Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever get caught knowing things most guys wouldn't know?

Ever get caught knowing things most guys wouldn't know?

Hi Girls,

I was out shopping in guy mode with my SO on the weekend, and we stopped into Lush (great organic bath & shower stuff in Toronto). The sales girl commented on my SO's lashes and asked what mascara she used. I could see she couldn't remember, so I piped up and said "Makeup Forever, Smoky Lash" - it was funny, the sales girl looked at me for a sec and said something like she loved how I knew that.

I didn't add that I was wearing it too

It made me stop and think though, I wonder how many times I've unthinkingly offered up information that a regular guy wouldn't know or say?

How about you?

-Gillian

I can't say how many times since I don't recall all of them. I do know that GGs are surprised that I do know a thing or two about womens things. The fact that I'm a bellydancer surprises most everyone. What really gets them is when I talk about manicures and pedicures.
    What really gets them is making comments about their shoes or the outfit they are wearing and then ask where they got them.
    Isn't it just fun?
    HUGS Sandra

Quote Originally Posted by gillian1968 View Post
    I could see she couldn't remember, so I piped up
    Are you Really sure she couldn't remember,
    or she just wanted to see if you would do what you did? LOL

Seriously,
    Yes, I have said things that have landed my black patent foot in my mouth.

Knowing a little bit to much information has gotten me some looks and/or comments in the past.

My go to response to cover my ass has always been:
    I figure I might as well know the exact names of what it is I like to see on a girl I'm interested in / dating / ect.

That seems to work pretty well for me, lol
    Warning: This post may contain up to 63% post consumer recycled Sarcasm ... or Peanuts."
    "Sammy, really next time do try to make your point without being quite so abrasive." -RD

All the time.. My wife and I were in claires a few weeks ago and she was looking for those platic earring backs.. I lead her right to the display and reached down and pick a package of them up for her.. Obviously I've been in there more times than she has.. She was overjoyed just to find them... And didn't want to know why I knew where they we're!! Lol
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Yes, but I was in a "Three's Company" situation in the 80's. I know a lot of deep, dark chick secrets and I can prove it! Muah-ha-ha!

I live on the west coast of FL.In the Tampa bay area and in Franklin NC
    Went Christmas shopping for my wife and bought a dress for myself also. The sales are great.The girl waiting on me with a smile asked if the dress was for me and I said yes we both just laughed. Little did she know or maybe she did.

Has happened to me a couple of times

I have had it happen to me a few times. I have a couple of jobs many know my main job here but I also work some event security. I was waiting to go out onto the court after a basketball game and in line with about 10 other guys. We go out to make sure that fans don't rush the court and to be sure that press and others give the teams the chance to get off of the floor. One of the sports directors was doing something and she is a very beautiful women the guys in line were doing their normal guy stuff and saying it out loud which does offend me. If I could only be with that thing one time was the primary topic of discussion. I could not carry on that part of the conversation since I was far too busy admiring her shoes, hair, makeup and the fact that she did not have any pantylines. As I was working to withhold a comment about their crudeness one of the guys said I just love those pumps she is wearing. Without even thinking I blurted out they are not pumps they are slingbacks. I got many stares after that event. My daughter is sixteen and this year she decided she no longer wanted to wear sports bras. My wife and her had had various discussions about this and my wife was not really ready to take her in for a fitting. We were talking one evening about this and my daughter was asking her mother questions about how a bra is actually measured. My wife attempted to explain this to her but was off on how to measure back size. I corrected this and then explained further how cup size is also measured to the dismay of my daughter and her asking me why daddy why do you know that.

Pretty much every time my SO go shopping, she always asks for my opinion when it come to clothes and makeup. I get a few looks when were on the makeup isle, I tend to get a little excited sometimes when we're looking at lip and eye colors for her.

