Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Embarassing or Funny Shopping Stories

A few weeks back I went into a thrift store and saw a couple of dresses that I really liked the look of so I thought I would try them on (I was in guy mode). So I did and then went to pay for them.
    The cash register area was only a few metres away from the changerooms and there was an unobstructed view for the staff members there so I thought it was odd when one of the women asked me "are these a present for a wife or girlfriend?"
    I guess either she didnt see me or it just didnt register that I was buying them for myself but I could have said anything in response but generally I dont volunteer unneccessary information so I just said "yes I'm sure she'll love them"
    And she did.......

Zorro with a makeup brush BeckiB's Avatar
    Embarrassing..I was sitting in a crowded room having dinner at a table of 8 or 10. For some reason the lousy bra I had I decided it wasn't going to hold my breast forms in place any longer and one of the forms slipped out and slid down the inside of my top to my waist. I looked like I had a lop sided beer belly. Now I was left with a dilemma...I can't really excuse myself to the ladies room to fix things...I was worried it would fall the rest of the way out. I was looking a bit disfigured up above so sitting there doing nothing wasn't really an option. It took a bit of shuffling but dropping my napkin to the floor I was able to bend over enough that I could pull myself back together so to speak with out anyone noticing. I was a little worried on the way out that it would happen again. I will say I no longer own that bra!!

As for shopping, well, I do a lot of it in boy mode and never get confused for the fairer gender. When the SA asks I have to state the not so obvious, "No! it is for me". I get some very interesting looks at first. I have some pics of me dressed as Becki on my phone and when I show them to the SA I get the same response that Tracii gets, "WOW, I would have never guessed". It always amazes me how fast the situation turns around. First you get the million questions, then they can't seem to help you enough. I think the only time I have ever had an SA make a snide remark is when I actually was buying pantyhose for my wife.

Full time NY state girl MarciManseau's Avatar
    This reminds me of a time years ago when in drab I was buying a pair of adorable pink panties, and while standing in the checkout line, a fat woman and her fat daughter were standing behind me. I heard the mom say to her daughter in a very loud voice, with a disguted look on her face, "I bet he's buying those panties for himself."

I turned to them, very angry, and said, "You're effing right I am, and I'll look better than either of you cows would in them!"

That totally shut her up, and I saw one woman in front of me smile.

Revenge is sooooo sweet!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] My GG GF Julie and I send you all hugs I'm on the right in my avatar, Julie is on the left.

Aspiring Member

embarrassed???

I once was in a Goodwill store far away from home, so I wasnt afraid to shop- I picked out a beautiful dress, and took it to the counter, and the girl said, its just your size. I wish I had had the courage or wit of some of my sisters on here, but I think I turned pale and tried to stammer out an excuse that it was for a girlfriend. Funny, she was right- it was my size

One time I was at my favorite MAC counter, having my makeup done. Now my MAC SA , Laurin knows who I am. I was wearing a top that showed my cleavage. While she's working, causually looks down and her eyes get as big as hubcaps and without missing a beat says, "looking very girly there". And asked if was on hormones. I said no, not now. But isn't it great what a little tape can do.

Huggs, Renee

Quote Originally Posted by Megan70 View Post
    She was"dressed" and window shopping within the lingerie aisle of JCPenney and she could feel the elastic waistband loosen up around her pantie briefs. After a few more steps the worst happened.... they dropped down under her dress and fell to the floor................
    Megan
    Megan, I can't top that, but I do have my own embarrassing version. Some time ago, I was mall walking/window shopping and about 3/4 of the way through the excursion, by home-made hips.rear enhancer unlatched itself and in slow motion, crawled down my legs to the floor. I stepped out of them, picked them up and kept going, mortified, without looking back. Fortunately, the mall was nearly empty and few people participated in my showing.

I did have one interesting encounter with a sales associate while dressed. In a Walmart, I was buying a bra and pantyhose while fully dressed. As the purchase concluded, the SA gasped with shock and went bug-eyed at me. She either detected something erroneous from my poorly done nails that made her look more closely at me, or from my less than fem voice. Anyway, I had said thankyou and proceeded to the exit. She called a friend over to look at me exiting, so I stopped in the doorway while still putting change in my wallet, then into my purse. They got a good look. I left with no further issues.

Now, if I had thought such an encounter would occur, I'd have completely chickened out, and probably stayed home without dressing. Lack of confidence can be a real downer.

