Thread: First Bra Memories: For those who CDed as teens in the 60s & 70s

Girlygirl Tomboy Wannabee Toni_Lynn's Avatar

Arrow First Bra Memories: For those who CDed as teens in the 60s & 70s

The talk about being mommy's girl has also inspired a thread for me. Pardon me if this thread is somewhat more focused than some in terms of who it is geared toward.

As many of you may know I collect vintage (1960s-1970s) training bras. I have also collaborated with a GG friend about a book she is working on about said same topic.

So, my topic is this. For those of you who were teens in and began crossdressing in the late 1960s and 1970s:

1) Did you wear a training bra?
    2) Where did it come from:
    a) Bought it for yourself
    b) Wore my sister's or other girl's
    c) Mom (or other female relative) bought it for me (Mommy's Girl?)
    3) What brand and style was it (Teencharm {Pretty Please/ Littlest Angel/ Lucky Start etc}/ Teenform/ Berlei/ store brand)
    4) Describe the experience

I'm also looking for friends who had experiences in this area to share wonderful warm memories with. I'll retell my story later.

Huggles

Toni-Lynn
    --I'm TN (transnationalist) - a Canadian born in an American's body! I stand on guard for thee!

Nope.... never wore one..... I went straight for the hard stuff!! lol...
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Never had a training bra. Did have model trains. Never thought of it, actually. Interesting concept. Hope you had fun.
    JoAnne Wheeler

When I started way back in the Early 60's I never had my own bra I didn't have anything that belonged to me I found things being stored in the attic dresses and heels I spent load of time it that attic.
    Angie

I remember first real bra....

Hollywood Vassarette long-line....34b....very, very firm and tight...yummy.
    Mom's. She bought me a few later, all long-lines. Another fave was a black Formfit Rogers....
    sigh....

, my mother got me my own bra as she was upset because I was using hers. Beside as she said : it doesn't fit you proper". Not sure if it was a training bra or not but it was mine.
    Now that was back in 1955

The first bra I wore was a training bra out of my sister's panty drawer... I have no idea what brand is was, but I remember everything about the way it looked like it was just yesterday! My older sister is about 3-1/2 years older than me, so I must have been about 8 and she was 11 or 12.

It had pink fabric cups with a bit of lace all around them, a small pink bow in the middle and a very very slight bit of padding. It was a front clasp bra that closed with a sort of plastic clip.

As she got older and began to develop more, it ended up in a bag of old clothes in the attic, so I 'rescued' it and it became mine permanently until I outgrew it.
    In a society in which it is a moral offense to be different from your neighbor your only escape is never to let them find out.
    -- Robert Heinlein

My first experience was with my sisters training bra. Can't remember the brand or style but I do remember a cute little bow on the front. It was a thrilling experience when I first put it on, I still remember it.
    ColleenW

I also started in the 60s, but with no young friends to "borrow" from, I started with my mom's discarded bras in a spare bedroom dresser drawer. I would have loved to have one of my own.

Jaydee

Dressed and loving it Julieanne's Avatar
    Not sure this counts but the first bra that was really my own (and not my mom's) was of a spandex-like material. My wife helped me buy it in the early 70's. It fit tightly with no or little room for breast forms -- which I didn't start using 'till much later. I suspect we got it in the teen section. So I'll call that my training bra -- now, training for what? That's the more interesting question

Hugs, Julie

Girlygirl Tomboy Wannabee Toni_Lynn's Avatar

Smile My memories

Thank to all who replied. I hope to hear from more of you.

I promised (threatened) that I would re-tell my story -- the story of my first training bra, but I decided that I won't. Its available through the various threads here. Suffice to say it was a Teenform Pretty Please - 36 AAA with the magic 'gro-cups' that I soooo wished would work for me -- I guess I kinda figured that they'd help me boobies grow -- and well -- truth in advertising, thanks to that wonderful thing called gynecomastia -- well there you go!

