Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why some GGs don't wear a dress

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Perhaps technically this quotation should go in Media, but I think it fits better here:

Aug 5, 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by theglobeandmail.com
    JEANS ON THE JOB?

A recent University of Wisconsin- La Crosse study shows people take almost 500 more steps and burn 25 more calories on days they wear jjeans to work, Oxygen magazine reports.

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jo_ann View Post
    I don't care if women don't wear dresses, I just don't like it when they almost NEVER wear dresses. It's sad to think sometimes I'm in dresses more than my wife

Have you ever told her this?

Dresses?

From the way I've researhed the dress issue the evolution has been a long an twist'n road! Depending on the geographic location, on the planet Earth, dresses or more appropriatly garments resembling dresses have been worn by both male and females.

The basic attire for ancient Egyptian workers was a simple loincloth. Men of the upper class wore a wrapped skirt that somewhat resembled a kilt over the loincloth. This skirt was called a shenti. By 2800 BC the shenti was knee length; by the 1700s BC some shentis fell to the ankle. By 1100 BC men wore a close-fitting shenti and a fuller long one. During the reign of King Tutankhamun (1333-1323 BC), the shenti had a triangular projection in front. Cloaks or capes were draped over the shoulder. For shoes, the Egyptians wore sandals of leather or rush (a stiff marsh plant) fastened with a thong and a strap across the instep.

Women wore a long sheath dress called a kalasiris, which extended to the ankles and was held in place by one or two straps over the shoulders. Later, some of these dresses had sleeves sewn in. The kalasiris followed the outline of the body, but it was probably not as form-fitting and sheer as represented in art.

I could continue but I do not want to loose my audience! Besides I think you get the PICTURE. These 'attire mores' have exisited in all cultures at all times.

Fast foward to 2008........and M2F's, F2M's, TV's, TS's, CD's LMNOP's.

STYLE is a mix of personal appeal and social acceptance. Otherwise loin cholthes @ lunch and mini-skirts @ work would be frowned on at best and pink slipped at worst.

On the other hand I think my legs and fanny suit me in tight jeans over bottom padding (opps the secerts out) but I also luv a pencil tight skirt with suntan hose and 4" heels.

OMG I am starting to 'pant.' OOOOOH he/she? made a pun with pant. I would don this attire with the gurls but not at the construction job site.

Therefore, it mabe 'in style' and 'appropriate' but it may not be your style or appropriate!

wearing dresses

Recently I have purchased 2 pairs of womans pants. I did this in order to blend when I am shopping and going out to malls and lunch during the day. Wearing trousers takes a lot of the fun out of being a CD however I do blend in a bit better. Is it possible that women will stop wearing skirts and dresses and the only ones in dresses will be CDs?

OMG I am Headless!
    if pants take the fun out of dressing then you need some better pants/jeans!

Red face Here is one reason

I saw a very attractive GG the other day at Baskin Robbins, and I complimented her on the pretty dress she was wearing. She thanked me, and told me that "it was simply too hot to wear pants!" I saw her point. Personally, I don't think I look very feminine in pants, so I choose to wear skirts and tops, or dresses most of the time when I get dressed up.
    The other day, when I went to a salon for a makeover, I had the operator take pictures of me in a skirt, in pants, in a miniskirt, and, finally, a swimsuit. She told me that she thought the pants looked good on me so maybe I'll change my mind about pants.

Terri

I don't care if women don't wear dresses, I just don't like it when they almost NEVER wear dresses. It's sad to think sometimes I'm in dresses more than my wife

Have you ever told her this?
    Of course, but she hates wearing them. She's not comfortable in them (but she's also a tomboy at heart), and dont' even get me started on hosiery. She'd rather stick toothpicks under her nails than to wear sweaty pantyhose.

Quote Originally Posted by Satrana View Post
    I find men usually want to avoid ties because they don't want to have something constricting their necks. I have never myself heard any guy (non-CD) say they dislike ties because they were forced to wear them as a child.
    I think the more apt comparison would be that some men are being 'forced' to wear a tie to conform to a certain ROLE for many different reasons (mosty work related). I'm in this situation myself. My job requires me to wear a tie every day. Before having it, I wouldn't mind 'dressing up' once in a while in a nice tie and jacket for a special occasion, but now putting on a tie is the LAST thing I ever want to do. The first thing I do when the clock strikes 5:00 is take off the noose!

So perhaps this is the best comparison. There are many women who were/are being forced to wear these clothes either as young girls or today by their jobs. Instead of being able to enjoy them, they now feel about the clothes the same way I feel about a tie and jacket... something that I can't wait to get out of.