I went to a WalMart to bye some pantyhose a skirt and new heels, I tried the heels when no one was around and found a pair that fit , next I went to get a couple pairs of pantyhose and then got a skirt,I got to the cashier to pay, and when she rang up the heels she said " I hope that they fit" . and then she let out a little chuckle. I was a little embarrased but then I told her "yes they do fit nicely thank you."

The very first time I bought a new pair of girls shoes when I was 15 or 16 I wanted them for my sister(???). The salesman just looked at me and said "look, if they're for you just try them on..." I did. One of my very first lessons in most people just don't care.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    My story is not that good but here it is anyway. It happened earlier this year.

My wife Marla and I went shopping to JC Penney. We had some returns to take back and we also took the opportunity to check out the clearance section. We were looking at formal dresses specifically for the upcoming TGSF Cotillion for both of us. I was in boy mode. We found some gorgeous full length gowns - perfect we thought!

Anyway, I had such a scare at the checkout because as the sales assistant rang up the items. The woman said to Marla " "... so ok .... now you have two dresses here right?" (it was hard to tell with the massive amount of material, skirting, netting etc that was on the counter) .... Marla says "yes - that's right". The SA says "did you know that they are different sizes?" ... "yes" says Marla and then Marla goes on to ask about what if they get marked down, would we be able to bring them back and get a reduction price etc. The woman said "no, this is the sale price we don't mark them down any more". Marla then turned to look at me, not really thinking, and said in a loud voice (remember I'm in boy mode) "oh well, we can keep these dresses anyway, they'll be insurance for both of us. We'll at least have something to wear if we can't find anything better". My eyes widened and I looked at Marla and grinned from ear to ear because the woman checker stopped dead in her tracks with what she was doing and looked at Marla with a surprised look that then changed to a huge "knowing smile" on her face. I was thinking OMG! Marla, thanks for outing me darling! I felt a bit exposed but otherwise took it well. I absolutely know the woman behind us heard everything too! I don't mind really as I was OK with these GGs knowing I was going to be wearing one of the gowns.
    Last edited by Rachel Morley; 11-26-2008 at 11:33 PM.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

This isn't a real brilliant story. It involved my trying to buy a wig over the phone and by mail when I was 19 years old in 1975. There was a wig store in the town next to where I lived. I worked up the nerve after several weeks of resolve to call the lady up on the phone and give her as good a description of what kind of wig I was looking for as I could. I even cut some pictures out of fashion magazines and I mailed them to her in order to give her a general idea of what kind of wig I was looking for.

She corrected some of what I'm forced to admit were my delusions that I had when going to buy my first wig. Like the "human hair wig" among others. She took several days after I mailed her about $30 and picked out a nice sort of reddish-brown "cut almost at the shoulder" wig which is a style I've always liked.

Anyway,the lady called our house but it was on a day when we must've had 10-15 relatives there and one of my relatives answered that black kitchen wall dial telephone of ours and proceeded to set down the receiver after just a minute and then walked into that crowded living room full of people to report(in front of my Mom who thinks CD'ing is strange and freakish and real odd)that "The lady from wigworld called and S__'s order is in anytime he wants to go pick it up"

Needless to say I was still quite young in those days and Mom was kind of alarmed even though she at least didn't throw me out. but I had to forget about the wig. I had a lot of careful talking my way out of that to do and I decided I would take great care that a snafu like that never happened to me again!

With Caution, Samantha
    Last edited by Samantha B L; 11-27-2008 at 12:15 AM.

Earlier this year, I went to a local dressmakers' to get a couple of beautiful old-fashioned satin nightdresses made for myself (having decided I'd probably look quite good in something like that, but not having been able to find anything I liked in any of the lingerie shops or department stores). Anyway, they had no problem with what I wanted, and gave me a day to come and pick up my order. I duly rocked up on the day in question, but found when I did that they hadn't quite finished the second nightie. If I just sat down and waited, though, it'd be ready in a few minutes, so I did as I was bidden. As I was waiting, a couple of women came in with some young children in tow. One of the latter individuals - a young boy - immediately started running around the place, obviously bored (given he seemed to have no interest in any of the beautiful dresses on display there, I'm guessing he's not going to grow up to become a CDer!). His increasingly exasperated mother told him to go and sit down beside me, which I found strangely heartening, given I was wearing a long silver coat at the time (even when en drab, I'm never drab!); I was cool that she seemed cool with me. Anyway, he didn't listen to her and just kept running about the place, something she was probably glad of when my second nightie was brought out completed. When she saw what I'd come to pick up, and realized it was for me, the look that appeared on her face was something to behold! I can just imagine her thinking, "Oh my God, I was going to get my son to sit next to someone like that?!" Ah well, what can you do but laugh?

