Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Outted by a hotel

OMG!! Please, at some point, let us all know which chain this is so that they never again receive any of our business!

The Keycards to rooms

I want to post my 0.02 on this since I'm am a maintenance engineer at a hotel. Once a key has been made, the only other keys that will open the door are maintenance keys, housekeeping, and emergency keys (e-keys) Yes, the computers at the front desk are connected with the key machine and if you go to make a new key to an occupied room thinking it's unoccupied, a message pops up saying that the room is rented and did you really want to make a new key. You can also make copies of the key as well. The copied keys don't interfere with the original one. Also, if you have your deadbolt on, the ONLY key that will open the door is the e-key. Those are usually kept in a secure location and you usually have to sign them out when using them. And if you are having to use them, then alot of people know you are needing to get in that room. One thing I would ask them to do if they haven't yet would be to interrogate the room lock. Any hotel that uses key cards can do this so don't let them say they can't. It will tell you which key opened the door, whether it was a housekeeping card/maintenance/etc, what time, and date. You can interrogate a lock 3 months (90 days)into the past. But from what I read, this was most likely either a front desk or hk mistake. My guess would be a nosy housekeeper that saw a man's name on the reg log and saw womans clothing in the room and assumed you had left and somebody else was checked in. This happens more then you think BUT the usual thing to do in that case would be to inhibit the lock until the situation is resolved. We actually had a sting happen here to try and catch somebody, but that's another story. Good luck and please let us know what the outcome is.
    Never meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste great dipped in chocolate and covered with sprinkles

I'm a RED member

Thanks for the all the replies.

I just want to wait to post the name of the chain until I get a resolution, or don't.

If you want the name of the chain, please PM me...I will give it out that way until tomorrow when I can speak with someone there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

On an off topic, I will throw this out there...

Marriott lost my business for life a while back because my entire wedding party, and almost 50 of our guests booked rooms at their hotel near our reception site for our wedding. They offerred to comp us the Honeymoon Suite since we were providing so much business to the hotel. The reception was over, and we took the limo to the hotel, only to find that they had extended the stay of the person that was in the suite, and had no room for us...on our wedding night!!

I bitched and bitched. But they did nothing for us. We ended up taking a cab home. Luckily the wedding was local. My wife was incredibly disappointed, and so was I.

The next day, I called their customer service number, and I was offered a free night at the same hotel.

Now what would I want a free night at a hotel that was only miles from my house??! They said this was all that they could do. I had some choice words for them, needless to say.

I will never stay at a Marriott property ever again if I can help it. So you know the chain in question is not Marriott. (there is a hint in the above story though)
    “Truth Hits Everybody"

Crossdressing Curmudgeon TommiTN's Avatar
    AHA!! Yes, I've stayed at those hotels in the past, but no more! Thx for the hint!
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

OMG! That sucks! Maybe this could be a Dateling NBC investigation?

Smile As Allison and I both suggested

This whole thing was a simple yet possibly devastaing mistake on the part of Housekeeping, but it was just that - a mistake. Let's not get everyone's panties in a twist.

Just think about it folks, if you went into a room after checking in and saw someone else's clothes there what would you do? Drop your bags in the room and and go to dinner or march right back to the front desk with your bags to complain and get it straightened out?

As I suggested, Housekeeping probaby saw women's clothes in a room with one man listed as the registered occupant. I suppose the hotel considered two possiblities; the first a double booking by accident. The second, that a man checked in under a single person's rate and then snuck in a woman (3 dimensional as opposed to suitcase- contained). It happens all the time.

In that case the management would be within their rights as an inkeeper to check it out. Granted the methodology used was not the wisest but you also must consider their room rental policies. (to which you agreed in the signed room contract)

In either case a closeted or semi-private CD would /should think twice about making such a big stink.

Politely but firmly insist on an explanation and apology and suggest that a perk of some sort was in order. Most hotels would gladly comp you in some way as opposed to having bad publicity. But if you opt for bad publicity, remember that YOU may well be a target of that same bad publicity.

Now if your items were rifled or there was missing or damaged property, that is an entirely different matter.

Finally, in the scheme of things, if there is no loss or damage, is it worth getting so riled up? People make mistakes- always have and always will.

These message boards are full of stories about "us" making mistakes and getting caught, telling someone who outed us etc. Do we therefore impose self penitence?

Life is too short to get so worked up over little things.

Remember that sweat makes make-up run and it doesn't smell as nice as perfume.

