Thread: Are You Going To Play Dress Up ?

Are You Going To Play Dress Up ?

The salesgirl at the thrift store asked me as she was ringing up the clothes I had selected “Are You Going To Play Dress Up? “ She did not mean an insult by asking me but said not many guys buy women’s clothes from her. It got me thinking it only all of this were that simple. After purchasing my first pack of women’s briefs three years ago after much thought, I would still start this all again. Things feel so right to me now accepting Jolene as a part of me but still being Joel to everyone else in my life feels strange sometimes. I have a large wardrobe now and would buy it all again. I am so thankful for all of you here on this site to give me support with a lonely life as a CD. I have only started a few threads here and I do post to other threads here sometimes but I usually just sit back, relax and enjoy all the good company here.
    Thanks
    Jolene

I feel a nice wig is in order.

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    Doesn't seem like it phases you at all

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by darla_g View Post
    Doesn't seem like it phases you at all
    Thanks Darla.
    It would be so nice to just go out wearing whatever I wanted but the world is not that way.

"Are you going to play dress up?" You should've said, "Yeah, you want to join me?"
    Last edited by Tamara Croft; 08-21-2008 at 11:33 PM. Reason: ....

My reply. Yes, I can't wait.

I was buying a skirt in sears drab when an older check out lady said to me
    did you try it on its a final sale .She court me of guard I didnt know what to say. I had another check out lady say to me after buying another skirt
    enjoy . unless its christmas ( real men dont buy womens clothes )
    I think its easyer to buy when en femme even if they read you

I have had a lot of fun telling store clerks that I am a crossdresser. If they make any comment on my purchases I say, "I just can't wait to put it on."
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Jolene, that's so cute!

If my daughter ever finds out about my CDing, that's what I'm going to tell her.
    " Honey, I was just playing dress-up. Just the same as u do. Because u made it look like such fun!"
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    If my daughter ever finds out about my CDing, that's what I'm going to tell her.
    " Honey, I was just playing dress-up. Just the same as u do. Because u made it look like such fun!"
    I am sure you are just kidding hun. But if your not please reconsider using "you" when talking to your daughter. It makes it sound as if she hadn't dressed you would not either. And that would not be fair to her. As I said I am sure your kidding but if not please think about so you do not upset your daughter.

Tiffany
    no matter how much love we have, we can not feel it if we are not happy inside

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy ****, what a ride!",author unknown

Women to me are gods greatest forms of beauty and art in motion.

Should have told hre you were dressing up but not playing.
    Angie

Smile

Thanks to all of you for the nice posts to my thread. As crossdressers we all have to have thick skins at times. In my case I do not consider it dress up but to dress in my fem clothes brings me to a place where I find comfort and where I feel I belong.
    Jolene

I would have told her yes, I am going to wear them. I have even shown pictures of me dressed to the sales girls at Goodwill, they though it was my twin and not me.
    Ladies have a GREAT time!
    Smile GOD LOVES you!!!
    GOD BLESS US ALL!!!
    AMY Hepker

ROSES ARE RED
    VIOLETS ARE BLUE
    I'LL BE ME
    AND YOU BE YOU

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    I've had really bad experiences at Goodwill, including SA constantly trying to redirect me to the men's dept. For the most part shopping hasn't been too big a deal

Hi Jolene,

Quote Originally Posted by Jolene View Post
    The salesgirl at the thrift store asked me as she was ringing up the clothes I had selected “Are You Going To Play Dress Up? “
    Just curious, what did you say?

Recently when a SA asked me "these are not for you are they?" When I said "yes", she asked me again. She couldn't believe I was admitting I was buying them for myself, I guess.

I do enjoy the interaction when they ask me, as long as they are not being mean.

PS. I love your name.
    Joni

"Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free" Bob Dylan

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goofus View Post
    "Are you going to play dress up?" You should've said, "Yeah, you want to join me?"
    Good one, more fun with two!

