, none of them have ever tackled the issues facing us in real life. In fact, most movies and/or tv programs showing crossdressers usually portray them as buffoons. I would like to see a real nitty gritty issue intensive movie about a married crossdresser, father of four, active in scouts, a role model for his kids, a hard working blue collar guy with a supportive wife.

I would like to see all the issues you mentioned along with perhaps inquisitive neighbors, church and school, co workers/bosses, sports, travel,etc. The list can go on indefinitely. Instead of portraying us as clowns a movie should bring out the human qualities of crossdressers. I think it would be a more realistic approach to a controversial issue, and perhaps a wake up call to society saying, "hey we're regular people and would like to be treated as such".

I don't think mainstream America is ready for such a movie and I doubt any producer or directer would have the stones to make a movie like that even if society was ready. Although there have been quirky tv programs like Northern Exposure and Picket Fences, nothing has tackled crossdressing head on. Here's an idea, all of us on this forum should write a script, produce and direct a movie ourselves. I'll bet it would win an Oscar for the "most controversial".....Luv and Jill
    Quote Originally Posted by susandrea View Post
    I haven't been here in awhile, so forgive me if this topic has been discussed recently.

A. Do you think a 'true' crossdressing story has been fully addressed in America through a wide release film?(Exclude England and any film where crossdressing is really a man in disguise, like 'Tootsie' or 'Mrs. Doubtfire', or any transexual, or drag queen subjects. I'm talking about a 'classic' crossdresser, if there is such a thing. Married, straight, ect...)

B. If such a film were made, what issues would you like to see addressed? (Work issues, problems in marriage, going out for the first time, buying girl stuff, ect.)

C. How much specific detail about crossdressing do you think 'Mainstream America' can handle? (Buying breast forms, going into a woman's public restroom, ect.)

D. Would you rather see a semi-light romantic comedy about crossdressing be on major screens (that deals with the issues of CDing in an 'easy to take' way, that's honest and positive about CDing, yet accessible to the general public -- along the lines of 'To Wong Foo') OR would you rather see a dramatic indie that deeply explored the issue with gritty detail?

Thanks for your thoughts.

S.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

For some reason I thought the reason the wife in 'Just Like a Woman' threw his stuff out the window because when she found an article of woman's clothing that wasn't hers she thought he was cheating.

I could be wrong.

Anyway, I've searched for ages and have never found a well known American film where the lead is a true CD and the story is basically about his struggles AS A CD.

I've also found that nearly no one 'out of the CD loop' knows the difference between a CD, a DQ, and a transexual.

Although not an American movie the British had put out a movie called 'I Want What I Want'. It was taken from the book of the same name. It didn't follow the book 100% and had a few twists in the movie. It was about a CD/TS and the relationship he/she developed between her father, sister and friends. Quite interesting.

Perhaps the closest movie theme

"Bruno" by director Shirley McClaine may be the closest to a true American CD film. Crossdressing's acceptance the community as a whole, a well written soliquiy by an 8 yeard old kid on the concept od "dreasses" on men through the ages.

Very entertaining and insightful as well.

As others have noted, Just Like A Woman is probably the most understanding and respectful portrait of a crossdresser that's been presented in a fairly mainstream movie (I use "fairly mainstream" loosely since it was a "little" film that never received much publicity).

The protagonist is very sympathetic. He's a good guy who just happens to love wearing women's clothes. The relationship with his landlord / girlfriend is handled very well (though perhaps she accepts it all a bit too easily).

The movie does go off track for the last 20 minutes or so. The hostile takeover plot is pretty silly and the climatic scenes are kind of...at the risk of repeating myself, silly. I think the filmmakers had a really cool idea (present a sympathetic portrait of a crossdresser) and didn't know how to end the movie.

Maybe we won't see a mainstream American movie that's mostly about crossdressing, but maybe we can hope for a supporting character who's a crossdresser. I'm thinking how Once And Again presented a very sympathetic view of two teen age girls expressing their romantic feelings for each other. It was very sweet, played straight and very well done. We'll see.

Any producers out there?