OK I'm off my soap box now.

love to all,
    Christine

As far as card keys not being duplicate......I know of several cases where people got their room number wrong and used their key on a nearby room, it worked!! When they noticed the clothing hung they left immediately! These are electronics systems run by humans. Neither is infallible. Having worked on computerized systems for years I can say that they are only as dependable as the engineers that designed them. When I'm going to be in the room for any length of time I put the "deadbolt" system on for added security.
    Sally

I hope you can resolve this to your satisfaction. Did you get the manager's business card or at least his/her name? I'm pretty sure that corporate would like a nail to hang this one on.
    Please name the hotel chain and the particular hotel. If this is the way they treat guests, I doubt that anyone here would care to patronise them.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Blushing June '07 Bride Sheri 4242's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen_Ski View Post
    I have traveled for over 20 years for work as well as vacations and I have never heard of a hotel just arbitrarily changing a person's room. Outed or not I would have been outraged and probably on the phone to my lawyer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea M. Forbes View Post
    What a horrible story. I sincerely hope your call results in action.

It is for this reason that I do not travel with Andrea's junk. I would be simply mortified by any exposure of my secret, even to strangers (hotel, TSA, etc.).
    Quote Originally Posted by TxKimberly View Post
    Oh my God! I travel all of the time and would have completly freaking hit the roof! What hotel chain was this?
    Inexcusable!!! While I stay almost exclusively at Marriott for some of the reasons stated for not staying at one property or another (and I stay 100-plus nights a year), there is NO excuse for what you have experienced! Keep us posted on how it is resolved! (if you PM where this was, let me know.)

Good luck -- and let us know if/how any of us can assist you!!!

Sheri
    [SIZE="4"]Sheri[/SIZE]

Gold Member
    That is why I don't go to great lengths to hide the fact that I am CD. People love to out us. Sure I sometimes get a little embarrased when I get read but ultimately I could care less. It is the same temporary embarrasement a person gets when they hit their head or trip. Embarrasing but stand up and dust yourself off and go about your life...

Now for the hotel that did this, if that is the worst thing that has ever happened while lodging, that ain't too bad.

My worst experiences usually invole needing something for the room and not being able to find an English speaking housekeeper to ask for it. And this is in the USA.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

I was once in a hotel room at about 11 pm and the room next door had the TV turned up VERY loud. I tried calling the room next door, tried banging on the door. Clearly there was no one there, they just left the TV on loud while they were gone.

I asked the manager to go in a turn it down. They refused. Why? because it's ILLEGAL for them to go in there without the guest's permission unless it's an emergency.

I guess me not sleeping is not an emergency. But anyway it's not OK for them to go in there without your permission.

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnneEvers View Post

I asked the manager to go in a turn it down. They refused. Why? because it's ILLEGAL for them to go in there without the guest's permission unless it's an emergency.
    I'm sorry but no it isn't illegal. If a complaint is made, then management does have the right to go into a room. I've had to do this many times at my hotel
    Never meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste great dipped in chocolate and covered with sprinkles

I'm a RED member

Satin, the good thing about this is that you were outed in some respects and survived... phew. The sad thing is that some were giggling but let em....
    As for the hotel, you should probably be able to get some compensation, a free room or two plus meals based on the inconvenience.

I am suprised the person who was in your room stayed... you never know they might have been trying on your dresses, just when the manager called!! (I would have... he he...and then left my email letting you know.)
    and thats why the manager was a little flustered!!

PS if you've ever seen Karens makeup kit scattered about a bathroom, it might be an example for keeping others from taking over your room, cause its real obvious someone is there and its their space!!!
    All the best.

ps. it was holiday inn who advertised in a superbowl commercial with a lovely transgender girl. thus maybe the holiday inn should get our business.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FhjgxjAJxU

Kerrie
    Last edited by Kerrie Sifton; 08-04-2008 at 02:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Christinedreamer View Post
    This whole thing was a simple yet possibly devastaing mistake on the part of Housekeeping, but it was just that - a mistake. Let's not get everyone's panties in a twist.

Just think about it folks, if you went into a room after checking in and saw someone else's clothes there what would you do? Drop your bags in the room and and go to dinner or march right back to the front desk with your bags to complain and get it straightened out?

As I suggested, Housekeeping probaby saw women's clothes in a room with one man listed as the registered occupant. I suppose the hotel considered two possiblities; the first a double booking by accident. The second, that a man checked in under a single person's rate and then snuck in a woman (3 dimensional as opposed to suitcase- contained). It happens all the time.

In that case the management would be within their rights as an inkeeper to check it out. Granted the methodology used was not the wisest but you also must consider their room rental policies. (to which you agreed in the signed room contract)

In either case a closeted or semi-private CD would /should think twice about making such a big stink.

Politely but firmly insist on an explanation and apology and suggest that a perk of some sort was in order. Most hotels would gladly comp you in some way as opposed to having bad publicity. But if you opt for bad publicity, remember that YOU may well be a target of that same bad publicity.

Now if your items were rifled or there was missing or damaged property, that is an entirely different matter.

Finally, in the scheme of things, if there is no loss or damage, is it worth getting so riled up? People make mistakes- always have and always will.

These message boards are full of stories about "us" making mistakes and getting caught, telling someone who outed us etc. Do we therefore impose self penitence?

Life is too short to get so worked up over little things.

Remember that sweat makes make-up run and it doesn't smell as nice as perfume.

