Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mountain? Or mole hill?

Ingredient: 100% Attitude DemonicDaughter's Avatar

Mountain? Or mole hill?

It never ceases to amaze me that humans feel the need to categorize everything. Everything must have a label, a reason, a cute little box with a bright ribbon on top (color coded of course) all to explain our little "problems". But what if its "just is"? What if there is no explanation? What if there is no medical condition to explain it? No psychological explanation of preset criteria as to why we do the things we do?

It seems to sit and analyze everything takes more time than it does to either enjoy it or deal with it. If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, figure out a way to deal with it. If you can't deal with it, then move on to what you can deal with.

For all that I read on these forums about CDing, I could easily substitute the word art in and find myself nodding in agreement. But because I'm an artist, the collective "they" chalk all I do up to that single fact. "She's eccentric because she's an artist." "All artists are moody like that." So on and so forth.

Yet because CDing isn't considered "normal", everyone seems to want to come to the why, where and what-makes-you. As if coming to any "logical explanation" would ever "cure" it. Like its something as simple as never letting your son sleep in the bed with you as a child to ensure he won't grow up to be a crossdresser or something ridiculous like that!

How about... that's just the way you are? How about, that's life? Why not learn to enjoy it? Embrace it?

Life is far too short for all this analytical crap!

I'm me. I accept me. You're you. I accept you. What you do doesn't harm me unless I let it. So why should it bother me? I don't.

Okay people... I'm done ranting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [SIZE="3"]"We're all born naked. Everything we wear is drag," said Boy George
    [/SIZE]

It is a very human trait to attempt to define things by associating them with other things that are in our experiences. Artists are eccentric, engineers are dull, blue collar workers are dim witted, politicans are crooks, crossdressers are gay. It is an easy way to look at things and allows one to look at the world without having to resort to thinking.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

Member having fun. Sophia de la luz's Avatar
    And yet, things have names, or names have things. So it goes on snowing.

I couldn't agree more DD. There is no one reason, even though we sometimes think out loud and ask why. Better to enjoy it like you say or just shrug our shoulders, accept it and move on to the next thing, especially if there is nothing to be done because it's just the way we are. Successful people can turn a perceived disadvantge into an advantage anyway and use it as a learning tool.

Kind of reminds me of all the hoopla about these hurricanes. We track them, analyze the crap out of them but in the end there is not a damn thing we can do about them. They are going to do what they are going to do. All we can do is endure and hope for the best. If they do damage, we pick up the pieces and start over. That is what true survivors do. Are we survivors or victims? Only each of us individually can answer that question.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I am NOT a junior sob sob Edwina's Avatar
    Well said DD and Arianna. After reading many posts on this forum I have come to a similar conclusion. I am me and I have no idea why, but I am not trying to find answers any more.

Edwina

DD,

I could not have ranted any better myself. For years I had a hang-up about my cd'ing because I painted myself out of some imaginary box. Then I accepted myself and my life is so more enjoyable.

Gotta go because I'm busy having fun making up for lost time.

Babette

As Popeye said, I am what I am. I'm not going to change being transgendered so either people accept it, consign me to hell or ignore it.

I like the way you think DD.

Life is what it is. Accept and enjoy it while yoiu can.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

They call me quiet girl.. Sarah...'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonicDaughter View Post

Yes, indeed! Apart from which it's all such hard work!!

Going shopping now...

Sarah...

Hey DD, I love your posts. You just keep ranting girl. I heard this a while back, " today you are you, that is truer than true, there is no one alive who is youer than you " dr. suess xo Toots

Good rant DD I feel I'm me I CD and don't need the why do I or care why I'm happy and that's all I need know.
    Angie

Many things in life cannot be controlled, other people and their actions, inner feelings though some will never express these. Many more that cannot be explained. So I am trying to live in the moment, day by day.
    May the stars carry your sadness away,
    May the flowers fill your heart with beauty,
    May hope forever wipe away your tears,
    And, above all, may silence make you strong.

Chief Dan George

Well said D D.

Platinum Member
    you know DD........... i have seen and dealt with the people that claim to be normal .... and i want nothing to do with them...........

my thing that i can't understand is person's right here that are closed minded be what ever they might go by can't get it we are people all of us none better than the next... and if your feelings get hurt .... be mined ful of others so you take care to think about the person's feelings your about to stomp on..............

DD i like your thinking and i don't think what you do for a living makes you..... you..... your you because your awake and alive with all thing around you.............

Yay DD!
    I totally agree, there's been times while discussing CDing with a Cd'er that they were trying to explain the need to me. I just say that I figure it's so ingrained in that person that it's like their eye color. You can change it temporarily but you are only covering up the true essence of the person.
    Accept yourself, embrace yourself, enjoy yourself!

P.S. I HATE boxes, don't ever try to put me in one.
    Find me on Facebook. I'm Princess Pink!

