Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hobby or Lifestyle?

Smile Hobby or Lifestyle?

I have been reading this forum and have noticed that some call CDing a hobby while others call CDing a lifestyle. I feel calling this a hobby cheapens what it is for me. The definition of a hobby is a pastime activity. I'm not doing this to pass the time. It's not like collecting stamps or building model cars. This is who I am. This is not somethig that I'm going to grow out of or pass down to my children. For me this is a constantly changing force that started at a young age. I feel it's in my DNA. If I've offended anybody, I'm sorry! I want to know what is CDing to you?

I find both to be a funny way to put it, I agree, it is more than just a hobby, I have a couple of hobbies them I can spend time on them or not. But Crossdressing is not really my lifestyle, that sounds more full time to me, if you are 24/7 then thats a lifestyle. but somethimes I can't stop dressing, and other times I go for weeks, maybe even months that I never even think about it. So that does not seem like a lifestyle. For me at least, the term that comes to mind is a compulstion, but I guess that sounds worse than Hobby of Lofestyle! LOL
    Tina B.

Quote Originally Posted by lustingforherclothes View Post
    ...I want to know what is CDing to you?
    Simply a part of my being; who I am.
    Fulltime girl on the inside.
    Lipstick=confidence

[SIZE=4]Holly[/SIZE]

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Is it hobby?......hummm....this is maybe a good way of putting it over to someone who doesn't really understand what CDing is for a lot of people, or you could say it’s kind of like having a gender vacation. But for me I'd have to say it's a bit more serious than a hobby or a vacation. A hobby is what I used to tell myself it was before I accepted what it really actually is for me. It effects me emotionally too much to be a hobby, I'd have to say that (for me) it's an integral part of who I am. I know I can't be happy without incorporating it into my everyday life.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

I love doing it so much and yet feel like it's a monkey on my back. What is that called?

Karen Sue

Quote Originally Posted by lustingforherclothes View Post
    I have been reading this forum and have noticed that some call CDing a hobby while others call CDing a lifestyle. I feel calling this a hobby cheapens what it is for me. The definition of a hobby is a pastime activity. I'm not doing this to pass the time. It's not like collecting stamps or building model cars. This is who I am. This is not somethig that I'm going to grow out of or pass down to my children. For me this is a constantly changing force that started at a young age. I feel it's in my DNA. If I've offended anybody, I'm sorry! I want to know what is CDing to you?
    I agree,

It's been part of me practically all my life. And I'm not going to change now.

Huggs, Renee

"Hobby" is the code word I use with my wife (that keeps it non-threatening to her).

I carefully avoid the use of the word "obsession" because that refers to something you cannot control and will eventually ruin your life (so she explained to me).

"Life" and "style" do not seem like words that even work in the same sentence.

To myself, I just think of myself as a girl.

On the most part CDing is more pain then pleasure. Constantly fighting inward battles makes me tired.
    Once it meant alot to me now I just want it away, so far away.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[SIZE="3"]And I was thinkin' how the world shoulda cried
    On the day Jack Kirby died
    [/SIZE]

cding a hobby?
    too trivial-its part of who i am-i am not a stamp or a model airplane
    cding a lifestyle?
    expressing my fem side is a top priority in my life-it takes over every free moment after all the "chores" are done.
    compulsive!
    every waking moment is influenced by the desire-the fem side totally takes over my life-my decision making ability is impaired.it can make me extremely selfish.
    i have gone through all these stages and think i have-at my age-
    found a balance.
    i have accepted that i am a crossdresser and i am not ashamed of it and when i feel the need will present myself as such to society at large.
    there are many interresting facets to my life that are worth persuing=crossdressing is one of them.
    compulsion makes you a puppet on a string!i am to a large degree in charge of my life and destiny.
    finding a balance and harmony in all of this is a result of much soulsearching and would probably not have been possible with out going through all those stages.
    where has all the glamour gone?
    marlene dietrich is my idol

If it were a Hobby we wouldn't see "how can I quite ? " post all the time. I HATE the term lifestyle. To me it implies a choice and thats why the pin heads use it when talking about gays,lesbians and the rest of us. They want to belive we pick this "lifestyle" and should be free to just give it up.

