Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Makeup Phylosophy

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar

Makeup Phylosophy

Do any of you gals have a phylosophy, or objective in reguards to makeup?

1.For you, is it supposed to be a "mask of beauty" that disguises your normal features--changes the shape of your eyes, lips, etc?

2.Is it important to let your "natural" facial features show through

3.Just enough to give you a "girly" look

4.No makeup at all---or at least a "no makeup look"

5.An attempt to look like a specific person or celebrety

6. Do whatever you need to do to look like a woman and not a man?

I tend to go for the mask approach--that is I like to change the apparent size and shape of my face, eyes and lips---not only for the challenge and varety, but to HIDE behind, to obscure my male identity---and also achieve an extra of seperation from my self (Thats what us escapist CD types strive for)

For me it would have to be no 1,i like to try and make myself unrecognisable as to who i am.I'm trying for different looks all the time,that's the beauty of makeup.

Nikki

I just like to put on some makeup though it dosen't help much.
    Angie

I guess from what I see.... ALL makeup is to either hide a perdieved flaw or.... to draw attention to another part of the face to hide a percieved flaw.
    Such as... Bright lips draw attention awasy from the wrinkles around your eyes, after all you are visually drawn to the lips. or dramatic eye makeup draw attention awsay from thin lips. You are visually drawn to the eyes.
    When I do makeup, I do a little color contouring of my foundation to give myself a more oval face. Then I do my eyes a little more heavy both because I wear glasses and the stronger color is needed behind the lenses and because I have thin lips!
    I also blend the makeup down my neck to my collar bone, at least in order to give a consistant color to my torso and keep things flowing visually. If I wear something low cut I carry the makeup right down to my 'boobs' and darken the cleavage to draw a bit more attention there. If you don't set the makeup with too much powder it washes out pretty easily from your clothes. A little shout or Spray and Wash and all is well.
    So I hope this adds an answer to your question.
    Huggs,
    Lisa E
    I'm certain other girls more experienced than I will post soon!!

no phylosophy really

Just a lot of fun. I love to take the time and try and have the whole fem feeling all the way. Trying not to screw it up, eye shadow just right with multi colors. Watched the fantastic four last week and jessica alba had on blue and pinky shadow that I have been trying to make happen. So now that I think about it, I do sometimes try to copy a look I see on women. And does any know where to get colored mascara like green or red? It seems like I see it but can't find it and I think I NEED it.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Marina, I'm really not sure-----

Which classification do u think I fall into?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

With your full face masks the question is moot.

However the mainstream philosophy is to enhance the best features and hide the worst features (if any). It should make you look the best you can given your face the way it starts. Anything else is "stage" makeup.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

I tend to err towards minimalism, if I try too hard I just mess it up. Just enough to hide the worst and extensive enough to blend to my neck and what chest I display.
    Ali Cats Creameries

Home is where the cream is.
    I was born into a life of cream.
    Cream is Forever.

I have no particular makeup philosophy but just try to look as feminine as possible with eye shadow, lipstick, wig etc.

If I'm going out, I subscribe to the "It takes a lot of paint to make a guy what he ain't" philosophy, the trick is in making it look like you're not using as much makeup as you are. I did a lot of experimenting with makeup when I started out dressing completely and learned how to do that.

Of course, sometimes I like makeup that's a bit more obvious, like if I'm going out for an evening (rare nowadays), and then I'll get a bit more dramatic.

But around home where no one else sees me, I'll just use a bit of lipstick and that's about it.

Carol
    My name is Carol.

I generally keep it pretty light, a touch of powder, eyeliner, mascara, rouge and lipstick. On the rare occasion I go out, then the mask approach seems more fitting. Much as I wish otherwise, I know I don't pass whatever I try.

Dee

What a neat question! I love the way you have analyzed it.

Now that I think of it, I am a number 1. I do not (any longer) wear many layers and go much more natural. I do want to change the appearance of lips and eyebrows to look more feminine.

But mostly, I use makeup to please myself. I want to look as pretty as I can.
    TG is who I am; CD is something I do.

My CD Blog Site

Initally I got into makeup to look girlie but that's all changed... Now I'm into makeup big time.. Maybe more so than dressing.. And I feel its an art form.. Although I don't think I'm very artistic...