How about... that's just the way you are? How about, that's life? Why not learn to enjoy it? Embrace it?
    I'm me. I accept me. You're you. I accept you. What you do doesn't harm me unless I let it. So why should it bother me? I don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheena Rue View Post
    Yay DD!
    I totally agree, there's been times while discussing CDing with a Cd'er that they were trying to explain the need to me. I just say that I figure it's so ingrained in that person that it's like their eye color. You can change it temporarily but you are only covering up the true essence of the person.
    Accept yourself, embrace yourself, enjoy yourself!

P.S. I HATE boxes, don't ever try to put me in one.
    Well said ladies can't agree more I feel it is a gift
    It is a part of you.... be proud....celebrate being yourself!
    So many have such angst over it makes me sad
    If you are a Genetic Female (Female at Birth) and would like to join us in the F.A.B. Forum, please follow the link.

F.A.B. Forum Access

Sherlyn,My beautiful sweet girl
    You forever and always will be my one and only true love . ❤️

Administrator

OMG what a GREAT post! I can't imagine adding any thing to that - it is just perfect as it stands.

The way I see it is labels and boxes are mental tools that help us deal with the world. If we had to treat every blade of grass as a separate entity the mental effort needed to deal with the world would be overwhelming. The problem is that it just doesn't work very well with people. In one sense, it's not surprising that crossdressers can't be categorized into neat little packages. It doesn't really work with anybody. It especially doesn't work with people who defy convention to the point of wearing clothing of the opposite sex.

In other words, I agree completely!
    Lotsa Hugs,

--Pam

Banned Read only battybattybats's Avatar
    The weirdest thing for me has been facing the reality that I suppressed this side of myself without acknowledging that I was doing it when I've always been so terribly fiercely independant.

I still don't even know why but I recall struggling with gender rules issues when I was a very young kid.

So I don't even know why it became such an issue when I've always been happy being different in plenty of other ways.

But for many it must be even harder with so much of the culture we in the western world have grown up in preaching conformity as important and that crossdressing is wrong.

So for me it's a matter of challenging these ingrained nonsensical issues with the same clear intelligent logic you put forward in your eloquent post
    DD!

You are most thoroughly right!

There is nothing wrong with what we do and that is all the justification we should ever need!

Mole hill

The human brain is designed to organize things and provide some order to the world. Humans simply cannot live long in a truly chaotic environment. The real question is can we allow certain looseness in our categories (boxes as you put it) so that variations within the spectrum are not simply rejected. Most people can allow this, but others have to have rigid walls to cope with their insecurities.

On the other hand people like us are forced to make room for greater variations simply because we ourselves dont fit neatly into any of the provided categories and we learn (however slowly) that it is better to make allowances.

It is impossible to totally block this very human process of categorization, since it is wired into our brains.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

Ingredient: 100% Attitude DemonicDaughter's Avatar
    I don't care why I'm the way I am. I could blame society, my parents, my childhood, my accident, the area I grew up in, teachers, pets, the color of the rug in the livingroom of my aunt's house... but it doesn't change who I am to find out the reason why.

I think learning how you progressed in life is interesting. I think the workings of the human mind are fascinating. But when we get to the point of trying to pinpoint every action's cause... well that's where you spend more time analyzing and less time living.

I have no desire to stick a psychosis label on cding. It simply is. I was born with gray eyes (using the gorgeous Sheena's example). Sure I could find out the scientific reason behind it, but it doesn't change their color.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [SIZE="3"]"We're all born naked. Everything we wear is drag," said Boy George
    [/SIZE]

Boxes and labels are for stuff, not people. It's convenient to be able to quickly find our sewing notions, recipes, cleaning supplies, personal papers and so on. But people are dynamic. always growing, always changing. We don't stay the same so it is rather pointless to slap on a label. Even as we live our daily lives, we assume different roles and responsibilities... partner, parent (and/or child), employer/employee, shopper, dancer, adviser, and so on. Trying to put a label on a person, any person, would be like putting everything you owned into a box and trying to label what is inside of it... it would become so cumbersome as to be useless. If anyone wants to put a label on me, just make it read, "HH"... Happy Human (could also read Happy Holly).
    Last edited by Holly; 09-06-2008 at 11:36 AM.
    Fulltime girl on the inside.
    Lipstick=confidence

[SIZE=4]Holly[/SIZE]

I don't care why I'm the way I am.
    Absolutely right! It's hard enough to figure out who we are, and even if we did know why, it wouldn't change anything anyway.
    Lotsa Hugs,

--Pam

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    I'm me. I accept me. You're you. I accept you. What you do doesn't harm me unless I let it. So why should it bother me?
    What a fantastic attitude! If more people followed this philosophy we'd have so much more harmony in the world - DD, you're truly a beautiful person! I've never met you but I love you already!
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

I'm wishing to be her SANDRA MICHELLE's Avatar

mountain or mole hill

I am a rectangular shape trying to fit into a round hole!!! I am who I am and that is good enough for me. I love your post's and you should keep ranting on. the lines of normallcy have been blurred, and thats a good thing. The sooner they get totally out of focus is what we are all looking forward to.