Thread: 50's/60's

50's/60's

Hello Girls.

Truly, can anyone say that that era was not the most FEMININE, Girlish and Best Time to be a Girl?

For me,I will go with the late 60's-early 70's. The dawn of the mini, then the micro-mini!And boots; and hot-pants!That whole "mod" style was very influential on this girl!
    "And if you want some fun, sing Ob-Bla-Di-Bla-Da!"

Being a girl in the 50s or 60s

I love those styles too!

It occurred to me that my only knowledge of this era comes from posters, vintage magazine ads, movies ... in short, venues that glamorize women and fashion. When I look at old family albums of my mother and my aunts, they did not dress like this on a daily basis. True they did wear skirts more frequently, but these weren't overly feminine, and my relatives' body types did not come close to resembling the actresses or the models. There was also the sock hop look during the 50's (plain white blouse, poodle skirt or peddle pushers, black/white masculine looking shoes, hair tied up in a pony tail) and the hippie look during the 60's (jeans, psychedelic tops, long straight hair) that teenagers wore that wasn't all that feminine.

If I look at magazine ads today and focus on the dressier or evening fashion, I see very beautiful models wearing very feminine clothing.

http://uktv.co.uk/style/gallery/aid/605173
    http://uktv.co.uk/style/gallery/aid/601537
    http://uktv.co.uk/style/gallery/aid/600126
    http://uktv.co.uk/style/gallery/aid/598874
    http://uktv.co.uk/style/gallery/aid/604109

I think any era, even today, is a great time to be a girl, providing you are at leisure financially and with your time and lifestyle to be able to wear the most feminine fashions of the day. And even then, only the ultra rich can wear these things all the time?
    Reine

Girlygirl Tomboy Wannabee Toni_Lynn's Avatar
    The late 60s and early 70s are the era for me. I have some catalogues from then (J C Penneys/ Sears/ Montgomery Wards) and love looking at all the mod fashions. Funny thing is that way back then I used to do that, too -- LOTS!

And of course, broken record that I am, there's my collection of proper training bras from that era , made the way a training br should be made -- not these two silly little triangles of fabric that they try to pass off as a training bra today. Oh how I wish that I could go back to then armed with a wad of cash

Huggles

Toni-Lynn
    --I'm TN (transnationalist) - a Canadian born in an American's body! I stand on guard for thee!

Glad to say - I can't remember.

40's and 50's

[SIZE="3"]I like the 40's, 50's, and early 60's. THe clothes were very feminine. There are some styles today that appeal to me.

Gennee
    [/SIZE]

I'm getting better with age. I may have started late, but better late than never!

"Don't let anyone define who you are".

Quote Originally Posted by gennee View Post
    [SIZE="3"]I like the 40's, 50's, and early 60's. THe clothes were very feminine. There are some styles today that appeal to me.

Gennee
    [/SIZE]

I lived through the 60's and the best thing that I remember about them were the clothing styles. I like to watch the Austin Powers movies to remind me just what a silly decade the 60s were otherwise.

Just wish I were thin enough to wear some of those styles successfully!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Non Nobis Domine, non Nobis, sed Nomine tua da Gloriam!"
    "Science without Religion is lame, Religion without Science is blind." Albert Einsten.
    "Champagne for our real friends, and real pain for our sham friends!" Irish American Toast.

Hey.... Being girlie is independent of which decade you like.. Any time you can be girly.. Is a good time.. Personally I'm a big fan of the current styles!! Less jeans that is!! Lol
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Hey.... Being girlie is independent of which decade you like.. Any time you can be girly.. Is a good time.. Personally I'm a big fan of the current styles!! Less jeans that is!! Lol
    [SIZE="3"]I'm a skirt-dress-blouse-sweater girl myself.

Gennee
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by DameErrant View Post
    I lived through the 60's and the best thing that I remember about them were the clothing styles. I like to watch the Austin Powers movies to remind me just what a silly decade the 60s were otherwise.

