Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dressing as Escapism

hay u know what i think all men at some point wonder what its like to be a women but wy are we stuck on it?

The times we live in seem to be very difficult with the collapse of these high profile companies and banks. Our leadership is questionable and our hopes for better days are uncertain. We have had 8 years of bad decisions that ruined this country and I'm not sure who can come to power and right the ship. It will take a long time and a lot of cooperation from all political representatives.

We need to rebuild this country and put the USA back in good graces.

I wonder how the poor people from the depression era got through it.

I know these times require strength of character, courage and some belt tightening.

I am very concerned that things will get worse before they get better and feel we are one terrorist attack away from total chaos.

I just hope our new leadership will do a much better job and build this county again to help its own.

Yes I do escape from all the doom and gloom and dresses do help!

emmi

Quote Originally Posted by silkesh View Post
    hay u know what i think all men at some point wonder what its like to be a women but wy are we stuck on it?
    My personal theory: because we have the courage to act out our fantasies...and once we try it, we realize what all women know: it's way more fun to be a girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Katie B View Post
    No, reality is an illusion caused by an excess of blood in the alcohol stream.

Katie B
    Reality IS what you, and others, perceive it to be...today I put on a skirt and top and toured the state capitol, blending in happily with the foreign visitors and school kids. No funny looks, everybody was preoccupied with the tour, and I was just another woman gaping at the dome and studying the statues, stuff that would bore me to tears as a guy, but seeing it through the fresh eyes of a woman, it all seemed inspring and I totally lost myself in the moment. That's what I mean by escapism, for a few magical hours I was truly the person I appeared to be...a woman.
    Last edited by windycissy; 10-02-2008 at 02:07 PM.

You are not the only one. I dress to escape from being the same boring old me all the time.

Silver Member
    I don't dress to escape the realities of life. All of this financial gloom and doom talk is of little concern to me. As for the election, I am tired of hearing all of the hoopla over this and will be glad when it is over. I do not fret over issues that I have no control over. I started dressing as a child and I certainly did not need to escape anything back then nor do I today. I cd because it is just a part me that I feel I need to express on a daily basis.

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    Yes indeed, I am an "Escapist" CD. I was starting to think I was one of the only escapists here, myself. There is nothing to compare to the relaxation and stress relief, than "Taking a vacation from myself" and a "break from the pressures of manhood" that escapist CDing provides.

A lot ofthe "fem sider" CDers don't understand us as we consider our MALE selves to be the "true me". We CD to get AWAY from our "true selves" and "real me"----not to go TO it.

ah, i escape in many ways besides CD...it helps to be Jennifer sometimes...but sometimes you gots to grab the dice back, fill out the character sheet, and play your Female Human Fighter and own some dragon with nothing on but a chainmail dress and a greatsword! hehe, DnD helps me get away from it all too...if i could combine DnD with my CD i'd be in nirvana, but the world isn't perfect i guess *smiles*
    When swimming in a see of lies, one needs to go fishing for the truth

I don't dress to escape..I go shopping!

I dress because I LIKE it and it makes me feel GOOD!!

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna2 View Post
    A cami, mini skirt and heels are my key to another time and place.

So, like that character from MAD magazine says, 'What, me worry?'
    That would be Alfred E. Newman.

Dressing does provide me with a way to forget I'm me for a little while, particularly if I dress in one of my femme costumes.
    --Kat

"I never kept up with the fashions. I believed in wearing what I thought looked good on me." --Bettie Page

"This above all--to thine own self be true" --Hamlet, Act I, scene iii

Is Disney a Mickey Mouse operation?

Quote Originally Posted by Marina Twelve View Post
    Yes indeed, I am an "Escapist" CD. I was starting to think I was one of the only escapists here, myself. There is nothing to compare to the relaxation and stress relief, than "Taking a vacation from myself" and a "break from the pressures of manhood" that escapist CDing provides.

A lot ofthe "fem sider" CDers don't understand us as we consider our MALE selves to be the "true me". We CD to get AWAY from our "true selves" and "real me"----not to go TO it.
    I think Marina is absolutly right!!! Thats pretty much the way I see it too.

Yes, Escapism is a big part of why I dress and comport myself as a woman. All my daily stress disapears when I become Diane and not my male self. It provides a wonderfull vacation, allowing me to cope and then to return to "real" life refreshed and ready to continue.

But dressing also allows me to express parts of my real self that I can't do as easily en drabbe. Societal pressures and expectations won't let me be who I am as a guy, but as a woman, I can release what Carl Yung called "the Shadow Self," the aspects that we don't commonly recognise or express. The Shadow Self isn't the bad aspects of our psyche, just the parts that we don't usually want to admit too for social reasons.

And what is wrong with Escapism anyway. Professor Tolkein once asked his friend, C.S. Lewis a riddle, "Who is most concerned with supressing all thoughts of Escape?" And then he answered his own riddle by saying, "The Jailers!"

The people who want to keep us enprisoned (in a social role or otherwise,) are the ones constantly on the watch for any sign that someone else is trying to "escape." This includes not only the Politically Correct or Islamofascists, for example, but anyone who has a narrow, rigid and arbitrary view of how everyone else ought to live. (Like those men who are so insecure that they assume a narrow definition of manhood and then try to impose it on all other men.) Escape can not only be a life saving strategy for emotional and psychological survival, but a positive duty!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Non Nobis Domine, non Nobis, sed Nomine tua da Gloriam!"
    "Science without Religion is lame, Religion without Science is blind." Albert Einsten.
    "Champagne for our real friends, and real pain for our sham friends!" Irish American Toast.

I dress to escape in some ways, but oddly I enjoy it most when I feel that things are great. That's when I want to express my feminine side most.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Marina, that is SO RITE ON!

Quote Originally Posted by Marina Twelve View Post

I need to start writing down your explanations. Just in case I need to explain why I dress to someone else!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!