Thread: Crossdressing in 1936

Crossdressing in 1936

I was watching some Little Rascal films the other day and three times I seen the gang dressed as girls. One was the 1936 Follies and the other was called Night and Gales. I believe there where other ones or times them had the dress as girls. Interesting to think about it and this was 1936. Anyone else seen these.
    Last edited by Dalece; 09-10-2008 at 11:46 AM. Reason: spelling
    I will follow my heart

Crossdressing Curmudgeon TommiTN's Avatar
    I don't recall the specific episodes but I do remember them dressing as girls. Alfalfa as a girl sticks in my mind for some reason. None of the boys were ever as cute as Darla, though!
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Alll of Shakespear's female characters were played by males... And through history men played women in theator... Hence the term DRAG. - Dressed As A Girl.. (From what I've read).
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Banned Read only
    Cross-dressed movie characters turn up in old movies all the time, but usually because they're being punished or they're up to no good. And it's usually in comedic situations, trying to fool someone. Except for Ed Wood's classically horrible film, the point is usually never about gender, just foolishness...and making fun of females.

Not into it myself...

My wife and I also noticed that Family Guy AND King Of The Hill has hints of crossdressing in them. That's awesome!
    [SIZE="3"]XOXO,
    Summer[/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Please visit my Facebook site at:
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...73&ref=profile

(My Space is so dull now!)

Yes Dalece, I do remember seeing the Little Rascals as girls I can't remember specific episodes but I have a collection of their films on VHS. I think it would be fun to sit and watch them just to see how many were made. There were many other comedys of that era that depicted crossdressing. Curly dressed in quite a few Three Stooges films, and I believe Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy both dressed as women at one time or another. I wonder if they felt the same rush I get when I dress, or if it was just another acting job?
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Yup, that's why they were called "rascals" Hon. The cute little darlings.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Alfalfa and Spanky dressed as girls.

This was one of my favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWkoMZsdSQk

Quote Originally Posted by JiFem9ll View Post
    Yes Dalece, I do remember seeing the Little Rascals as girls I can't remember specific episodes but I have a collection of their films on VHS. I think it would be fun to sit and watch them just to see how many were made. There were many other comedys of that era that depicted crossdressing. Curly dressed in quite a few Three Stooges films, and I believe Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy both dressed as women at one time or another. I wonder if they felt the same rush I get when I dress, or if it was just another acting job?
    Laurel and Hardy played there own wifes, among other times they dressed, but then almost all comics did drag back then.
    Tina B.

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    Quote Originally Posted by deja true View Post
    Cross-dressed movie characters turn up in old movies all the time, but usually because they're being punished or they're up to no good. And it's usually in comedic situations, trying to fool someone. Except for Ed Wood's classically horrible film, the point is usually never about gender, just foolishness...and making fun of females.

Not into it myself...
    thats a particularly good point, it was always for comedic relief and there was always a plausible explanation as to why they had to be dressed in women's clothes. its not like they did it just because they wanted to. {example cited Some Like it Hot was about escaping from the mob}

so that begs the question other than Ed Wood what movie dealt with the subject as some sort of a fetish?

Christopher Plummer as cd in one film.

After he died, I saw a documentary about Plummer, and one film, where he was a crossdresser, who got shot by police, for some crime. I was surprised.

Jefferson Davis crossdressed?!

On some documentaries, about The War Between the States, I saw where Confederacy President Jeff Davis dressed up in womens dress, when running from Union authorities, after the south lost. It was spread around that he was captured dressed up, and he was humiliated bigtime.

The episode of The Little Rascals that I remember featured a whole chorus line of the Gang portraying "The Flora-Dora Girls," an old vaudeville act. As I remember, it was the finale for one of their variety shows. Stuck in my mind because some monkey was hiding in Spanky's Bustle, and all the kids ended up in their skivvies and corsets.

Just don't make them like that anymore!

Peace and Love, Joanie

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Alll of Shakespear's female characters were played by males... And through history men played women in theator... Hence the term DRAG. - Dressed As A Girl.. (From what I've read).
    I do remember the little rascals dressed as girls the only one I thoght looked like a little girl was froggy. Three other comedians who were famous also for dressing up Milton Berle, Benny Hill and My favorite who when I am male mode say is John Candy

Please also rememeber that the Orient used men dressed as woman, Hence the Madam Butterfly play. Joann0830

Yes! I remember those! Fondly, too!!!! I asked to be a girl for Halloween, and my mom made me an outfit. I thought it was kind of natural. Guess the rascals did too!!