Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a problem

Question I have a problem

I recently purchased a beautiful gown. I just love it. It's a real snug fit but it does fit. There is a long sipper up the back. Now I know the tricks about putting a thread through the zipper to get it up (so to speak), but this zipper does not have the little hole to put the tread through. It is kind of an arrow shape. Now I got the zipper part way up but didn't dare go any farther cause I strongly suspected that I wouldn't be able to get it back down. Now this might seem like an innocuous delema for most of you, but when you are a widower, living alone and not out to your family, this could present a real problem. What to do?????

So, I appeal to all the SO's out there. Normally you have a good looking guy to pull the zip up and then pull it back down at the end of a perfect evening.
    What would you do if presented by a similar situation?

I really love this gown and would like to get al gussied up. Please help! And no, I won't go out and solicite the help of a passing cab driver!!!!!

Ingredient: 100% Attitude DemonicDaughter's Avatar

Tongs....

Sounds silly but I use either tongs (the small kind) or clamps (like surgical ones).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [SIZE="3"]"We're all born naked. Everything we wear is drag," said Boy George
    [/SIZE]

Kimberly,how about some locking forceps attached to the zipper or you could purchase miniature locking needle nose vise grips.You could always drill your own whole through the zipper with a Dremmel tool and miniature drill bit then run fishing line through it(enough to grab hold of) and leave it on.Just tuck it inside the dress so it won't be exposed.

Oh sure. Maybe I could get a job at the Kenedy Space Center!!!! What I need is an easy solution to the problem. I don't have all these fancy tools. PLEASE!!!

You could probably bend a paper clip to fit around the zipper tab, tie the paper clip to a cord and you've got it.
    "I Used to Have a Handle on Life, But It Broke"

I know this might sound like a typical male solution to the problem but hey here goes. Why not drill a small hole through the zipper.

Vanessa

You can ask your neighbor to come over and zip you up. He'll like that!

Seriously, try to put some monofilament line through the hole where the tab attaches to the rest of the zipper. Not sure if it will work, but worth a try.

Peace and love, Joanie

I was trying to give you a permanent solution.You don't have to be an engineer to get a hole through a simple aluminum zipper and the tools needed are not elaborate or expensive.You can do it with a finishing nail and a hammer also.

Try a wire "coat" hanger, just straighten it out but leave the hook untouched. It will work both ways-on and off.

Silver Member
    The best solutuon to this is to drill a small hole in the zipper pull. If you do not have an electric drill and can't borrow one go to a hardware store and buy a small c-clamp. Attach the c-clamp to the zipper pull and run a piece of string through the c-clamp to pull with. The c-clamp should be easy to take off but will be harder to put back on if you need the string to pull the zipper back down.

These are all great solutions which will work in a pinch (ouch!) If you want to get into that gown badly you'll find a way

...... so I go into a bar and sitting there is this hot honey in a tight black dress ......intrigued as I was.. I approached and spoke to her
    "so how does one get into a dress that tight?"
    she answered "well you can start by buying me a drink!"

Ok I'm in a silly mood .......must be these UFO'S.....Lacie

Ha ha, great thread! How about taking the gown back to the shop, and exchanging it for one that does fit?
    I strut my stuff, I feel so proud,
    I need to shout, to scream out loud,
    I am Tricia I am she,
    I am who I want to be

http://tricia-dale.blogspot.com/

Hemostats
    Be Yourself, Everybody else has been Taken......Oscar Wilde

I go to the beat of a different drummer

Susan Michelle

too complicated

Wow... I've nveer heard such complicated answers to such a simple question. What I do, what I've always done... put the dress on backwards... zip up and twist around. Genrally you want to twist the fabric around at you most narrow so as not rip anything.
    [SIZE="2"]Katherine[/SIZE]

It usually works for me if i push the zip up as far as i can from the back and then lift the dress up from the shoulders until you can reach the zip from the top , the do it in revers to get it off .

joanne

Hi Kimberly

I think a paper clip or monofilament line are the best solutions try them on the dress before you put it on to make sure they are strong enough

Just a thought
    changing dress size is not always the best option and some dresses you cant turn when zipped up
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine Bell View Post
    Wow... I've nveer heard such complicated answers to such a simple question. What I do, what I've always done... put the dress on backwards... zip up and twist around. Genrally you want to twist the fabric around at you most narrow so as not rip anything.
    Now Katherine! What if the dress has sleaves. Folks wouldn't know whether I was coming or going.

