Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being READ, the Positive Benefits

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar

Being READ, the Positive Benefits

Ever wonder if you were not read as a crossdresser or transgendered person if the positive experiences that you had would have happened?
    I have often wondered if the extra friendly services I had at stores, restaurants and etc. would have happened if I were not pegged out as a crossdresser. I know that I wouldn't have had the opportunity to meet and chat with Mark McKinney (Kids in the Hall comedian) before their show or had been approached by a friend of the lead actor of a crossdressing themed Fringe Festival play to come join them backstage after the show.
    Would people still come up to me with encouraging and ego boosting remarks like "You Rock", "Wish I had legs like that", "You go Girl", "Love your style" and "You're amazing" if they thought that I was female? Would I get those warming smiles by people passing by?
    More importantly, are back my heels not marked up by child driven shopping carts cause of the extra awareness of my presence ?

I know what you mean, you do sometimes get this sense that they know but are just being realy polite and understanding,which is nice but its "special needs" "ahh its a crossdresser, i wonder if they need any help i'll treat them well"..kind of makes you think "hmmm i'm not passing am i?

I just get stares and dropped jaws.

I don't know about positive benefits as much as positive thinking Chantal, still a cheery thought for someone like me!

There is one GG I pass with but I think her guide dog has me sussed!

Darlene
    Take big bites of life, you only live once!

Woof !

Quote Originally Posted by Darlene Dippy View Post

There is one GG I pass with but I think her guide dog has me sussed!

Darlene
    A little guide dog discrimnation Darlene ?

For me the positive thing about being read is that I don't need to obsess about passing. My concern is doing the absolute best that I can to present with class and grace, hoping those who clock me might think "I see her for what she is, and she pulls it off pretty well". So I don't come unglued if I get clocked, as long as people are not mean about it. And yes, I have received extraordinarily positive service in girl mode which kind of seems like it's based on my being transgendered.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

:) Post-Op Hippie Chick CharleneT's Avatar
    I have had some very positive experiences when out ... due to the owners of the places I was visiting being happy I was there. These were restaurants or bars. Example, I went to a bar to see a band I liked. I was not "passing" that night at all and could tell from the stares etc... But, the bartender bought my drinks, the waitresses were sweeter than pie and the person minding the door gave me a big hug on the way out and told me that if I came back that there would be no cover charge. When I had arrived that night, while standing in line with a bunch of younger GG's, the same bouncer exclaimed, pretty loudly, "my honey you look fabulous tonight". Trust me on this, the GG's looked WAY better.

In many ways I believe that this place and other are happy to see some diversity in their crowd and encourage it. Why ? Not sure, but it has happened quite a few times. Just Saturday night I was out with a friend, both of us transgendered, and the staff was very attentive and thanked us "ladies for coming here tonight". The host told us that 3 times ... so he was most definitely trying to make sure we understood !

Unfortunately we have to balance that with other, less positive, experiences. But my policy is: if they treat me well, I go back and give them my business more. They notice that, especially if you are polite and kind while there.

Charlene

Quote Originally Posted by Julia Anne View Post
    For me the positive thing about being read is that I don't need to obsess about passing. My concern is doing the absolute best that I can to present with class and grace, hoping those who clock me might think "I see her for what she is, and she pulls it off pretty well". So I don't come unglued if I get clocked, as long as people are not mean about it. And yes, I have received extraordinarily positive service in girl mode which kind of seems like it's based on my being transgendered.
    Is a brilliant answer Julia. As soon as I recognised I was not a girl but was transgendered it opened up all the doors and I didn't have to panic. When out dressed I get so many positive experiences and hardly any negative. I like being noticed now because its who I am.
    I strut my stuff, I feel so proud,
    I need to shout, to scream out loud,
    I am Tricia I am she,
    I am who I want to be

http://tricia-dale.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by tricia_uktv View Post
    Is a brilliant answer Julia. As soon as I recognised I was not a girl but was transgendered it opened up all the doors and I didn't have to panic. When out dressed I get so many positive experiences and hardly any negative. I like being noticed now because its who I am.

Amen!!!!!! I'm so glad to see some of you's have similiar outlook as I do.

Down into the Easy Chair SweetCaroline's Avatar
    One of my fondest memories was on New Years Eve. I was sitting at the bar at the hotel I was staying at when a nearby GG just started talking to me just like I was another woman about jewelry of all things. I was wearing a large gold, cross shaped pin and she complemented me on it and asked me questions about it, then started showing off her own jewelry. She was a little tipsy I noticed (it was New Years Eve) so I'm not sure if she realized I was a crossdresser when she first started talking to me. I was by myself at the bar, but several of my T-girl friends were nearby, so there's no way she couldn't have figured it out, but she just kept talking to me like I was just another girl. It was very nice. It really made me feel special.

I've had GGs who have gawked at me and my friends. Giggled when they first saw us or stared at us with "Oh my God" looks on their faces. But just as many have treated me sweetly and noticibly kinder than I would have expected as a man. Others have just gone about their buisness and ignored us. All GGs are different but I think for the most part they enjoy seeing us.
    Caroline Emily
    Co-Moderator
    SISTERS FAMILY

Gardner Chapter
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sisters_of_gardner/
    Worcester Chapter
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sisters_of_worcester/

Family is the most important thing in the World.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    For me, for the most part, I've found that it depends.

Sometimes people seeming treat me no differently to any other customer, and sometimes they do definitely treat me nicer and smile a lot more. Either way, I've never had a negative reaction yet.