Just wish I were thin enough to wear some of those styles successfully!
    [SIZE="3"]

Looking back, I have to agree with you.

Gennee
    [/SIZE]
    Last edited by Holly; 12-05-2008 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Merged two consecutive posts... please use the EDIT button to add content or the multiquote function to reply to multiple posts in a single post. Multiposting is not permitted on the forum.
    I'm getting better with age. I may have started late, but better late than never!

"Don't let anyone define who you are".

Sad to say - I do remember that era.

Yes, the fashion was more feminine that it seems to be today. However, maybe what has happened is that the entire concept of femininity has shifted. Perhaps each decade really does dress in the femininity of the times.

But I loved the 40s and 50s dresses. Not only that, but it was the time when Father knew best.
    TG is who I am; CD is something I do.

My CD Blog Site

I like the late 50's, early 60's era. I adore the dresses of the period and love that you were pretty much guaranteed to have a nice slip and garters and stockings underneath.

Has to be now for me. There's lots of great clothing available at really cheap prices. Always something new too!

My fondest memories of the 60's include the emergence of the miniskirt and go-go boots, and that is also the decade when pantyhose became a staple of the well-dressed GG's wardrobe.

Isn't it ironic that women embraced them with enthusiasm back then since they liberated them from having to wear girdles, garter belts ("suspenders" to you Brits out there - LOL!), and stockings, yet now pantyhose are considered to be equally confining and women prefer the bare-legged look these days.

And as an aside, let's not forget that the 60's were the era of bra-burning feminists and the braless craze. Almost as good as all of the cleavage on display nowadays.

For those craving a "hit" of 60's nostalgia and a reminder of how women typically dressed back then, look no further than the syndicated series "Mad Men". This show explores not only the fashions of that period, but also the prevailing attitudes including rampant sexism and chauvinism, which - given today's enlightened views (public perception of crossdressing excluded, of course!) can be downright breathtaking at times.

It was okay I guess but you have to realize most folks were trying to fit into a "mold" then according to a society wherin "Leave it to Beaver" and "Father Knows Best" were the "standards" of the role molels for the day which makes me question whether it was really genuine or just a show as far as gender types were concerned. I much rather prefer folks having the freedom to be themselves as we do today.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I certainly remember those times too, starting with the late 50's. Remember those skirts, blouses, saddle shoes, and the scarf tied around the neck. As a guy I loved the 60's with the mini and micro mini skirts...WOW! And those halter tops with no bras. But I think things are better today where there is much more choice in fashion...variety in hemlines, styles, dresses, pants, etc.

I live on the west coast of FL.In the Tampa bay area and in Franklin NC
    Today look at the wonderful clothes of today.Just go to the mall of your choice sit down and watch the fashion show go by.It just dosen't get any better. What a wonderful way to enjoylife as a crossdresser.

Personally I find the 40's era most appealing, the shoes, skirts, blouses, undergarments, hair, makeup, I love it all. I think it looks as great today as did back then, just not sure I could pull it off.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    If I look at magazine ads today and focus on the dressier or evening fashion, I see very beautiful models wearing very feminine clothing ........ I think any era, even today, is a great time to be a girl
    This is one of the reasons why I love being a crossdresser. I can wear clothes like in the picture below and I feel really feminine. I obviously don't look as beautiful as these ladies but I try my best and I do feel pretty in pretty clothes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

I liked the 80s much better. In the 50s, the dress fashions were pretty sweet, especially the petticoats and stuff, but better things were yet to come. In the 60s, women wore a lot of early polyester, which was kind of thick, didn't breath well, and frankly, I didn't much care for many of the styles. Things got much better in the 70s, when dresses began to come into their own. But in the 80s, dresses, sweaters, skirts, blouses, pantyhose, heels...the whole gamut came of age. I loved it, and I continue to love it...every chance I get!

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/