Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossdresser for Politician

Crossdresser for Politician

I am thinking about running for political office and I know it'll probably come out that I am a crossdresser. I am thinking that it might help that I'm a CD because of all the closeted dressers out thier. Also in my area there is a big gay community. What do you all think?

We had a TS run for mayor in Toronto back in 2000. Enza "Supermodel" Anderson placed a respectable third with 13,585 votes (one of those votes was mine).

She is now a columnist with a Toronto morning newspaper and was the grand marshall of this years Pride Parade.

Might be an advantages to see both sides of gender issues.

You need to come up with a great slogan.

Good luck and make sure you're wearing smudge proof lipstick when kissing babies.
    If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.

If the former Mayor of New York City could publicly do it several times and still run for President, ummmm...are you trying for an important enough office?

Found an article about it...
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18108978/
    Last edited by Brina Halloween; 08-14-2008 at 05:00 PM.

gurlz want it alll! dresser1974's Avatar
    some good publicity for us would be good.
    You Go Girl

Quote Originally Posted by ashleyinwpb View Post
    I am thinking about running for political office and I know it'll probably come out that I am a crossdresser. I am thinking that it might help that I'm a CD because of all the closeted dressers out thier. Also in my area there is a big gay community. What do you all think?
    Wasn't there a city manager in Gainsville Florida that came out that he was transgendered ? As I recall it didn't go all that well for him. Be careful out there !
    Huggs, Renee

I notice you don't have your picture here, yet you're considering having it plastered all over the local media?
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

Enza in Toronto is a beautiful woman. I met her once and she is a wonderful person. Way more intelligent than that mayor Lastman who almost gave the city key to the Hells Angels.

Andrea
    Last edited by Shelly Preston; 08-14-2008 at 05:22 PM. Reason: pic removed - read the rules on pictures

Banned Read only
    Ya know what Ashley? I think it's a great idea....

If you're well known enough already with a good reputation...and you come out, you'd be doing a world of good for the rest of us and the gay community, too. You may not be allied with the gay community now, but that connection will be made for you by the press and public anway.

You probably wouldn't win, but it would up your local visibility and, like NancyTO has related, lead to other opportunties. If you need them.

It'll be tough...and scary...maybe too scary....

The decision is up to you. If you're already out to someone, anyone, you know that your CDing will eventually come out. Especially if you become a high profile public person.

If you really want that office, I think it better for you to get the jump on possible political "scandal" and get it out to the public from the get go.

Another thought....rather than term yourself as "crossdresser", you might consider the label "transgender". Publicly it may not carry the same negative connotations as the former, but still be the truth. That depends on your own thinking and how you see yourself, of course.

Slogan? How about "NO HIDDEN AGENDA!"

Think long and hard, Ashley! Once you've let that cat out of the bag..., as we say.

Good luck darlin'. We certainly want to here more about this!

(As to the city manager of Gainesville...
    While G'ille is kind of an oasis of college liberalism in what is a real conservative area, the voting population of that area is generally pretty "red-state", if ya catch my drift. Ten miles outside the city limits you never saw so many confederate flags flyin' openly anywhere in the South. Sheesh! South Forida, especially Ft. Lauderdale and Palm Beach areas are more genuine liberal enclaves.)

Go for it hun you just may win.
    Angie

Most local races do not develop the same level of mudslinging as do the major campaigns. I have never been within 1500 miles of our community but with a large gay population if the rest of the voters are tolerant your crossdressing should not be much of an issue. Campaigning is tough work, good luck to you.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

What are you going to do about our crippling lugnut shortage?

Honesty and education would be key. "Yes, I am a crossdresser. Next question?" The education part would be much harder. So many people unfamliar with this see "crossdresser" or "transgendered" and immediately, many unsavory things go through their minds, mostly to do with sex. If you can successfully educate alot of uninformed people, and have them know this is simply a part of who you are, and not about sex, It would allay alot of discomfort. No small feat.

Hugs,

Melissa
    What's the point of instruments, words are a sawed off shotgun-Radiohead

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/melissa.c.keiper

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Ashley, we wish u the best!

