Thread: Are CD and OCD related?

Are CD and OCD related?

In a previous thread Crossdrezzer1 asked, "Have you ever gone out and thought to yourself,, did I put my stuff away in my secret hiding spot or did I forget and leave whatever lying on the bed,,, This has happened to me many times and so far when returning home I look to see and I havent left anything laying around but sure makes a long day thinking about it.."

Jonianne replied, "Did I lock the door? Did I leave the stove on? Did I close the refergerator? Happens to me all the time. Sometimes it's called OCD."

Barbaraheels said, "God, when haven't I thought about that! I guess its just paranoia. But then again I think I'm obsesive compulsive anyway."

And Linnea wrote, "Oh, yes, many times! However, I also have worried about leaving the water running, forgetting to turn the oven off, etc."

There are studies and reports that suggest a connection between CD'ing and OCD ("Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder"). Are many of us both?

Banned Read only
    Not me. I'm a scatterbrained slob.

studies have found

Most crossdressers are human.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

Of course you will find that some CDs do exhibit OCD, and others have not OCD.

To assess there exists whatever link between CD and OCD (or to assess the opposite) it would need an adequate - and lenghty - study.

I think it would be more promising to seek for any link between personality and CDing, using for instance the Big 5 factors. Introversion/Extraversion is one of those 5 factors, and it appears already that CDers are as an average more introverted than non-CDers (I already did a poll about that).

What doesn't imply that you cannot find extremely extraverted CDers. And there are quite a few very extraverted CDers, including on this forum.

Doubt it. It would depend on the individual person I believe.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Content and Happy
    With so many labels for human activity, I wander what's normal anymore. When someone does something different, the medical world sticks a label on it.
    [SIZE="3"]Lanore[/SIZE]

Though my wife says I obsess over things... I'm too lazy to be compulsive.. And I'm sloppy also.. We have a couple relatives with OCD... And I'm not one of them! Lol
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Interesting! If you see a good link to a study like this, post it plz.

In this case, no OCD at all. Very little I've ever obsessed over.
    -Sedona

My spouse thinks so ! I do not know if I have OCD or not, but she is convinced that it plays a part.
    JoAnne Wheeler

funny you should say that because my wife says to me all the time I have ocd for little things I do,,, also that I am compulsive in things,, she is my tutor in life and has helped me in many aspects of training me to be a better person,,,god I love her... she is understanding in this aspect of my life and allows a little to be around her,, once in a while she starts it up with the cd thing and plays with me in ways I wont get into,,but most of the time she asks me to keep it to myself..

I'm not OCD. With my CDing I've had to learn to be careful. My comparison to leaving the water running, etc. was meant to suggest that it's not unusual to wonder about such things. However, when I leave my house in the morning to go to work, I seldom think about whether or not I left the oven on.
    warmly, Linnea

While the behaviors may seem to be related, they probably aren't. You can treat OCD; the same treatments have never worked when trying to treat crossdressing. As far as being both, I would suppose it is, of course, possible.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

I've never been OCD about anything!

That is, until I started dressing! I DO find I'm out of control sometimes now. And not able to put aside dressing for more necessary, but ordinary things, like chores!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!