Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you'd had the internet when you were younger..

Well, I did have the internet when I was younger. I first went online when I was in high school. I would have been about 16 at the time, dressing for three years or so. CD-related sites were among the first things that I found. Even so, I stayed in the closet. What the internet did do was let me know that I was not alone. As I look over my years of CDing, I can see that I've been lucky to avoid the denial and fits of purging that some of the other girls on this site have written about. I may not have come out to many people, and I may not go out in public (yet), but at least I have always been at peace with myself, accepting my femme side as a part of who I am.

Crystal

Anyone remember CompuServe?

I was on Compuserve in the early 80's. My nickname was BillieTV. It was helpful back then to know there were others out there, but I was (and still am) deep in the closet!

Billie Lynne

If this site and others like it existed in the mid 1980's, I would be a woman right now and only my hairstylist would know. But hindsight is 20/20.

Next life, perhaps.

Things would have been different, not sure how, but I'm sure they would have been different.

Looking back to when I was growing up, like 50 years ago, with a whole life in front of me, having a fully functional Internet would have changed my life. Think of it in that Back To The Future "time space continuum" thing. One little change back then could have had a major impact on the future. For me life has produced a wife, two kids, and three grandkids. A little change at the beginning and I might have blotted out five lives. Oh yeah, it would have made a difference with my CD'ing and in other areas too, maybe not for the best.

Banned Read only
    When I first went college in 1993, there was no internet (besides newsgroups). In 1995, I found Transformation Magazine and I began to think I wasn't alone. In 1997, I found urnotalone (ironically), and the rest is history.

Life without the internet would suck! Its wonderful to know there are thousands of us girls out there.

If the Internet had been around when I was young, perhaps Al Gore would have been shown to be a CD -- right after he invented it.

I started learning how many there were like myself when I bought web tv for a couple hundred dollars. God it was slow but I didnt care.One of the sites I found while surfing was Vicki Rene's "prettiest of the pretty,,,wow !! Hundreds of cd's posting their photos. some even from my town. I got the nerve to post a pic there and it was all over,, my ego took it from there LOL
    It wasnt long and I got a real computer,,found a cd chat room that had your avitar while you chatted so you had some idea who you were chatting with. Thats where I found a group of friends that would get out for girls nights out and I finally got out,,,,,, a lot LOL
    Now I hardly get out much ,so if I had the internet when younger it would have given me a earlier start but I dont think much would be different

Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Welsley View Post
    WHAT??? none of you got your Commodore 64 online?? I was on newsgroups with K-State CDrs when I was 12.
    I got a Commodore 64 when I turned 8 in 1983 and was getting on CompuServ with a 300 baud modem back then. There wasn't much interesting on there, though. When I was 15 in 1990, that's when I got on Prodigy, and they had message boards. Then pre-Internet AOL came around, but I wasn't on there too long since they charged hourly and I ran up a $450 bill in a month and got it canceled (although my parents managed to talk their way out of most of the bill).

I took a lot of college classes when I was in high school and had pretty regular Internet access in 1992-93, but when I really started getting in touch with other weirdos was when I got broadband in my dorm in 1994 and discovered IRC.

Anyway, what a lot of people call support is really overrated and might not even be a good thing at all. Crazy people can easily find others who are as crazy as they are and encourage each other. I'm not saying that crossdressinig is one of those things, but the Internet is not the solution to everyone's problems. I have tons of fun going out, but my contacts with CDs are usually via text messages and the occasional email. These are people I would've met with or without the Internet.

Look back on the past few years of your life. How much time have you spent on the net that you can honestly say was a positive use of your time on earth? There are some great people on this forum who I really like, but the majority of time spent on the Internet isn't much better than vegetating in front of the TV.

Quote Originally Posted by meg_dc_00 View Post
    When I first went college in 1993, there was no internet (besides newsgroups).
    There were MUDs and IRC and newsgroups and gopher sites and all kinds of software flying around FTP. There was plenty Internet stuff in 1993. NCSA Mosaic (the first graphical browser) came out in April 1993, and the WWW took off pretty quickly after that.
    Last edited by Raquel June; 11-12-2008 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by avril findlay View Post
    Well I wouldn't have wasted so much time thinking there was something wrong with me. I'd have been able to visit a site like this and see that there are thousands of girls just like me all over the world. And of course internet shopping!

I couldn't have said that any better, the only thing wrong with internet shopping is the guessing, at what may or may not fit, it's such a hit or miss adventure. Somebody needs to come up with a virtual cd model, so we can try on the clothes and shoes before we order them.

Christy

I would not of had to go through the trial and error of making fake breasts
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIZE="3"]Wild Women Never Get The Blues[/SIZE]

I wouldn,t have thought i was the only one, i would have realised it was ok and i,m sure i would have transistioned, as i often dreamed about becoming a woman when i was younger. I just didn,t know how to go about it and by the time i,d found out i was already on the path i ended up taking in life, which went nowhere
    Last edited by Deborah Jane; 11-12-2008 at 02:17 PM. Reason: spelling

I'm wishing to be her SANDRA MICHELLE's Avatar

If you had the internet...

I would have known that I was not the only one doing this and if I had the knowledge I have now I would have probably gone full time en-femme. My life would have been much changed.