Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you been asked why by shop assistants

Have you been asked why by shop assistants

When you've been out shopping either en femme or in drab, have any shop assistants asked you why you dress?

What has been your answer, and has it lead to a friendly discussion with advice from them on what to look for in the store?

Joanne

I haven't gotten there yet.
    Angie

Usually not at first, but one I have known for a while (she sells make-up) has asked me a lot of questions. I told her that , first of all, I enjoy doing it. I feel comfortable and relaxed when I am Kristen. It's more of a natural dialog rather than a Q & A You will find the right words.
    Kristen

There have been some amusing moments with shop assistants, both male and female.

Usually, the "Helpful" shop assistant says loudly (in front of other people) "These are women's shoes", or jeans, shorts, skirt, skort, etc. I just smile and say 'Thank you."

There are private fitting rooms for trying on clothing, so no one is watching.
    When buying shoes or boots, though, it is all out in the open. Many was the time, at a shoe sale, when I was elbow to armpit with a crowd of women, digging out bargain footwear, and trying them on in front of an audience.

But nobody in a store, neither customer nor employee, ever engaged me in a discussion about why I dress.

Last evening, however, at the Karaoke bar, several women wanted to talk about my dressing. "Do you like boys or girls?" I was asked. "How do you expect to pick up women in that spandex outfit?" "Why are you dressed like that?"

"Girls," I answered. "Depends on how heavy they are." "So women can admire my legs."

Most of the women who offered comments were complimentary. They said they liked my legs, fingernail polish, earrings, and stiletto boots.

The referee's shirt, from the sporting goods store, also attracted attention, without being controversial. I am a guy who sedulously avoids controversy.
    Last edited by Magickman; 09-13-2008 at 07:39 AM.

You know sometimes it is so funny the looks you get or peoples mouth just drop and don't know what to say.
    Do you know her size? yes I know MY size as it's for me.
    I had a very young lady yesterday in wal mart try to help me with stockings and when I told her they were for me thank you she almost died from shock. Live is full of fun

Smile

In the end all we are doing is buying clothes. It would be nice if more people would understand us but it is nice to hear that some here have had positive experences.

Jolene

Other than compliments on my tastes in womens clothing all they ask me is "Cash or Credit?". Lol
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Gold Member
    whether I am asking for help with something or just paying for what I found, I have never been asked anything about my CD'ing. Of course I make it a point to not make conversation with the cashier.
    I think for me tho is some people think I look like a psycho, so I don't get bothered a whole lot anyways.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Quote Originally Posted by joanne51 View Post
    When you've been out shopping either en femme or in drab, have any shop assistants asked you why you dress?

What has been your answer, and has it lead to a friendly discussion with advice from them on what to look for in the store?

Joanne
    I've never been asked why I dress,but I have been told,"they will look good on you,and be careful don't forget where you live".
    Drink up me heartys,yo ho!

Kate

I was making a purchase of several blouses and skirts at a local upscale store when the 60ish SA smiled at me and asked if I was sure these were the right size. She did this in a non threatening tone and I just smiled and said that if they weren't I'd bring them back. She wished me luck and told me not to lose my sales receipt. No big deal and because of that I have purchased a ton of stuff from that store even though I could get pretty much the same things cheaper elsewhere.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar

never the next step

I have, to this point, always shopped in drab, with or without my wife. Mostly when my wife is present the sales people never seem to help, but when buying shoes, it's pretty clear when I go to one size area and she goes to another, so I have had SAs ask, "as these for you?". When I say yes all they want to do is help more!

What fun!

tina

not why

not why but if you say its for you they offer all sorts of help

Ever been asked why???

I've been asked about my dressing a couple of times, and always when I was in drab. The early morning checkout clerk at a local Wal-Mart rang up some cosmetics before realizing those were followed by some pantyhose, a matching bra and panty set then a long sweater I thought I could use as a dress. Without skipping a beat she told me that the sweater would go great with my eyes and said I should make sure I wore a slip underneath it all. I thanked her and told her I would. I also got read rather quickly at a small lingerie shop a number of years ago and those questions grew into a pretty nice friendship that lasted until I moved away. It makes it a lot easier when they know what you are into and a lot more enjoyable when you know they understand.

