Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why some GGs don't wear a dress

Quote Originally Posted by brendaisagirl View Post
    This GG wears them around the house, it is cooler than pants. Cold weather it is pants most of the time. I had to wear them all the time as a child, so I do not wear them all the time now.
    In pants or a dress I'm still the same girl.
    Brenda
    I'm pretty much the same way (except I'm a GM and in pants or a dress I'm still the same guy )
    Although, for me a skirt with tights works in winter...

I have heard plenty of GGs say they had to wear dresses or skirts when they were young and that's one reason they don't wear them so much now.

In the end, though, GGs should have as much freedom to wear what they want without snarky or negative comments as we would like to have.

I think most women like to dress for comfort and also to showcase their femininity. Most women are proud and excited with being feminine and I believe really do enjoy wearing cute sun dresses. I would also say many women love wearing their little black dress too!

I also believe that a woman would not generally wear a dress every day of the week.

Women like choices and I believe many women are very comfortable in slacks, jeans and pantsuits too.

For me as a crossdresser/TG I prefer feminine clothing and I could get into wearing dresses every day. I would probabaly be considered a girly girl!

emmi

OMG I am Headless!
    I think also jeans and a nice blouse is just more apropriate at times... both of CD's and GGs...

Of course women wear pants, they don't want to be mistaken for being crossdressers.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

Quote Originally Posted by trannie T View Post
    Of course women wear pants, they don't want to be mistaken for being crossdressers.
    Tee hee that is so funny., although I suspect having long hair is more conduscive to people thinking your a tranny.
    Its strange though isn't it how the dress is considered more feminine than trousers or jeans. Fashions come and fashions go, but there was a point in time when most young women wore trousers all the time. So could we say that the definition of feminine dress had changed all be it temporarily, and it was then more feminine to wear trousers. I wonder how many CDs followed suit, I doubt very many.
    For me trousers are much more practical in the winter and dresses in the summer. Although as nicky B has already pointed out we probably feel less threatened and vulnerable in trousers because we are more covered up.
    Bev

Quote Originally Posted by Bev06 GG View Post
    Tee hee that is so funny., although I suspect having long hair is more conduscive to people thinking your a tranny.
    Its strange though isn't it how the dress is considered more feminine than trousers or jeans. Fashions come and fashions go, but there was a point in time when most young women wore trousers all the time. So could we say that the definition of feminine dress had changed all be it temporarily, and it was then more feminine to wear trousers. I wonder how many CDs followed suit, I doubt very many.
    For me trousers are much more practical in the winter and dresses in the summer. Although as nicky B has already pointed out we probably feel less threatened and vulnerable in trousers because we are more covered up.
    Bev

I agree with you Bev, even when en femme I feel less vulnerable in slacks or jeans than I do in a dress. Even shorts or a skort offers more "protection" than a dress. Also there are many situations where slacks or jeans are just more practical such as the grocery store on Saturday morning, the hardware store, or just running errands around town and getting in and out of the car 25 times!

I think the issue here runs deeper than most of us want to admit to. We view femininity with attire. While that is a part of it it is as much or more inside us. It is how we move, how we act, how we feel. So many whine they don't feel acceptance or they don't pass, well I say try to fit in don't try to pass! If one goes to the local mall and watches what the GG's are wearing at a particular time one might better understand. I went to a local mall yesterday afternoon after church. I first stopped at home and changed from my 4" heels to some slingbacks with a 2" heel yet leaving on the dress I wore to church. I fit right in as many of the women were there after church with their families or alone. Yes I saw women in slacks, heaven knows a lot of women wear slacks to church these days, yet all were very feminine in appearance. Perhaps we all need to understand what femininity is and learn to be feminine in slacks or jeans and embrace all levels of ourselves!
    Some ask why? Some ask why not? I ask "Does this pump come in a 9 1/2?"

