Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Civil War Re-enactment

Count me in for anything Elizabethan,Edwardian,Victorian or 1700's. Civil war reenactments sound interesting but surely they are full of good old boys as a couple of you have pointed out. So that's probably better if you're passable.

Quote Originally Posted by punkduckmargot View Post
    I do SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) and have a number of costumes ranging from appx 800 to 1600+ from different culturs/locations (English, French, Norse, Irish, etc)

The SCA is a very accepting group. And while it has very lax rules regarding authenticity many of us do actual research and make historically accurate garb. Now if I could only find other SCAers who are also trans (of any flavor) and lovers of history.

No real interest in civil war stuff, and I am not really a fan of the ren faire scene. Too little history and too many fantasy hedonist pirates on acid for my tastes.
    Well that used to be me. Not that I participated en-fem. I spent 14 years playing and fighting in the SCA and still have many people I consider friends who do. If you have never made it to Pennsic you should try. The Blue feather ball is a blast for crossdressers. I spent a year following royalty around, and since my wife was close to the queen I assisted her the most. I ended up adopting the nickname of "World's ugliest lady in waiting". I nearly dressed for her last event but I chickened out.

I have gone to the big Jackson, MI, Civil War event and also a timeline event near Toledo, OH (pictures somewhere in the archives here). No Problema, but I'm sure the more common small events might be uncomfortable for a first time out. Pick a big one with hundreds of attendees open to the public and relax; there is safety in numbers regardless of how well you pass.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by matrioshka View Post
    I used to do WW2 Soviet reenacting
    I have all my sovietski equipment (including my recently acquired sniper Nagant) and will test the waters somewhere next year. Maybe we should put on a tranny reenactment up here in the Russia-like northwoods
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa Amina View Post
    I have all my sovietski equipment (including my recently acquired sniper Nagant) and will test the waters somewhere next year. Maybe we should put on a tranny reenactment up here in the Russia-like northwoods
    Teresa,

Don't tempt me. I know I can pass for a babushka. Sturdy peasant stock, that's me. I still have all my kit. Now if I could get some time off....

Katrina

Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    i would love to have a complete set of clothes from the civil war period and one for a western prarie period - 1900. the problem is to find appropriate shoes. I wear a size 13 wide lady's. Any suggestions about where to find these?

Thanks
    JC
    I think Mr. Land could make you a pair:

http://www.robertlandhistoricshoes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tip or Ozma View Post
    I think Mr. Land could make you a pair:

http://www.robertlandhistoricshoes.com

Wow Tip just what I was looking for. Thanks

Queen of the Faery Realms Bethany_Anne_Fae's Avatar
    Agreed! What a FANTASTIC find! Thank YOU!

Zara

I've been to a couple of civil war reinactments as an observer, not a reinactor. There were very few women in period costumes. I wouldn't recommend it.

A better choice is a Renaissance Festival. Last year I went to the Maryland Renaissance Festival and rented a "fair maiden" costume from the rental shop there. The costume assistants were great and seemed to think it was pretty cool for a guy to be a fair maiden. One of the (female) costumers described how to wear my outfit, and after I got onto the chemise and skirt, laced up my bodice.

So, I walked around all day as a fair maiden.

I didn't really make much of an attempt to pass, although I did wear a short wig to cover my bald spot and a veil tied over my head.

I was really surprised how many peple didn't even give me a second look. A number of women made me (I could tell from the look on their faces), but I just gave them a big smile and they smiled back.

One food vendor called me Ma'am, but he was just being polite. He made me.

One guy also made me and was totally freaked out. But after screaming out "He's a guy", he just went quietly on his way.

Since so many people are in costume anyway, it's kind of like Halloween.

I'm going to try to go again this year (this weekend).

Hi Margaux,

I just had to say that I too was heavily involved in the SCA up until about 10 years ago. So you know another one. But I never dressed in the SCA; that was before I had the courage to venture forth en femme. Now, I ocassionaly think about attending an event en femme. Next year I'll probably do a renfair enfemme.

I had no idea there were so many reenactment groups! I knew about the SCA, renfairs, civil war and revolutionary war. But the soviet WWII? French and Indian war? Wow!

Anyone doing 10,000 BC?

Hugz, Lori

Quote Originally Posted by punkduckmargot View Post
    I do SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) and have a number of costumes ranging from appx 800 to 1600+ from different culturs/locations (English, French, Norse, Irish, etc)

The SCA is a very accepting group. And while it has very lax rules regarding authenticity many of us do actual research and make historically accurate garb. Now if I could only find other SCAers who are also trans (of any flavor) and lovers of history.

No real interest in civil war stuff, and I am not really a fan of the ren faire scene. Too little history and too many fantasy hedonist pirates on acid for my tastes.

Queen of the Faery Realms Bethany_Anne_Fae's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori SC View Post
    Hi Margaux,
    I had no idea there were so many reenactment groups! I knew about the SCA, renfairs, civil war and revolutionary war. But the soviet WWII? French and Indian war? Wow!

Anyone doing 10,000 BC?

Hugz, Lori

Oh my god you have no idea!! Do a google search on any time period with reenactment and you'll find something. If there is something specific you want, drop me a line

*hugs*

Zara