Linda
    Linda Marie Daniels

There is a new show coming to FX this fall (maybe) called "Pretty Handsome" that is all about a married with kids, fully closeted CD/TG. There is a 'preair' torrent making the rounds and the show isn't bad.

I've come to suspect all the new shows getting their pilots released early to the internet is being done by the studios to get a free focus group reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by skirting View Post
    There is a new show coming to FX this fall (maybe) called "Pretty Handsome"
    http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...ad.php?t=84881

You kids are just messing with me now, aren't you?
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Unfortunately, it appears to be about a man who is a transsexual and seeks GRS:

Pretty Handsome

Sigh!

Quote Originally Posted by skirting View Post
    There is a new show coming to FX this fall (maybe) called "Pretty Handsome" that is all about a married with kids, fully closeted CD/TG. There is a 'preair' torrent making the rounds and the show isn't bad.

I've come to suspect all the new shows getting their pilots released early to the internet is being done by the studios to get a free focus group reaction.

There is a very good French-made film (subtitled) called "Ma Vie En Rose." It is about a small boy, maybe four or five years old, who prefers dresses, makeup, dolls and so on.

What made this film so lovely was the boy's complete unawareness that what he was doing was wrong, and the devastating effect it had on his family.

When neighbors learn about the boy, his father loses his job and the family is socially ostracized. They have to move to a less exclusive neighborhood. Ultimately, the mother decides to embrace and support her son, and the story takes an interesting turn at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Christinedreamer View Post
    It is very well acted and the protagonist is Adrian Psdar who has mae many appearances in Anmerican films and IMO oneof the best actresses today- Julie waters.

Julie Waters was in "Educating Rita." I loved that film.

In the closet - for now. Shadeauxmarie's Avatar
    Why not Tootsie? I always thought Dustin Hoffman was ugly as a woman. Like me. Was hetero. Like me. Learned to deal with women as a woman. Like me.

Romantic comedy, large release, Best supporting actress.
    May you live long and prosper.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combinations.
    "Smiling makes my face ache." F. N. Furter

Banned Read only
    I would like to see a deep and meaningful film that has mass public appeal and addresses all the issues you evoked.

I'm fed up with seeing romantic comedies and other types of film that make light of crossdressing.

Comedy is fine, but not at the expense of the crossdresser. It is a SERIOUS topic, which merits respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadeauxmarie View Post
    Why not Tootsie? I always thought Dustin Hoffman was ugly as a woman. Like me. Was hetero. Like me. Learned to deal with women as a woman. Like me.

Romantic comedy, large release, Best supporting actress.
    I liked this movie - especially when Hoffman says something to the effect of "I was more of a man as a woman..." The movie does explore a lot of gender roles in all the characters.

But Tootsie, like other movies ("Some Like It Hot") uses the plot-line that the guy doesn't want to crossdress, but has to in order to make a living. He's compromised into doing it.

As I recall (it's been many years) Tootsie had pretty much gotten into character by the end of the movie. Didn't she and the Jessica Lange character get into some banter about sharing clothes at the end?

Another oldtime role was the cross-dressing judge in "NYPD blue".

Billy Crystal's breakout role was as a crossdressing gay lad in "Soap" (If you remember that, you will remember my favorite all-time line - "Mickey Mouse's dog was gay?")

Interesting Idea! How 'bout a really attractive CD who is living two lives? Kindof "Bosom Buddies", but the hero/heroine chooses this life because she wants to?

Or...She doesn't pass, doesn't care, and everybody she encounters learns to like and value her...?

Or a mature empty-nester whose wife supports his dressing and who wears really nice things to work from home? Nah... nobody would believe that could ever happen...

-jj

to me, a 1 1/2 hour to 2 hour movie couldn't possibly squeeze everything in at once. i'd almost rather see a series on logo. a show that has many characters going through different stages of life and showing how each one comes out, and the trials and tribulations of doing so. i just think a film isn't enough space. although i did think transamerica was good, it was more of a transsexual film of someone who's already gone through the transition process. i'd like to see it from beginning to end. think ma vie en rose to start with then eventually growing into transamerica/kinky boots.