Quote Originally Posted by Cristi View Post
    I agree with the original post that the reason so many women resist wearing dresses, skirts and hose is that they were FORCED to as young girls.
    If that were true then we would expect to see an equal aversion in men to pants since we were all forced to wear them during our childhood and the crossdressing rate in men should be at least 90%. Also if you visit cultures where mature women still routinely wear skirts and dresses you will not find any aversion to wearing them as adults. Such a statement would really only be true for tomboys who hated skirts and dresses in the first place during their childhood.

The aversion we see now is a Western cultural product of 1. militant feminism which decried classical femininity as a negative scourge; 2. the body image problems that many women have which results in them hiding and downplaying their body shape; 3. the overwhelming media coverage of teenage fashion and the association of feminine dress only with the young and the beautiful; 4. fashion trends where women do not want to be ridiculed for not wearing age-conscious outfits.

Back at the college, I had this GG friend who was MISERABLE when she had to waetr a skirt or a dress. She herself could not find a rationale for that, but avoided these items at all costs. However when she couldn't, and had to wear them, she was always cranky: On the other hand, I just adore both dresses and skirts
    Last edited by Lidia_tv; 08-04-2008 at 06:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vivianann View Post
    I too like to see GGs in a dress, however GGs have the right to wear pants whether they are womens pants or mens pants, I dont think it is a shame GGs dont wear dresses because then it might be considered a shame that GMs does not wear pants. I am happy that we can wear dresses and the GGs can wear pants if they so choose to. I had GGs tell me the reason they dont wear dresses is because they dont like when the wind blows their skirts up and men trying to look up there skirts, those kind of things make them uncomfortable when wearing a dress.
    Let the GGs have there freedom to wear pants, and I like the freedom to wear dresses, it is a two way street for everybody involved.
    Same here!

Quote Originally Posted by Satrana View Post
    If that were true then we would expect to see an equal aversion in men to pants since we were all forced to wear them during our childhood
    I think quite a few men have an aversion to ties for that reason.
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I wonder how she'd feel about it if she hadn't been allowed to wear dresses while growing up, and then had the option available to her later?

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Forced

It may be that they were forced, I was forced to wear a school uniform when I was younger, which included dress pants, dress shirt, and tie, and I detested it. For other GG's it may just be a comfort thing. That is why many of us choose the skirts vs pants.

I find it appaulding that I see us saying it is a shame that GG's dont wear dresses or in a previous thread it was labled as a waste to their body. I dont see the GGs saying the GMs should be in a three piece suit.

Yes I do see that more GGs are opting for the skirts and sundresses this summer, even my SO (who would rather have pants, and NO THAT DOES NOT MAKE HER A FTM!!!) has opted for the shorter style .

SO lets not start fighting with the GGs on what they wear, they are beatiful with who they are. Thank you GGs for putting up with us, I know it can be difficult. (for us too)

Ingredient: 100% Attitude DemonicDaughter's Avatar
    I don't think wearing a skirt is any sexier than wearing pants. I think its the complete ensemble that is considered sexy. I mean, moo-moos are considered dresses and I can't find anything sexy about those. I mean, let's face it... a truly sexy person could wear a tent and you'd still find them attractive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [SIZE="3"]"We're all born naked. Everything we wear is drag," said Boy George
    [/SIZE]

I don't care if women don't wear dresses, I just don't like it when they almost NEVER wear dresses. It's sad to think sometimes I'm in dresses more than my wife

To me wearing dresses is the very essence of femininity.

Just view a pretty girl in a pretty dress and you generally are captivated by her beauty.

Even if she wears jeans she is very captivating!

emmi

Quote Originally Posted by RylieCD View Post

I find it appaulding that I see us saying it is a shame that GG's dont wear dresses
    I don't see anything appalling about someone expressing their preference for one type of outfit over another and wishing others would dress more often in a manner which they feel pleasing. It only becomes an issue if people become judgmental that wearing or not wearing certain clothes means something more than the personal preference which everyone is free to express.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptLex View Post
    I think quite a few men have an aversion to ties for that reason.
    I find men usually want to avoid ties because they don't want to have something constricting their necks. I have never myself heard any guy (non-CD) say they dislike ties because they were forced to wear them as a child.