Smile

It is all a part of the learning curve dealing with others who do not understand us. I could not really think of anything to say when she had asked me if I were going to play dress up but all of you have given me some good ideas.
    Thanks to all of you here for being my friends and my support group.
    Jolene

Hi Jolene,I've had SA's make remarks something like that to me. And as far as buying a wig is concerned there's nothing more out of the closet than a wig store. Thay make no bones or pretense in the first place that you're a CD shopping for yourself and they will ask you point blank if you will be wearing it out or if you would like to try it on or would you like a fitting for the right size!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha B L View Post
    Hi Jolene,I've had SA's make remarks something like that to me. And as far as buying a wig is concerned there's nothing more out of the closet than a wig store. Thay make no bones or pretense in the first place that you're a CD shopping for yourself and they will ask you point blank if you will be wearing it out or if you would like to try it on or would you like a fitting for the right size!

Well at least I would know for sure it would fit me.
    Jolene

Me, Myself & Rachael Rachaelb64's Avatar
    Let's face most SA have seen most things when it comes to shopping and probably can stop the your average CDer face the confussed husband/boyfriend
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Life is to short so enjoy it to the full

:

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.

Today is a good day to Dress!

Smile

I forget to mention this before but at the Salvation Army store the lady at the checkout said I had found some nice things and has given me a punch card when filled will be good for five dollars off.
    I seem to run into a bit of everything when out shopping.
    Jolene

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Alice B View Post
    My reply. Yes, I can't wait.
    [SIZE="3"]Would have joined you.

Gennee
    [/SIZE]

I'm getting better with age. I may have started late, but better late than never!

"Don't let anyone define who you are".

Quote Originally Posted by Jolene View Post
    Thanks Darla.
    It would be so nice to just go out wearing whatever I wanted but the world is not that way.
    I used to feel this way too, and I have gone for a long time (decades) feeling lost and lonely in my CDing. Then I found this forum and it helped me immensely to accept myself, to accept Linnea, and to feel much more comfortable going out dressed just as I please. And it pleases me to go out en femme. I still have issues related to friends and family, but when I have the opportunity away from home and hometown, I feel increasingly comfortable as Linnea. Linnea likes to dress up! Or take a swim! Or go shopping! And I'm so happy that she does.
    I hope that you will find a way to achieve the satisfaction you seek and "go out wearing whatever [you] want."
    warmly, Linnea

I've only had one stranger actually ASK me about my dressing. She was polite about it and just curious, so I answered her honestly.

I was checking out (buying a purse) at a department store fully dressed on Halloween. She must have gotten the idea that it was more than just a 'costume' so she asked me if I'd mind if she asked me a personal question.

When I told her to go ahead, She asked "Do you dress like this every day, or just for halloween".

At the time, I WAS only dressing for halloween, not comfortable going out yet... but I answered her that "I only dress for halloween now, but it is more than a 'costume'. I just don't feel safe going out on other days".

She smiled, thanked me for answering a personal question, then went back to ringing up my purchase.
    In a society in which it is a moral offense to be different from your neighbor your only escape is never to let them find out.
    -- Robert Heinlein

Maybe this is why women are more accepting of crossdressing then men.

Because to women, "playing dress up" is fun for men.

Just like real girls saying it is fun to experiment with makeup.
    Whenever I have worn a skirt in male mode, there have never been any issues at all.

Banned Read only
    I think you're right, Emma.

Long time SAs, especially in thrift shops, have no doubt seen many of us. And whether we're obviously lying or upfront with them, nervous or confident, they've figured out that we're pretty harmless. In fact, realizing that we are really vulnerable at times like that, they'll also have no fear of us.

When I've been shopping as what's-his-name, I've been as pleasant and polite as I possibly could be in asking for help for myself. The SA often actually becomes somewhat enthusiastic in helping. I've made her day really, with an unusual experience that'll give her something to chat about with the other girls during their coffee breaks.

It makes it a pleasurable experience for me and an educational experience for them. Even if you just can't go shopping en femme yet, be up front with the sales staff. It'll be worth it and it'll help you build your own confidence, too.