Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question.going to the veterans adm for a physical

i love being a woman maid phylis's Avatar

Smile question.going to the veterans adm for a physical

my question for the veterans of this group.is.i have my first physical with my primary doctor at the va.to all my other doctors i have told them that i am a cd and i have worn my lingerie to their offices.for this first one with the va should i continue the same and just tell the doc that i wear lingerie and let him take it from there. love phylisanne

In Search of Sunrise WildLotus29's Avatar
    Wear what you're comfortable wearing. A physician is a professional and should act accordingly. His/her only concern should be your health.

Silver Member
    Yes, wear whatever you are comfortable wearing. Doctors won't care about this they are only concerned about your health. I am a veteran and recieve va health care. I have never had to strip down to my undies but if I do they will see my panties and that does not bother me. I recently seen a va podiatrist and not one word was said about my red toenails!

This is a most valuable thread. I too am a vet and have as yet to show up in my femme. I've told the VA counselor I see and even show up there all the time en femme. But have not yet seen the doctor en femme. I told her the next time I went to see the doc I was going en femme. She merely said: "Be aware there may be reprecussions."

I asked her what kind and she said some of the other vets may give me trouble.

I ask her about the doc. Is it really a concern for him? She said she didn't know but that it ought not to be as his main concern is supposed to be treating my health. And not concerned about what I wear.

So although I am somewhat apprehensive at the moment, it is my intention to show up for my next doc appt, (in August) en femme as I go everywhere else that way now. So I will know then what will happen.

But thank you for this thread. I will be watching this one.

Shouldn't be a problem, but not all doctors are the same. You could be lucky and yours won't give a hoot, or unlucky, and receive poor care.
    DonnaT

Smile thank you all

to all my sisters who are veterans thank you all very much .now i can see my doctor also in august feeling good about myself. phylisanne and to all vietnam veterans WELL COME HOME

little place called Delaware, southerly from Philly Pa.
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE]
    Quote Originally Posted by EricaLS85 View Post
    Wear what you're comfortable wearing. A physician is a professional and should act accordingly. His/her only concern should be your health.
    Hiya Phylisann after several years I was starting to get comfortable with my provider at the VA to come out to her but then they moved her to another city and gave me a new one. It's back to ground zero for me. I hope you have better luck. Thanx for the welcome home. lotsa huggzzz to ya, bobbie

Two weeks ago I went in the the Jack C. Montgomery VA Medical Center here in Muskogee for my six month physical, and I was wearing a patio dress and going regimental (the hemline was mid calf). The Doc even checked my prostate with the glove on his hand and didn't say a word except to say that it was a little enlarged. Docs have seen it all, and their ethics codes forbid them from commenting on unusual things.

Smile wellcome home

Quote Originally Posted by bobbie_1048 View Post
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE]
    Hiya Phylisann after several years I was starting to get comfortable with my provider at the VA to come out to her but then they moved her to another city and gave me a new one. It's back to ground zero for me. I hope you have better luck. Thanx for the welcome home. lotsa huggzzz to ya, bobbie
    back at ya love phylisanne. ex us,navy

VA Clinic or Hospital

Here in Chattanooga,I would NEVER consider it,it is too damn conservative here for me,I would not feel comfortable at all.

There's a VA facility near Boston that has a specific policy for the transgendered. A friend of mine was the first and after her they got the policy initiated and then down in writing. I don't know if there are any other VA places with such a policy.
    Sally

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaT View Post
    Shouldn't be a problem, but not all doctors are the same. You could be lucky and yours won't give a hoot, or unlucky, and receive poor care.
    The care is ALREADY sloppy. He is one of those foreigners who failed medical school so he came to America and went to work for the VA. They will hire anything! Believe me, I speak from over 10 years of experience with them and I've yet to meet a real medical doctor who knows his/her shit from shinOla.

Silver Member
    Roberta, i am so sorry to hear of your negative experiences with VA care. I have experienced just the opposite here in Iowa. I am very well satisfied with the care I recieve. All of the doctors that I have dealt with have been very professional and have treated me with respect. The podiatrist I recently seen did not bat an eye at seeing my red toe nails. I was a bit apprehensive about this at first but decided to go for it in the end. I am glad I did as I just hate to hide my cd tendencies from any one. I wish you were recieving the same level of care that I am. I guess this varies from location to location. My experience with VA heath care has been a positive one so far and hope that this will be the same for you.

Phyllis, The VA is just like any other medical facility. You can tell them you are a crossdresser if you wish, but they have probably seen plenty already so I doubt anybody will worry about what you're wearing for underwear.

If this will be your first visit, wear the prettiest frilliest lingerie you have
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Aspiring Member

VA doctors

As a veteran I thought I should stick in my 2 cents. I go to the one in Minneapolis. The care there is shakey. I seek help and all they want to do is send me for tests. and more tests. I had a pain in the arm and shoulder and after 6 trips for testing they said they couldn't find anything. My chiro, which the VA won't cover, Found it and help treat me. I don't have the severe pain anymore just an occassional pain mostly aggravated by the cold. The other thing is that I threw out a bread crumb at my shrink and he said he can't help me in that area. Recommended I go to the U of M for help in the cd/tg. Not sure what I will do yet. Anyway there is my experiences with the VA. So be careful that they don't try to pull the rug out from under you.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    I've never been to a VA facility to be checked out, but I have been to my own doctor's office for a check up that included an exam "down there" and guess what? I wore cream colored panties! ... I kid you not! ... and the Doc noticed, ... I could tell!