Quote Originally Posted by bah-bah-bobbie View Post
    A woman is still sexy and feminine in a pair of jeans, a feat none of us can accomplish...
    Unfair to say none of us can accomplish this. I happen to be able to pull this off quite well!!! Naturally I might add.

Quote Originally Posted by Kendra (Tx) View Post
    [SIZE="3"]I love seeing GG's in dresses too...I've chatted with a lot of them who have said "it's too much trouble" to wear a dress...stockings, or shaved legs, shoes and other accessories...it's much easier for them to pull on a nice fitted pair of jeans, a cami ( maybe with a cute blouse tied at the waist ) and slip on some sandals or maybe even a pair of sneaks.[/SIZE]
    Been there, done that. Sometimes for all day outings I'll take along a few outfit choices, the fav being what I call casual chic during the day (jeans, cami top, heels or sandals, whatever) and then something a bit more dressy for the evening. However, more often than not, I find myself saying "must I really change into a dress/skirt/whatever???" which of course used to surprise me. Why? Because even two years ago I'd never imagine having that mindset. But the more I get out, the more I'm liking to be a casual girl. And taking that into the evening with others who are TG kind of shows that we too can be cute, casual, fun and even a bit sexy without thinking we have to dress it up to the nines.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

My SO used to wear dresses and skirts, mostly for work, and when she got home she was quickly out of that outfit and into the comfy clothes, almost always sweat pants and a comfortable top. Not that she is a homemaker, I only see her get dressed up if I take her out. But I was always T-Shirt, jeans and tennis shoes ALL the time, being a no-collar worker, so I never had any right to complain.

My limited experience with a skirt is that there are pros and cons to them just like everything else. They are definately cooler, but they are more of a hassle doing basic things like sitting down and getting in/out of the car.

As far as women not wearing them now because they were forced to, there are certainlly women who feel that way and I think we can all appreciate that point of view.

:) Post-Op Hippie Chick CharleneT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trannie T View Post

!!!!!!!!!!!!

that's great !!

C.

Most women wear pants for the most part...i think, because....

dresses and skirts are work to wear for most women and not the sensuous movement about the legs that they are for xdressers. For us the outfits define femininity...but with that definition comes more careful movement, accessories,makeup,sitting postures, color coordination, cost *purchasing and cleaning*, etc. I'm perfectly content with skirts and dresses from a nice thrift store I frequent....but most of the women there are in the pants section as in the big department stores. Where we wear them to relax and be about the house, women wear them for special occasions and to dress up and go out. I think what we have in common with them is liking to show off our legs and what better way then in a dress!
    Women are just as sexy in nice pants and tops as dresses and skirts, but most xdressers look better in dresses and skirts then pants *personal opinion, here*. Besides, whats the fun in wearing pants?
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE][SIZE="3"]Big Hugs!
    Ash
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by onowic View Post
    My SO used to wear dresses and skirts, mostly for work, and when she got home she was quickly out of that outfit and into the comfy clothes, almost always sweat pants and a comfortable top. Not that she is a homemaker, I only see her get dressed up if I take her out.
    I still love skirts. I used to wear them almost all the time because of my weight. (My huge ass and hips looked a lot better in a skirt than in pants.) Now I have pants that look fine and for running after the toddler...it helps to not be tripping on a skirt. I have NO IDEA how women used to do it...

Hmmmm...I could use some new clothes come to think of it. Honey can I have the credit card?

Onowic's Wife Kay

Honey can I have the credit card?
    You have all the credit cards already! Let's quit cheating on our diets and then we can go on a shopping trip together! I do miss our shopping trips we use to go on when we were dating.

dress

down here in hot Fla., most women don't wear dresses or skirts. At church on Sundays maybe 20% will dressup. This is the only time that I can dress up andd blend in with the crowd.

Unexpected Woman Empress Lainie's Avatar
    [SIZE=4]Ever wonder why there is no female crossdresser site?

Because they are ALL crossdressers, but no one cares.

We in our tg group shamed our female facilitator into only wearing skirts on Mondays for our meeting.

She is well aware of the double standard of society re crossdressing.
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Ascended Ancient[/SIZE]