Not just something to slap on to look fem..

And there's a lot of health and science behind makeup... Like those new beauty tubes.. And moisturizers and silicone foundation primers... I learn something new every day... Its really amazing!!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

For me it is the no makeup look.

Work in progress fluffy_kingston's Avatar
    My goals for makeup are to smooth the look of my complexion, round the eyes and round the face.

round=female
    square=male

I think they put something in the make up that calms me down. Although some brands must add a little excitment because I've felt that too. I am sure they add something, because I am addicted!
    yin/yang

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDeeB View Post
    I generally keep it pretty light, a touch of powder, eyeliner, mascara, rouge and lipstick. On the rare occasion I go out, then the mask approach seems more fitting. Much as I wish otherwise, I know I don't pass whatever I try.

Dee
    I don't pass either but I also go out. But I feel I am just being honest with myself and being who I am. I always wear a little. Its like underdressing
    yin/yang

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar

just started

I just got my foundation and concealer color matched for my skin a bit ago, so I'm still in a very experimental stage. I've been trying to read a lot, and like Karen said above, it is clearly an artform and one which is still pretty foreign to me. So far I've been pretty conservative (no blush or bronzer yet, for example) but I'm sure that just as every GG has gone through stages of learning about the artform, so will I, and I'm sure some results will be terrible! But a little makeup remover and we just try it again .

So, the direct answer is that I go from conservative to wild and I don't yet know where I'll land!

tina

I strive towards #3 but usually end up in an entirely new category. Clown like.
    Trisha
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIZE="3"]Wild Women Never Get The Blues[/SIZE]

Somewhere between

3.Just enough to give you a "girly" look

4.No makeup at all---or at least a "no makeup look"
    Carin

I have gone on a journey in search if myself. If you find me before I return, please hold on to me until I get back.
    Telling our Children

For myself the greatest challenge is covering the beard shadow. After that, the rest of the illusion is to make it look like I'm wearing very little or no makeup so that my own features show through in a subtle way.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Somewhere between number 1 and 2, but i,m always trying differant looks and ideas.

I also try to go for number 5 occasionally and try and look like a celebrity! [I,ve done a good Ronald Macdonald, but i was actually trying for someone completely differant and female ]
    Last edited by Deborah Jane; 10-10-2008 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Dumb Blonde moment...I misunderstood the question!!

Aren't most of us just trying to look our best and most feminine?

I doubt many are trying specifically to make themselves unrecognizable. If you're worried about being recognized, you're probably not going to be seen in public no matter how much makeup you have. If you're not going out in public, why would you be primarily focused on disguising yourself?

Other than that, like celeste26 said, it's about to enhancing your best features and hiding your worst features. Some people think a ridiculous amount of makeup achieves that. Some think very minimal makeup is best.

The Unlucky
    My wife and I have very different make-up personalities.

Her view is "make-up is supposed to enhance your features, not create new ones". So she uses stuff from "Sheer Cover" and it works well for her. She is SO NOT into lots of make-up. Just some eye cover-up(for her "dark circles" that I swear only she can see) eye-liner underneath the top eye-lid, eye-brow pencil(not so much anymore) and some "First Impressions" lip-stuff is all she wears 99% of the time. That's fine with me about 75% of the time, I do wish sometimes she would "go overboard" every once in awhile.

My make-up personality is way heavier. I don't go as far as**forgive me girls** "drag queen" as one would think. But I HAVE to have lots of eye-liner, mascara and eye-shadow. I don't use too much foundation or cover-ups though if I do I throw in some blush cuz I like the offset it brings. But I love *read: LOVE* the heavy, dark, thick, smoky, etc. look.

My wife and I contrast on that very aspect. We were in line at a local pizza hut and one of the girls working there had gorgeous eyes, blue with lots of liner and mascara-the stuff I like. I whispered to my wife "I wonder how she get's her eyes like that, it looks cool". She responded with "I don't like it, it makes her eyes look too small." I still don't understand how make-up changes the size of a persons eyes so we agreed to disagree on that one.

I primarily try to bring out my natural features with makeup. Makeup has always been pretty easy for me......I'm not sure why. I so wish that it was as acceptable for guys to wear makeup as it is for girls. What's wrong with a little color?