Thread: Dollars and 'Sense'

Dollars and 'Sense'

I've seen posts on here mentioning how much some earn or how much they spend on clothing, jewelry etc.

Whilst I am happy that they have a good lifestyle and can afford high cost items, please bear in mind that there are many on here that are not so fortunate. Posts about a 'cheap' outfit that 'only' costs $100+ could be seen to be taunting those that do not have access to such financial resources.

Please have a little consideration for others whilst composing such posts.
    Hugs,

Christi

I might be one of those to whom you are pointing fingers. Sorry you feel that way. Yes, I have the resources today, and I live a nice lifestyle, BUT to get there, I worked damned hard to do it.

Through most of my work career, I worked three jobs, I earned three college degrees, going to school part time while working full time. I attended seminars on effective investments. I did without so I could invest.

I have no guilt feelings on the nice lifestyle that I have today, because I earned it.

If you feel badly, get out there and get a second job or even a third job. Go back to school to futher your education. In simpler words--get off your butt and quit whining.

Jodi

It's all relative. To some people $100 is cheap. To others $10 is expensive.

Be assured the most expensive item of femme gear I've ever bought is $25. It looked great on the rack, but the amusing aspect is that I have hardly ever worn it. I put that against the $7 for a pair of trousers that was the only item of male clothing I've bought so far this year.

I like to stick around under $10. Trouble is that I keep doing it.

Jodi,
    I wasn't pointing fingers at anyone in particular....and BTW, I have a degree and a good, well paying job. I'm putting 2 kids through college with no loans so I'm not talking about me.

I'm talking about those less fortunate than either of us.

Sorry you viewed my post that way
    Hugs,

Christi

I spent a lot when I was first in that pink fog,,, before I knew what that was no mink coats etc but lots of stuff
    Now I enjoy a good find at a thrift shop,sort of helps justify buying things that dont get used that much.
    I do get the idea of your post tho,,times are tough now for a lot of us, and there is nothing wrong with sharing a story about something new, when done in good taste

Cindy

Platinum Member
    i am not impressed by those who do the look at me thing..... lol i can be happy spending a small fortune on something or that $0.25 yard sale jeans skirt i scored that i love .....

money don't matter it's not a game to impress others it's about being happy...........

I do alright for myself and family from a financial standpoint but I approach my girl purchases from two different points of view. First of all, I don't have unlimited closet space so I fill what I have with fewer nicer things rather than tons of cheap stuff. In doing so, I have learned much about fashion from a slightly different perspective. It becomes less about "a skirt, dress, top, pair of shoes or jeans" but rather about THE skirt, THE dress, THE PERFECT shoes, THE wonderful top or THE jeans, often with focus on a particular designer or label. Those who know my girl side in the real world know exactly what I'm talking about.

Then, I tend to find great deals. I am tickled to find something from a designer I adore at a price which is a fraction of full retail. So while I haven't chatted up any of my purchases more than once or twice (and I don't think I've done so in such a way to make me a target of this thread in the first place), I hope that if I do this in the future it won't be seen as gloating. Heck, I feel like we get a lot of heat just shopping at VS.

It's simply about my perspective on things. Some girls choose to come from the thrift store or Walmart angle, I CHOOSE something different. I'm not out to impress anyone except myself.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

I don't think I spend a TON of money, but I'm also not shy about spending what it takes to buy what I want.

I look at it this way... I get as much wear out of a dress or skirt (if not more) than a GG does since I'll wear one I like for hundreds of hours or more, while GG might only wear a purchase a few times before fashions change. Plus, every hour I spend in a skirt is an hour I'm NOT wearing out a pair of work pants... so they end up lasting me virtually forever

Also, I've spent a lot of time in thrift stores. For me (in this area) good finds are few and far between. So buying a nice skirt or dress for $35 is a much better use of my hard earned money than picking up a dozen worn out, stained out of fashion items at a thrift store that may or may not REALLY fit me correctly.

I have friends that spend thousands (or more) of dollars on hobbies that give them less pleasure than putting a skirt on gives me, so I see the total money I spend every year as well spent.

Everybody has their own philosphy about money and how best to spend it. For instance, I think buying a new car is a total waste of hard earned cash... but I'm not going to complain when somebody else decides that they must have the latest and 'greatest' SUV made or the latest 'must have' tech gadget.

I also spent 30 years working extra hours to pay down a mortgage on a house I now am close to owning free and clear, so now I have a mortgage that is less than what many people pay for a lease on a new car. Frankly, I don't think I have to avoid talking about things I buy so as to not "hurt anybody's feelings".
    Last edited by Cristi; 08-18-2008 at 09:39 PM.
    In a society in which it is a moral offense to be different from your neighbor your only escape is never to let them find out.
    -- Robert Heinlein

It really doesn't matter to me how much someone spends on clothing or whatever. As long as you're happy with what you bought, it's all good.
    I could easily spend $100, but it's number of items that I could buy with that $100 that matters to me. I always look for the deals and discounts so the more I can get for my money the better.
    There are some great deals out there so go out and help the economy!

Hugs!
    JoAnn

I love to see a beautiful woman in a nice dress, but then again, I also want to wear that dress.

I thought us girls were suppose to be consummate shoppers? I too make a decent wage but I am not averse to finding a bargain or two now and then. I’ve done well at consignment stores and probably the best bargains have been at places like Goodwill stores or e-bay. Unless I’m going to a job interview (doubtful) or the Prom (a girl can dream) I don’t care if the clothes are second hand.

I think it’s always what you do with what you got that’s important.

Happy Shopping

Coda...

Smile

IMHO it's always more interesting to take about quality, cuteness/coolness, and how well the clothes work on us.

Discussion about $$$ sort of makes my eyes glaze over. You can spend $$$ and not get good stuff and also spend $ and get great stuff...

Unlike Jodi, I've never been driven by a desire to be financially "successful". My career was fulfilling for the most part, and provided my family with a comfortable, if not extravagant lifestyle.

Yes, I've made a few femme purchases of $100 or more, "just had to have" things, but they are very much the exceptions. I tend not to spend more than $30 these days on any item because...

1. Having grown up during the depression years, I have a deeply ingrained habit of looking for bargains

2. I keep buying new stuff constantly, so things get discarded relatively quickly.

3. The need to keep my spending under the radar of my non supportive spouse.

And, Jodi, while I'm hardly rich, I'm quite content with my life, and don't whine much...

Mitzi

Well, unless someone else posts while i'm typing it looks like I am the trailerpark representative for now. I survive okay on my 25,000 per year income, but it does make me have to shuffle finances to get a twenty dollar pair of shoes. My kids shoes look like they'll last untill at least january so I should be good to go. I don't see someone who says "I spent $100 on a shirt" as insulting. I see it as inspiring. That is why I'm going to school at night. I don't want to have to sweat when I open my electric bill anymore. I don't have $100 dollars to spend on anything except gas for my car (and that one day I forgot to turn my air conditioner off). That is no reason to begrudge someone who can drop a hundred dollar bill and not think it's worth chasing after. I am in the situation I am now because of poor choices in my younger years. With the excpetion of my divorce, the fault is all mine, not the fault of those with ambition and motivation and drive.

Reward yourself the best you can.
    Remember: You are unique. Just like veryone else

I never understand why someone need to tell others what they spend on something I don't care if one spends $1 or $250 on something. Just say you got this or that maybe show a pic of it and let it go at that. I can't spent like that and it don't bother me If someone can.
    Angie