Thread: Is it a "Art" to learn to run in a long ballgown or nightgown?

Aspiring Member PrettyFlowingGown's Avatar

Is it a "Art" to learn to run in a long ballgown or nightgown?

This morning I got a unexpected phonecall at 7.30. I was ofcourse, asleep, so when it rang, I imediately ran to the phone, not thinking about my long satin nightgown. I'm not very good at running in long nightgowns, or ballgowns. I nearly tripped this morn, cause my nightgowns are all quite long. How do women run in ballgowns, especially long swishing ones? I was watching "Enchanted" the other day, and the actress in it, Amy Adams made it look easy. I'll have to practice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I love my gorgous flowing evening and ball gowns. I love swishing in them, and feeling how beautiful and shimmering they are. I love to feel like a princess. I love to be elegant, feminine and ladylike.

Banned Read only
    Grab your skirts with both hands and lift them clear of your feet. It's something that becomes second nature when you're used to wearing long skirts or dresses.

Gothic Touch

It's especially fun when you are wearing a Kinsale hooded cloak, and something evil is chasing you toward a cliff late at night. Your stomach is growling, your maid is not there to help you. And mysteriously, lavender is wafting through the air, along with dramatic music. You have managed not to trip over your gown, but now face two choices : Go over the cliff, or let the evil thing get you. I would like to add a third choice, but the credits are rolling, and the ushers are making us get out.

Be sure to take the heels off first Once barefoot, it's like Avril said: pull up the skirts and go.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Kath is rite!

Quote Originally Posted by kathtx View Post
    Be sure to take the heels off first Once barefoot, it's like Avril said: pull up the skirts and go.
    I have problems just walking in those gowns with heels on!

All it takes is one wrong step and you've put a heel thru your pettycoats!

Take it from me, when that happens, your comments may NOT be very lady like!!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by Katie B View Post
    Ladies don't run.
    The same applies for coming down stairs, without going headlong. Simply grasp a handful of skirt and lift it slightly higher?
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]

They call me quiet girl.. Sarah...'s Avatar
    Of course people in movies depicted as running in ball gowns aren't really. They're on wheels. They get pushed into frame and trundle across before getting caught on the other side.

I suggest they stop running in ball gowns (cos you're better off with shorts for that) and start dancing instead.

Sarah...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah... View Post
    Of course people in movies depicted as running in ball gowns aren't really. They're on wheels. They get pushed into frame and trundle across before getting caught on the other side.

I suggest they stop running in ball gowns (cos you're better off with shorts for that) and start dancing instead.

Sarah...
    And in the movies the will make several versions of each gown for different activities; one with a shorter hem in front for climbing stairs, one with internal bracing to keep it clear of your feet when running, etc. Like the made 12 different capes for the Batman movie. They don't want the actress worrying about walking when she should be concentrating on her lines, expressions etc.

We don't have an entire wardrobe department to support us, (Oh, don't I wish!) so we just have to lift up the front hem with both hands as described above. It works fine, and looks charming and very ladylike if you do it right.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Non Nobis Domine, non Nobis, sed Nomine tua da Gloriam!"
    "Science without Religion is lame, Religion without Science is blind." Albert Einsten.
    "Champagne for our real friends, and real pain for our sham friends!" Irish American Toast.

Dreaming is half the fun.

Smile It sould be

May be not offitialy, but it sould ,and if it's not it is still a wonderfull experiance to walk imn one.

Alma

No "art" involved really just common sense. You have to lift 'em up to run Hon.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Quote Originally Posted by Katie B View Post
    Ladies don't run.
    They glide.

Running in ballgowns.

It hels if you're wearing a hoop skirt, you can grab the second hoop from the bottom and go... but whatever you do DO NOT step on the henm of the hoopskirt-you might break you neck.

Somebody should ask Lady Zarabeth about this, I would imagine she knows how do do it quite well.
    [SIZE=3]Stacye Rose[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Cleverly disguised as a normal contributing member of society[/SIZE]

So, in reply to the thread title, no - it's a skill you can learn (like most activities associated with being a girl..).
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]

We really don't want to run, now do we. When I'm dressed, the last thing I want to do is run. But if I had to walk fast, I would lift my long gown with both hands and take off my heels if I was wearing any.
    JoAnne Wheeler