Quote Originally Posted by Katie B View Post
    A friend told me this one:

She was shopping for a dress, and was halfway through trying it on when her breast form fell out. As she bent down to pick it up, the sales assistant poked her head round the curtain. Red faces all round. Then the SA said, "There's no need to feel embarrassed, my dear, I understand. I've had a mastectomy too."

She never dared shop there again.
    Is it wrong for me to find this story really, really funny?

Living and Enjoying Life Kristen Kelly's Avatar

Talking

[SIZE="3"] Over the years I have amassed plenty of funny stories, I now shop enfem as much as I can but years ago was out in Macy's in "Drab" shopping by myself and I always look through the clearance racks. I had found a pair of women's jeans for $7 and 2 tops for $4 each, took them to the check out counter and proceded to pay for them. The older woman at the counter looked at the tags and rang them up and then said, "Wow what a steal your wife or GF is going to love these". I quickly replied back, " She better keep her hands off them they're mine". Well that dropped her jaw and she finshed checking me out red faced without saying a word.

I was out to dinner last year in "Drab" and decided to wash my hands before sitting down to dinner. My aviatar pic is how my hair is normally even in "Drab" was wearing women's jeans as I always do (love how they fit better), small hoop earrings, gender neutral top, no make-up, and my messenger bag on my shoulder. I was coming out of the men's room as a man was entering he held the door looked at me and turned looked at the sign on the door and looked at me.

Another time was out shopping with GF in "drab" (she wouldn't shop with me dressed but does know and has been out to clubs with me dressed) we had many packages so she used the restroom while I watched the packages and then I used the men's room when I came out she told me a man went in and quickly came out and told this wife there's a woman in there I can't go in.

To think I used to totally freak when I had to use a crowed ladies room, now I have them freaking when I use the men's room
    [/SIZE]
    Last edited by Kristen Kelly; 11-27-2008 at 09:37 PM.
    [SIZE="3"]Life Begins When You Stop Worrying What Other People Think[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]
    Walk TALL SMILE and be CONFIDENT all will be OK
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]It's Brave to be Different, Be Brave Too, Accept Me for Who I am ![/SIZE]

Just love all of your stories! OK, this happened to me two weeks ago. I was in drab, needed a tie to went to Macy's. The salespeople in the men's dept werre busy, and told me to to go the perfume counter. The saleslady asked if I wanted to open a charge account -- I'd save money. OK, I should have one. "You can save 20% on anything you buy today. would you like some perfume?" [you bet!] I said "No, but maybe I should look at some dresses." She did not miss a beat and said "Yes you should", and gave me a great smile.

Part 2. I didn't find a suitable dress, but I did need a pair of low heels. Off to the ladies' shoe dept. The salesgirl asked if she could help, and I said, "Yes, I need a pair of low heels". She also did not miss a beat , and asked what size. (10). She showed me a lovely pair of Easy Spriits. I tried them on, and as I was walking in them the salesman came up to me and said .... "You'll like them .... I have a pair of those!" Imiagine my surprise ... so a big smile ... "Are they comfortable?" "Yes". They are! Now my wife wants a pair!

Anyone with a similar story?

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Claire

Aspiring Member

Both good, one better.

Recently, returning some skirts and jackets ordered on-line, back to the JC Penny catalog desk to save the PO hassle, things were fine until I was leaving and the young female clerk said (after taking out the items to check the returned goods):

"I hope your next on-line ordering experience is better, sir."

We were completely alone, so no chance of her doing any harm, but I was in day-off guy fence repair clothes and covered in sawdust...

I'm still a little annoyed by that, but, on balance, she seemed very easy about it and not at all insincere. So, OK. Score one for nice try, if a bit gender inappropriate.

(Insert ironic guffaw here.)

A better experience, and it's the norm for me, is to be in a store shopping, "all guyed up" while killing time before my work appointment, and a clerk will ask me, "Is that for your wife/girlfriend?"

I usually say, "No, I was thinking of getting something for myself."

