Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you find your womens shoe size using those feet measurers at shoe stores?

Banned Read only

How do you find your womens shoe size using those feet measurers at shoe stores?

I don't have any womens shoes and I would like to have some. The problem is I don't know my womens shoe size. I'm a mens size 8.5

How do you find your womens shoe size using those feet measurers at shoe stores? (I'm from the USA)

I really don't like any of those shoes at Payless, and I scared of shopping at department stores if a man will help fit shoes. So I need to find my shoe size and just shop ebay.

Can anyone help?

There's really no difference between men and women sizes. I am a 8 1/2W men and I wear a 8 1/2W womens shoe.

My first shoes I've bought online. I used measurement table on that site... Actually, you are so lucky with your shoe size, mine is 13... Both, male and female. So you have way more selection available to you

Banned Read only

Hard to believe they're same.

Quote Originally Posted by joannplano
    There's really no difference between men and women sizes. I am a 8 1/2W men and I wear a 8 1/2W womens shoe.
    It's hard to believe mens and womens shoes sizes are the same. So I guess I will try 8.5 at a store before I buy on ebay. But I don't know my width.

In european size table they are exact the same. I don't really know why in US male and female sizes different. Because I wear size 13 male and 13 female...

Girl in disguise Emily Ann Brown's Avatar

Sorry to burst your bubble girls

I'm a mens 10 1/2 so I usually buy 11 in womens shoes. However, I have seen womens 11 that were too small (?) or too big (makes a little sense) and today at WallyWorld the 10s I tried on were almost too big (??). Yes I said tried on...right there in the aisle! I took off my loafers (on my lunch break) and put my stocking clad feet (without socks) in the shoes and stood up. Glad I did so I got a good fit. The lady at the end of the aisle wasn't none too happy about it by the look on her face, but I have heels that fit. Nothing beats an actual trying on of your intended purchase.

Emily Ann

Like men's shoes, women's sizes vary according to style and maker. For that reason, I would never buy a pair of shoes without trying them on, unless I could return them.

Supposedly you add 2 to your mens' size to get your ladies' size (US), but that's just a rule of thumb. I'm 8-1/2 to 9-1/2 in men's and 10-1/2 to 11 in ladies'.

Tgirls are usually a little happier with a "wide" ladies' size, such as 10W as opposed to 10.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Rachel Ann; 06-10-2005 at 03:02 PM.
    In another time's forgotten space
    Your eyes looked through your mother's face
    Wildflower seed and sand and stone
    May the four winds blow you safely home
    - Robert Hunter

Platinum Member
    ok i am a size 10 men's and a size 10 womans ......

Men's and Women's sizes

Hi Jesse,

I figure I can help some, since I spent several years working in shoe departments in the past. I also frequently buy shoes for myself and women's shoes for Angel.

The thing they measure your foot with is called a Brannock device; you put your heel in the heel cup and look at the number closest to your toe. That's your toe length. Then you adjust the sliding pointer so that it rests against the ball of your foot--that gives you your arch length. Your best size will be the larger of the two readings, or sometimes it will be in between the two. In shoe stores, there is usually a separate Brannock device for men's and women's shoes. The men's is black, and the women's is purple. As I recall, the women's only goes up to a ladies' size 13.

It will probably be easier for you to just convert from your men's size. Whatever your men's size number is, add 1.5 to get your women's size. For example, Angel wears a men's size US 7, and a women's US 8 1/2. Different brands and styles may run "large" or "small," however. Angel's girly Keds, and some of his fetishy 5" heels, are a size 8.

Those who are saying that you wear the same size in both men's and women's, is it possible that you may be in the habit of wearing men's shoes that are actually too big for you? I saw this a lot when I worked in shoes, especially with guys and their athletic shoes which were often 2 sizes too big for them. Otherwise I don't know how to explain it

Hope this helps a little.
    Last edited by Marla GG; 06-10-2005 at 03:06 PM. Reason: responded to wrong poster's name
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And if the people stare
    Then the people stare
    Oh, I really don't know and I really don't care....

--The Smiths

Chelsea Von Chastity gender_blender's Avatar
    You can always ask the store staff for assistance.
    They're paid to help.

I wear a 9 in either.

Charlie

Hi Jesse, you have NO SHOES!!!! OH MY GOD!! for me, the rule of men's (US) plus 1.5 is right on. I have high arches, so I always try to get wide shoes. I have bought more than 20 pairs of shoes, pumps, boots on eBay, with only one pair not fitting (a bit large). If you are men's 8.5, lucky you! You have limitless choices. Check out some of the mail order (Sears, Penny's etc) measurements. I have purchased shoes at Payless, Sears and other stores. Wear your nylons. It is a rush. wenda.

I have to agree with MarlaGG... 1 1/2 larger than your male shoe size.

I'm a 9 to 9 1/2 in mens and a 10 1/2 Wide women's is perfect... but hard to find. Most of my heels are 11 Regular though and are very comfortable.

