Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Civil War Re-enactment

Question Civil War Re-enactment

Have any of you ladies ever considered or participated in a Civil War Re-enactment dressed in period dress, such as a southern belle? I think this would be fun. Another option may be a Renaissance Faire dressed as a bar wench or chambermaid. These may be other options for dress, beside the standard Halloween costume party.

Have a pretty day!
    Integrity is not a random event. It is ones' goal for a lifetime

Margo Paulse

Aspiring Member
    I think my first choice would be an old west saloon girl dress, but a Scarlett O'Hara dress would run a close second.

Aspiring Member

fantasy:

im with you girl, what a trip that would be, dressed,getting paid? and a thrill taboot!!!

Queen of the Faery Realms Bethany_Anne_Fae's Avatar
    I know a few who have done so for Civil war, but its not recommended unless you blend in really well. Most of these events are full of good-ol-boys that can make for a pretty cold reception if the word gets out.

I do a lot of renaissance faires here in the south and by far its a lot easier to blend in and its not a big deal at all if you happen to be outed. Last january, I got to play Queen Anne Boleyn for a day and it was extremely gratifying

*hugs*
    Zarabeth

Aspiring Member

weeeee

talk about a garter-belt situation!! omg, as they say.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Costumes;

Any where, any time, for any reason! As long as your fem and safe, GO FOR IT!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Yeah.... crossdressing around a bunch of guys with guns... loaded or not would be about like going into Cabela's efemme... lol Though I have tried on skirts in Cabelas...
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

I've have thought about the Civil War events. Then I realized the enemy would have me blind folded, tied to a post, and then shot for a spy. They might even use the real bullets too.

Babette

I went with Teresa Amina a couple of times to Civil War meets, while she was all dressed in her finery. One lady who sold period clothes, was more than happy to talk to her. I was glad for Teresa that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Babette View Post
    I've have thought about the Civil War events. Then I realized the enemy would have me blind folded, tied to a post, and then shot for a spy. They might even use the real bullets too.

Babette
    I dunno, based on that avatar, I'll bet with the right period clothing you'd do well at an event

Zara

Along these lines I also recommend any of the Dickens period reenactments that go on in various parts of the country. Lots n lots of victorian, eduardian, and such to look at. I love wearing a bustle dress.
    Absolutely yum!
    There are also fantasy conventions all over the US, Faery-cons, Medieval faires, and other genres to look into if you'd like to get your girl on.

*hugs*

Zara
    Last edited by Di; 09-14-2008 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zarabeth View Post
    I dunno, based on that avatar, I'll bet with the right period clothing you'd do well at an event

Zara
    Thank you Zara. Maybe by the time I work up the nerve, I'll be an old woman and they will have mercy on me.

I've been to several reenactments and they look like a lot of fun to do.

Babette

Quote Originally Posted by Babette View Post
    I've been to several reenactments and they look like a lot of fun to do.

Babette
    I can say first hand that they are indeed a LOT of fun! I prefer Renaissance/Faery more than anything else because there is a literal MAGIC there that I don't get at the CW enactments. I think that is mostly because everything related to those is highly period based and not so much improv performance based.
    Theres a level of energy when you perform for a crowd that is indescribable either enfemme or en drab

Go to one and give it a try! You won't regret it, girls!

*hugs*

Zarabeth

Shoes, a woman's passion! debbeelee1's Avatar
    We are truck drivers and last week drove by a Civil War Re-enactment in Texas. I thought it would be too risky and lot's of good ole boys as Zarabeth mentioned! The Renaissance Fair, I think, would be the thing to do!
    Hugs and kisses,
    Debbee!

but the shoes?

i would love to have a complete set of clothes from the civil war period and one for a western prarie period - 1900. the problem is to find appropriate shoes. I wear a size 13 wide lady's. Any suggestions about where to find these?

Thanks
    JC
    JC

the guy that plays dress up and that has the best wife in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    i would love to have a complete set of clothes from the civil war period and one for a western prarie period - 1900. the problem is to find appropriate shoes. I wear a size 13 wide lady's. Any suggestions about where to find these?

Thanks
    JC
    There is a seller on Ebay who specializes in ladies footwear from that time period. His boots go fro around $100, and he special orders as well. Take a look under Granny boots in your search and you'll see them.

*hugs*
    Zara

If you are into sewing, there are lots of civil war patterns available including corsets. I have found full petticoats fun to wear around the house (but you have to be careful on the stairs), and i would love to wear them to an event. They don't have guns at a Renaissance Faire, do they?

I do SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) and have a number of costumes ranging from appx 800 to 1600+ from different culturs/locations (English, French, Norse, Irish, etc)

The SCA is a very accepting group. And while it has very lax rules regarding authenticity many of us do actual research and make historically accurate garb. Now if I could only find other SCAers who are also trans (of any flavor) and lovers of history.

No real interest in civil war stuff, and I am not really a fan of the ren faire scene. Too little history and too many fantasy hedonist pirates on acid for my tastes.
    Last edited by SabrinaDubh; 09-14-2008 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Yeah.... crossdressing around a bunch of guys with guns...
    Yeah, what Karen said! I would LOVE to do such a thing, but as Karen and others pointed out, this would perhaps not be the best group when looking for acceptance.

I used to do French and Indian War reenactments,I was with a group of reenactors called Rogers Rangers.
    Drink up me heartys,yo ho!

Kate

I used to do WW2 Soviet reenacting. I couldn't imagine trying to get away with CD'ing in that part of the hobby. It was hard enough to get GG's to do it. The one army in WW2 that had women under arms, and no takers.

I have evil thoughts about creating a generic 40's European hausfrau impression and showing up at Indiantown Gap. Getting in wouldn't be a problem. I know a couple of vendors that set up there, and one of them has the same twisted sense of humor that I have. I wouldn't try to go on the battlefield, but just do the after hours social stuff.

BTW, there is one sutler in CW that has transitioned.

Katrina

Quote Originally Posted by punkduckmargot View Post
    No real interest in civil war stuff, and I am not really a fan of the ren faire scene. Too little history and too many fantasy hedonist pirates on acid for my tastes.
    It depends on which faires you go to for the "history" part. Most people attending Renfaires aren't there so much for the history as they are to be simply entertained.

As for the acid pirates, I havent encountered them yet, but I get your drift.

Zara

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Lynn View Post
    I used to do French and Indian War reenactments,I was with a group of reenactors called Rogers Rangers.
    I know some of them! Though they don't know me I do some of the F&I reenacting as well mostly up in NY near Ticonderoga. A lot of great people in the varied groups I've interacted with over the years.

Zara

I would really love too.
    Ladies have a GREAT time!
    Smile GOD LOVES you!!!
    GOD BLESS US ALL!!!
    AMY Hepker

ROSES ARE RED
    VIOLETS ARE BLUE
    I'LL BE ME
    AND YOU BE YOU

Banned Read only
    Western Upstate NY, on a Lake Ontario city

Done the Saloon Girl costume, almost every year

Quote Originally Posted by nvlady View Post
    I think my first choice would be an old west saloon girl dress, but a Scarlett O'Hara dress would run a close second.
    Here's my Saloon girl costume i wear almost every halloween>
    Megan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes, I definitely recommend the Renaissance faire option. The first entry under "Renaissance faire stories" in my website below tells of my first experience in a wench outfit.