Thread: Gender Identity added to Employee Handbook

Gender Identity added to Employee Handbook

I own a small business in California and we have just had our labor attorney update our employee handbook. Gender identity was added to the equal employement opportunity policy as well as policy against harassment as standard policies by the attorney (not from my input). I thought that was pretty cool. Here is a portion of the policy:

The company strictly prohibits all forms of unlawful harassment, which includes harassment on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, GENDER IDENTITY, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, .....

Lisa

Well, it's about time. Congratulations!
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    Marilyn Monroe

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Lisa, I wonder---

as a SoCal-ite, what does that really mean? Could a CD go to work dressed, and no matter how rediculous he looked, no one can say anything?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

That's good news, but does this mean you can't fire yourself.
    Angie

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa X View Post
    I own a small business in California and we have just had our labor attorney update our employee handbook. Gender identity was added to the equal employement opportunity policy as well as policy against harassment as standard policies by the attorney (not from my input). I thought that was pretty cool. Here is a portion of the policy:

The company strictly prohibits all forms of unlawful harassment, which includes harassment on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, GENDER IDENTITY, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, .....

Lisa
    I wish our government would adopt that policy for it's agencies,especially the veterans administration.
    Drink up me heartys,yo ho!

Kate

Quote Originally Posted by Katie B View Post
    Bravo Lisa (and Lisa's lawyer)!

No, it doesn't mean that a CD could go to work looking ridiculous because:
    a) No CD would want to, and
    b) There is the company's image to think of, so Lisa can insist on a clean skirt and no holes in the stockings.
    a) You might not have seen any of the CDs that dress for shock value only.

b) They would have to adhere to the company dress code regardless of dressing in drab or drag.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie B View Post
    But seriously, it's only the really committed ones who are going to dare try, like the black people who first challenged the segregated buses, and remember the rules of good behaviour they imposed on themselves?

Now, Lisa, are you going to be the first to demonstrate it ? Good luck!

Katie B
    Define committed for me please. Is someone who dresses only on weekends not committed? Is someone who dresses up for an hour a week because that's the extent of time allowed because their SO does not know not committed? Personally, I would love the opportunity to come to work dressed en femme once in a while and not have anyone say anything about my outfits besides complimenting me. It would give me a reason to wear those great business suits I have purchased over the years for Kandis. While I do not live 24/7 as a woman, I sure enjoy dressing like one when I get the opportunity to do so, and this would be the grandest opportunity of them all.

Kandis
    Someone once told me "Put on Your big girl panties and deal with it". If they only knew, I WAS ALREADY WEARING THEM.

I wear the bras and panties so my wife doesn't have to.

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.

That is wonderful Lisa! Now if only more comanies and States will follow!

Eileen

Semi Sane innocent angel
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa X View Post

Lisa
    Well the klaw has been there for two years, but now employers are taking notice. I'm in the bay and now when ever I hear radio ads for clear Chanel communications and they say were are a EEOC employer , they do and transgendered to the list .
    Business is the the art of extracting money from another mans wallet with out resorting to violence

9 out of 10 Dr say I'm sane. The 10th one never made it to the hearing. Did you know that California has drop bears ?

First a groom then a bride. Never again.

Once a Girl,always a Girl Dita_B's Avatar
    New Westminster, a city within the city of Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by KandisTX View Post
    b) They would have to adhere to the company dress code regardless of dressing in drab or drag.

Kandis
    I second the remark quoted above.

I have applied for two jobs as a female sales associate in several ladies fashion stores in town and was rejected on the argument of dress code... An "extreme" dress code, as they called it, it being prohibited for a girl to appear in male clothing and vice versa.

In both cases it were both the store manager and assistant managers that wanted me on their staff and thought it would be a good idea, especially in regards to the young generation of female clients, but it was the regional management that rejected it.
    (Although they never met me in person).

Another argument was that they feared it could upset the older generation of clients, who may not appreciate being assisted by a Transgendered female.

Dita.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Mistakes don't exist, there are only steps on the way to perfection...

That's awesome Lisa, especially that you put GENDER IDENTITY in all caps in your employee handbook. Now THAT'S emphasis!!!

But seriously, most companies who profess to have such protections can still terminate someone for pretty much any reason they feel like using. That is why the stories of those who choose to transition are often littered with job loss and financial ruin. Still, I hope steps such as what Lisa was willing to take will help us in the long run.

BTW, can I have a job???
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Thumbs up Some companies are WAAAY ahead in the fight

The MCC church I attend in SoCal has a great member in our ranks. He works for Verizon as a traveling training instructor and frequently hobnobs with the corporate big boys.

Verizon has a full time commissionof several people in HR dealing with sexual ID , gender ID etc issues. In addition, they actually contribute heavily to our church by paying our member for his services to the church. Lots of companies do that now.

It is nice to know that some companies actually understand that we are not all cookie cutter personalities and we can perform our duties even though in the eyes of SOME in society we are avoided like the plague.

Maybe there is hope yet.

Christine

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    as a SoCal-ite, what does that really mean? Could a CD go to work dressed, and no matter how ridiculous he looked, no one can say anything?
    There is a project group TAW (Transgender At Work) and website specifically devoted to this issue. See the page that covers Crossdressing at Work
    Carin

I have gone on a journey in search if myself. If you find me before I return, please hold on to me until I get back.
    Telling our Children