Faith's Girl Kimberly Marie Kelly's Avatar

Smile Yeah at or around Halloween

When people ask me what I'm going to wear and I tell them in detail. Specifically saying I need a 3 way convertible bra to wear with a plunging neckline Halter style dress with a low back. And they say how do you know to wear that style bra and I just say "doesn't every intelligent person know that" or "are you that dumb". Think its cool.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    With Love,
    Kimberly

"Count it pure joy when the world comes crashin
    hold your head up and keep on dancin" MercyMe

Black, Hollow & Cold balletchick's Avatar
    On two occassions I have slipped and offered the "clear finger nail polish will stop the run in your pantyhose" to which the girls would say how did you know that, and my reply was I use to be in a band.

Then they'd say and you wore pantyhose? I said I wore spandex which still didn't convince them. Then I got annoyed and said "don't be so suburban" which didn't help either LOL

I still get raised eyebrows from both parties LOL

The Truth is in There

I must be a glutton for punishment. This has happened to me more than a few times over the 30+ years I've been dressing. I have learned to have 2 or 3 go to reasons/excuses. If the situation involves hairstyles or color I say something to the effect that, I had a deal with my ex-wife that I would help her with hair if she kept it long the way I liked it. If it's about shoes or clothes I tell them I sold women's dress shoes for a major fashion retailer for several years and keeping up with fashion and trends was a necessary part of my job, "Yes, I was the Fashion Police." BTW-this also works if you are in public reading any fashion magazine. If it's about cosmetics or skin care I say my ex-wife was a Mary Kay consultant.

All these are at least partially true. The only way to sucessfully lie to someone is to tell at least part of the truth.
    [SIZE=3]Stacye Rose[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Cleverly disguised as a normal contributing member of society[/SIZE]

I say those things but on purpose to certain people. I always have some lame excuse. Usually using my wife as an excuse... she wears "kitten" heels, she wears "cap" sleeves, she uses "MAC", I heard her say she uses gloss on her lower lip because her lips are thin, etc.

Happy SO of GG Pearls
    Two examples a little off the beaten path:

I was talking movies with some guys at work the other day and after I went through my Sci Fi faves (which are safe) I said,.. oh and I just saw "The Notebook" recently (enthusiastically). One of the guys nearly went into convulsions and said "uggh,.. my girlfriend made me watch that... I thought it would never end !!! ". I immediately realized I was outed and changed the subject.

The other thing is that my wife and I were trying to think about what we could do to correct our young teenage daughter's behavior and without missing a beat I said "threaten to take her makeup away". I had absolute certainty this would work (it certainly would work on me !). When we approached our daughter with this possibility she turned absolutely pale and said "ok, ok" ! Cruel and unusual I realize lol... but it worked !
    "Beauty is not Exclusive"

I'm very conscious of the possibility of admitting to knowing something which, as a man, I might not be expected to know but I don't think I have ever done it. When you've been married a long time you get to know a lot of things anyway - but it's somehow not expected that a man will offer an opinion about what we might call the technicalities of women's dress. I can say whether I think a dress is the right colour/shape/length, etc. but I would get strange looks if I knew what the style was called or what bra should be worn beneath it. I'm just very careful about those things.

Happened to me about a month ago.
    Went to my sisters wedding ( her third, don't ask ) anyhow, her granddaughter was one of the readers at the ceremony and as a result was expected to be well dressed. You just have to picture this 12 yr old child who hasn't worn a dress since she was 4 and has never had a pair of high heels in her life. Here she is clomping about like a cow and having a terrible time getting around. I just couldn't stand it anymore, her mother wasn't any help either. She isn't much better at wearing heels.
    Had to give lessons on how to navigate in 3" heels and be able to go up and down stairs. Spent an hour with both of them. During this time I noticed the 12 yr old's nails. ( almost wretched from the chipped and half chewed look on them) I asked her mother if she had anything around to rescue them.

I was having so much fun teaching these two and doing her nails that I completely forgot that I hadn't "come out" to her. By the time I was done I had to admit that there was a reason " I knew so much"
    Her response, " How cool is that, now I have somebody to talk to about clothes and makeup"

Side note about the heels. One minute after arriving at the reception the heels came off and her ratty sneakers went back on, while still wearing her dress. Talk about frustration aaaaarrrrggggguuuhhh
    Lead me NOT into temptation
    (I can find my own way)
    I HAVE WALKED THAT MILE IN HER HEELS
    CURTSY to all BOW to [SIZE="3"]NONE[/SIZE]

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...6284/event.png

Banned Read only
    There was a great thread about this very thing a few months ago that got lots and lots of responses. "Do you know things you're not supposed to know?" was the gist, i think... I still think about it with a smile when these situations come up.