Nothing was said though. Don't worry, it'll be a cinch
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Hopefully, the health care providers are more concerned with YOUR HEALTH than being opinionated and of closed mind.

I haven't been seen at the VA, but I was recently seen for an employment physical by an MD that is a Colonel in the MN ANG. I was wearing men's underwear, but he didn't say anything about my shaved legs/underarms or that my toes were painted. He did mention my military service and gave me a Huah! Hey, figure how many of us in the service are/were CD's. A LOT! As a paramedic, I treat everybody the same. Just be yourself.

Rachel

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "So that others may live..."

"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker!"

Banned Read only
    I let my body and leg hair grow out for about a month before my visit to the VA, and wear mens underwear. While they are all professionals, I see no need to flaunt my CDing in their faces, or test their reactions to something that doesn't concern them. What you do, is up to you. A little common sense goes a long way.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maid phylis View Post
    back at ya love phylisanne. ex us,navy
    ex US Navy here too, 1967 - 1971

Quote Originally Posted by CD Susan View Post
    Roberta, i am so sorry to hear of your negative experiences with VA care. I have experienced just the opposite here in Iowa. I am very well satisfied with the care I recieve. All of the doctors that I have dealt with have been very professional and have treated me with respect. The podiatrist I recently seen did not bat an eye at seeing my red toe nails. I was a bit apprehensive about this at first but decided to go for it in the end. I am glad I did as I just hate to hide my cd tendencies from any one. I wish you were recieving the same level of care that I am. I guess this varies from location to location. My experience with VA heath care has been a positive one so far and hope that this will be the same for you.
    Thank you Susan. I also have to admit it could be partially my own fault. For as "a man" I have carried a grudge against the VA ever since I began dealing with them....a grudge which originated in boot camp all those years ago. But that is another story.

So being that my anger is lower as Roberta, in my daily life, I am curious as to how I will feel when I walk through the door? If the anger has subsided, maybe they will pick up on it and be kinder to me. So I know I need to work on me also. And let's face it, if the truth were known, I've not been the best of patients when I go to them. Mainly because I've not had a reason for I've found them, from the start, to be bad. But certainly changing my own thinking so to change my life will not do me any harm. And I do need to practice what I preach.

But I appreciate your kind words to me and thank you for your kind wishes.

Have a beautiful day.

My $0.02

This is turning into a most interesting thread.

As a Vet, I say do what you are confortable with. As for myself, I have no desire to share my CDing with my provider.

I am sorry to hear about everyone's problem's with VA Health care. My experience has been nothing short of positive.

I go to the Jesse Brown Center in Chicago. This is a teaching facility for the University of Illinois.

I just got my hearing aids a few weeks ago. It took time(almost a year), but the results were worth it.

I've yet to come accross anyone there who doesn't give our needs first priority.

Smile

I'm closing on a year of full time dressing, and believe me, the doctors are professional!
    I've had the occasional question about the color of my toenails, or where I've had them done from the nurses. (Who actually ask more questions, and I think that's great!) But the doctors are more concerned about my health. Period.
    My ex, Regina, (Who is still a good friend.), explained that they have seen it all, in the E.R. (Even some things you don't want to think about.)
    I've recently moved and changed my doctors, (Only thirty miles away, but a different county.), and been shown respect from all of them.

Don't worry... You're health is the most important thing to both you and them!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

USAF 66-70 Have been going to the VA for about 10 yrs-(hearing aids, eye operations, and the list goes on, with my blood sugar trouble)never gone dressed but toes with paint, last 6 yrs panties only, never told them about being a cross dresser because it has nothing to do with my health concerns.
    I have never had problems - but I know that there are times when it going to take some time to get an appt and then get fixed.

My most recent VA visits.

My recent appointments with the VA have been very professional. Although I'm not "out", my normal daily appearance is androgenous. My hair is below shoulder length and I usually curl it (then comb out the curls to give my hair some wave and body). I usually wear colored stone studs and 'black hills gold' rings. Lately, I've begun to wear scented body talc and perfume that's not too 'over the top' or strong. I've worn acrylic nails for over 3 years and they are noticeable. My primary care physician has seen my toenail polish and although hasn't seen but I'm sure felt my bra straps when using his stethoscope. I've been wanting to speak to him for a referral to another local physican for hrt, but haven't found the right time/worked up the nerve yet. The last appointment to the the VA hospital for specific tests I was wearing a striped coral twinset shirt and tank with jeans and sling-back woven shoes. The appointment was in the urology dept. and the Dr. I saw was a woman. One of the test was to check my prostate and it was necessary to reveal my pink embroidered panties. She was very professional about it and there was no rude comments. In fact, I've never received any inapropriate comments at the VA. I have had positive compliments on my nails or polish though.