Thread: last trans awareness talk to police

last trans awareness talk to police

Well monday sees the last of my police trans talks, it has been very enjoyable, and its nice to have had so much positive feedback fron the atendees.

Steph

Good, Steph. Did they raise any questions you couldn't handle? Were they more aware of the subject before you started than you anticipated? And thanks for representing us.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

Quote Originally Posted by SherriePall View Post
    Good, Steph. Did they raise any questions you couldn't handle? Were they more aware of the subject before you started than you anticipated? And thanks for representing us.
    Hi Sherrie,

Most had little idea about trans issues or the affects of the abuse, physical assaults on trans people. When it came to the question and answer parts, I don't recall one single question that I was unable or not prepared to answer.

The most brought up topic was toilet access, but they are now aware that a trans person under the care of a professional in the area of GID, he or she has legal access to the toilets appropriate to their newly acquired gender be they pre or post op.

It will be sad to see the end of my involvement, but the fact it has been so widely appreciated has made it all so worthwile.

Stephanie

Steph,

I applaud you on your service to our community. I think it's great that you were able to meet with the police and educate them on our cause and what the laws actually say regarding us.

GOOD WORK!

Jenna
    [SIZE="2"]There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved. - George Sand[/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You will never know how many trans people you have helped, Steph, but there will undoubtedly be many who will owe you a great big thank you when they benefit from what you have done for them. Congratulations and well done!

Hi everyone,

I'm the only one doing this type of thing in my area, I even changed a major policy with my PCT (Primary Care Trust) on transsexual women. So yes its true most will never know what I did, and I will never know how many T people's lives were made better, but that doesn't matter.

I do wish there were more out trans people in my area, as I personally know none.

Eventually I will tire of this diversity stuff, and say its up to someone else. That time is approaching already, as 2009 is the year I've earmarked for my surgery (fingers crossed). I expect many clinic and hospital visits next year, and will find it harder and harder to dedicate my time. I have been doing this for over 2 and a half years largely on my own, and I get sick of having no back up from others.

This week i had success in getting resolution for a girl with her GIC waiting list times and her GP practise (where a GP laughed at her for dressing as her true self). also i've had 2 texts from girls who think life is not worth living etc, it can be very stressfull doing this type of voluntary work.

Stephanie

Hi Steph,

You did a tremendous job out there. Now think of all these precincts (I'm not sure about the appropriate term for these in the UK) that did not benefit from these talks. You got yourself a life-time assignment, darling. If you could only convince HM's government that diversity workshops such as the one you did is a very good thing indeed, you might be able to get sponsorship and travel across UK's police stations, all expenses paid! It make it sound funny, but I believe there is serious potential there, as you already had the courage to do it locally.

I greatly admire your work and was very glad to learn in another thread that you are being more accepted as a woman. I hope the change in your signature is a sign of humor. Take care of yourself. You deserve it.

Cheers,
    Melanie

-- "Always put your own oxygen mask before helping someone else with theirs."

-- "You can't make someone else happy, but you can bring happiness into their life."

The talk I'm involved with involves me showing my film from 2006, then talking about my life, my gender identity history from childhood onwards, the type of bigotry, discrimination and abuse I've suffered, the affects of said abuse, my hopes for the future etc. Then its an open question and answer session, just about any question can be asked by the officers.

I had intended doing the full discussion by explaining all aspects of trans etc, but that's done by someone else, but I feel confident that I could have delivered that as well.

Start by discussing what is hate crime, which is of course any incident which is perceived by the victim to have been perpetrated by the assailant because of a hatred or perceived hatred of a person for being different.

Then move onto gender, a nice simple subject (NOT). Basically you begin with the Gender binary, as in there are 2 sexes Male & Female, then ask what words can describe the traditional social roles of male and female, then introduce the difference between sex and gender, that gender is your head sex is between your legs, or that gender is a self determinate state of mind, whereas sex is a legal narrowtive for things like birth certificates.

At this point, you can mess with their minds a little, I would not, but the next section will anyway. Basically you introduce transgender spectrum and explain that it is the umbrella term for many trans inclusive terms i.e transsexual, transvestite, crossdresser, androgyny etc. Then explain Inter sex issues such as Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome, Klinefelters Syndrome and Foster Syndrome, and how many inter sex people (known in some cultures as 'two spirit') do not identify as trans at all, but something between the genders.

**This clearly shows that the gender binary is not as clear cut as it seems**

Then there is the usage of correct pronouns when dealing with trans people, it is important too, to address people correctly, such as 'he' 'him' and 'his' when talking to a trans man and 'she' and 'her' when talking to a transwoman. A good example is that an officer should treat a person according to how the person presents. If unsure, it is appropriate to ask the person concerned how they wish to be addressed.

A brief history of trans is a good idea too and if more time is available, role play scenarios are a good way of explaining as well. As is role play scenarios if time is available.

Stephanie

I've been asked to do one more, so this will take place on wednesday, nice to wanted, shame they not employing me, but that's another story.

Stephanie