The clerks nearly always say, "Oh, well you should really check out those racks over there. We have a number of things on sale and a lot of those would fit you. If you need to try on anything, let me know..."

Both good experiences, one better.

Today I bought some purple tights from a department store. After paying the SA gave me the till receipt, saying in a normal voice "here's your receipt", then handed me the bagged item and said in a very loud voice so anyone within about 20 feet could hear "YOUR TIGHTS ARE IN THE BAG". Like I didn't know what was in there!
    Last edited by Jennifer Cox; 11-27-2008 at 03:13 PM.

A few weeks ago I walked into a Lane Bryant carrying a bag of purchase from the previous store. Well, something in the bag set off the alarm as I entered Lane Bryant, so everyone in the place jumped and started looking my way.

I just laughed and showed the SA my bag, no problem at all.
    It brought back memories of those nerve-wracking first few times venturing out thinking that the entire world is staring at me, expecting some loud announcement "there's a GUY in here looking for WOMEN'S CLOTHES!". It cracked me up to think about it: I've been shopping for femme clothes for years in girl-mode and guy-mode with never an unkind word, but sure enough, the "newbie nightmare" finally came true: I walked into a store, and a loud alarm went off and everyone stared straight at me!

I'm lucky it happened now when I'm secure... had it been my first time out, it probably would have been my last as well

Ironic but not embarassing

My story is not embarassing but more ironic. I was recently shopping for tights(pantyhose) in the lingerie dept. of a local superstore. While I was examining the packaging for size guidance the woman standing at the rack next to me suddenly announced that it was so nice to see a man shopping for a "lady". Without really thinking I replied with the truth that they were for my daughter. On reflection I thought that there was hint of sarcasm in her tone and wished I had been quick witted enough to lie and say they were for me.

Early Experience

In an early shopping trip before I had developed some confidence, I was checking out with a bra, garter belt and panties at a JC Penney's when the SA said to me "I think the person in front of you was a guy." I really didn't notice other than thinking it was a woman as I was very nervous as this was one of my first buy your own lingerie in person trips! I wish I saw her more carefully or even had the chance to comment on my purchase.
    Rachel Denise

[SIZE="2"]“One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. ‘Which road do I take?’ she asked. His response was a question: “Where do you want to go?’ ‘I don’t know,’ answered Alice. ‘Then,’ said the cat, ‘it doesn’t matter.' "
    - Lewis Carroll
    [/SIZE]

Nails & Earrings

I went on a spur of the moment trip to VS for some panties. I also was in drab with women's jeans, tucked with a womans top, but not too girly. When I went to pay for the panties, I gave the SA my credit card, and I almost died when I saw my french glue on nails. The SA complimented me on the nails AND the hoops in my ears.

Banned Read only

Great Sturies

Thanks for starting this thread Jennifer. These are very entertaining stories...Michelle

[SIZE=2]I've posted this story before. Somewhere lost in an old thread, in sure. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Reading alot of funny shopping experiences. Great stories!

Here's mine. My wife and I were browsing in a little second hand boutique, which was transformed from an old house, in upstate New York. Outside of the sales lady, we were the only 2 in the store. So we thought! My wife picked out a dress from a rack, held it up, and hollered over to me on the other side of the room "This will look great on you" We immediately heard laughter, and looked to see a girl, about in her 20's, standing right behind her. Of course, I immediately was embarrassed. The girl then stated "My husband would look good in that too!" She looked at me and asked "Do you dress?" I nodded my head and said yes.... occassionaly (LIAR!). She stated her husand liked to dress up as well. We went our separate ways from there. Needless to say, I had to get the dress!!![/SIZE]
    The key to being successful is fooling all of the people all of the time.

Life has it's up and downs. I've past the up part, so it's all downhill from here!

Girlygirl Tomboy Wannabee Toni_Lynn's Avatar
    Back when I was a bit more of risk taker -- around 1982, I went to mall on my lunch break. I spied a really great yellow jumpsuit. I went in and began looking over all the girls stuff and a GG clerk came over to assist me. I told her what size I was looking for and then asked if I could try it on. She was a bit shocked and lead me to the men's change rooms. I tried it on and agreed to purchase it. She then kept trying to push guys things on me, until I insisted that I liked to wears girls things. At that point she gave up. I did buy a few blouses, smiled and said I'd be back.

Huggles

Toni-Lynn
    --I'm TN (transnationalist) - a Canadian born in an American's body! I stand on guard for thee!