And, like many women and dressing up, I WILL put on a tie when not at work if I feel like the rare occasion calls for it, but it is never something I enjoy doing.
    In a society in which it is a moral offense to be different from your neighbor your only escape is never to let them find out.
    -- Robert Heinlein

I put this very question to my wife awhile back. She said that wearing dresses and skirts makes a woman feel infinately more vulnerable. I guess that's a legit gripe.

Silver Member victoriamwilliams1's Avatar
    I have seen an increase in skirts and dresses, it is a seasonal thing.

Quote Originally Posted by vivianann View Post
    I find wearing dresses is cooler than wearing pants even with leggs shear energy hosery. I like seeing GGs in pants also because it makes their buts look sooo cute.

Like you Vivianne - I also enjoy women wearing pants, especially while I am wearing a skirt and pantyhose. Being married to a Tomboy makes it pretty much me being the one in the Family wearing the skirts...and I LOVE it!

Patti

Quote Originally Posted by jo_ann View Post
    Of course, but she hates wearing them. She's not comfortable in them (but she's also a tomboy at heart), and dont' even get me started on hosiery. She'd rather stick toothpicks under her nails than to wear sweaty pantyhose.
    And for all of us guys Lucku enough to be married to Tomboys...let's assure that WE are the ones in skirts and dresses and Especially Silky Pantyhose...and let our women enjoy us being Pretty for them. It is Time for the Women to wear the pants while We wear the Skirts and other pretty things!

Patti

I am seeing more and more GGs in dresses...especially the young 20 to teen age bracket. So its coming back in style. Even lesbians who really never had on dresses at the clubs are starting to wear them again. But heck I luv wearing capri pants and a sexy little top...I understand why the GGs like those or jeans they are fun too!

Aspiring Member
    I am seeing more of a trend to women and girls wearing skirts and dresses this summer, than I have for a while.
    Up here in the north, during the winter slacks are more practical for the cold weather, ( stops the cold winds from blowing up ones skirt ) but then during the winter months, when we see a lady wearing a dress or skirt during the day, it is more often the dress code for where they work.

When I am on vacaiton, I am Femme 24/7. When travelling and in and out of the vehicle, i will wear slacks as they are more practical, and one blends in much better with the rest of the ladies that are travelling.

When i stop for the evening, if I go out for dinner or shopping, will most always wear a skirt or dress, as I find that I am more comfortable having worn slacks all day.

I too agree that depending on where we are as to what we wear, as in a lot of cases, we are less vulnerable wearing slacks than a skirt or dress.

Always a woman at heart.

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by Melinda G View Post
    They'll wear a dress when they are trying to get your attention!
    Amen to that. My ex put on a dress one afternoon before I got home and it got my attention right away. Billie Jean P.S. It was a hot little black mini dress and she was fine looking anyhow.

I'm what my therapist calls a "second level transexual". Someone who didnt really know for years what she was, as opposed to those ts's who knew from the get-go what they needed. For decades, I thought I was a cd. And I almost always wore skirts or dresses, especially if I was leaving the house. It makes perfect sense. Those who can't be female all of the time are almost certainly going to try to put as much of an accent on their femininity as they can, when they get the chance to dress. GG's, on the other hand, even girly-girls, take their femininity for granted, in many ways. It's always been a part of who they are. They know they can look just as good in jeans or shorts and a cute top. Unless it's really hot out, pants are more comfortable, make one feel less vulnerable, and leave one free to wear sneakers(I know, some women do wear sneaks with a skirt).

Now that I live about 50% of my life presenting as a woman, and am working my way to 100%, I find myself wearing pants and jeans most of the time. This didnt happen overnight, and I'm not sure I can explain it completely. I think of myself as a woman, and I really just want to be an every-day, average female. Jeans help do that. I still love a cute skirt or summer dress, and will wear them occasionally. Especially if it's hot out. Most of my skirts are of the very casual variety, anyway, made for wear with a t shirt or equally casual top. Having said all that, however, skirts ARE definitely more in fashion and seen much more these days than a few years ago. And I think they do brighten up the world.

P.S.- Pantyhose was invented by the devil! Yay for bare legs!!!

Hugs,

Melissa

I agree with most of you that the ladies were forced to wear dresses and now are glad to have the freedom to wear pants. My SO is one of them. She rarely wears a dress so I enjoy them for both of us. I feel great in a dress and wear them as much as posssible and am happy for my wife when she is wearing her pants.