For first time buyers... I might suggest looking for sling back heels as they are more forgiving regarding size. (They are the ones without a back but have an adjustable strap to hold your heel.) They can be a bit snug but still fit.

Laughing>>> I will admit that I do buy my men's shoes a bit large. I'm on my feet all day and work outside. Tight shoes are hot and my feet swell, a lot, by the end of the day! In the winter, need room for extra foam pads plus thick socks!

My dress shoes and western boots are more stylish and a better fit!!!
    [size=3]---Jen--------- [/size][size=1]*[/size]

Tristen Cox
    Uhm Jen? I take 12 mens and can fit twelve womens easy with closed heel and closed toe. I even have boots that are 11w and are big on me. The only difference is when I go over a 3" heel then I have to go up another size per inch almost. I have wide feet too. Just stating my side of things.

Smile shoe size

I downloaded a women's shoe sizer from payless.com. I used that to determine my shoe size in women's shoes
    To all the ladies I have met here farewell for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristen Cox
    ... The only difference is when I go over a 3" heel ...
    Ah, at least a problem that I don't have to live with.
    Last edited by Rachel Ann; 06-11-2005 at 12:47 AM.
    - Robert Hunter

Here is a conversion chart I found on an online shoe store. I'm not sure how accurate it is as I wear a size 11 1/2 to 12 in mens and a 12WW or 13W in Women's. I have been able to fit into women's 12W in some styles, but not many.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Love and Hugs,
    Jessica

Question

:no: Maybe those "fetish" heels are smaller!!!

Or... all you guys are buying your men's shoes from this place... they do run a bit larger ! ! ! :duh:
    [size=3]---Jen--------- [/size][size=1]*[/size]

Automatic tranny Ashley Allison's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marla GG
    Those who are saying that you wear the same size in both men's and women's, is it possible that you may be in the habit of wearing men's shoes that are actually too big for you? I saw this a lot when I worked in shoes, especially with guys and their athletic shoes which were often 2 sizes too big for them. Otherwise I don't know how to explain it

I own about 60 pairs of men's atheletic shoes, so I know a little bit about this. It's actually a pretty common phenomenon. One possible reason why this happens is because as children grown parents tend to anticipate growth spurts and by shoes that slightly larger. Thus, some people might wear shoes larger than their actual size because they got use it as a child and never had the growth spurt that their parents originally anticipated.

Banned Read only
    Hi Jesse,

I figure I can help some, since I spent several years working in shoe departments in the past. I also frequently buy shoes for myself and women's shoes for Angel.

The thing they measure your foot with is called a Brannock device; you put your heel in the heel cup and look at the number closest to your toe. That's your toe length. Then you adjust the sliding pointer so that it rests against the ball of your foot--that gives you your arch length. Your best size will be the larger of the two readings, or sometimes it will be in between the two. In shoe stores, there is usually a separate Brannock device for men's and women's shoes. The men's is black, and the women's is purple. As I recall, the women's only goes up to a ladies' size 13.
    Ok, thanks for your response. But I guess I still don't know how to use it and will go to Payless and ask a women sale clerk to help me. Otherwise I'll just convert my size - but it would be nice to find out how to use the device to get your shoe width.

I find the shoes at Payless ugly and I rarely see nice enough shoes at the thirft stores.

Bunny's submissive girl CharleneCD's Avatar

Marla, I do exactly this because my feet are wide. I have gotten used to having room for my toes that I tend to get larger than I need. 11's are too narrow so I go for 12 or 13. If I can get wide I go for the 12 to give me the xtra room im used to. So i use 12 or 13 womens.
    Charlene

Learn To Love Yourself And You will Find That Others Have Always Loved You But You Can Now Accept It.

I wear between 8.5 and 9 in men's footwear, depending on the shoe. A woman's 10 or 11 usually works for me. If they are dress shoes, with a pointy toe or if they are heels, I will go for the 11. If they look easy to get into, I'll buy the 10. I am rarely dissapointed.

Hugs,

Melissa
    Last edited by Melissa A.; 06-11-2005 at 01:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Another point, if the shoes are manmade material, you can often customize them with a heat gun or a hair dryer on high. I broke a toe in a 'non-competetive' human foos ball event, so I have custom fitted most of my shoes. I wear an athletic stocking on that foot, heat the shoe where it is tight, and then put it on and wear it until it is room temp. When I replace the sock with a nylon, it fits like a dream. wenda.

I'm a men's 9 1/2 or 10 in Canada.

In a women's open toed shoe I'm usually a 10 but sometime find a 9 1/2 that will work. In a closed toe shoe I'm a womens 10 1/2 or 11. Fortunately I've a narrow foot and don't need the wide styles.

Depends lot on the make and cut of the shoe. Trying them on in the store is the only way to know. Or buy through something like the Sears catalog where you can return them if they don't fit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

i am what I am, I do what I do..
    i do not seek approval from others.

One would think that with a "global economy", they would get around to standardizing this at some point. :mad:
    - Robert Hunter