Perhaps a pair of vice-grips? Just a thought.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Quote Originally Posted by TGMarla View Post
    Yup! Maybe a real big pair. Then the zipper would pull itself down. Maybe some duck tape would help?

The zipper cannot be drilled. It's one of those oblong jobbies. Lord! What's a hemostat? Last time I was in surgery, I was a little too drugged out to ask!!!

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    i guess it should be a simple problem. But i have found myself in a predicament when i was trying on some of my wife's things when i shouldn't have been. (I'm going to hear it from the GGs here on that one) Well of course the zipper sticks and I'm in a panic, at this point sweating profusely and worried that if i do manage to get it off i will damage the garment.

Finally after much finagling i manage to free myself (may have dislocated my shoulder jk). I think it was like 45 min till i actually got it off. But I have learned my lesson! No more trying on my wife's stuff!

Zipper Help

Kimberely,

I might actually be able to suggest a solution to the problem which might work on a more permanent basis. Most of the sippers that I have seen in the past of some kind of space between the pull tab and the actual zipper to allow the tab to rotate in order to be used. You should be able to slip some type of pull extension through that hole and use it to zip and unzip the dress. I would suggest a very strong type of fishing line or decorative wire that you can put some type of beads or crystals on to make the pull extension look like it is suppose to be there. That should take care of the problem for good.

You should be able to find something like what I am talking about at a craft store that sells supplies for hand made jewelry. You might even be able to find something at the local wal-mart if yours has a decent craft section.

let me know if this helps. if it doesn't I can always call my mom and ask her for a suggestion on solving the problem.

Anna

p.s. My mom is a seamstress that is why I know so much about zippers.
    [SIZE=5]Be who you are not who others think you should be.
    May the Great Spirit Bless you in all things.[SIZE=2]
    My website: [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5][SIZE=2]http://360.yahoo.com/mrsanna_25
    [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5][SIZE=2] The Be-All Website: http://www.be-all.org/
    The National Center for Transgender Equality http://www.nctequality.org/
    [/SIZE]

[/SIZE]

Kimberely,
    I know and understand the problem as I just purchase a skirt with this type of zipper. Now we can get it on and up but if that little link between the zipper and the pull tab breaks honey you are stuck in a gown until someone comes to you aid. Sorry I can't help your more,

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine Bell View Post
    I think you just did a "Gotcha," on the rest of us. My First Wife always put on her bra's that way....should have remembered it.

Oh well, hopefully we are capable of learning! Your solution would be the easiest, IF THAT DRESS AIN'T TOO TIGHT!

Peace and Love, Joanie

Ingredient: 100% Attitude DemonicDaughter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberely416 View Post
    Oh sure. Maybe I could get a job at the Kenedy Space Center!!!! What I need is an easy solution to the problem. I don't have all these fancy tools. PLEASE!!!
    You know, pliers work and these tools are easily purchased in any pharmacy.

Quote Originally Posted by TGMarla View Post
    That's what I was thinking but apparently...

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberely416 View Post
    Yup! Maybe a real big pair. Then the zipper would pull itself down. Maybe some duck tape would help?

The zipper cannot be drilled. It's one of those oblong jobbies. Lord! What's a hemostat? Last time I was in surgery, I was a little too drugged out to ask!!!
    If you want to go the duct tape route, then just tape a wire to the end of the zipper and pull.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [SIZE="3"]"We're all born naked. Everything we wear is drag," said Boy George
    [/SIZE]

Banned Read only
    If the zipper has an arrow head, I'm assuming that the head has enough width to tie a piece of string around it, and pull it up. Of course, you don't want to contend with having to cut a knot once you've pulled the zip up to your neck, so the secret is to tie a "hangman's knot" in the thread. In this way, you can simply loosen the knot once you're zipped.