Whatever u decide to do. It would be great if people in the USA voted for politicians on the issues. Of course, it also would be great if they could read and had attention spans of over 10 seconds!
    Just becareful. Your and your families' safety is the most important thing!

I'd probably vote for u!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Thanks for the support.

I'm going to run in about three years maybe two idf things fall into place properly. I'm very well know in my community and it'd be a huge surprise for those that know me. I figure when the question comes up it'll be yeah so and whats your real question, I think the bigger issue is I used to smoke pot and guess what I inhaled and even bigger than that I used to frequent strip clubs, hell I still do but now I only go when I'm drunk with my SO and our friends. I have a SO and she is very supportive we are young and on our way to get married very shortly. we're both in our mid and late 20's and I dress very androgynous on occasions and have my toes painted and my legs shave but I'm a cyclist so I have an excuse for the legs. I'm very involved in the political arena here and eventually I will run for council. I know one day I'm running for Prez, and I'll need y'alls votes. Later girls.

In West Palm Beach I'd say go for it! But her in rural Southern Indiana I could only guarantee you 2 votes. Although I would work on your campaign.

Worlds Prettiest Dad!!! Jocelyn Quivers's Avatar
    Just make sure your oppenent doesn't get a secret picture of you having a bad hair day.

Not just a pig-n-lipstick

Go for it!

I say go for it!, city council isn't usually very hotly contested and in West Palm Beach it may just be an advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyTO View Post
    We had a TS run for mayor in Toronto back in 2000. Enza "Supermodel" Anderson placed a respectable third with 13,585 votes (one of those votes was mine).

She is now a columnist with a Toronto morning newspaper and was the grand marshall of this years Pride Parade.

Might be an advantages to see both sides of gender issues.

You need to come up with a great slogan.

Good luck and make sure you're wearing smudge proof lipstick when kissing babies.

I met her about 3 years ago, very nice girl. Shame she didn't win.

As for a slogan I got "Crossing party lines and party dresses."

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TracyH View Post
    What are you going to do about our crippling lugnut shortage?
    Use Autobots as a distraction for the populace, to draw attention away from it?

Your idea to run sound intriguing. Do your research carefully. If a win seems possibly then go for it. You'd have to have the right strategy. You'd also need a simple way to to explain your dressing and put it in a better light. Comining out before it is disovered would be best. There are so many variables, which means lots of research.

Best of luck to you. Keep us posted.

Gen

The sad thing is that most people have more issues with trannies than they do with out gay people. The first thing ever said about you was "It's a boy" or "It's a girl". Society sees trans people as messing with the most basic concept they have, a bi gendered world with everyone locked in place from cradle to the grave. However, that being said, once upon a time most European maps of the Atlantic said "Here be monsters", so it took a great deal of courage for anyone to venture past that immaginary line. Good luck, I live south of you so I can't support you with my vote... but my sister lives in PB county.

K
    "No, I'm not hitting on you, Ma'am, when I said I wanted to get in your pants, I meant I wanted to try them on!"

Quote Originally Posted by ashleyinwpb View Post
    go for it i live in wpb and would support you

Can you show us a Pic of yourself?

My advice would be to not even play the group-based politics (i.e. identifying as a TG running for office, rather than simply describing yourself). Just be yourself, listen to people, tell as much truth as you can get away with while at the same time never lying or spinning, and pretend your opponents don't exist until you're invited to a debate. If it comes out that you're a TG, so what? As long as you're not advocating special rights and privileges for TGs, and sticking with the traditional message of equal treatment under the law, you will lose only those votes of those who value propaganda over the face-to-face contact with an honest person they will get when you knock on their door. If anyone questions you, just say, hey, you can rest assured that transparency in my personal habits means that I'll advocate transparency in government.

I work directly in small town politics. It can be pure hell!!!!! Be careful, but then again I am to the point where I am saying to heck what everybody thinks too!!! Go For It!!!!!

Go for it!!!

Depending on how word gets "out" about your dressing, you maybe able to get some milage with the GG's by saying something like "I truely know what it is like to walk in your shoes!".