Since I am a very loyal customer of a particular chain of boutiques, I've had honest conversations with some of the various SA's since they kind of know me better than the average customer who might come in once or twice, then disappear. For the most part each one had demonstrated a tremendous degree of acceptance which was only enhanced by our subsequent conversations about this whole tg thing.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

I've never been asked but when they start with a question about sizes, I mention that it is for me. Most of the SA's go on as professionally as you would expect. Nobody has yet asked me why or how. I do dream about meeting an understanding woman and hoping a friendship develops that way.
    Rachel Denise

[SIZE="2"]“One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. ‘Which road do I take?’ she asked. His response was a question: “Where do you want to go?’ ‘I don’t know,’ answered Alice. ‘Then,’ said the cat, ‘it doesn’t matter.' "
    - Lewis Carroll
    [/SIZE]

quiet girl in lingerie Jennifer Soames's Avatar
    I went shopping for Lingerie yesterday and got to the store at 8:30am. It is a small outlet store and there are about 3 others, and I had been there before. I was greeted with a big smile and the SA said she remembered me. We selected some outfits and chatted and she put me into a dressing room and bought over other lingerie she thought I might like. After a while and several female customers browsing she came and got me (all clear)and we chatted for about 10 minutes. She told me all of the other staff were cool with CD and that they had some very long standing CD clients.

I purchased a very sheer Cami and matching panties. She said she hoped I enjoyed them and I asked if the other stores in the chain were as accepting. She said she did not know but that over the years many men came in and she felt people are just people and very few of people understood themselves. She sought of finished the converstaion with a just be who you are.

People close to you look for the why, people you dont know well, such as SA, generally look to thier needs and that is to sell. women you meet in a bar are out for entertainment and I guess a CD can be very entertaining. None of what I have said makes these people good or bad but simply humans living thier life.

These are my thoughts and experience.

Jenny

[SIZE="4"]I have been fortunate enough not to have had a rude sales clerk / cashier experience. The only shopping for woman's attire that I have not attempted is being fitted for a bra. Until the hormones have done their job (if ever), I will purchase my pocket bras (for silicone breast forms) on-line.

Older Andrea[/SIZE]

I,ve only ever shopped in drab so far and apart from the occasional joke with SAs, i,ve never been asked it was for me.

I have never had a rude sales assistant or dressing room attendant, but I have been asked a couple of times whether I was aware that I had a ladies dress to try on.

One time though, I took a couple of young girls by surprise at the change rooms, dropped jaws and wide eyes etc. I heard one of them get on the phone to someone whilst I was in the change rooms. A minute later I heard an older lady (assuming she was part of managememt) come over and say to the girls, no problem at all - happens all the time.

My turn to drop the jaw - must be more common than I thought!

i love being a woman maid phylis's Avatar

Smile buying my clothes

in all the shops that i bought my female clothing i was never asked why i was buying this clothing.first of all when i went in to the shop i told the sales girls that the clothing was for me.then they asked me what i was looking for and if it was lingerie i told them that i was looking for bras,they then showed me the brand i was looking for and then i asked if i could try them on.no problem and they showed me to the changing room and they even helped me with the straps .girdles were the same and i was able to try them on and i was always wellcomed when i returned again.to me this is just be up front with them and they will not ask why and they will help you in your sales. phylisanne

Quote Originally Posted by Tasha-CD View Post
    I have never had a rude sales assistant or dressing room attendant, but I have been asked a couple of times whether I was aware that I had a ladies dress to try on.

One time though, I took a couple of young girls by surprise at the change rooms, dropped jaws and wide eyes etc. I heard one of them get on the phone to someone whilst I was in the change rooms. A minute later I heard an older lady (assuming she was part of managememt) come over and say to the girls, no problem at all - happens all the time.

My turn to drop the jaw - must be more common than I thought!
    Haha that reminds me of a funny story from my younger years. My friends 'convinced' me to try on a prom dress at a Macy's in the mall one time, and they gave me a bunch of girl's clothing to try on, then I got paranoid and thought they were watching you so I stopped, and when I came out these women gave me this really weird look when I was carrying all the girls' clothes lol. But now I know better, I was just paranoid when I was younger.

And no, one salesperson has asked me why I dress, they've just been very kind to me
    Princess by day, Sheika by night.

I'm too shy to engage in conversation and no one has asked me about my clothing purchases. I can shop for womens clothes pretty easily but am shy when approached for assistance. I usually just say I'm just looking and politely say thank you!

I am also shy in shopping in a small boutique or a lingerie only store. I usually shop in Target, or a main store at the Mall like a JC Penney's or Macy's.

I have bought a dress at Ann Taylor Loft but would certainly not ask to try it on. I just make sure I get one size larger!

emmi

I have never been asked why.

Have had sa's ask me whether I would like to try something on.

I get them asking whether I am ok. I always say fine thanks, especially if I am just browsing.
    Whenever I have worn a skirt in male mode, there have never been any issues at all.

Silver Member victoriamwilliams1's Avatar
    I have not had that happen to me. I have been called sir once while dressed! In my opinion that is a inappropriate question unless you reveal yourself.

Yes, many times. I love it! Just wish one of them would take me home........