Thread: Earthquake

Earthquake

We had an earthquake in the L.A. area the other day. As it turns out, I had my makeup and nails done, and had returned from a shopping trip to the salon to change back into my regular clothes. While I was in the process of changing -- I was actually naked at the time -- the quake hit. The women in the salon got very upset and they all ran outside. I was in the Facial Room in the back, and couldn't leave in my state of undress, so I just stayed there, hoping the roof did not collapse, etc. After about 30 sec, it ended and I finished getting dressed. It could have been most embarrassing if something had gone awry, but luckily I got dressed and left the salon.

So Terri CDing makes the earth move for you!

I'm so glad that it was relatively minor as Californian Quakes go, but frightening never the less.

Darlene
    Take big bites of life, you only live once!

Silver Member
    That was a close call Terri. I can imagine how embarrasing it would be to have to run out into the street naked except for makeup.

I was listening to the radio and a girl called into the station and said she works at a lingerie store. When the earth quake hit, a lady in the fitting room freaked out and ran out in her bra and panties.

I'm lucky I was home doing stuff and not at a store trying on clothes. I'm glad you are safe though Terri

I am glad to hear you are alright! but if the building did start to collapse around you would you still have chosen to ride out the quake in the building?

Omg..thats a wild story...gald you are ok sweetie.

I'll just stay in N.Y, thank you.
    Angie

Wow, now that was close. I don't know what I would have don if I were in your pumps!

At least you wouldn't have wet your knickers
    Carole

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum posts both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal action.

Aspiring Member
    I have often wondered what is feels like to actually be in an earthquake. And have actually at times longed to be able to experience one ( sick I know right).

It's just that I consider Mother Nature and her ways to be beautiful, even if at times deadly(lightning, tornados, tsunamis and the sort). All of that is wondrous to me. And if I was 'en femme' at the time that in itself would make it all the more thrilling, afterall (or, er, underalls) my fave times to dress are during a good good thunderstorm.

Can you describe to me what going thru the quaking is like? Or do you just have to be there?

Earthquakes are like being on the ocean even though you know it is dry land. There is a sway to them like waves. That's of course for the bigger ones. The smaller ones are just like a jolt to everything around you. Usually its only a matter of seconds until it is all over except the recovery.

Yeah I lived in Earthquake country for decades and I wouldn't trade it for Hurricanes like in the Southeast, or 10 ft of snow in the winter like in the North.

Experts keep promising the "big one" is just around the corner now for thirty years.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

Earthquakes

I live 70 miles from the epicenter of the quake. I was still all comfy in my peignoir (previous thread) when it hit. I have been through several and this was the most gentle.

This one felt as if you were on a waterbed and someone jumped on the other side. Trees were swaying as well as lamposts. Not too much but still easily visible.

The worst one I was in was in Whittier in '80 something. We lost 15,000 gallons of water from the pool in one big wave.

I told my neighbor that if the big one hits and my house collapses that when the rescue guys get here, its me inside that gorgeous nightgown. kinda gave her a bit of a chuckle.

BTW the old adage of standing in a doorway is now wrong; the door may swing shut on you hands and that's if you can get to your feet to walk to a doorway! Also do not get under a table, get down BESIDE the table so it can help support any debris that may fall and that way the debris will not trap you under the table. Its what we here in SoCal call an E ticket ride. (from the best rides at Disneyland)

C'mon down to Socal amd enjoy the ride!!

Christine

I happened to be working from home at the time of the earthquake and my first reaction was get down by the bed in the office. Then as it kept going, thought "should I get out?". Kinda turned down that thought because I knew my neighbors were outthere as well and didn't want to give them a second shock.

Luckly it wasn't bad and the only clean up that I had to do was straighten some pictures.

Omigosh Terri, a scary moment! Something that is going to be a funny story in the future I'll bet.

My reaction to the quake

As I was changing, the room started to sway. Then it moved sharply and suddenly. I just stood there a while, realizing what was happening. After about 10 sec, the room stopped rolling, and everything was OK. When I left the salon 10 min later, Jenny, the woman who did my makeup and nails, just said goodbye and told me to call her again for another appointment. I wonder what the other clients thought when a man emerged from the Facial Room after a woman had gone in earlier. I didn't stick around to see their reactions; I was just glad to be OK.