I do agree with you though, there are certain places where they seemingly totally love you. Our local Dress Barn, and Gottshalks stores are two places in particular that stand out for me and the rest of our CDing friends in our local support group.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Passing not apssing isn't critical since I go out...the important thing for me is to look the best I can and feel as much woman in me as I can...if I reach that level/point I'm one happy girl!!!!

I've never kidded myself that I pass as anything other than a transwoman - but because of that, I've often found people more often than not positive and encouraging?

Your willingness to get out and be yourself deserves respect - and, IME, you are often given it?
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]

Banned Read only

A Very Good Point

This is something that I ask myself time to time, when I am out on the town I get a GG come up to me and tells me how nice I look or ask about something that I am wearing, do they think I am a woman or do they know I am a cross dresser.

As a cross dresser you can get read but still look good and get a positive reaction and what they are saying is you look and dress very good, also as a cross dresser you can get a positive reaction because you look and dress very good and people see you and talk to you because they think you are a real woman, in other words you pass.

LA CINDY LOVE

Amazing Member
    At least if you get read and want to pass, it tells you that yoiu have not got it right. No one is as honest about it as a hostile or smirking stranger.

Hi Chanal. Nice to see you here. I think we have a mutual friend!

I have no illusions about passing, so there is no question I am a crossdresser when out. I think some people recognize the courage it takes and offer their support through extra kindness. And they may be trying to compensate for others in the room who are gawking. A crossdresser is a novelty in most situations. You are probably seen as an exotic beauty!

Karezza~

Unexpected Woman Empress Lainie's Avatar
    [SIZE=4]The only passing I worry about any more is passing for 42 instead of 73.

I feel very bad when Cyndy is read and someone says something to her or calls her SIR. It has happened less since I got her the camisole and breast forms.

The place I go where all the employees know I am trans because I was there for 7 years before as a man, is one where both of us are treated like royalty. We both have some very good friends there that know we are trans. We talk to them about our jewelry, and our health and they are always concerned. Two of the girls there I tried to date before my change. They are completely supportive and are good friends to both of us.
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Ascended Ancient[/SIZE]

may I ask to limit the usage of the term "pass"/"passing" in this thread...... the term always becomes the main focus and hijacks discussions amongst the crossdressing community

Blushing June '07 Bride Sheri 4242's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Morley View Post
    For me, for the most part, I've found that it depends.

Sometimes people seeming treat me no differently to any other customer, and sometimes they do definitely treat me nicer and smile a lot more. Either way, I've never had a negative reaction yet.

I do agree with you though, there are certain places where they seemingly totally love you. Our local Dress Barn, and Gottshalks stores are two places in particular that stand out for me and the rest of our CDing friends in our local support group.
    Other than when my wife and I did a marriage ceremony out in Vegas with me as the bride, the very best experience I ever had out in public was at a retail store in a mall. I was not en femme, but had a sales girl offer to help me. I was in a comical mood and plainly told her the skirt I had picked out was, indeed, for me. For the next hour the SA couldn't do enough to assist me! It was great service -- very memorable!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicki B View Post
    I've never kidded myself that I pass as anything other than a transwoman - but because of that, I've often found people more often than not positive and encouraging?

Your willingness to get out and be yourself deserves respect - and, IME, you are often given it?
    Great observation -- and very true!!!
    [SIZE="4"]Sheri[/SIZE]

I see your point, Chantal .... sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by karezza View Post
    I see your point, Chantal .... sorry.
    just that the term is used as a judgement and could not usually be proven

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Chantal View Post
    may I ask to limit the usage of the term "pass"/"passing" in this thread...... the term always becomes the main focus and hijacks discussions amongst the crossdressing community
    But isn't "being read" by definition "not passing" (if that is one's goal)? And please don't take this the wrong way, I hate the term "passable" as I have made it known before. It just seems that if a girl is read, she either didn't pass when she was trying to or perhaps didn't care to pass in the first place and she got what she expected.

I think your other comment is right on target. Let's say one of us goes out and is treated as any other woman out there, no laughs, no comments. There's no way one can state with any certainty that you were not read. Maybe you were totally and no one said a word.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

:) Post-Op Hippie Chick CharleneT's Avatar
    I think your other comment is right on target. Let's say one of us goes out and is treated as any other woman out there, no laughs, no comments. There's no way one can state with any certainty that you were not read. Maybe you were totally and no one said a word.
    I think this is very common, I believe that I present well, but also think many can read me. BUT when they just treat me well, I am very happy, that is all I want !!

C.

But isn't "being read" by definition "not passing" (if that is one's goal)? And please don't take this the wrong way, I hate the term "passable" as I have made it known before. It just seems that if a girl is read, she either didn't pass when she was trying to or perhaps didn't care to pass in the first place and she got what she expected.

in my opinion, "being read" means to be interpreted as a crossdresser or transgendered whether you are dressed in your feminine mode or masculine mode.

How about: and a fledgling blog entry:

Tricia’s sexy red dress made its debut the previous night. Leaving Tina asleep (she was eventually to wake up), it made a mistake crossing the road at eleven o’clock. The lights changed to green when it was half way across forcing it to walk down the middle of the street. Cars on both sides were beeping their horns furiously. Tricia realised that they were not beeping their horns because she looked like a man; with her slinky red dress and fishnet stockings in the middle of the night, they were beeping their horns because she looked like a prostitute. Tricia loved the attention and wiggled more provocatively, if that was at all possible.

But I do now love being read and am, often! Its fun
    I strut my stuff, I feel so proud,
    I need to shout, to scream out loud,
    I am Tricia I am she,
    I am who I want to be

http://tricia-dale.blogspot.com/