Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you hate the "Gay" Label?

As far as i am concerned Gay people are like most Cds in the respect that they go about their own business not harming anyone else yet get picked on for doing that , i have been called gay many times and it just doe`s not bother me as i know the one`s that call you names are just plain ignorant and stupid so why both as to that they are saying, their opinions mean absolutely nothing to me as they are born out of hate ,fear and ignorance.

joanne

Quote Originally Posted by Bev06 GG View Post

BTW I AM NOT GAAAAAAYYYY tee hee
    No, Bev, you have to hold a Press Conference & have your partner standing behind you trying not to roll their eyes. If anyone asks probing questions, you just respond that you have "a wide stance"
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

lables

yes im in a same sex relationship,...
    an if i were to be called a name with out a smile an a wink,..
    i do get cranky an have been agressive be for,...
    lables are for those that need to be confermed by others
    love n let love,.... an it is just fab to be in love

Banned Read only
    Much rather be called or thought of as gay than a self-absorbed, self-righteous a$$hole!

Gay or not, if I'm liked and appreciated and thought of as responsible, reliable person, then I'm happy...

Quote Originally Posted by deja true View Post
    Much rather be called or thought of as gay than a self-absorbed, self-righteous a$$hole!

Gay or not, if I'm liked and appreciated and thought of as responsible, reliable person, then I'm happy...
    same here . also it's better to say i am gay than take 10 minutes to explain who i am and how i feel ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

meh, i find it hilarious watching ignorant but well meaning people shifting around and being careful because they think i'm gay. saying things like "no offense of course" at the end of a misinformed generalisation but definitely looking me when they say that. i think they leave thinking i'm "at least bisexual", which is a pretty funny statement as it is, also because i would probably def enjoy that. shame really, i've got one eye closed, keep bumping into things lol, as much as i'd love to i just can't get the damn thing open!
    but its silly to hope people won't make that assumption about you if you're wearing make-up and being girly, the whole feminisation of men has been a part of 'gay suffrage' as it were. not to mention drag-queenism (if that can be an ism) just correct them if they're wrong, explain yourself if you can, change a few ideas here and there; we'll get the same sexual revolution that the gay community went (and arguably is still going) through, viva! x

Silver Member
    I'm bisexual so it doen't bother Me
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

I would dislike this label very much, because I'm not gay. I would find being called a Christian just as disagreable, because I'm not Christian either. I think it makes sense to be annoyed (hate is too strong a word) at being characterized in a way that is very different than who you are at a fundamental level.
    Alex Forbes
    Faux Femme
    Flickr Page

Some are pretty quick to judge folks who go anywhere near the hate or dislike label as homophobes.

Think about it this way:

If you had a college degree in, say, business administration, and everyone kept saying you had an accounting degree. Would you dislike it? Yes. Would it be an insult? No.

I don't view it as an insult to be called gay, but I dislike it when people get their facts wrong. Nothing wrong with that.
    -Sedona

I guess you'll have to constantly "come out" as hetero when people assume otherwise - just like many gay people have to come out because people automatically assume they're straight.

As for me, I'd rather be called a fag than a dyke because then at least they'd be seeing me as a man. Hasn't happened yet, though. People still think I'm a lesbian . . . including my family, I was recently informed.
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ivy
    As far as the public masses generalizing that all CD's are gay, I hate it, much in the same way people generalize about gay people. If they ask me personally, I may or may not take offense to it. When they come on with an attitude, I want to ask them, "How much do you weigh?" or "Can I see your DMV photo?"

What I don't like is the know it all who use the word and show everyone how stupid they are. And Kate why do you hate being called Gay you make it sound dirty. By saying you hate to be called gay to my it put you down to there level. I know some very nice gay people they don't judge others except for there stupid thoughts.
    Angie
    Last edited by Angie G; 07-31-2008 at 10:14 AM.

Sometimes I take offence and sometimes not. Soemtimes as whole the world does need to suck it up alittle. On a day to day basis I am most likely called something I agree with or not. If I'm in a nasty mood I will take it poorly but on many days it's a whatever kinda thing.
    Labels can be a simple descripter or they can meant to hurt. My wife has called me gay and I've taken great offence to it. Words can hurt sometimes. But Sometimes they hurt because they are truthful. Like a lot of people here I've struggled with the "BI" issues as well as things in my childhood that have messed me up beyond belief.

So I guess try to take the word as it was meant.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[SIZE="3"]And I was thinkin' how the world shoulda cried
    On the day Jack Kirby died
    [/SIZE]

When all said and done it's just a label. People will think what they think and there isn't a whole lot you can do about that.

As a straight guy, I have had to deal with questions or name calling, but can you do about the uneducated views of some?

The gay label doesn't bother me too much as it doesn't affect my life.
    I have some terrific gay friends of both sexes and we all tend to mix freely in one another's circles.
    I'm at ease with any label as my nearest and dearest know the truth and that's what counts.

Silver Member
    The label of gay does not bother me. Actually it is more sensitive to the feelings of those that are gay than the words fag or queer. I have been asked by only one person if I was gay and that was my ex-wife. I confided in her that I was a cd and she assumed I was gay out of her ignorance of the subject. There was an instance where two guys in a passing vehicle insulted me as I was on a sidewalk. They called me every derogatory word in the book because they made me as a cd. This incident scared me more than anything. Again this was the result of their ignorance of the subject of cd. I think that there should be classes on human sexuality and gender issues that cover cd taught in high school. The vast majority of people are so ignorant of these things and that is a sad thing for us.

I should hate it, but since there is nothing wrong with being gay, I don't hate it.

The reason I should hate it is because when I told my wife I was a transvestite (crossdresser wasn't a term in use back then) she looked it up in the dictionary. She was fine with my dressing up, until she read the definition that equated it with being homosexual.

Heck, there are many who think being gay is a step up from being a tranny.

What I hate is the ignorance that some people, who refuse to educate themselves, show.
    DonnaT

My family, friends, and most of my associates know whether I am gay or not. I don't give a fig what strangers think.
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    Marilyn Monroe

Not just a pig-n-lipstick
    I only hate the gay label because it soooo doesn't completely describe me. I am far more then just gay or straight... I can be sad or crooked sometimes too :P

Interestingly enough if your workplace fired you for being a gay transvestite you could sue for discrimination but not so if you are a stright crossdresser. So if I did get into an issue with work because of my CDing then I'll claim GAY all day long... Get all drag queened up and act FLAM'N! at least until the settlement check cleared! hahahaha....

i find it degrading that just because im a crossdresser, people assume im probably straight.

Quote Originally Posted by tvbeckytv View Post
    i find it degrading that just because im a crossdresser, people assume im probably straight.
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Err, I'm bi - so if people said I was gay I would understand. No, doesn't bother me at all.
    I strut my stuff, I feel so proud,
    I need to shout, to scream out loud,
    I am Tricia I am she,
    I am who I want to be

http://tricia-dale.blogspot.com/

Banned Read only
    Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.

If you're not gay, then why do you care about it? In fact, if you were gay, why would you care about it?

I think you're letting yourself get emotionally injured for no reason.

If you think about it it`s a bit ironic that men dressing up as women, acting like women and wanting to be a woman, and chatting to other men doing the same are concerned about being called gay .

joanne

It's not that being gay is a bad thing, I just hate that people jump to conclusions and think that I am just because I CD.

"The lady doth protest too much"