OK I'm off my soap box now.

love to all,
    Christine

Well I for one would get my panties in a twist

Investigate by all means if you think there is a serious problem for the hotel

Why did they need to move her to a different room and all her things as the room is obviously occupied

The hotel must know its occupied if they have to move luggage
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    Wow, it is hard to imagine something like this happening.
    Dana Ryan

Exclamation Amazing

I must confess I am amazed that so many think that the situation actually involved two different individuals assigned the same room. Folks look at my previous posts and take a minute to reconstruct the scene.

No one will (honest individuals anyway) move into a room that is obviously occupied.

Opening the door EXPECTING an empty room and finding someone else there , yes, BUT NOT MOVING INTO AN OCCUPIED ROOM!

We have all had double booking circumstances but can anyone else honestly say they have had someone MOVE iNTO their room?

Get real.

We have all had double booking circumstances but can anyone else honestly say they have had someone MOVE iNTO their room?

Get real.

[SIZE="3"]YES[/SIZE]
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Silver Member
    Please let us know how they respond and which hotel this is so we can be aware. With the way they treated you , you owe them nothing. They should have comped you everything. i beg you to let this forum know for selfish reasons as well as a way of settleing up with them. I patronize places that do the right thing. Good luck and avoid the clothing angle. This is a huge security breach by the staff. Also why didn't the guest they placed there question the situation. The disrespect for the CD aspect shows how the staff feels about thier customers and that they need training in how to handle major misakes on thier part. the fact that the things found in your room by the manager were shared with others is disturbing. Good Luck and be firm.

Quote Originally Posted by Christen3042 View Post
    [SIZE="3"]I probably would have said something like "Yes, everything is here except for my diamonds and the $1,200 in cash that was in the dresser."[/SIZE]
    YES!!! That would have made them S#&t themselves! Where's my money??Where's my jewelry??? OMG that would have been good. You were violated...blatently. I would call corporate and file a complaint AND never stay with that chain again.

This just ticks me off too!! :Angry3:

I can't believe it!!! First off, I can't believe that they wouldn't Let YOU enter your room to collect your stuff, but they didn't mind letting someone else in when it was occupied. What? The rule doesn't apply to everyone? I would definately ask why they allowed it to happen. Secondly, I would bring it to their attention that when the other occupant called and said that your stuff was still in there, why didn't they tell those people that they have to be moved?? Would that have been so hard to do? Third I would push for the employee and Manager responsible to be fired or at minimum suspended for their illegal actions. And lastly, if what they offer isn't satisfying enough, I would definately contact a Lawyer. I hope all turns out well. Please let us know.

Since I travel a lot. I would be interested in the Hotel that this happened. That has always been a fear of mine. Especially, since some hotels are paid for by my employer in advance and billed directly.

Folks look at my previous posts and take a minute to reconstruct the scene.
    But that's just it, hon. That's just your reconstruction of it, that's not for sure what really happen.

I personally have not, but I have had someone else I know personally who is in the same industry as me and travels for the same reasons I do have it happen to him. He was booked into the hotel from Thursday through sunday in a town about an hour and a half away from the city we both live in. I don't remember the story 100%, however, I know that he had to come home one of those nights after work for some family issue and even though he had left his bags in the room, the hotel checked him out of the room and checked someone else in, and then that person checked out and took my friends bag with them. He still hasn't gotten his stuff back.

So it does happen.

Holy cr@p! Imagine if you had been out en-femme for your first time shopping or sight seeing and had come back to being locked out and having to deal with such unprofessional front desk staff.

Just thinking about it makes me feel like diving deeper in to the closet. I think I need a stiff

-Christine

I will never understand how businesses can run like this. Either the employees just don't care (I can just get a job at another place), or they think the customer won't do anything about it. I don't know how many times I've dealt with crappy employees at restaurants who dont' care about your food, or employees that work at electronics stores who can't give a crap.

UPDATE:

I spoke with their "customer care" department. My initial version of the story was this.

- I checked in, the first 2 nights were normal. On the 3rd night, I came back, and my key did not work. I went to the front desk, and they told me that I had been moved to another room. I inquired about the whereabouts of my things, and I was told that no one knew where they were. A manager went to the old room, which was now occupied, and retrieved my items without me being present.

The agent asked me if all of my belonging were accounted for. I told her yes.

She asked me if the staff was courteous. I told her, not really. She asked me to explain.

At this point, I really did not want to bring CDing into the issue, but it seemed as though this was going no where otherwise.

I then explained to the agent the entire story. This seemed to strike her as amusing...so I had to speak with her supervisor.

The gentleman that "helped" me seemed bothered by me and uninterested in what I had to tell him. He said that he had noted the incident, and that their corporate office would investigate the matter and provide me with an explanation, by mail, in 7 to 10 business days!

So. I wait. At this point, I am expecting nothing to be done about this. But I can tell you this...if I have my Choice of hotels in the future, it will not be this chain.

(hint #2 included)
    “Truth Hits Everybody"