I've learned to hold my toungue a little better in the all-testosterone environment I work in, but I still enjoy naming colors like teal, cerise and mauve!

And at big, dressy functions, I really get a kick out of the private little conversations I have with my couple of gg confidants about how the rest of the ladies are looking! LOL!

When laughingly called gay once by a 19 year old after using the word "teal" in a conversation with a woman supervisor, I advised him that if ya wanna be able to talk to chicks, you have to speak their language!

Keep it up, dah-lings! We've all got stuff to learn...
    Last edited by deja true; 12-10-2008 at 06:53 AM.

It's easy, really; just admit to having lots of girlfriends and paying attention to them. The women I've had in my life were very important to me, so I wanted to learn as much about them, and how they feel, as I could. Those two confessions have usually gained me 'points' with the ladies I told them to, as well, I'm glad to say.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

A few months ago I blurted out to my SO 'thats not how you put on pantyhose, your gonna run them'

I've surprised a lot of my wife's friends with stuff like that. I'd pipe up a correct answer and they just looked at me real funny. Little do they know....

Silver Member
    I do it fairly often but since i used to work in a fashion related business, I fall back on that as old habits die hard. The amazing thing is that when we do this women sort of wonder or ask why we know this stuf but they do really seem to appriciate us knowing it. As another poster said if you want to have girls in your life you need to "talk thier talk". I agree.
    How helpful is all this knowledge this time of year when you need to be able to buy the rights things, in the right sizes and colors.
    I was once seen in a lady's shoe store (legitimately shopping, JUST for my wife) by a guy friend and he asked, "What the He!! are you doing in here?' I simply said "I'am shopping for shoes for.... for her B-day, why do you think?" he replied "You can pick out shoes she likes?" I said "Sure, I just get her ones that are similar to what she gets for herself. You mean to say you can't do that for your wife? Get with it man." He didn't have a reply. I did hear later that he tried this and wasn't to successful, that is what gift receipts are for.

It has happend to me all my life, but I just blame it on growing up as the only boy in the house with a sister and single mother, which is why I do actually know a lot of things most guys normally wouldn't.

Another thought

Reading Sarasometimes reply about meeting the guy friend in the shoe store reminded me of another instance for me. Early in my marriage I used to buy all of my wifes intimate apparel as well as other girly things. I was always comfortable doing this. It got to the point that she was so used to me shopping for her that she forgot what her actual bra and panty size was without looking at them. We were at a Christmas party for her employer one year and a friend asked her about the bra she was wearing. I was not with her at the time she asked and was talking to someone else on the otherside of the room, her friend said I need a strapless bra like that where did you get it and what size did you get. My wife's reply was wait a minute let me call .... because I have not bought my own underwear in about 7 years. I came over and joined the conversation with two other lady friends and a couple of their husbands. I gave them the proper advise about the bra, and the men just glared at me, but the women were so much more friendly after that. I have since stopped buying my wifes foundations since her style has changed for the worst since she started shopping more for herself. Maybe I need to take her panty shopping more often again!

Silver Member
    Years ago I worked as a "in store display merchandiser" and had to color co-ordinate the clothing displays and mannequins attire. With a natural eye for color and reading many fashion magazines, I had GGs asking me "does this go with this?" They thought I knew all this fashion stuff because of the job. Little did they know I loved to dress like this on my own time!

My wife and share a great deal and she is thrilled that I know so much femme stuff. To say that I know all her sizes is just the beginning. In fact, last winter we shopped for bras for her and I was right and she was wrong.
    TG is who I am; CD is something I do.

My CD Blog Site

I get busted on stuff like that all the time. My usual response when asked how I know that is "because I spend time with women and I pay attention". That answer usually wins lots of bonus points and generally ends the questioning.