Not a hobby...Not a lifestyle

[SIZE="3"]Just a part of of who i am[/SIZE]

Nothing more...Nothing less

Yeah, it's *just* a hobby for me. So is playing musical instruments. I haven't been a musician for as long as I've been a crossdresser but I have spent a lot more time and effort at it. I would give up crossdressing before I would give up music. And yes, I could quit crossdressing if I really felt it was necessary. I just can't think of a good reason. It causes me no problems. I gave up dope and alcohol 30 year ago and I quit cigarettes 22 years ago and, believe me, they had a lot greater hold on my psyche than crossdressing does. So, I know it can be done. Ultimately, it is a choice. Sure, I would miss it but, then again, I miss smoking cigarettes and getting high sometimes too. Crossdressing is just one way for me to express the feminine part of me. There are other ways to do that. The clothes don't make me who I am. I'm *me* whether I'm wearing girl clothes or guy clothes or nothing at all. I can't quit being me (and live), but I do ultimately have a choice over my actions, including what clothes I wear.

Quote Originally Posted by deborah jane View Post

i must agree with deborah on this. For me its just who I am.

Shoes, a woman's passion! debbeelee1's Avatar
    Hobbies do turn into passions with do turn into lifestyles!
    Hugs and kisses,
    Debbee!

little place called Delaware, southerly from Philly Pa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Simply a part of my being; who I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by deborah jane View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_M View Post
    i must agree with deborah on this. For me its just who I am.
    I'm in total agreement with Holly, Debroah jane, and Lisa on this. I'm so glad I finally accepted my fem side, I'm much better for doing so.

Crossdressing is not a lifestyle or a hobby. Crossdressing is the external expression through clothing of the femininity we feel internally. And yes you can feel your femininity without the feminine clothing.
    I love being "gender gifted"! www.pmpub.com

Banned Read only
    Neither hobby or lifestyle, Cding is an urge that nags at me un til satisfied it's for the most part short lived but strong stonger than anything I have ever encountered stonger than breaking a smokeing habit stronger than getting off of drugs. Interfers in my everday lifestyle of either regreting the fact I gave in or can't wait to go home and dress. it is haunting to say the less of maybe a split personality something or someone trying to get out of you breaking the shell and the ties that bind it from being kept at bay for to long because the tighter the lid the harder it blows.

Junior Member paula jessica rains's Avatar

this is who i realiy am jessica rains

jessica rains is who i am and if i had to i would become jessica rains only but i have an 9 year old daughter who knows me as her father paul so i am both and proud of it....................love jessica rains

I agree with those that said that it is who I am and who I want to be. I would be susan all the time if it wasn't for the love ones in my family. I enjoy being susan and being dressed in all the fine faminne clothes as much as I can. Which is most of the time lately.

Simply a compulsion i have to do it in some form or i am as ratty as hell , it is like asking me to stop breathing for 10 min , you can`t it is a natural thing so you have to do it .
    some will call it a cures but it is like being cursed with something wonderful, so maybe me should say a blessing that we have to bear.

joanne

joanne
    Last edited by Joanne f; 08-16-2008 at 02:47 PM.

Banned Read only
    Curse AND Blessing!

Melanie said what I would have said: "Crossdressing is the external expression through clothing of the femininity we feel internally."
    Now this obviously does not equate to either a hobby or a lifestyle. I've said before on these forums that it is like a second life for me. I need to be both Ruth and that guy. Neither of them is going to take over and neither is going to go away.
    Last edited by Ruth; 08-16-2008 at 03:26 PM. Reason: spelling
    [SIZE="2"]Always be true to yourself because the people who matter don’t mind, and the people who mind don’t matter.[/SIZE]

For many of us crossdressing is a compulsion. Many of us do not wish to describe it as an obsession or a compulsion and use the word 'hobby.' 'Hobby' is a nice non-threatening word and it implies that our compulsive behavior is voluntary.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    I suppose it CAN be a HOBBY.---- As i do it to Relax and Escape, it might not quite fit the category of a hobby, but i think I am turning it into one. The trick is "what do i do with it when dressed?"

I "collect" different looks and faces I create when I CD---or do a 'disguise' (many also MALE). I photograph them and past them in an album----I have a few of them in my Album on my profile page HERE.

Chryl's SO
    My SO and I have used the term hobby as a code word as well.