But, the next several years where spend in love a affair with training bras. Riding my bike out to Grants (later Jamesway) and browsing through the styles on dispaly in the display wooden rack. Nervously holding the little cardboard box in my sweaty hands and I'd sneak back to the (boy's) change room to try on a style that I fancied. Sneaking away from my parents at K Mart and going to the girls section and looking at the display -- it was as if it was a sacred place, with the names of my favourite brands Teencharm and Teenform there on display for me to worship. Buying copies of Seventeen magazine, or clandestinely stealing the Sears, Wards, or Penney's catalog, and sticking a cut out of my head from school picture over that of the girls modeling their training bras -- and wishing that someone from the catalog companies would call and say -- we have no girls to model for us, you look so much like a girl, would you do it. falling asleep at night with my training bra on under my PJs. Wearing a Teenform Powder Puff to school under a boy's shirt. Sitting in class imagining what the other girls where wearing, and knowing that II had to be wearing the exact same training bra as at least one of the other girls. I felt such a bond, an invisible thread. Being so very jealous when my sister got her first training bra -- and crying over the attention being paid to her. All this in spite of my mum's destroying every training bra I bought after she'd find them -- this went on every 6 months or so.

*sigh* such sweet memories

And of course there is my alternate history .. where for Christmas 1970, she come to my room after all the gifts where opened, she'd hug me and hand me an unopened present. Its tear at the paper and find a Teenform Pretty Please. My mouth would drop open, and she'd explain that she'd thought it would make my gynecomastia feel better, and then she's say -- its okay -- she knew that I liked to dress up and that it would be all girls undies for me from now on. Soon I'd go to to Stacia's store in town for a proper fitting. These memories never happened, but they did fill my dreams back then. Oh to have been mommy's girl.

Huggles

Toni-Lynn

PS - While certainly not the same size -- or even the actual bra -- the attached image is one of the Teenform Powder Puff that I wore under my boy's shirt to school when I was 14. Just won it one eBay a few months ago
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Toni_Lynn; 12-27-2008 at 02:40 PM.
    --I'm TN (transnationalist) - a Canadian born in an American's body! I stand on guard for thee!

Due to constant weight fluctuations as a kid (I think that's what caused it, anyway) I've always had a little 'boobage' going on. So, I just started wearing my sister's 'hand me downs', her old clothing was kept in the attic, so I had easy access to female clothing that was only a year or two out of fashion. As she was quite tall, I had a complete wardrobe at my disposal, just one floor away. The first bras were, I think, playtex; not 'training bras', they were the real thing, with padding of course. I started with a 34aa, and went on from there, ending with her 38B cups by the time I was a senior in high school. As she got older, and mom didn't have as much a hand in what sis threw out, I just kept an eye on her garbage can and stole what I wanted to wear. Worked well until I caught up and got bigger than she was, but by that time I was out of high school, and was mail ordering my girl clothes.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I can remember it as if it were yesterday. It was my sisters bra that I tried on first. It was a Montgomery Ward brand. Plain white bra with light padding and a small pink and green flower in the center between the cups. I wore that bra and all her others as often as I could, and when I wasn't wearing mom's stuff. About three or four years ago, I actually found one just like that first one for sale on eBay. BRAND NEW IN BOX, never worn. I won that auction and now I can relive that first bra try on any time I want to.

Kandis
    Someone once told me "Put on Your big girl panties and deal with it". If they only knew, I WAS ALREADY WEARING THEM.

I wear the bras and panties so my wife doesn't have to.

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.

Banned Read only
    I don't think I'd ever worn a bra (that I can remember) up untill the age of 13 when I started really dressing as a woman and not as a little girl.

Training Bras

Never had the chance to try a training bra. My mom and sister both wore Playtex Cross Your Hearts so that was my first exposure. Wasn't until I discovered an Exquite Form bra in a neighbor's drawer that I saw the variety.

Former Member
    I never had a training bra. I remember wearing moms bras with water balloons to fill them out when I was a teenager. Now I have like a dozen of my own bras. Some fit my forms, some fit the natural me.

Hey, no one needs to know I wear bras under my man clothes.......